Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

I said come in! posted:

Remains to be seen how the high tier tanks are though, but I guess the developers actually care that high tier is fun, unlike in WoT where all of the smart players avoided that. Cant wait to get my GTX 970, hopefully tomorrow. I average like 20fps right now.

Basing this purely off of the last Early Access and personal opinion, when they unlocked all T8 vehicles for everybody to play.

It seems that T8 is actually the most interesting Tier. All the MBTs have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
T-Series has High Alpha, Meh Armor and HP but good mobility (That Turret Traverse is stupid awesome)
Abrams line has High HP and Armor as well as a good gun and tons of retrofit slots.
Leopars have massive frontal armor (Albeit some flaws) with great mobility and super high pen gun.
C1 Ariete is probably the weakest out of all of them right now, with an OK gun, good bit of HP and Armor but overall on the weak side.

When switching to the other stuff, the M1128 is stupid good fun on certain maps and you can pump out massive damage, but you are made of paper.

The Ramk-99 is good, think of it as a beefed up Terminator. The Autocannons will be less effective at that Tier, but you have even more armor and the ATGMs you get are great as well (especially once tandem heads are implemented so you can negate ERA and APDS)

Flanking XM8s are a nightmare, especially in PvP, with the HEAT rounds dishing out a nice 616 damage (Which is close to T7 MBT damage and about 1/3 quick reload)

Again, that was during Early Access 5 and the ONLY tanks you encountered was another T8, until very very late on when some people kept grinding to T7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The line I chose to go down stops at tier 7 because I am loving dumb.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

2/3's of the way to the M60A3 EXP wise. I'm surprised that its supposed to be one of the best T5 MBT's, it was just kinda a thing IRL but not exemplary. Cant wait to have a sub-10 second reload again though, fuckkkkk

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream
The Forums already have reached a point where i cannot go there anymore simply because i cherish my sanity. Some of the best people seem to have come over from WoT and WT, bringing such constructive criticism it's incredible.

Nevermind the game has been in OBT literally less than 24 hours, mind you.

:suicide:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Since the current batt is full, I made a new one, GOONS.

Could I get in on the sweaty goon action?

in game name: smoothjazz

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss
Is there anyway to know which vehicles have ATGM?

I know the Swingfire is ATGMs only, but I'd also like to know which of the traditional "gun" type vehicles also have ATGMs.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Well, you could check out each vehicle's upgrade tree, if there are missiles in it then yes. Dunno if there are some with a stock missile and no upgrades though.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Has there been any mention of when the collector's edition packs will be withdrawn from sale, or whether the vehicles in them will be available at a later date?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LordBaxter posted:

Has there been any mention of when the collector's edition packs will be withdrawn from sale, or whether the vehicles in them will be available at a later date?

Well the vehicles from the founder package will probably be available in a year, and that was also mentioned in the package sale.

There is nothing like that on the collector's edition so...who knows?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Can an Eurogoon toss me an invite to, uh, whatever clan we've got going? I use my forums name in-game.

Edit: Also, how the heck do I rack up the damage to unlock wheeled destroyers? Should I just get Leo 1 and zoot around trying to find good plinking spots?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 9, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

LordBaxter posted:

Based on the wording, I'd say that the "Exclusive" tanks will not be for sale later, while the ones just called "Premium" will be. Never know though!

Siivola posted:

Edit: Also, how the heck do I rack up the damage to unlock wheeled destroyers? Should I just get Leo 1 and zoot around trying to find good plinking spots?

Snipe snipe snipe! Autocannons obviously don't work too well, but the BMP for example does well enough in that regard. Leo works as well, though it's slower getting everywhere obviously.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Can someone who has bought it give me a rundown on the RDF/LT? I'm thinking about buying the Taifun II but if the RDF is fun enough/different enough from the Exp.Tank then I might get the full on whale package (God help me)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Played this game for a while today, after it's slow rear end download finally completed. I shot at Fartcar.

Confirmed, shot at by nerdy.

Game is good fun but lol @ people who claim aiming isn't RNG bullshit. I flanked a T54 and 3 rounds in a row did nothing because RNG decided they would all go high and bounce off the side of the turret instead of into the soft side armor I was aiming at.

All in all good game. Seems like the design philosophy of 'make WoT clone, remove all the stupid Belorussian design bullshit' was a sound choice!

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Confirmed, shot at by nerdy.

Game is good fun but lol @ people who claim aiming isn't RNG bullshit. I flanked a T54 and 3 rounds in a row did nothing because RNG decided they would all go high and bounce off the side of the turret instead of into the soft side armor I was aiming at.

All in all good game. Seems like the design philosophy of 'make WoT clone, remove all the stupid Belorussian design bullshit' was a sound choice!

At least the RNG isn't AS bad.

quote:

The spread of RNG compared to World of Tanks is much reduced, with 10% being standard for most areas. One notable exception is Shaped Charge ammo, which has 15%. Guns are also more accurate: nearly all of them are below 0.3°.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Fallout posted:

Is there anyway to know which vehicles have ATGM?

I know the Swingfire is ATGMs only, but I'd also like to know which of the traditional "gun" type vehicles also have ATGMs.
You can click on the gun options in the upgrade tree. It'll tell you all the ammo options available without unlocking. Some AFVs only get ATGMs on an upgraded weapon system.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Wait. Why do I have 6 million credits.

Also wow, those guys at Obsidian make it really hard to hate them. Even if you do not collect your 100 supply every day, they get stored up. So you don't need to log in every single day.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Vorkosigan posted:

At least the RNG isn't AS bad.

I beieve it's reduced and I'm fine with it as a mechanic because the rest of the game is fun, but after a few hours of gameplay I don't believe for one second it's one-third of one degree.

From a design standpoint I don't understand the use of RNG for accuracy at all. The shrinking CoF I totally get. Makes sense, easy to understand. But why not just allow it to shrink to a point where you just get to hit what you're aiming at. Period. What is gained by arbitrarily making you miss sometimes, aside from frustrating the player at random times?

Game is still cool and fun tho.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Downloading the game as we speak, will take a few more hours. Getting pretty excited to try it out thanks to all those "It's like WoT with less frustrating bullshit" posts on the last couple pages. A few of my WoT clanmates are getting in too, we'll probably just start an AW branch of our clan if more of us migrate.

While I wait, does anyone have any pointers about which WoT habits I should most try to shake in AW? Being a bitter, vitriolic husk of a person doesn't count, that one runs too deep.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'm going to flip out about fake CHAI in matches until one of you nerdlords screenshot it and post it here.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Nordick posted:

Downloading the game as we speak, will take a few more hours. Getting pretty excited to try it out thanks to all those "It's like WoT with less frustrating bullshit" posts on the last couple pages. A few of my WoT clanmates are getting in too, we'll probably just start an AW branch of our clan if more of us migrate.

While I wait, does anyone have any pointers about which WoT habits I should most try to shake in AW? Being a bitter, vitriolic husk of a person doesn't count, that one runs too deep.

Don't sidescrape. With some exceptions, you're almost never going to bounce shots off of your sides. Side armor values are too low and pen values are too high even at extreme angles. Angling in general is less important, but not totally useless.

Ammo mechanics are different. I'm too lazy to do a full run down but definitely at least read the ammo type descriptions on the tooltips. There's also no gold ammo, so a lot more situations where you just can't pen someone from where you are.

Hatch sniping is heavily penalized. I don't know what the modifier is, but hatch snipes only do partial damage.

Arty is actually good and fun on either team.

Best thing: you don't have to get mad when you lose. Performance is more heavily rewarded than winning and on a hard fought loss you'll make more XP/credits than anyone on the winning team.

Edit: thinking about this I had a thought. It might just be me, but I feel like there's a lot in the game that punishes you for trying to go solo. MBTs don't have enough DPM to deal with flankers even if they can get their gun turned on them, flankers don't have the HP/armor or nearly the kind of camo protection as they do in WoT, and it's much harder to play spotting games for a "my entire team just died hopelessly" hard carry. Thoughts?

Occupy Sesame Street! fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 9, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

On the flip side you'll still do damage shooting hatches so if you don't have any other shot may as well take it. I killed a dude who sat there and let me shoot his hatch 10 times in a row for some reason :shrug:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Wait. Why do I have 6 million credits.

Also wow, those guys at Obsidian make it really hard to hate them. Even if you do not collect your 100 supply every day, they get stored up. So you don't need to log in every single day.

IIRC it stores up to 1k raw materials before you lose it to overflow.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Cool stuff, thanks. Not sidescraping shouldn't be too hard, I play very few sidescraping tanks in WoT to begin with.

Also the download speed has picked up somewhat, I might even get to play this thing tonight. :v:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hatch sniping with HE seems to do more damage than hatch sniping with AP because of their HE mechanics, I need to test it more though.

The BMP-2 has 7,200 DPM with its autocannon, I just want people to know this because it is :black101: as gently caress.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
The russian publisher of armored warfare (mail.ru) is giving away a BRDM-2 with custom paintjob. Importing armored vehicles into germany isn't that easy as you have to 'break the armor' to make them legal, and that would probably ruin the paintjob, so I'll pass. Even though driving it back to germany would make for a nice roadtrip story.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've decided to give this a try. It's definitely better than WoT, but I'm not sure how good an idea it was to put the M113 and fully-armoured MBTs in the same game, at least in PvP; in PvE it feels like armour is much more easily penetrated, which I assume has something to do with the fact they're all listed as "Salvaged T-54" or whatever.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

spectralent posted:

I've decided to give this a try. It's definitely better than WoT, but I'm not sure how good an idea it was to put the M113 and fully-armoured MBTs in the same game, at least in PvP; in PvE it feels like armour is much more easily penetrated, which I assume has something to do with the fact they're all listed as "Salvaged T-54" or whatever.

Think of APCs like the Luchs but with a huge clip. Fast scouts with no armor but an auto cannon that lets you wreck the day of literally anything you get behind. Also you get the target designator (E key) which something something makes the target's day suck. Even the ones without an autocannon usually have a ridiculous DPM.

And yeah, most of the PVE enemies have seriously nerfed armor. Sling lots of HEAT for bonus damage.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

spectralent posted:

salvaged stuff is 'downgraded' and does less damage and has weaker armor. you'll also run into 'superior' models later on as you climb the tiers and difficulties. Also boss encounters.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

protastic posted:

Fast scouts with no armor but an auto cannon that lets you wreck the day of literally anything you get behind.

The early autocannons have problems still penning the buts of the russian MBT's. You'll wreck the other ones but try to avoid the russian MBT in your tier 1 and 2 auto cannons. Their butts seem to be made of weird magic that should be penned but doesn't get penned.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Downloading this now, what is the most recommended MBT line? I'd check their forums but if their anything like the WoT forums then they should be set on fire.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Axetrain posted:

Downloading this now, what is the most recommended MBT line? I'd check their forums but if their anything like the WoT forums then they should be set on fire.

The XM1 is a tier 6 MBT that is legitimately too strong for its tier.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I'd go down the soviet T-62 -> T-90 line first, that will unlock you the Chieftain -> CR2 line without any effort, which will unlock you the Tier 5 Chieftain MK.5 tank that needs Tier 5 level of experience to complete and gets you a Tier 7 tank in return. So that is the quickest way to get one of the high-end tanks. The Chieftain is not that well liked, but I actually think it's rather brutal once you got tha armor upgrade and unlocked the retrofit slots. It got a solid HP pool already and 2 armor and one omni upgrade slot to boost it even further. There's also an additional weapon upgrade slot you can use for whatever you like.

The M60 line that leads to the XM1 is pretty rough, especially the M60A2 is terrible in PvP, but it's fun in PvE as the AI at least sometimes hit you in spots that actually have armor and those american 152mm gun launchers are just hilarious to bloop tanks with.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Axetrain posted:

Personally I would say the XM-1 at tier 6 in the US MBT line is a thing of beauty and a good intermediate goal. It can reliably bounce stuff and has tiny weak spots.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Played until 2am last night. Pretty decent game. Really bland on the mechanics but it's basically WoT + Shiny Engine - Russians - Grind.

Bland because WT Tanks does such a good job with pseudo-sim like stuff. The scouting mechanic in AW is pretty freakin' fun and it never gets old dune buggying all over the place.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 9, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I wonder if there's a case to be made for having only infantry carriers able to capture.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
you shitlords are no fun

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Agrajag posted:

you shitlords are no fun

Chill man! Give it a month and they'll release the Chinese tanks, and then you can finally get a Type 59! :)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Stanley Pain posted:

Played until 2am last night. Pretty decent game. Really bland on the mechanics but it's basically WoT + Shiny Engine - Russians - Grind.

Bland because WT Tanks does such a good job with pseudo-sim like stuff. The scouting mechanic in AW is pretty freakin' fun and it never gets old dune buggying all over the place.

I just had a 6.6k xp game in the Fox. Gold medal and Recon badge too and this was not even my daily. Took me 300 games to get the WoT habits out of my system, since these tactics will get you killed here.

The battlefield in this game seems way more deadly than in WoT or WT, especially because there are so many kill zones where people can hit you from halfway across the map. When in doubt fall back, relocate and commence Operation Pubbie Shield. Once you understand the spotting system and that brave deeds are kinda counterproductive here the game becomes really fun.

There is also much less of a rush to the top as in other games. I mean in WoT you go from flimsy light tanks with 2cm guns to 122mm monsters. Here you have a lot of interesting and "real" tanks at the low tiers already. So you can pick something you enjoy playing and then focus on pimping them out by grinding the best modules for them. The Swingfire for example is a true keeper, or the XM-1 and some goons seem to love the Sheridan.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 9, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

The battlefield in this game seems way more deadly than in WoT or WT, especially because there are so many kill zones where people can hit you from halfway across the map. When in doubt fall back, relocate and commence Operation Pubbie Shield. Once you understand the spotting system and that brave deeds are kinda counterproductive here the game becomes really fun.

And yet, my most fun and effective games have had me running all over the battlefield in go-karts with autocannons, pushing pubbies and generally making a nuisance of myself. XM800T is great for this. Live fast, die sometimes young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerstein posted:

There is also much less of a rush to the top as in other games. I mean in WoT you go from flimsy light tanks with 2cm guns to 122mm monsters. Here you have a lot of interesting and "real" tanks at the low tiers already. So you can pick something you enjoy playing and then focus on pimping them out by grinding the best modules for them. The Swingfire for example is a true keeper, or the XM-1 and some goons seem to love the Sheridan.

After T1 everything is fun to drive around it. Kinda refreshing to have a fun game in here instead of a platform for whale harpooning ;)

• Locked thread