Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carsius
May 7, 2013

In my singleplayer game, I decided to end up trading myself the creative wand for four ichor wands, and a creative jar for voiding 1k of that essence (for use in the dawn machine). It definitely makes things much faster and more enjoyable, since I don't have to worry about micromanaging my wands/the dawn machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, the thing is that I don't want to spend a ton of time and resources on something that I'm basically going to replace pretty quickly after the fight. I'm probably just going to build a simple suit of armor out of some suitable strong metal and max enchant that so I don't have to go through the motions of alchemizing all the thaumium ignots and doing the infusion bullshit.

Edit: Probably out of the like several dozen stacks of diamonds I have just lying around now that I think about it. I feel kind of stupid for not doing that earlier.

Talisman of Remedium from Thaumic Tinkerer also helps tremendously, as it cures wither, which is the brunt of the damage you take. If you don't have one already, make a Shock Focus. It's both one of the best weapons that exists for fighting the gaia guardian (it's nearly a hitscan weapon, and one of the big frustrations of the gaia guardian is fighting him with stuff with a slow projectile speed) and also just a great murder tool in general.

Lastly, a couple charged rings of shielding will do a lot to mitigate damage over the course of the fight and are good pieces of gear in general. Don't worry about having the hugest, beefiest shield possible - wearing two charged rings of shielding makes your runic shielding recharge twice as fast, and the recharge really adds up quickly over extended fights.

E: vvvv yeah that. make an infernal wand

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 7, 2015

Carsius
May 7, 2013

An infernal wand makes it so you can't be withered. It also extinguishes you, and, while being held, prevents all lava/fire damage. Plus, it holds 150 vis.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I have my botania setup and I have an absolute gently caress-ton of mana pouring into a distributor. I have a spreader with a Potency/Velocity lens pointed at a Mana Flux Field. It doesn't seem to be transferring any power to the Resonant Cell right next to it though. How do I get the power out of the Flux Field?

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Travic posted:

Ok I have my botania setup and I have an absolute gently caress-ton of mana pouring into a distributor. I have a spreader with a Potency/Velocity lens pointed at a Mana Flux Field. It doesn't seem to be transferring any power to the Resonant Cell right next to it though. How do I get the power out of the Flux Field?

Are you sure the cell's face that is connected to the Flux-field is on input? It should work, otherwise.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Carsius posted:

Are you sure the cell's face that is connected to the Flux-field is on input? It should work, otherwise.

I can't seem to interact with the cell. I've tried clicking and shift + clicking and I've tried the Cresent Hammer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wait, what? Right-clicking on the resonant cell does nothing? If that's the case, you can't shift-click it up with the crescent hammer and replace it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

did you set yourself to adventure mode by mistake

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Reloaded the game and it works. Who knows.

Now that I have it filling how do I move it's power around? Is there a certain pipe I use to transfer the flux around to power my poo poo? I saw that there were advanced versions of all the machines I used (basic, hardened, resonant). Are they worth it?

I find it hilarious by the way that getting just the Power Cell was more complicated than the entire rest of the Botania setup.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Travic posted:

Reloaded the game and it works. Who knows.

Now that I have it filling how do I move it's power around? Is there a certain pipe I use to transfer the flux around to power my poo poo? I saw that there were advanced versions of all the machines I used (basic, hardened, resonant). Are they worth it?

I find it hilarious by the way that getting just the Power Cell was more complicated than the entire rest of the Botania setup.

You move power around with fluxducts. There's also itemduct and fluiduct for moving those things. So just remember "duct".

Upgrading machines makes them hold more power and I think work faster. It also opens up more augment slots which allow you to customize them. For example, the pulverizer can be augmented to have a higher chance of bonus secondary outputs. The augments usually require a specific level of machine. One thing that might not be obvious is that you can always upgrade machines later without having to build a whole new one. The recipe is the same as the next level frame, but with the machine in the center.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im almost at the point of thinking about starting to get ready for power :).

Pams harvest craft, ive got a few trees, like apple and almond. Do i need to punch the fruit or does it drop when it is ready?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Meskhenet posted:

Im almost at the point of thinking about starting to get ready for power :).

Pams harvest craft, ive got a few trees, like apple and almond. Do i need to punch the fruit or does it drop when it is ready?

when the fruit is ripe, rightclick to harvest

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I think I played Blightfall wrong, I just did everything by hand (No AE) and I just built a ton of dawn totems with random poo poo I had from mining. I never fought a Gaia Guardian, never did Botania outside of Ethereal Blooms, just grinding up poo poo, turning it into other poo poo, and powered almost everything off of The first reactor.

Never had that machine that cleans nodes either, I just killed them all.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Turtlicious posted:

Man I think I played Blightfall wrong, I just did everything by hand (No AE) and I just built a ton of dawn totems with random poo poo I had from mining. I never fought a Gaia Guardian, never did Botania outside of Ethereal Blooms, just grinding up poo poo, turning it into other poo poo, and powered almost everything off of The first reactor.

That's perfectly fine -- AE and Botania are completely optional in Blightfall.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

VegasShirtGuy posted:

You move power around with fluxducts. There's also itemduct and fluiduct for moving those things. So just remember "duct".

Upgrading machines makes them hold more power and I think work faster. It also opens up more augment slots which allow you to customize them. For example, the pulverizer can be augmented to have a higher chance of bonus secondary outputs. The augments usually require a specific level of machine. One thing that might not be obvious is that you can always upgrade machines later without having to build a whole new one. The recipe is the same as the next level frame, but with the machine in the center.

Cool thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I've never dealt with these mods before.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

This seems to be the route im taking. But im going to set up some more golems as well as a reactor.

Just tunneled to the bottom of volcano from the teleporter for a massive 6 deep iron. Also some netherrack. Which means i now have my infernal furnace built. How often does it spill out flux and how badly do i need to watch it?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

This seems to be the route im taking. But im going to set up some more golems as well as a reactor.

Just tunneled to the bottom of volcano from the teleporter for a massive 6 deep iron. Also some netherrack. Which means i now have my infernal furnace built. How often does it spill out flux and how badly do i need to watch it?

I've never seen it produce flux. 3 bellows and a source of ignis CV will let it cook 1 item a second, anything it can't cook it destroys (like pulverized metals and pulverized fantasy metals for one example). put a hungry chest or an annihilation plane at the base of it to catch what it smelts, and one of those latches made with a latch and iron bars in the hole in the top so you don't fall in.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
I scanned through a bunch of pages looking for an answer and tried google-fu to no avail for a few questions:
1) Where in the name of Big Jesus Mordino do you find glowstone? I've seen a single block of it inside the Eerie Island tower, which I haven't broken because of #2
2) Eerie Island scout quest: Door on the tower is sealed, but I busted the obsidion blocks next to it to enter. I'm assuming that was not the proper procedure. I haven't gone up the levitation device yet because I'm worried that I'm dicking up the intended progression.
3) Auram. I'm already familiar with Thaumcraft; it comes from wisps, breaking nodes, and mana beans. I'd rather not bust up aura nodes, and the few beans I have aren't auram. I've been scouring mountain areas hoping to stumble across a wisp shrine/spawner but haven't found any. They DO exist here, right? I'd appreciate the hell out of a hint.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All the floating islands have glowstone in em, I just swam up to the bottom and dug stairs up to the surface and found plenty as I went.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wisp spawners exist - check obelisk island to the south. You can also turn botania mana into ethereal essence via the Euclidaisy - check the apocrypha tab.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I just used a dislocation focus to throw a wisp spawner in my cursed earth farm. Any of those obsidian pads you find scouting around will have one hiding underneath as a matter of course.

I did wind up cheating in some ME cable today because my base is just too big and I did not have enough charged certus to set things up. It was just getting too tedious to go all the way up my fortress for tech, then all the way down to the basement for the magic.

If instability happens in infusion crafting, do I have to pretty much just abort it? While making the dislocation focus, it turned one amber into flux goo. I cleaned it up and replaced the amber, but it was stuck. Something like this happened to me before when an ingredient outright was obliterated. I could have sworn though that I could keep things going the one time it just kicked something off a pedestal.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So glowstone is only at eerie island?

I was hunting some sort fo desert flower that did the same thing (as i need nitor for golems) and google told me there are flowers in the desert ><

After 6 deaths i still didnt find one.

I might go dig up eerie, as the blocked door stopped me before too

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Glowstone is a common mineable on any of the floating islands.

If instability delays your infusion, such as if you need to run over and place a replacement ingredient, it can sometimes require a few more points in one of its required essentias. If you only had exactly enough of that, the delay caused while you get some more essentia can result in more instability and more needed essentia and replacement ingredients. You can keep scrambling for more ingredients and essentia forever until you either manage to complete the infusion or abort the whole process.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok tried ot climb the tower at eerie.

Had the haunted thaumage fall into the room below. Then selecting the skeleton in the room somehow ported me down to him where i was 1 hit ><

I left 5 blooms in the rooms below. Wonder if it is worth trying to go back.

Edit. Oh man. got 1 dawn totem up and running and it is awesome. Had to rush another one. Good thing my cow farm was rocking.

Im using straw golems (because im cheap), but do the other golems have more range in which they work? Looks like i need 2 farmers just for my 1 field. And ive got a few fields here and there.

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 8, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The thainted hematurge is melee only, so you can block him off with some dirt and poke him to death at your leisure, or leave him imprisoned in dirt indefinitely for fun

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Can't stress enough how important it is to invest in a bigger and better reactor. Going from a 4x3x3 1x2 rod, to 6x6x3 1x2x2 rod w/ passive cryotheum cooling, my fuel usage went up 25% while my power output near tripled. With how scarce Yellorium is, it's better to invest some in effeciency.

I'm curious now to see what increasing the height of it will do, but I don't really have the fuel for it. I don't imagine it ever gets efficient enough to run a laser drill with a fuel profit, though- my drill went through 20m RF and spat out a coal.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Can't stress enough how important it is to invest in a bigger and better reactor. Going from a 4x3x3 1x2 rod, to 6x6x3 1x2x2 rod w/ passive cryotheum cooling, my fuel usage went up 25% while my power output near tripled. With how scarce Yellorium is, it's better to invest some in effeciency.

I'm curious now to see what increasing the height of it will do, but I don't really have the fuel for it. I don't imagine it ever gets efficient enough to run a laser drill with a fuel profit, though- my drill went through 20m RF and spat out a coal.

Height changes nothing efficiency wise. The reactor only checks horizontally for fuel rods and coolant so adding height simply multiplies your input and output by # of layers.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Cryohazard posted:

The laser configs are tweaked. Apparently even going all in on fuel foci it doesn't break even.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

"Hey VerdantSquire, those unstable nuggets sure do have a lot of useful aspects in them!" I found myself saying. "Why not make a machine to distill all of it's aspects into warded Jars?"

"I mean, how hard can it be to build a working system with Thaumcraft pipes anyway?"

Two or three hours later:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

VerdantSquire posted:

"Hey VerdantSquire, those unstable nuggets sure do have a lot of useful aspects in them!" I found myself saying. "Why not make a machine to distill all of it's aspects into warded Jars?"

"I mean, how hard can it be to build a working system with Thaumcraft pipes anyway?"

Two or three hours later:

Does that even work? Won't the buffers try to grab every aspect they can?

I feel as though you would have been better off making a tower of labeled alembics, with only the top one unlabeled so you can branch more than one jar off that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Alembics only go 5 high, as far as I know.

Basically just make thaumic energistics and never look back. Pipes are so goddamned bad

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Magres posted:

Basically just make thaumic energistics and never look back. Pipes are so goddamned bad

This, one interface will siphon off essentia faster than a furnace can send it up.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I got the power plant from the supply quest. So i have 21 casing, a controller , a control rod, tap and port. 1 glass and 1 yellow feel rod.

Having never used this before, what am i even looking at to build this?
The one on page 1 is way bigger than what i have so didnt really help.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Meskhenet posted:

I got the power plant from the supply quest. So i have 21 casing, a controller , a control rod, tap and port. 1 glass and 1 yellow feel rod.

Having never used this before, what am i even looking at to build this?
The one on page 1 is way bigger than what i have so didnt really help.

It's a 3x3x3 cube.

On the bottom layer, put casings.

On the next layer up, put casings in the corners, the fuel rod in the middle, and in the open spaces put the tap, port, controller, and glass. (orientation doesn't matter)

On the top, put casings on the edge and the control rod in the middle.

If you've done this right, the texture on the casings should change slightly to make it look more like a unified structure and not a collection of cubes.

Put yellorium into the access port, hook up fluxducts to the power tap, then right click on the controller and QUAID start the reactor.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

President Ark posted:

It's a 3x3x3 cube.

On the bottom layer, put casings.

On the next layer up, put casings in the corners, the fuel rod in the middle, and in the open spaces put the tap, port, controller, and glass. (orientation doesn't matter)

On the top, put casings on the edge and the control rod in the middle.

If you've done this right, the texture on the casings should change slightly to make it look more like a unified structure and not a collection of cubes.

Put yellorium into the access port, hook up fluxducts to the power tap, then right click on the controller and QUAID start the reactor.

Awesome, worked out.

How long/much power does a single ingot give? And does it use power if nothing is using power?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Meskhenet posted:

Awesome, worked out.

How long/much power does a single ingot give? And does it use power if nothing is using power?

Give it a bit for it to stabilize, then look at the controller. There's a statistic there which is "mb/t"; there's 20 ticks (t) in one second and 1000 mb in one ingot - and every ingot of input will then give you 500mb of waste and 1000 waste = 1 cyanite which can be turned right back into fuel using another machine called a cyanite reprocessor. Output is listed in terms of rf/t and I think the base reactor is a couple hundred, so it'll charge basic energy cells and machines pretty drat fast.

I'm not giving you a straight answer because there isn't one; depending on how the reactor is built the values change, plus you can right-click on the control rod on top to clamp down and throttle the reactor for more efficiency (but slower speed). In particular, there's no easy "1 ingot = x RF" conversion for all reactors since both how long an ingot lasts and how much power it produces each tick varies wildly based on reactor construction. Any given reactor design will have one though.

The reactor has a pretty hefty internal battery, but if you're filling that and your power cells up crank up the control rod.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 9, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Awesome, worked out.

http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design?length=1&width=1&height=1&activelyCooled=false&controlRodInsertion=0&layout=X

A single ingot will give about 9,603,610 RF. (Assuming Blightfall hasn't messed with fuel values.)

The reactor will NOT shut off when it's full, so it's a good idea to use a comparator on your energy cell, filter for 14 signal strength, and run a lead into the redstone port to turn off the reactor.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
3x3 can't be made efficient; 4x4 most efficient is all inner spaces filled with 4 rods; 5x5 is 4 rods in the corners and ender or cryo in the middle spaces. In general water < air < metal blocks < ender < cryo

adjust fuel rods to keep your heat around 900-950 for best efficiency.

you honestly don't need a big reactor in this pack, a trickle current from a 3x3 is really all you need for a minimal ae2 setup until you get endo or munchdews.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 9, 2015

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I usually self-regulate the reactor with rednet, just have one rednet port outputting the value of the internal battery, and another that takes that as input for the control rod insertion %. It'll approach 100% storage but will functionally throttle itself to whatever your consumption is.

Whether or not this is easier/better than a comparator is for someone else to determine :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

waoh, slow down. I have no idea what anyone is going on about. Atm its a pretty block sitting outside.

I need to hook this up to an energy cell? I got a redstone energy cell from the black market rewards. It says it is 10.0M/20.0M.

I need to hook this up to teh reactor first?

Im looking at fluxducts and see a few diffrent one. Leadstone and hardened look like the only ones i can make right now.

How do i deal with waste as i see it gets ejected?

(also got an auto-anvil machine, what does that do?)

Pack is good in telling you how to do all the other stuff, but completes ignores any tutorial for this >< im lost.

• Locked thread