Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
They should just give everyone who had tickets to the cancelled McNeese game tickets to this one

Cupcake for a cupcake

But for real sorry that your state is now Atlantis and I hope South Carolina fans get to enjoy the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spintzel posted:

They should just give everyone who had tickets to the cancelled McNeese game tickets to this one

Cupcake for a cupcake

Toledo had to cancel their cupcake game too.

let's get Toledo vs. LSU on the schedule :getin:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Y'all forget that there is some precedent for this: LSU had a home game in Tempe, AZ once.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

DJExile posted:

Toledo had to cancel their cupcake game too.

let's get Toledo vs. LSU on the schedule :getin:

I thought Toledo did play Arkansas? :confused:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When's the next time LSU and SCAR have cross-division matchups with each other? 2021/2022, barring any conference realignment?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee has released Pig Howard.

He was Some Pig.

RIP

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

^^^Whoa, what?

Raku posted:

so we can confirm that if LSU lost this weekend it would be the greatest upset in SC history, right?

It wouldn't be THE biggest, but it would certainly rank as an all-timer given the circumstances.

Pakled posted:

When's the next time LSU and SCAR have cross-division matchups with each other? 2021/2022, barring any conference realignment?

Yeah, I think it's 2020.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spintzel posted:

I thought Toledo did play Arkansas? :confused:

ha :thurman:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So Duke Williams got dismissed because he lost his drat mind and assaulted 4 people in a bar. Maybe go have a Coke and a smile, Duke.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Bat posted:

So Duke Williams got dismissed because he lost his drat mind and assaulted 4 people in a bar. Maybe go have a Coke and a smile, Duke.

Give him a break: they very well could've been members of the LaPlace mafia out to get him.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

RumbleFish posted:

^^^Whoa, what?

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt/Vols-dismiss-Pig-Howard-40046348

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Spurrier's supposed to be having a live press conference here in a few minutes on Sportscenter.

EDIT: Nothing new. Spurrier said decision was made due to strains on law enforcement/first responders. Kickoff will either be at 11am or 4pm (as of now). Talked with Les & said this move is probably the best decision.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 7, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mbGKzOjJs

Former Clemson head coach Hootie Ingram, responsible for the logo change to the Tiger Paw tells the story behind it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Andichu, what happened to Karl Joseph that SmokingMusket is so sad about?

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently he injured his knee in a non-contact drill and is out for the season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

quote:

One of the more notorious games took place in 2000 inside Iowa's practice facility, when a brawl erupted in the second half, though no punches were thrown. In 2003, dissension ensued when Wisconsin's managers brought in Thomas Hammock, a former standout running back at Northern Illinois. Hammock, now the running backs coach for the Baltimore Ravens, was filling in as a manager at the time and later became a graduate assistant for the Badgers' football team. Wisconsin won the game 18-0.

"Him coming in I think made the thing a lot more serious," said former Iowa team manager Dan Wolfe, who played from 2004-08 and heard about the infamous Hammock game. "Then it became we were hiring guys based on if they were high school football players. They had to have played. By the time I was gone, I'd say 90 percent of the guys played high school ball and were pretty serious about it."

Quite often, the game can resemble something of an infirmary. In years past, it was not uncommon for players to suffer concussions, broken noses, dislocated shoulders and kneecaps. In 2004, two Wisconsin managers collided heads while trying to stop an Iowa running back. Both were taken off the field via ambulance for stitches, and one needed surgery on his face.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13820467/battle-student-managers-wisconsin-badgers-iowa-hawkeyes-stuff-legend

Pretty awesome story on the yearly flag game between the student managers of Iowa and Wisconsin (which Iowa regrettably lost this year, continuing a recent trend after dominating for the better part of the 00s)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

It wouldn't be THE biggest, but it would certainly rank as an all-timer given the circumstances.

Yall's kicker is adorbs.

:allears:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

*dog whistle*

Name another large public school in "the neighborhood" that isn't in the SEC.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,29.421,-95.317

Their best is 20% of 77023. Now granted, 20% of Houston is still a good population of fans, but they fail to claim the top spot in their home zip code.

That's a pretty common theme among AAC schools, too, as USF, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU, SMU, Cincinnati, and Temple all fail to claim a single zip code.

It could be worse: Cincinnati doesn't even claim a top 3 spot in a single zip code in their home city.

It'd be interesting to have tracked this data over time to see how things have changed since 2000 with the changing dynamics of UT, A&M, TCU, TTU, UH, and Baylor.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

New York Times posted:

Like the other sets of maps, these were created using estimates of team support based on each team’s share of Facebook “likes” in a ZIP code.

Their data set is inherently bad and ill defined. For example, I don't have my zip code set on facebook, would I count? Similarly, I "like" ISU Athletics but not ISU football, so does that leave me out?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Death Valley is fine, but I can't imagine Legion Field has anything going on this weekend. Lord knows B'ham would have jumped on that if the offer had been presented.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

From what I'm reading, Baton Rouge was the most viable option for maximizing revenue/mitigating the economic impact of losing a home game. Unfortunately, because it will still be considered a "home" game for those reasons, it sounds like we still have to travel to LSU in 2020. Sucks.

Scarf posted:

Yall's kicker is adorbs.

:allears:

Fry talks a lot of smack for being a kicker, which owns. When we destroyed Arkansas a couple years ago, he was apparently getting heckled by some of their fans throughout the game. Afterward, he tweeted that he scored more points than their entire team. :thurman:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

RumbleFish posted:

From what I'm reading, Baton Rouge was the most viable option for maximizing revenue/mitigating the economic impact of losing a home game. Unfortunately, because it will still be considered a "home" game for those reasons, it sounds like we still have to travel to LSU in 2020. Sucks.

The revenue produced will be larger the later the game starts. I know ESPN is all about maximizing television time slots, but this game will draw a larger (actual) crowd if it goes off at 4 instead of noon.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Korranus posted:

*dog whistle*

Name another large public school in "the neighborhood" that isn't in the SEC.

Lonestar.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13829456/west-virginia-mountaineers-safety-karl-joseph-season-knee-injury

welp, 7-5 or 8-4 here we come. if we're lucky.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

Their data set is inherently bad and ill defined. For example, I don't have my zip code set on facebook, would I count? Similarly, I "like" ISU Athletics but not ISU football, so does that leave me out?

They followed that sentence with:

New York Times posted:

but as we’ve noted before, Facebook likes show broadly similar patterns to polls.

Meaning that, while it's not perfect data, it's shown time and again to be fairly accurate. That's because over a large enough set of data, patterns still develop. You don't have your zip code set, but neither do a bunch of other people for other teams. The ones that do have their zip codes set even the data out.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The Golden Band from Tigerland will be playing the USC fight song/alma mater during the pregame festivities: LINK

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kayakyakr posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,29.421,-95.317

Their best is 20% of 77023. Now granted, 20% of Houston is still a good population of fans, but they fail to claim the top spot in their home zip code.

That's a pretty common theme among AAC schools, too, as USF, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU, SMU, Cincinnati, and Temple all fail to claim a single zip code.

It could be worse: Cincinnati doesn't even claim a top 3 spot in a single zip code in their home city.

It'd be interesting to have tracked this data over time to see how things have changed since 2000 with the changing dynamics of UT, A&M, TCU, TTU, UH, and Baylor.

I wonder how much of a boost some schools get from crazy people that register multiple Facebook accounts for ESPN.com posts.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Hey just put one of your WRs in at QB and it will really gently caress with Oklahoma State for 2 quarters or so

e: oh wait, we were one of the 7-8 wins, nvm.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This map is cool, too:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/upshot/the-places-in-america-where-college-football-means-the-most.html

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Why is everyone breaking their everything this season?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Between this and Tennessee imploding, everyone is very commited to OU not looking impressive

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
One question about the LSU/SoCar game, couldn't they have moved the game to later in the season? I remember when they moved Florida/Tennessee to December about ten years ago.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Achernar posted:

One question about the LSU/SoCar game, couldn't they have moved the game to later in the season? I remember when they moved Florida/Tennessee to December about ten years ago.

It was 14 years ago, and every football team in the US had to postpone a game for some reason... having a hard time remembering why... oh well, i forget.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Raku posted:

so we can confirm that if LSU lost this weekend it would be the greatest upset in SC history, right?

They beat #1 Alabama at home that one year, so probably not.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

swickles posted:

It was 14 years ago, and every football team in the US had to postpone a game for some reason... having a hard time remembering why... oh well, i forget.

:911:
Yeah I remember now, I pushed it to 2004 in my mind for some reason and blamed all the hurricanes that year .

Achernar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 7, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

They moved the games because of the episode of Friends where Ross said Rachel at his wedding to Emily, I think.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
There's an easy solution to this. Leonard Fournette has to play for South Carolina or alternatively for both teams.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

The Notorious ZSB posted:

They beat #1 Alabama at home that one year, so probably not.

They were also about a thousand times better that year. Winning this game in Baton Rouge would be insane considering how far the team's fallen recently.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spacemonkey57 posted:

There's an easy solution to this. Leonard Fournette has to play for South Carolina or alternatively for both teams.

All time RB.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

That'd be a neat study for basically any fanbase, and then see what data could be collected via Twitter and especially Instagram. Demographic fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The Golden Band from Tigerland will be playing the USC fight song/alma mater during the pregame festivities: LINK

That's a nice gesture. Wonder what they'll do with the end zones.

• Locked thread