Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Having mulled over the 8th Doctor Time War announcement some more I've come to conclusion that they're only getting my money if they get Timothy Dalton back as Rassilon :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Having mulled over the 8th Doctor Time War announcement some more I've come to conclusion that they're only getting my money if they get Timothy Dalton back as Rassilon :colbert:

Or, failing that, Pearce Brosnan as his regeneration.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Baron Snow posted:

My cousin just sent me this

How did Daleks get into the TARDIS? Come on now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That really does look terrible. The CB Tardis set was enormous and their Daleks were just about perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HD DAD posted:

Actually, it's not gibberish. That's the sign for "you're beautiful". That explains her smile and then confusion since his lips didn't match the sign.

Haha, that's even better :allears:

Edit: As for the TARDIS not translating her signs for him, that actually reminds me of The Web Planet where the Doctor confidently explains he can talk to the ants through a series of gestures. He then performs those gestures and the ants don't know what the gently caress he's talking about, and he gets all pissed off and insists that there must be something wrong with THEM (he ends up being right, but I like the idea he was just miffed at getting his signing wrong :allears:)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

We better get John Hurt vs Terry Molloy, is all I'm saying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

thespaceinvader posted:

Is it just me or did anyone else see this bit and think 'why isn't the TARDIS translating this? Sign is as much a language as speech.'

That bugged me a bit.

The translation matrix always seemed to work by replacing the language in question with English (or whatever language they were speaking), I can see a physical language being outside of its ability.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cleretic posted:

The translation matrix always seemed to work by replacing the language in question with English (or whatever language they were speaking), I can see a physical language being outside of its ability.

It can't translate the Delphon's eyebrow language.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Actually, it's not gibberish. That's the sign for "you're beautiful". That explains her smile and then confusion since his lips didn't match the sign.

Doctor gettin' his flirt on.

I assume he, the interpreter and she were all using BSL? That has to be weird if you're a deaf actor who signs and tries to get work elsewhere in the world, even if the written and spoken language is the same.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Or, failing that, Pearce Brosnan as his regeneration.

No, no, no, he regenerates into Brosnan. For older stories, his previous regeneration would have been...Roger Moore. :doh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

The Time War being depicted in the W/10/11 crossover was a Time War after all the temporal jiggery pokery was exhausted, leading to the final battle being a much more practical boots-on-the-ground slog.

I do agree with you going forward, though, cuz the meat and potatoes of the Last Great Time War is undepictable in the linear time we live in.

I kinda feel you, but it doesn't really bother me because:

1) The War Doctor novel was great

2) I'm more in it for Hurt's characterization than I am exposition and continuity

Honestly, I am not sure if I'm more excited about this than I am about the 10/Donna stuff (I guess for now it's this, since 10/Donna isn't confirmed).

I'm still kinda peeved about BF closing their forums. It was nice to get some other thoughts besides here on audios, even though I really like the audio discussion here. And it was really nice for the Dark Shadows and Blake's 7 discussion.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All this Bond-actor talk just makes me sad we'll never see the Sean Connery Rassilon.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

We better get John Hurt vs Terry Molloy Derek Jacobi, is all I'm saying.

I mean the Master should show up during the Time War, and as much as I love Alex MacQueen's Master I feel like he wouldn't play off the War Doctor as well as he does 8.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Enourmo posted:

All this Bond-actor talk just makes me sad we'll never see the Sean Connery Rassilon.
Now I'm imagining a Five Doctors with Rassilon's voice dubbed over by a Connery impersonation.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well thats what I get for waiting to say what I think about the latest episode (which was great and I ended up being surprised by it being a two parter.) However I have to say, Clara looked a bit Cherie Blair by way of Steve Bell* this episode. I hope she hasn't become ugly over the past year.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Gordon Shumway posted:

That was a really good episode, can't wait for part two. I think whoever guessed that the Doctor is in the box is right. Also, pretty sure the fact that the translator had never been in the ship and seen the words on the wall was what kept him alive when he was cornered.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's something to do with the fact they're an electromagnetic signal, or whatever the Doctor referred to it as.

Since he wasn't in there, he wasn't capable of being an "antenna". Clara and the Doctor hadn't either at that point, so they weren't either.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

There's an audio where they encounter creatures who communicate by smell. It manages to pull that off alright.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

There's an audio where they encounter creatures who communicate by smell. It manages to pull that off alright.

Don't forget their mention in a TV special!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Rhyno posted:

T.Bakes used it to remove actual screws a few times!

All we need in this season is a scene where the doctor uses the sunglasses to unscrew something, somehow, and they'll be redeemed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

My first thought when they turned up again was 'this will never last, they can't make merch out of Rayban sunglasses'.

We live in an age of Google Glass and Occulus Rift. It's just keeping up with the times grandpa.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

I don't think they ever said the word "converse" once in all of Tennant's run. So at least we were spared that.

They probably did, but in the context of its dictionary definition :reject:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That Lego is bad.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm gonna buy it anyway, but I wish it was a series 8 or 9 set instead of a series 7 one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm going to buy it just because it's actual Doctor Who Lego, and hopefully off the back of its popularity they eventually make more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

One Swell Foop posted:

All we need in this season is a scene where the doctor uses the sunglasses to unscrew something, somehow, and they'll be redeemed.

You know if the opposite happens, I would be much happier with it.

"Oh well, I can't actually unscrew this."

"Why not?"

"Well I'm not wearing a screw driver on my face now am I!"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cleretic posted:

I'm really annoyed every time they bring up the translation matrix simply switching other languages into English as if it were ever that straightforward (is the TARDIS more of a Vermeerian skopos-centric sense-for-sense kinda gal, or is she more into good old Hieronymic word-for-word formally equivalent translation?), but I guess that's just a tiny niggle compared to what physicists and other scientists must feel every week.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Forktoss posted:

I'm really annoyed every time they bring up the translation matrix simply switching other languages into English as if it were ever that straightforward (is the TARDIS more of a Vermeerian skopos-centric sense-for-sense kinda gal, or is she more into good old Hieronymic word-for-word formally equivalent translation?), but I guess that's just a tiny niggle compared to what physicists and other scientists must feel every week.

Just about every TV show - not only science fiction ones - have unrealistic physics for effect (eg guns making people fly backwards). It's about the story, not the accuracy of the science.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Forktoss posted:

The Tardis does a lot of dubbing, so word-for-word is going to get a bit difficult depending on the language. I bet it's dynamic equivalent with a bunch of Video Rewrite to smooth things over. A shame we never got to see Horse or Dinosaur translated into English.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

The Tardis does a lot of dubbing, so word-for-word is going to get a bit difficult depending on the language. I bet it's dynamic equivalent with a bunch of Video Rewrite to smooth things over. A shame we never got to see Horse or Dinosaur translated into English.

I always took that to mean that the Doctor was talking utter bullshit when he said he could speak something stupid like baby or dinosaur (or horse)

Because as nice as horses and babies are, they do not have the cognitive faculties to have language. At least not like we do.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I was not a big fan of the sonic glasses when the premiered but they used them well last episode.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, if the TARDIS translated BSL, would then signing in a society of deaf people result in your hands speaking Welsh? :v:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Burkion posted:

I always took that to mean that the Doctor was talking utter bullshit when he said he could speak something stupid like baby or dinosaur (or horse)

Because as nice as horses and babies are, they do not have the cognitive faculties to have language. At least not like we do.

:hfive: I have the same theory. Plus that the Doctor might be trolling the lesser minds around him just a bit for funsies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Hand of Evil would be a lot better if the obvious twist didn't actually happen. Although it did give us more Stephen Thorne shouting about how I CREATED THIS WOOOOORRRRLD

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Seeds of Death features probably the most accurate depiction of humanity's attitude to space travel: only do it in a government capacity as much as is required for economic reasons, leaving space exploration to be the purview of odd weirdos.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TinTower posted:

Also, if the TARDIS translated BSL, would then signing in a society of deaf people result in your hands speaking Welsh? :v:

If the Tardis translated sign language, what would a deaf person see when someone else was talking and carrying something at the same time?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

:mad: I'm going to do all my posssssssts in the idiom of the Icccce Warrior leader from thisssssss point on :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm going to buy it just because it's actual Doctor Who Lego, and hopefully off the back of its popularity they eventually make more.

A source that is apparantly trustworthy claims they have a small set designed for every Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"Oh, have you being spying on me?"
"No, we stopped that a long time ago" :laffo:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

One of the wonderful things about The Seeds of Death is that the official people involved are simultaneously somewhat accepting of the Doctor and Zoe (because they're clearly smart) but also think that the situation is pretty stupid.

It's a nice middle ground between "Trust the Doctor totally even though you have no reason to" and "Distrust the Doctor even though he's clearly competent" that should be seen more

quote:

KELLY: Commander?
RADNOR: Yes, Miss Kelly?
KELLY: Do you think it's wise letting these people crew the rocket?
RADNOR: Wise? No, of course it's not wise, but what's the alternative? We gave up training astronauts years ago.
KELLY: But who are they?
RADNOR: Some of Eldred's crazy friends, I imagine. But the man who calls himself the Doctor certainly knows his space travel.
KELLY: How can you be sure?
RADNOR: Well, you weren't at the briefing, but he and the girl know more about space flight than Eldred.
KELLY: What about the boy?
RADNOR: Yes, I'm not sure about him.

Jokes about Jamie being stupid always go down well too because they're never mean spirited

[edit]

And as with Claws of Axos, all the zingers have great delivery.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rhyno posted:

A source that is apparantly trustworthy claims they have a small set designed for every Doctor.

Between LEGO and 8th and War Doctor audios all my money is going to go to Doctor Who poo poo now.

• Locked thread