Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Xtanstic posted:

I would have been so pissed if they didn't save Simmons

I was fully expecting the "within arms reach but yanked away too soon" ending, because O'Brien Must Suffer seems to be Fitz's fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh christ, Werner's a Psych major.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Umm, holy gently caress they know how to end episodes this season.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Awwww man you can't have MacNicol drop that Inhuman hint and not follow up

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

That promo though.... not looking forward to maximum CW with quake and lightning dude

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Fitz rescuing Simmons is one of the best things the show has ever done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

I was fully expecting the "within arms reach but yanked away too soon" ending, because O'Brien Must Suffer seems to be Fitz's fate.

True, but then he'd just want to try again. On some logical level I was thinking "they can't get this close and just stall more", but in the moment, drat tense.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mikeraskol posted:

Awwww man you can't have MacNicol drop that Inhuman hint and not follow up

I wouldn't be surprise this isn't the last we see of Asgard. Hopefully meaning more Lady Sif this season. :swoon:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I wouldn't be surprise this isn't the last we see of Asgard. Hopefully meaning more Lady Sif this season. :swoon:

I dunno, she's kinda busy this year. Had ink done.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Xtanstic posted:

That promo though.... not looking forward to maximum CW with quake and lightning dude

Eh, This show has been solid so far with romances. I'll let it breath.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

Agreed. That was amazing.

What a stellar ep. Even the B and C plots were interesting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

howe_sam posted:

That was more tense and better edited than anything in the past five Marvel movies.

Also he just rescued a Skrull, calling it now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That would make sense that a Kree portal would go to a Skull world maybe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I'm thinking a prison world for Skrull which are the number one threat to Kree and by extension Inhumans. Fits with the Death By Punishment engraving as well.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ughh Peter MacNicol's inhumans tease is really bugging me. Gimme some exposition vomit already! Really fun episode overall, and liking the team's dynamics when everyone is more or less splintered and in a different role than usual.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

Yeah I'm thinking a prison world for Skrull which are the number one threat to Kree and by extension Inhumans. Fits with the Death By Punishment engraving as well.

But the thing was on Earth so it was most likely a tool the Kree used to off Inhumans.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Well if it does lead to a Kree homeworld it could have just been a way home for the Krees while they were loving around with human genetics, right? It may not have started out as something specifically for murderin'.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Fitz is the bravest character in the MCU. Steve Rogers step aside.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

greatn posted:

Fitz is the bravest character in the MCU. Steve Rogers step aside.

Seriously. I was fully expecting him to jump in there, but I was certainly not prepared for the scene that followed. Honestly, probably the best Marvel scene to date, in my opinion, let alone SHIELD scene. The whole episode was seriously fantastic. MayDad, Ward, Coulson, Blair Underwood, Hunter. Makes the next episode focusing on Lincoln a little upsetting, but I'm expecting amazing things from this season based off these first two episodes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Maybe they weren't killing them they were sending them to fight in the Kree Skull

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Fitz is da MVP.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sorry to be all :spergin:, :science:, and :goonsay: but radiocarbon dating is only effective dating samples up to around 58,000 to 62,000 years old. Also, the sample needs to be from dead organic material that had directly or indirectly absorbed atmospheric carbon dioxide that contains trace amounts of Carbon-14 that was created from the exposure of nitrogen to cosmic rays in the upper atmosphere. Plus, it is unlikely that it would provide meaningful information for material taken from an alien planet that may have different ratio of Carbon-12 and Carbon-14 than that on Earth. Potassium-argon dating or uranium-lead dating would have been a more appropriate method to use in this case as both have an effective upper age limit in the tens of billion of years. It also has less finicky parameters since you only need a compound containing potassium-40 or uranium-235 or -238 in a sample that has trapped and only contains the argon or lead created by the radioactive decay of potassium or uranium respectively.

Of course, that would have required that there is a compound containing potassium or uranium was in that sand even though they said it was just plain silicon dioxide. Also, radiocarbon dating is the most well known form of radiometric dating so the term was probably used for the majority of the audience's benefit. I bet most people would probably go "what the gently caress is potassium-argon or radiometric dating?"

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 7, 2015

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

It's magic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or Fitz was making poo poo up so they'd believe him that it's a portal.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Thor has a hammer that lets him fly by throwing it and then grabbing the back of it so that it drags him along. Who cares that they TV-shorthanded "this poo poo is really old."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Remember how Ward saved Simmons by jumping out of a plane? This was way cooler than that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Remember how Ward saved Simmons by jumping out of a plane? This was way cooler than that.

He then made up for it by dropping her out of a plane.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Golfing May is the hottest 50 year old woman alive

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So calling Bobbie an Amazon Woman had to be a nod to the Wonder Woman show that never got off the ground right? BJ Britt was also apparently involved! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740828/

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

She's gone all Fred.

you can take the girl out of Pylea

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
"Your father died a meaningless death."

Nice jab at AoU. :v: Awesome episode, gifs coming tomorrow (technically today, I guess).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, they sure know how to pack a lot into every episode now. Great stuff.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I hope that isn't the end of the monolith story considering how important that made it seem. Too many unanswered questions and now its destroyed :( Where does it go? How did Simmons survive 3 months there? Did anyone else see a shadow of someone else in the storm? Why was that secret society they sending people through it? Looks like they carried a message with them.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Also I'm totally down with Agents of SHIELD: Black Ops, with May and Hunter.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Edward IV posted:

Sorry to be all :spergin:, :science:, and :goonsay: but radiocarbon dating is only effective dating samples up to around 58,000 to 62,000 years old.

Ok. Like, yes, it perked my ears up too, but I let it go just as quick. This isn't CSI we're talking about. This is people aboard some sciency-magic anti-gravity plane with open-air holograms, low-symptom paralyzing toxin, directed energy weapons and superpowers that are granted by chemicals or transferred genetically by some sort of metamorphosis.

I mean, what they call "carbon dating" could be something totally different. It probably would have been, but they referred to it as "carbon dating" because it's an easy shortcut to understanding for most people watching. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My brother's a few timezones ahead so he gave me a trigger warning on the carbon dating. We're nitpickers about such things.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Great episode. I really like AoS' habit of keeping storylines concise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Golfing May is the hottest 50 year old woman alive

I laughed harder that I should have at the "mid-life crisis... early mid-life crisis" joke. That was a cute little nod to that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Turns out, we are standing inside the worlds largest sub woofer.

:smug: yeeeeeaaaahhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ded posted:

Turns out, we are standing inside the worlds largest sub woofer.

:smug: yeeeeeaaaahhh

That made me laugh out loud.

• Locked thread