Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Ehud posted:

I posted about it in the Philbin thread. If people are legit upset about the trophy comment then lol. Dude is on a 1-3 team that has given up, he's getting destroyed every week, and some defensive player hijacks a walk-through by going full speed and picking him off. Of course he's frustrated.

there are dolphins fans mad at tannehill that would probably be :stare: if they knew the stuff Marino used to say.

Taking it out on the practice squad for picking off his garbage rear end makes him look like a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
This sounds like an offensive line that's well on its way to a Super Bowl:

Gregg Bell @gbellseattle
#Seahawks OL coach Tom Cable sez communication much improved last 2 games. RG J.R. Sweezy says commo the problem. So: A miscommunication

https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/651903198995722240

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Taking it out on the practice squad for picking off his garbage rear end makes him look like a bitch

there are no more bitches on the miami dolphins after coach campbell culled the herd earlier today

rip dallas thomas

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Its Miller Time posted:

Why the NFL Has a Quarterback Crisis: http://freetexthost.com/5o2xstj3yl

Ugh. College football is garbage.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Except they did exactly that. And it's a walk through.

People saying the Practice Squad guys need to be going full speed at all times are misinformed or ignorant. Im laughing that people are equating this to a full practice.

Talking to the guy after you insulted him in front of the team is not "exactly that".

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I don't understand how this is still a thing.

From the sounds of it the practice squad was running a scout defense in a walk through and they kept picking off his passes. He has said he wasn't getting the looks they were supposed to, which leads me to believe people weren't doing what they should of been doing.

For those who may not know, the scout team generally runs a really basic defense for a walkthrough during practice.

The idea is "These are their basic formations that they run, and here is how we are going to attack it."

They will probably run the 1-3 plays that the coaches have picked to attack that zone 10-30 times.

There is a lot to be gained for this if done right. You get a sense for where the passing lanes and zones are going to be. You can work on perfecting your timing with your go to WR so that the ball is to them at the perfect time. More advanced QBs can start to process how teams would counter this play and start seeing how to counter that counter.

Imagine you are going up against a base 4-3 cover 2 scheme in practice. And after running it a few times, one Safety, instead of going into their deep zone, takes 2 steps back, and then cuts in front of the pass that they have seen 5-10 times prior.

If they were garbage throws that fell into the DBs hand, thats one thing, but if they were going full speed to make a point gently caress that guy. They are just wasting practice time and slowing everything down.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don't know how NFL practices work. I just like the " Tannehill is a crybaby" narrative.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I don't know how NFL practices work. I just like the " Tannehill is a crybaby" narrative.

I like the “Tannehill is a great carpenter” narrative where he just looks for excuses to offer to build people trophy cases.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Yaws posted:

It's cool and good

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yaws posted:

the opposite reading is true, college football rules and NFL football is stodgy old man garbage

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Well one of those rookies was ROTY, nevermind how that ended up.

VY for life

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

OxySnake posted:

I don't understand how this is still a thing.

From the sounds of it the practice squad was running a scout defense in a walk through and they kept picking off his passes. He has said he wasn't getting the looks they were supposed to, which leads me to believe people weren't doing what they should of been doing.

For those who may not know, the scout team generally runs a really basic defense for a walkthrough during practice.

The idea is "These are their basic formations that they run, and here is how we are going to attack it."

They will probably run the 1-3 plays that the coaches have picked to attack that zone 10-30 times.

There is a lot to be gained for this if done right. You get a sense for where the passing lanes and zones are going to be. You can work on perfecting your timing with your go to WR so that the ball is to them at the perfect time. More advanced QBs can start to process how teams would counter this play and start seeing how to counter that counter.

Imagine you are going up against a base 4-3 cover 2 scheme in practice. And after running it a few times, one Safety, instead of going into their deep zone, takes 2 steps back, and then cuts in front of the pass that they have seen 5-10 times prior.

If they were garbage throws that fell into the DBs hand, thats one thing, but if they were going full speed to make a point gently caress that guy. They are just wasting practice time and slowing everything down.

this is a good explanation

but I heard Brady pays people who cuck him

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

It's cool and good

the Florida gators are my only reason for living right now

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Well one of those rookies was ROTY, nevermind how that ended up.

Wasn't that year the same year CJ2k ran for 2,000 yards and Vince Young didn't need to throw the ball?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

RisqueBarber posted:

Wasn't that year the same year CJ2k ran for 2,000 yards and Vince Young didn't need to throw the ball?

Off by 3 years there buddy. Vince Young was the '06 ROTY, CJ2K was '09.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Alaois posted:

the opposite reading is true, college football rules and NFL football is stodgy old man garbage

please stop watching

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Ehud posted:

As for Brady I'm guessing that is during the phase of practice that is actually full speed and both sides of the ball don't know what play is going to be run.

As practice builds up you eventually start to build your playbook for the game. Of if this then that, if that then this. Etc, until you build the entire game plan. If we hit this run play to the RG 3x, then they counter it with the SOLB attacking that hole. If they use that blitz with the SOLB, we play action out of that and hit the X receiver on this route in the area that that LB has vacated.

So you would have the defense come out in their alignment or with certain notable players marked and it would be up to the offense to understand what play they should run, but the D has liberty to call their plays too, and actually play defense instead of just being bodies.

Ninja Edit: This is also why you hear about teams struggling, and then the defense calling out what plays they are going to run presnap. When nothing is working offensively you cut down from dozens of plays to maybe a dozen or less. The idea being that you keep practicing those till you can execute it 80% of the time and build off of that.

Edit 2: This is a lot of words for this subject but it's a pet peeve that I used to have from long ago when I played football (and was god awful.) We had 1 LB that felt he had to make huge plays on walkthroughs every loving practice, it generally had him getting pulled aside and getting bitched at, then us doing laps.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ehud posted:

Golden Tate exploring trade to New England

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nerve posted:

please stop watching

no my team is good this year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

the Florida gators are my only reason for living right now

sec east lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Quest For Glory II posted:

They need to have some of these games be the MNF/SNF/TNF games just so we have primetime games that don't end at 1 am

I wanna see Jon Gruden experience London and then go on a crazy rant about it

Primetime games always end by 9pm though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

js86 posted:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311204003

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS QBR RTG
Caleb Jeffrey Hanie 11/24 133 5.5 0 3 7-45 2.7 23.8

I don't know if the best part of this game is the only touchdown being scored on a hail mary at the end of the first half (that was completely covered) or Roy Williams deciding to personally sabotage Hanie's only good drive by juggling a ball for five yards and then handing it to a Chiefs DB for an interception.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ross Angeles posted:

sec east lol

ole miss :colbert:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kalli posted:

This is my fav. example of Belichick being Belichick:

Kalli I was seriously going to post this it's one of my favorite football stories.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 8, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Gronk and Witten are both at 59 TDs. Only four other TE's have ever reached 60. Gates is at 99.

Tony Gonzalez 111 :stare:
Antonio Gates 99
Shannon Sharpe 62
Jerry Smith 60

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

NC-17 posted:

Gronk and Witten are both at 59 TDs. Only four other TE's have ever reached 60. Gates is at 99.

Tony Gonzalez 111 :stare:
Antonio Gates 99
Shannon Sharpe 62
Jerry Smith 60

Gates gonna catch Gonzo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NC-17 posted:

Jerry Smith 60

Well this guy turned out to be more interesting than I was thinking when I looked him up.

quote:

A 2014 documentary from the NFL Network's A Football Life series profiles his career, as well as his "double life as a closeted gay man and a star athlete".

Played from '65 to '77, it sounds like everyone actually knew he was gay but he never admitted it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Alaois posted:

College football is little kids scampering around in the peewee league though?

I like to call it Bitch Ball

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know if the best part of this game is the only touchdown being scored on a hail mary at the end of the first half (that was completely covered) or Roy Williams deciding to personally sabotage Hanie's only good drive by juggling a ball for five yards and then handing it to a Chiefs DB for an interception.

A fun game to play with that roster is "Who is on the team still?" and then "Who is in the NFL still?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Parmesan Basil posted:

A fun game to play with that roster is "Who is on the team still?" and then "Who is in the NFL still?"

I had to look up Roy Williams after posting that to make sure I was remembering it right. It's hard to believe he didn't just vanish into nothingness after Jerry Jones traded a first & third rounder for him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ross Angeles posted:

Gates gonna catch Gonzo

The takeaway for me is that Gronk is going to set every TE record ever.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

The takeaway for me is that Gronk is going to set every TE record ever.

If he stays durable, which with Gronk's history, isn't a sure thing.

And if he does, it'll be interesting to see how his production continues post-Brady.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The NFL is my only refuge from the horror that is the Gamecocks this year. :negative:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Colin Kaepernick posted:

"Whether football's here or not, I will be fine. I go out, I play to win. I'm not worried about job security when I step in this building."

What I like to imagine followed immediately posted:

Kaepernick then stabbed his thumb over his shoulder towards Blaine Gabbert and continued, "After all, look at that guy."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...rd-mark-sanchez

Tyrod Taylor wanted to play for the Eagles, but they signed Tim Tebow instead. So he ended up a Bill.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000548564/Taylor-ed-for-success

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Fire Chip Kelly

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

someone photoshop tyrod into the chip kelly rejects pic

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Taylor is such a different player than Bradford it's hard to know whether he would have made the Eagles better or worse assuming he would be given a chance as a starter (he wouldn't have).

The one thing I do know is I'm glad the Bills have him.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

pasaluki posted:

The one thing I do know is I'm glad the Bills have him.

im still nervous about the Titans game

Bills are 0-5 in the past 5 games against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im still nervous about the Titans game

Bills are 0-5 in the past 5 games against them

Last game we played against them at their place I was at. It was the game Bud Adams flipped us off.

With that lusty old salt (who was the source of their vigor and bullshit wins against us) dead, the Bills should be able to trample them.
And when they do, there will be no NFL city and team that will be without the corruption of a loss to the Bills!

• Locked thread