Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I finally finished Haibane Renmei today. What a strange, emotionally moving, bittersweet ride this show was. I would highly recommend it. It's a really impressive piece of worldbuilding, even though most of the big questions that the viewer has about this place are left as a mystery.

The last two episodes made me cry. Really cared about the characters by the end, and I hope Rakka has a long and happy life as a Haibane. The animation got fairly budget at some points, but the visual style as a whole is very pretty and unique. The subdued color pallette, along with the deceptively laid-back atmosphere in the earlier episodes, really reminded me of Kino's Journey, and I liked this show just as much or maybe more. With that said . . .

Quest For Glory II posted:

Since I didn't give a recommendation last time, i didn't get one for my list, but that's okay because I've been watching them all anyway. Well the first episode of them.

My Love Story

Death Parade

Parasyte

Rideback

Shirobako

Snow White with the Red Hair

Yona of the Dawn

Terror in Resonance

Barakamon - CUTE AS gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please watch five more episodes of Barakamon because it is indeed cute as gently caress, and very heartwarming and funny as well. It was hard to pick this over Shirobako, but I did anyway.

My list:

Mushishi
Spice and Wolf
Punchline
Patlabor (your choice of TV, OVA, movie)
Tamako Market
Yuru Yuri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm sorry I haven't been watching Gatchaman. I'll finish my five eps this weekend.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Watching Barakamon as suggested, while also watching other poo poo

Barakamon ep 2 - So the show was already cute but now they throw in QUIRKY characters... I'm not sold on all of them yet. Naru is still best character and the interaction between her and the main character is what drives the show. The family and the schoolgirls and the mediocre dude need more time to bake, which I assume is coming over the next few episodes???

some more (this isnt a list, just stuff i'm watching):
Death Parade ep 2-3 - Going the distance with this one!! I think the third episode showing that both participants can 'win' solidified it for me
Gatchaman Crowds #1 - I just couldn't get super into this one, I know it's well-liked but I didn't care for the first episode at all, also CG action?? booooo
Yona of the Dawn #2-3 - Hmmm too many flashbacks, I'll give this one more episode before I bail, at least #4 looks like the plot moves forward
Snow White w/ Red Hair #2-3 - This show fuckin rules, thanks for finally having a Competent Shojo Heroine With Agency, anime. Going the distance
Bodacious Space Pirates #1-2 - A lot of stuff I'm on the fence about have pacing issues and this is another one, she should already be a kickass pirate but they're dragging through the mud to start. on the fence

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
4 episodes into Love Live and I'm really enjoyng it. I like how they've got problems to overcome, because some of them are terrible and nobdoy gives a poo poo about their dumb band. Nico looks like she's gonna be a great villain, can't wait to see them tangle with her. It's a fun show, but there's no way they're actually gonna save the school. They're having fun and bonding and growing as people, but actually save the school? No way, they're just six girls, it's impossible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dude, how many of the 'let's put on a ______ to save the ______' things that have been made since they invented that in the 1930's have ever actually ended with them not saving ______?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Dude, how many of the 'let's put on a ______ to save the ______' things that have been made since they invented that in the 1930's have ever actually ended with them not saving ______?

Once in Scrubs, technically.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't know. I know they pulled it off in The Blues Brothers.

But these girls aren't on a mission from God.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Once in Scrubs, technically.

Once in the Simpsons too.

E: i think. Some drat cartoon failed to save the camp from some rich assholes.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 9, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay something that not a deliberate parody of those kind of movies :mad:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

;)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 2011 Muppets movie didn't have the show save the studio.

But the studio was saved in the credits by deus ex machina soooo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Yay, they defeated Nico!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

boom boom boom posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Love Live, and it's suprrisingly good. I wasn't really expecting much from an anime that's just one wing of a massive waifu marketing machine, but it was really solidly made. Lots of good energy, the episodes have a good, fast pace, the characters are characterful, except that one chick who's the dean's daughter, she's pretty bland.

Nowhere near enough Rin though.

Like, that's a serious goddamn problem, how little Rin this show has

Stick with it. You'll get lots.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad they defeated Eri, and turned her into another μ's. All their adversaries become μ's. All available biomass will be converted to μ's.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Usagi Drop is really loving adorable and heartwarming. That is all.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I finished The Love Live season 1. It was pretty good, for the most part. lots of good energy, strong characters even if some of them didn't get enough screen time(Rin), weird CG puppet dances. It's a shame they ended the season with the weakest "oh no, x is leaving the team/the team is splitting up?!" storylines I've ever seen.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

I finished The Love Live season 1. It was pretty good, for the most part. lots of good energy, strong characters even if some of them didn't get enough screen time(Rin), weird CG puppet dances. It's a shame they ended the season with the weakest "oh no, x is leaving the team/the team is splitting up?!" storylines I've ever seen.

Season 2 is stronger all around, imo, and the movie is a great send off, so look forward to that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Episode 7 of Boogiepop and we've got a teenager who's gained psychic powers and a desire to remove all the "useless parts" of the world. Testing his powers by separating the coffee and milk in a mug was neat, but I think there's better ways to show your psychic talents to your sister than picking up a stray kitten and exploding it with your mind.

Twisting the composite human till he burst was pretty cool though. Boogiepop claimed'em both in the end anyway though :ohdear:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mentat Radnor posted:

I finally finished Haibane Renmei today. What a strange, emotionally moving, bittersweet ride this show was. I would highly recommend it. It's a really impressive piece of worldbuilding, even though most of the big questions that the viewer has about this place are left as a mystery.

The last two episodes made me cry. Really cared about the characters by the end, and I hope Rakka has a long and happy life as a Haibane. The animation got fairly budget at some points, but the visual style as a whole is very pretty and unique. The subdued color pallette, along with the deceptively laid-back atmosphere in the earlier episodes, really reminded me of Kino's Journey, and I liked this show just as much or maybe more. With that said . . .

Please watch five more episodes of Barakamon because it is indeed cute as gently caress, and very heartwarming and funny as well. It was hard to pick this over Shirobako, but I did anyway.

My list:

Mushishi
Spice and Wolf
Punchline
Patlabor (your choice of TV, OVA, movie)
Tamako Market
Yuru Yuri

Mushishi, definitely.

Speaking of Mushishi, here's my list:

Mushishi
Ghost Stories (English Dub)
Haruhi Suzumiya
RahXephon
Death Parade

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Julias posted:

Mushishi, definitely.

Speaking of Mushishi, here's my list:

Mushishi
Ghost Stories (English Dub)
Haruhi Suzumiya
RahXephon
Death Parade

Death Parade DO IT!!!! Probably the best Anime I've seen in awhile. I must spread the word.

List:

Kill La Kill
Akame Ga Kill
Mushishi
Pupa
Now and Then, Here and There

This is just random stuff I have on a "want to watch list" I've made.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its not my turn but i will tell you to not watch pupa as its incestual cannibalistic pedoshit

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Davincie posted:

its not my turn but i will tell you to not watch pupa as its incestual cannibalistic pedoshit

Da gently caress? *looks at reviews* :shudder: Well it looks like everyone on the internet pretty much hates that show. I'mma keep it on the list for now, and trust in the friendships all goons have for each other that they will pick the other four.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you should watch kaiji from your previous list as that show is badass

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

KildarX posted:

Da gently caress? *looks at reviews* :shudder: Well it looks like everyone on the internet pretty much hates that show. I'mma keep it on the list for now, and trust in the friendships all goons have for each other that they will pick the other four.

This sounds like you really do want to watch Pupa, but you're scared what a bunch of ADTRW posters would think of you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

This sounds like you really do want to watch Pupa, but you're scared what a bunch of ADTRW posters would think of you.

You caught me Something Awful poster, A Doomed Purloiner. :jerkbag:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

KildarX posted:

Death Parade DO IT!!!! Probably the best Anime I've seen in awhile. I must spread the word.

List:

Kill La Kill
Akame Ga Kill
Mushishi
Pupa
Now and Then, Here and There

This is just random stuff I have on a "want to watch list" I've made.
Pu- I mean Kill la Kill

Things I have seen nothing of:

Eureka Seven
Giant Robo
Black Lagoon
Kemonozume
Gunbuster

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mercrom posted:

Pu- I mean Kill la Kill

Things I have seen nothing of:

Eureka Seven
Giant Robo
Black Lagoon
Kemonozume
Gunbuster

You gotta watch Kemonozume!

Code Geass Agito of Exile
Koufuku Graffiti
Bakemonogatari
Orguss 2
The Five Star Stories
Macross Zero

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

I've seen the first ep of Kino's Journey and it seems like a cool, mellow show.

Even when absolutely anything else would be emphasising the tension or action. I really want to compare it to something other than Haibane Renmei but slow, mellow, introspective and all about the world and atmosphere describes both of them really well. Kino has been more episodic so far and Kino and Hermes are the only recurring characters. It's something I'll watch the rest of but not something I'd be tempted to marathon - it's too chill for that.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

boom boom boom posted:

You gotta watch Kemonozume!

Code Geass Agito of Exile
Koufuku Graffiti
Bakemonogatari
Orguss 2
The Five Star Stories
Macross Zero

Watch Orguss 2.

It doesn't have much of connection to the first Orguss (and the actual link was entirely unnecessary, in my opinion).

My list:

Brigadoon
Gungrave
Shigofumi
Skull Man
Zegapain

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gatchaman is starting to lose me. It doesn't have nearly enough stylish henshin hero action, which is the stuff I like. I'm glad they stopped doing one of their like three annoying running gags though and gave Utsutsu some actual lines.

Edit: Alright, that's five episodes. It's not....bad, but it's not what I expected it to be at all. I was expecting more of a superhero show than it ended up being and like I said, it started to lose me there, especially given how long it took me to actually finish the eps.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 11, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Gatchaman is starting to lose me. It doesn't have nearly enough stylish henshin hero action, which is the stuff I like. I'm glad they stopped doing one of their like three annoying running gags though and gave Utsutsu some actual lines.

Edit: Alright, that's five episodes. It's not....bad, but it's not what I expected it to be at all. I was expecting more of a superhero show than it ended up being and like I said, it started to lose me there, especially given how long it took me to actually finish the eps.

It's a show about, among other things, the relevance of superheroes in the modern world

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I suppose I'll finish it since I got this far, but it's probably one of those series that's not gonna be a high priority for me. I'm not saying I disliked it, it just betrayed my expectations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I finished Starship Troopers. The fourth episode really dragged on, but five and six were pretty good. In the end, it was interesting to watch it as a sort of historical artifact (late 80s Sunrise OVA, pretty faithful book adaptation) but I can't say I'd recommend it to people unless they're similarly curious about it as an adaptation of the source material. The animation is pretty rough in places.

Still, I wanted to watch it to see how good an adaptation it was and my question was answered, so it's all good. It was only six episodes anyway.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Usagi Drop is the most heartwarming show I've seen in a long time. The relationship growing between Daikichi and Rin was great to watch. I also appreciated how they showed other families in differing situations to contrast against the two. If I ever become a father, this is one I'm going to revisit.

wielder posted:

Watch Orguss 2.

It doesn't have much of connection to the first Orguss (and the actual link was entirely unnecessary, in my opinion).

My list:

Brigadoon
Gungrave
Shigofumi
Skull Man
Zegapain

Going by an arbitrary metric, Gungrave has the highest rating on MAL.

• House of Five Leaves
  • Wandering Son
  • Time of Eve
  • Baccano
  • Spice and Wolf (almost got told to watch)
  • Now and Then, Here and There

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

• House of Five Leaves
  • Wandering Son
  • Time of Eve
  • Baccano
  • Spice and Wolf (almost got told to watch)
  • Now and Then, Here and There

Baccano, with the stipulation that you skip episode 1. It's not that good and it spoils a lot, so it's best watched after 13.

Kaiji
Shirobako
Tribe Cool Crew
Diebuster
Working!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you should watch the episodes of baccano in the order they were aired

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Baccano, with the stipulation that you skip episode 1. It's not that good and it spoils a lot, so it's best watched after 13.

Kaiji
Shirobako
Tribe Cool Crew
Diebuster
Working!

Outside of maybe episode previews, it's silly to say that a show spoils itself.

Anyway, Shirobako.

e:
\/\/Nice catch.

Yona of the Dawn
Tatami Galaxy
Hyouka
Utena
Yozakora Quartet

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 15, 2015

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Waffleman_ posted:

I watched it in order, and I don't remember the first episode spoiling anything. When I saw the last episode, then I was able to appreciate some scenes in the first episode and see some character interactions in an entirely new light, but the scenes in ep 1 are meaningless without the context of having seen the next twelve episodes. Great show in any case.

Edit - fixed.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 15, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Usagi Drop is the most heartwarming show I've seen in a long time. The relationship growing between Daikichi and Rin was great to watch. I also appreciated how they showed other families in differing situations to contrast against the two. If I ever become a father, this is one I'm going to revisit.

Track down the shorts/OVAs if you didn't already. They are :kimchi:

Anyway, yeah it's super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Watched ep one of Orguss Two. Man, good old fashioned anime OVA violence. Bullets tear up clothes and pull ribbons of blood out of people. classic.

Also i know Orguss Two came before but lol at the dollar store ripoff of the opening credits of True Detective

• Locked thread