Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

14 INCH DICK posted:

You say it sarcastically but that is something that if I asked anyone who has ever met my dad if he would do that not a single person would doubt it. One time my buddy was telling me we should go to Japan and find the big Gundam they built and dress up like Ray Amuro and act like it's real and my dad was walking through the room with laundry in his hand, and on the fly hits me with "my son? More like Rei Ayanami" and leaves.

God I love this story more every time I hear it. It's like some nature vs nurture poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This thread just keeps on giving. As an audience member there's no way this can't end up interesting.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Shame that the bug is a fat chick super though. Although I guess they do work better for racing vs cruising when compared to swing axle and king/link pin.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Maybe I'm just crazy, but even with a poo poo stock dual port 1600, where's the problem?

:getin: and drive.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's no reason aside from the whole spending thousands of dollars to make it worse just to gently caress with me, which is a legimate possible outcome.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
I mean, it sounds like he would be willing to throw in and random engine that is cheap so he can laugh at you when it breaks down after four hours.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
He absolutely would, but not on this trip. A breakdown 4 hours away places a significant impact on my ability to make it to work. If anything would give him pause, it would be that. If i had a full week to make it home? Id expect nothing less than the most lavishly well stocked roadside too kit i have ever seen, conspicuously missing all screwdrivers, the 13mm socket and box end, and no spare tire or fan belt

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

14 INCH DICK posted:

He absolutely would, but not on this trip. A breakdown 4 hours away places a significant impact on my ability to make it to work. If anything would give him pause, it would be that. If i had a full week to make it home? Id expect nothing less than the most lavishly well stocked roadside too kit i have ever seen, conspicuously missing all screwdrivers, the 13mm socket and box end, and no spare tire or fan belt

I hope to one day be this type of father. I salute this man.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I vote his father be called 15" Dick from here on, because wow, what a dick. :dong:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I hope to one day be this type of father. I salute this man.

Fun fact: My grandfather was like this and as a result my dad was a passive aggressive dick towards me without the cheeriness or humor.

My grandfather was pretty awesome though. I once saw him do the old "wait till they open the door then pull forward a few feet" to my grandmother.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Fun fact: My grandfather was like this and as a result my dad was a passive aggressive dick towards me without the cheeriness or humor.

My dad differs from me in a significant way. I use the street sweeper approach to humor, have enough rate of fire that one of them is bound to be a hit sooner or later. My dad on the other hand is the nicest, most understanding, supportive dad anyone could ever ask for and once every few months manages to have been lying in wait like a comedy sniper to put one between my eyes from 900 miles away and be gone. He doesn't even need to verify the target is down, he already knows.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That sounds alot like my grandfather who one time when I was 5ish and complaining of a runny nose handed me a jar of Vicks back rub and told me to put some up my nose and it would help.

Edit: Also my dad's humor consists entirely of setting it up so you'll want to get mad over something stupid and you just sit there fuming while he laughs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 7, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Maybe he'll buy you an engine from here http://www.gex.com/content/index.htm

Hahah, holy poo poo, not only is GEX still around, but they want 4k for turn key 2 liter engines.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fukkin turnkey engines.
Bought a type 1 from some place that I can't remember and after a lot of trial and error turned out the cam they put in it was poo poo..
Learned this when all other options were excercised.
Ordered a new one (was really upset when i pulled the old one out and determined they were the same type) but when I put the new one in it ran beautifully.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

14 INCH DICK posted:

My dad differs from me in a significant way. I use the street sweeper approach to humor, have enough rate of fire that one of them is bound to be a hit sooner or later. My dad on the other hand is the nicest, most understanding, supportive dad anyone could ever ask for and once every few months manages to have been lying in wait like a comedy sniper to put one between my eyes from 900 miles away and be gone. He doesn't even need to verify the target is down, he already knows.

Your dad sounds awesome.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So the Bug sits a lot. He hasn't driven it much since the deep sump got whacked and started leaking, so if he does decide to go with a different engine I'm curious why he just told me that he received the dished "not quite so deep sump plus pickup" kit, and then discuss issues popping up bringing the motor back out 9f hybernation since my last visit down. Tally is up to carb floats need tweaking, they drain the bowls after several days sitting which obviously is a long term issue of gas contamination but as long as it's driven regularly, or say in a sustained fashion, won't be an issue at the moment. The other thing is that apparently the rear main seal is leaking. He was asking how motor oil could come out of the weep hole in the transmission and well, not too many options. So he said the car will be up on jack stands waiting for me. And if that's the case, cuts down the window for changing the entire engine over to something else also.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IIRC if the main seal's leaking don't you need to crack the case open to replace/fix it. It's been many years since my type1 rebuild.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 7, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what's the plan if you end up getting the bug the way you want it? You gonna get rid of the Civic?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tater_salad posted:

IIRC if the main seal's leaking don't you need to crack the case open to replace/fix it. It's been many years since my type1 rebuild.

Nah, rear main seal just requires pulling the engine then clutch/throwout bearing. The only reason to crack the case is to rebuild. Everything else is replaceable from outside the block. Can't remember if you have to split the case to replace the cam or not, been a few decades since I've rebuilt one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

No but the clutch comes off and you need to verify and reset crankshaft end play while you're in there. The only things I'd change in the Bug would be swapping the old CD only deck for something with an aux input, perhaps remove the front speaker kick panels for foot room, and the cage that my dad had installed is pretty much the definition of for show only and I'm torn between whether it's more dangerous to leave it in as is, or having a little bit more metal helping in side impacts. I know NOTHING about proper cage design and it's got multiple glaring geometry and construction issues to my untrained eyes.

Civic will remain. It's the first car I've ever felt like it was finally the one to hold onto, ad a backup car will help motivate things to be tackled easier.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Nah, rear main seal just requires pulling the engine then clutch/throwout bearing. The only reason to crack the case is to rebuild. Everything else is replaceable from outside the block. Can't remember if you have to split the case to replace the cam or not, been a few decades since I've rebuilt one.

I had to split it to do the cam.. I only went through like 3 sets of main bearings because i kept crushing them when they moved when re-combining

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Maybe he'll buy you an engine from here http://www.gex.com/content/index.htm

Hahah, holy poo poo, not only is GEX still around, but they want 4k for turn key 2 liter engines.

The ONLY thing TheSamba can agree on, across all of their subforums and makes, is that GEX engines are utter garbage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

14 INCH DICK posted:

I know NOTHING about proper cage design and it's got multiple glaring geometry and construction issues to my untrained eyes.

You could have CT take a look at it, he'll tell you, but honestly if there is any steel near your head it is a very bad idea for the street unless you plan on wearing a helmet driving around town.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Geirskogul posted:

The ONLY thing TheSamba can agree on, across all of their subforums and makes, is that GEX engines are utter garbage.

What, you don't like mismatched case halves and used cranks and cams in your "rebuilt" engine?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

You could have CT take a look at it, he'll tell you, but honestly if there is any steel near your head it is a very bad idea for the street unless you plan on wearing a helmet driving around town.

Also I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be 90* reinforcement cross bars held in with giant aluminum pins with pull rings and the central roll over hoop and reinforcements to the rear of the car should not be unsupported trapezoidal shaped

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
:patriot:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Been here all day, not one single ticket sold.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So coming as a complete shock to everyone I assume, that chick that's a mirror image of my ex can be quite the handful when she gets out of control. Apparently xanax and Adderall is a powerful combination as far as stubbornness and time dilation go. She decided at 11pm it was time to dye her hair blue and then proceeded to get stuck in the bathroom until about 3:30 am Alternating between singing, knocking poo poo over, and insisting thst she only had five more minutes before it was finished. Every half hour. However she did come out of the bathroom at 11:30 to ask for a hair dryer after the first bleach rinse wearing only panties and a towel she clearly believed she was holding over her chest and not somewhere round the navel instead and I'm like uh dude cover up my room mates are in the kitchen and she was all I AM and goes to ask them for a hair dryer. I hear them shout hey is she okay and I shout back yeah she's fine. Eventually she comes out finally and decides to rock around my room in panties and this really loose knit wide looped sheer sweater thing with the high beams on and every time I looked she told me to stop staring at her. And then says she can't believe how amazing it is to finally hang out with someone who's not trying to get anything out of her like me.

I'm just glad that I'm finally moving past all the baggage and drama and nightmares and scars from my ex. And moral of the story the poor little thing was so tuckered out that once she finally passed out I figured there wasn't any harm in letting her sleep it off while I went to work.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You're going to come home today and there will be four crackhead squatters in place of your roommates.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
loving guarantee you being in that bathroom was like recreating Memento with hair dye

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So....how'd her hair turn out?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Would it shock you to hear not well

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
I mean, fried, messed up hair dyed a spectrum of colors does sound like it could match her persona a well.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

torpedan posted:

I mean, fried, messed up hair dyed a spectrum of colors does sound like it could match her persona a well.

Previously a deep, bold loose curled brown like one might see on Israeli or Greek women, now with the texture and body of Dr. Emmett Lathrop Brown :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

14 INCH DICK posted:

Previously a deep, bold loose curled brown like one might see on Israeli or Greek women, now with the texture and body of Dr. Emmett Lathrop Brown :v:

dont post excerpts from my fetish diary thx

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

dont post excerpts from my fetish diary thx

Oh.good so you already know why I made sure to attach a treble hook on 20 pound test with about a half ounce of lead split shot to all those foley catheters

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

14, you're a gift that keeps on giving.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I told y'all the chick with a titty tattoo that reads "daddy's girl" and two inked revolvers at her waist band was a little too tame for the esoteric and unconventional needs my miswired brain demands. And if the Bug truly is coming home with me I shall once again come round full circle, returned home to the fires of Mount Doom from whence I was forged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread