Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mackers posted:

The US is there to bomb ISIS about as much as Russia is.

explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Murgos posted:

I'm sorry. I missed something. Did someone just un-ironically use Rambo III as source material for an argument?

It's a Reagan era film celebrating the Mujahadeen struggle against the Soviet Occupation - its an interesting document like 'Your Job in Germany' or 'Red Nightmare'.

Remember when the civil war was starting up and the Russians coincidentally launched a test ICBM that was visible throughout the Middle East?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Cippalippus posted:

It's curious how everyone here values the Russian military based on an intervention made over 30 years ago by a multinational force lead by the Soviet Union.

There have been more recent Russian interventions in Ukraine and the Caucasus in these years, and while one might disagree with those, they have certainly been well executed and haven't left countries in the middle of civil wars, like every single American intervention.

American intervention in the Syrian civil war, in particular, has been a tragedy for Syria. When you decide to intervene, you either go in or you don't. Bombing runs and arms to the rebels just make sure that no side can clearly win, it just fuels the war.

I suppose frozen conflicts where Russia maintains permanent military presences in breakaway regions that most governments refuse to acknowledge as separate countries are better than active civil wars, yes.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Cippalippus posted:

It's curious how everyone here values the Russian military based on an intervention made over 30 years ago by a multinational force lead by the Soviet Union.

There have been more recent Russian interventions in Ukraine and the Caucasus in these years, and while one might disagree with those, they have certainly been well executed and haven't left countries in the middle of civil wars, like every single American intervention.

You are parroting talking points based on fantasy rather than facts, go read more. Estimated Russian military casualties from just Chechnya are over 15k, with likely over 100k civilian dead. The region is also directly in their sphere of influence, with cultural similarities and no need for extensive logistics, and they still haven't fully ended the insurgency after nearly three decades.

As for their strategy, there is none beyond support chosen leader through force until they fall, then double-down and start over. Mass killings and rampant destruction do not end insurgencies. Sure they've made Grozny all pretty, but the same problems are below the surface. Russia hasn't learned that simply holding the cities doesn't mean you've won. Ever heard the saying "You can't kill your way out of an insurgency?" Neither have the Russians, and I imagine they will get another lesson on it in Syria.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dodoman posted:

There are multiple flight paths it could take, so quite a few.

Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, maybe Turkey and Iraq.

The least would seem to be just Iran and Iraq if the ships were located in the bottom half of the Caspian.

Big question I have is why? They have jets in the area that presumably could of bombed the targets much cheaper. The only three things I can think of is maybe it was the faster option and time was crutial, allthough as their was eleven targets this seems about doubtful, maybe they were going after something fortified needed something stronger, or maybe just a show of strength by Russia.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
John Kerry raises Syria no-fly zone despite Obama's skepticism

lmfao good luck with that

edit: RT video of cruise missile launches.

Mackers fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 7, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

dr_rat posted:

The least would seem to be just Iran and Iraq if the ships were located in the bottom half of the Caspian.

Big question I have is why? They have jets in the area that presumably could of bombed the targets much cheaper. The only three things I can think of is maybe it was the faster option and time was crutial, allthough as their was eleven targets this seems about doubtful, maybe they were going after something fortified needed something stronger, or maybe just a show of strength by Russia.

Maybe they figured a large battle like this would be an obvious place for the rebels to concentrate their MANPADS and wanted to minimize the risk?

Though honestly I don't know, maybe they just figured they weren't doing anything else with them so might as well.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

God they've got to be getting tired of him doing this poo poo. He's off message pretty much constantly and it's led to some real messes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

Maybe they figured a large battle like this would be an obvious place for the rebels to concentrate their MANPADS and wanted to minimize the risk?

Though honestly I don't know, maybe they just figured they weren't doing anything else with them so might as well.

That's pretty much it. This is a great opportunity for Russia to showcase their ballistic missile technology being fired in anger, for when they start shopping them around to other countries. It also plays good with the Russian press the same way Tomahawk strikes did for the US.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cippalippus posted:

Your idea is that if Assad had stepped down, a moderate and secular regime would've taken the place, able to keep the Islamic unrest at bay.
But what happened in Libya?

Post-Gaddafi Libya is orders of magnitude less hosed than Syria at this point. In the last couple years more people have been killed by fighting in Ukraine than in Libya

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Several SAA armored vehicles reported lost in the Hama offensive so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_VIYWGDsg

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dr_rat posted:

One reason may be some more indepth Flak AA defense? That or simply a show of force.

coma
Oct 21, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

Post-Gaddafi Libya is orders of magnitude less hosed than Syria at this point. In the last couple years more people have been killed by fighting in Ukraine than in Libya

Considering it's a power vacuum full of a million different militant gangs I don't really think comparing the two 'at this point' is really all that productive since the current state of Libya could be described as "a powder keg waiting to go off"

coma
Oct 21, 2010

dr_rat posted:

1) Missiles aren't at risk of getting shot down by surprise AA installments

2) Hey everyone l@@k at our dope missiles buy now LOW PRICE GUARANTEED

3) Showing off their budding relationship with a disgruntled Iraq, poking holes that Russia's involvement is just "Russia, Syria, and Iran vs. The World"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

coma posted:

1) Missiles aren't at risk of getting shot down by surprise AA installments

Yes they are.

coma
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes they are.

I was using shot down to mean "shot down to the ground and then maybe captured with grisly execution footage" not just "blown up in the sky"

coma
Oct 21, 2010

Also I doubt IS has ballstic missile defense technology just sitting around

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

coma posted:

Considering it's a power vacuum full of a million different militant gangs I don't really think comparing the two 'at this point' is really all that productive since the current state of Libya could be described as "a powder keg waiting to go off"

One point to be made is while the actual number of combat dead is still low, the country is increasingly destabilized and the sole corner stone of its economy (oil) is barely productive. If anything Libya is more or less just surviving on currency reserves from the Qaddafi period, and that may only last 1-2 more years at this point. A big impetus for the peace deal is that if both sides don't do something, the entire country is going to fully collapse in the near future.

That said, a lot of the long-term damage that happens to countries isn't shown by numbers of war dead, but the long term economic and social consequences of action. Bosnia and Kosovo are still complete messes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wot? someone is using it's airforce and cruise missiles and arming it's tyrannical (and apartheid) client states to the teeth to project its political/financial interests and oppress the people of the region? THOSE BASTARDS. nobody has ever done something so horrible before! especially not for decades and decades!

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
A lot more SAA TOW losses today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvUsqkZykRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtibdbC_7TI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFjgklNVf4

Seems they're this wars stingers

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 7, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cruise missiles actually travel relatively slowly. They're actually easier to shoot down than manned aircraft (no evasive actions, counter measures, etc.). If you can spot them of course.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Russia sure doesn't seem scared of flying low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKa4_ZCNXc

This is supposedly one of the cruise missiles launched from the Caspian making its way over Iraq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zIKziWYVx8

XK fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 7, 2015

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

XK posted:

Russia sure doesn't seem scared of flying low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKa4_ZCNXc

Are those rpgs flying by?
It's really only a matter of time before one gets lucky.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

sparatuvs posted:

Are those rpgs flying by?
It's really only a matter of time before one gets lucky.

Looks like popping flares.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Well from the map in this video looks like Russia is claiming they went over Iran and Iraq. Is it likely Iran would put up much of a fuss about this? Both Iran and Russia support seem to be supporting Assad so.... unlikely?

Ardennes posted:

One reason may be some more indepth Flak AA defense? That or simply a show of force.

Ikasuhito posted:

Fair enough. Show of force does seem the most reasonable. Although worrying about anti-air weaponry does make sense.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 7, 2015

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
ISIS supposedly verifying that Russian strikes are indeed targeting them by putting up photos of Russian cruise missile remnants.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

That one explodes far before hitting, could this be some active defense sytem ? There are also some BMP's and infantry following the tank which is far more coordinated then usual.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly it would be bizarre of the Russians to not actively target ISIS, for propaganda value if nothing else (and there is much else - ISIS has emerged as the most solid existential opposition to Assad, and Russia has its own problems with islamic extremists). it's just that they're not likely to discriminate too heavily between ISIS and e.g. al-Nusra or the Islamic Front or the FSA or(...)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rip Testes posted:

ISIS supposedly verifying that Russian strikes are indeed targeting them by putting up photos of Russian cruise missile remnants.

ISIS just seem to really hate it when no one is paying any attention to them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here's an old classic that I thought had been lost to the ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HWuTf_nhMDw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CeeJee posted:

That one explodes far before hitting, could this be some active defense sytem ? There are also some BMP's and infantry following the tank which is far more coordinated then usual.
Looks like active defence system indeed, maybe some T-62 with Drozd.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 7, 2015

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHyh5t5g7GQ

that brings the total to 5 vehicles down today alone

edit: 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG9PEwhuzAA

e2:Some sources saying a dozen vehicles lost today.
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/651656179685453825

e3:8 confirmed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGY9UzCSpWs

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

CeeJee posted:

Actually I think it just slammed into to the post that was in the way, you can see it better after the explosion.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well Russia Today decided to send Nimrod Kamer to try and interview me today, which for some reason included doorstepping my mother and filming the house she was in. Guess they've moved on from just having a go at me on RT to harassing my family.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Ikasuhito posted:

Actually I think it just slammed into to the post that was in the way, you can see it better after the explosion.

That's what you get for being the 13th division.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Updates from BBC:

quote:

Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said four warships fired 26 sea-based cruise missiles on 11 targets, destroying them and causing no civilian casualties.

No civilian casualties huh, sure pal. If they fired 26 I guess they could afford to lose a few though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rip Testes posted:

ISIS is still a legit threat to Assad, Russia will strike them. But ISIS is not at Assad's doorstep in the same way, so the strategy seems to be pretty clear. Reestablish a front with both the rebels and ISIS, and attempt to remove/minimize the rebels before attempting to seriously tackle ISIS. For now they will most likely just try and stop any ISIS offensives on Assad territory.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Well Russia Today decided to send Nimrod Kamer to try and interview me today, which for some reason included doorstepping my mother and filming the house she was in. Guess they've moved on from just having a go at me on RT to harassing my family.

You may want to be cooking your own meals and sending someone else to do your grocery shopping lest someone tries to make you a polonium omelette.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Neat if Assad/Russia/Iran are negotiating a pretend attack against ISIS but instead both them and ISIS focus on rebels/Kurds then split up Syria between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So I looked up a picture of Nimrod Kramer. he looks like a cartoon character of what a paid Russian underling would look like.

Oh wait he's Israeli, no wonder he has no sense of boundaries.

• Locked thread