Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ash1138 posted:

Yeah the sad fact is that she's too old to break into Hollywood on her own and if she thinks that Squadron 42 is going to jumpstart her career because she'll get exposure alongside big name actors and actresses, she's in for a surprise.

When it turns out to be a colossal failure she'll be known as a terrible actress who is married to a guy who made a $100+ million stinker of a moviegame after getting run out of Hollywood. I don't know what that does to someone with her personality, but it's probably not good.

This is a very complicated way of presenting the goon go-to advice "Sever!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Well poirot is dead. And these guys love taking off and putting on their oxygen masks.

"THIS TAKES BALLS"

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 11, 2015

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I was thinking, even if they have pretty much blown all their cash reserves on cocaine and Garry Oldman, don't they pull in ~$20k a day from the subscribers and whatnot, even on the bad days? Not counting the $1m sales days. I know things have been declining, but presuming the majority of their outlay is on staff now (350 of them I think?) then it looks to me like they can spin this thing out for another year at least even with a drop-off in the big sales. After all, I haven't seen anyone arguing that they have anything less than $8m in the bank right now.

What do game production staff get paid anyway? I never hear anything good about employment in the games industry. What would the average CIG employee's wage be (obviously excluding stuff like $500k cheques to Sandi or whatever)?

I suppose they must also be paying a lot for these consultants on the performance capture stuff, plus office upkeep and equipment/server rent. Still, I'm thinking it's possible they could come out with some form of SQ42 episode at the end of next year, though I can't see how it won't still be janky as gently caress by then. Guess we'll just have to see how the numbers go over the next 30 days to get an indication of what's in store for the sustainability of their finances.
Sure is a fascinating (and horrifying) thing, this Star Citizen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ShredsYouSay posted:

Wow, 20 minutes in, and this Wing Commander film is atrocious.

Also, I like how apparently there's a quasar next to Vega.

Ah, this explains why our galaxy exploded yesterday and we're all dead now.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm thinking legal fees might put a dent in their war chest soon.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

Is that pilot dead? We don't know? PUSH HER OFF THE LANDING PAD FOR SOME REASON WITH A SPACE BULLDOZER.

Oh the humanity.

I'm guessing Star Citizen's cutscenes will be up to this caliber of nonsense

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

All they need to do is to tell everyone that he's spent hundreds of dollars on jpegs, lmao.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

El Grillo posted:

So I was thinking, even if they have pretty much blown all their cash reserves on cocaine and Garry Oldman, don't they pull in ~$20k a day from the subscribers and whatnot, even on the bad days? Not counting the $1m sales days. I know things have been declining, but presuming the majority of their outlay is on staff now (350 of them I think?) then it looks to me like they can spin this thing out for another year at least even with a drop-off in the big sales. After all, I haven't seen anyone arguing that they have anything less than $8m in the bank right now.

What do game production staff get paid anyway? I never hear anything good about employment in the games industry. What would the average CIG employee's wage be (obviously excluding stuff like $500k cheques to Sandi or whatever)?

I suppose they must also be paying a lot for these consultants on the performance capture stuff, plus office upkeep and equipment/server rent. Still, I'm thinking it's possible they could come out with some form of SQ42 episode at the end of next year, though I can't see how it won't still be janky as gently caress by then. Guess we'll just have to see how the numbers go over the next 30 days to get an indication of what's in store for the sustainability of their finances.

If they have only 8 million in the bank and 350 employees I doubt they could stretch that out for more than 4-5 months. That's only $22k per employee and I doubt they're being paid minimum wage - gently caress knows what other costs they'd have on top of that.

It seems unlikely that they're down to 8 million but if they are the wheels are gonna come off this thing way before the end of 2016.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
This whole thing does make me wonder how many times I'm going to see the "creative visionary" given complete control of new personal project and completely fucks it up in my lifetime.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

El Grillo posted:

What do game production staff get paid anyway? I never hear anything good about employment in the games industry.

The number I usually hear is that the average game production staff costs $10k a month to keep on (including salary and associated variable costs). So 350 staff would come to like $42 million per year.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
So, you should all watch the cake cutting potion of the stream again. I think it's the most telling part of the whole thing.

He has no idea how to cut a cake, says so, and keeps cutting.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

260 staff / 20k is $76 each, not counting rent.

But yeah say they cut to 2 million a month, they might be able to keep going for another year. But what will they produce in a year of reduced output given what we've seen in the last year?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

ShredsYouSay posted:

Is that pilot dead? We don't know? PUSH HER OFF THE LANDING PAD FOR SOME REASON WITH A SPACE BULLDOZER.

Oh the humanity.

I'm guessing Star Citizen's cutscenes will be up to this caliber of nonsense

Is the pilot black ? Push her off the landing pad with the Sandidozer !!!

(she was black, and female too)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

The number I usually hear is that the average game production staff costs $10k a month to keep on (including salary and associated variable costs). So 350 staff would come to like $42 million per year.

Yeah, so that'd be game over by December if they only had 8 million left. There's no way that's true - but it's interesting to think about. What would they do if this was the case? Well they'd probably start selling ludicrously expensive ship packages to try to squeeze the last they can out of the remaining whales... humzz.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Chalks posted:

If they have only 8 million in the bank and 350 employees I doubt they could stretch that out for more than 4-5 months. That's only $22k per employee and I doubt they're being paid minimum wage - gently caress knows what other costs they'd have on top of that.

It seems unlikely that they're down to 8 million but if they are the wheels are gonna come off this thing way before the end of 2016.

Hence the referal program, new super heavy fighter and unlimited ammount of Idris corvete (now bumped to frigate).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Chalks posted:

Well they'd probably start selling ludicrously expensive ship packages to try to squeeze the last they can out of the remaining whales... humzz.

Nah man that's crazy. But hey, can I give you my referral code. I'm only two people away from Fishtank 2.0.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Given this post, and the two Derek Smart hate-subs r/dereksmart and r/shitdereksmartsays, I'm wondering how long until the Star Citizen sub gets shut down. I sent a message to one of the admins yesterday when they were actively using the sub to shut streams down however no response.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Matlock Birthmark posted:

This whole thing does make me wonder how many times I'm going to see the "creative visionary" given complete control of new personal project and completely fucks it up in my lifetime.

I know it's not exactly equivalent, but I still haven't recovered from The Matrix sequels. Watching CIG burn is part of my healing process.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to see the posts when CIG folds and the whales are publicly crying about fraud and 'WE JUST DIDNT KNOW, ALL MY MONEY IS GONE'

Gonna own

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I know it's not exactly equivalent, but I still haven't recovered from The Matrix sequels. Watching CIG burn is part of my healing process.

Seriously? It's been 12 years. It's time to let go.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Furiously posted:

So, you should all watch the cake cutting potion of the stream again. I think it's the most telling part of the whole thing.

Who on this world over 7 doesn't know hot to cut a cake? What kind of life would someone live in order to have never cut one? It's not a big deal but just highly unusual for western culture :psyduck:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I can't wait to see the posts when CIG folds and the whales are publicly crying about fraud and 'WE JUST DIDNT KNOW, ALL MY MONEY IS GONE'

Gonna own

It is pretty nice of everyone who's still deep into this to act like such utter tossers in the face of any and all criticism, it means there's no need to feel sorry for them at all when it all goes to hell.

Get your refunds in now folks, last chance before the money dries up!

Furiously posted:

And then he spits all over it. It's glorious.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Eonwe posted:

Gonna own

It's hard to say what's going to happen. CIG folding, releasing a mediocre product, a sudden, violent moment of realization among the cult. It could be almost anything. But regardless of what happens, it will be hilarious.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

El Grillo posted:

Most game dev jobs pay less than other programming jobs. But experienced people are still costly. I don't think CIG is attracting the caliber of talent it needs. No matter what they say, people in any industry gossip. And I can't imagine anyone would recommend them working there at this point.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Part of 'creative visionary's' success relies on pressure, constructive criticism and a creative team. Look at the first Star Wars. poo poo was awful, budget was running low, things had to be cut or edited. The vision had to be compromised, but it turned out amazing because there were people there with skill and experience to say 'no, this isn't going to work' or 'no, this is dumb'. Look when Lucas had full reign and nobody there willing to criticize him. He went from 'creative visionary' to an absolute joke.

Movies and games are not made in a vacuum. They require teams of skilled people to rally around a person. In 'Breaking Bad', Vince Gilligan didn't surround himself with yes men. He wanted to have that criticism. If he had a dumb idea, he wanted to be called out on it. And the show turned out to be one of the best shows ever. Even if you are a solo creative type like a writer, you need an editor there to help you. A good editor is amazing. Even in science, things are done in teams. The lone genius that stays a lone genius is incredibly rare. Because it is nearly impossible to let that poo poo not go to your head. You need someone there who has perspective that you don't have. And that's fine. To get caught up in your own hype and bullshit leads to the Phantom Menace Prequels and Star Citizen.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

Gonna own

That won't happen. They'll blame Goons, Derek Smart, Escapist, and a bunch of other people for the incompetence of Christ Roberts, PBUH.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He is just a creative soul who wanted to cut the cake in concentric circles

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Christ. Don't know what the 'average game production staff' means but are you saying the average wage at CIG could be $120,000? Had no idea game staff would earn so much.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

OhDearGodNo posted:

Who on this world over 7 doesn't know hot to cut a cake? What kind of life would someone live in order to have never cut one? It's not a big deal but just highly unusual for western culture :psyduck:

When you dedicate much of your life to chopping loose powder into perfect slices, coming face to face with a solid rhombus of spongy material would be confusing and intimidating.

Also, the blade's handle was on the side, Chris saw no way of keeping his knuckles clean with that sort of cutting tool.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

El Grillo posted:

Christ. Don't know what the 'average game production staff' means but are you saying the average wage at CIG could be $120,000? Had no idea game staff would earn so much.

No. That's not what I said at all.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Grillo posted:

No. There are overhead costs to employing somebody, other than just their base salary.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

El Grillo posted:

Well, you need experienced people for a game on the scale of Star Citizen and those people don't come cheap.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's already confirmed they work for below the industry standard in wages at CIG

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster

ShredsYouSay posted:

I would kinda like to see an inflation corrected version of that list of videogames.
Development costs only, marketing costs excluded for fair comparison. 2015 calculated at USD $250 = 1 btc

• GAME | rel. Date | orig. Dev Cost | 2015 adjusted | 2025 adjusted
  • COD: MW2 | 2009 | 200k btc | 220k btc | 1.1 BTC
  • GTA V | 2013 | 548k btc | 560k btc | 2.3 btc
  • FF VII | 1997 | 180k btc | 264k btc | 1.32 btc
  • Star Wars: ToW | 2011 | 800k btc | 840k btc | 4.2 btc
  • Destiny | 2014 | 560k btc | 560k btc | 2.3 btc
  • GTA IV | 2008 | 400k btc | 440k btc | 2.2 btc
  • Too Human | 2008 | 400k btc | 440k btc | 2.2 btc
  • Max Payne 3 | 2012 | 420k btc | 432k btc | 2.16 btc
  • All Points Bulletin | 2010 | 400k btc | 432k btc | 2.16 btc
  • Red Dead Red. | 2010 | 400k btc | 432k btc | 2.16 btc
  • Disney Infinity | 2013 | 400k btc | 400k btc | 2.0 btc
  • Tomb Raider | 2013 | 400k btc | 400k btc | 2.0 btc
  • Shenmue | 1999 | 188k btc | 272k btc | 1.36 btc
  • Halo MMO | N/A | 360k btc | 396k btc | 1.98 btc
  • Star Citizen | 2025 | 360k btc | 360k btc | 1.53 btc

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

Ah, and now Wing Commander has a really lovely fps section.

It looks a lot like the teaser but the smoke is green.

ITS NOT FAITH ITS GENETICS

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 11, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eonwe posted:

Gonna own

Going to be awesome when octopode suck-starts a 12-gauge :neckbeard:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Octopedo posted:

$0 = 1 btc

Hi seraph.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Overheads are pretty high. You've gotta pay for rent on an office, insurance, lease line internet connectivity, computers and other equipment, email servers, software licenses etc etc. Then you've gotta pay the guy's salary on top of that. I've heard it said that the cost of employing someone is about 50% salary 50% other expenses.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Going to be awesome when octopode suck-starts a 12-gauge :neckbeard:

Be honest, you'd help him pull the trigger wouldn't you?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopedo posted:

Development costs only, marketing costs excluded for fair comparison. 2015 calculated at USD $250 = 1 btc

• GAME | rel. Date | orig. Dev Cost | 2015 adjusted | 2025 adjusted
  • COD: MW2 | 2009 | 200k btc | 220k btc | 1.1 BTC
  • GTA V | 2013 | 548k btc | 560k btc | 2.3 btc
  • FF VII | 1997 | 180k btc | 264k btc | 1.32 btc
  • Star Wars: ToW | 2011 | 800k btc | 840k btc | 4.2 btc
  • Destiny | 2014 | 560k btc | 560k btc | 2.3 btc
  • GTA IV | 2008 | 400k btc | 440k btc | 2.2 btc
  • Too Human | 2008 | 400k btc | 440k btc | 2.2 btc
  • Max Payne 3 | 2012 | 420k btc | 432k btc | 2.16 btc
  • All Points Bulletin | 2010 | 400k btc | 432k btc | 2.16 btc
  • Red Dead Red. | 2010 | 400k btc | 432k btc | 2.16 btc
  • Disney Infinity | 2013 | 400k btc | 400k btc | 2.0 btc