Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

Doesn't Orgeron absolutely hate USC brass for what they did to him? There's no way he comes back unless it involves at least a new AD.

I guess he played the game so maybe there could be some painkiller stuff or whatever in addition to the booze but pretty much what Frackie said.

Alcoholism on it's own is plenty enough to wreck your life it's it's bad enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Do people not understand how bad alcoholism can be?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zurreco posted:

I wonder what Sark's deal is. It can't just be drinking, right?

Have you never seen a real, true to form alcoholic?

It's horrifying. we all joke about being drunks or whatever but someone who actually is one is a sight to behold.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Crotch Bat posted:

Do people not understand how bad alcoholism can be?

Do yourself a favor and don't read the comments on ESPN then.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Imagine an alcoholic trying to build a successful football progr...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's not too late to correct the mistake and rehire Coach O.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not too late to correct the mistake and rehire Coach O.

Yes it is, do not even think of taking him from LSU. You can't have him

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

FizFashizzle posted:

Have you never seen a real, true to form alcoholic?

It's horrifying. we all joke about being drunks or whatever but someone who actually is one is a sight to behold.

Sure, but Sark wasn't anywhere near where he is now when he was at UW. If it is just drinking, I don't see how it didn't happen when he was rebuilding in Seattle. This city drives you to drink without the stress of staring down Oregon and Stanford every season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think anyone knows enough about the situation to say what happened, but it seems pretty clear that he has a legitimate issue if he's showing up to work drunk

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Maryland's performance might be terrible, but why fire a coach mid season? That seems much worse on the short term, if not also in the long term.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Komet posted:

Maryland's performance might be terrible, but why fire a coach mid season? That seems much worse on the short term, if not also in the long term.

In theory why you do it is to get an early start on the coaching search and to salvage the current recruiting class. It's important to note that Maryland doesn't have a great class but they do have a QB in Dwayne Haskins who is one of the 3-4 best in the country for this cycle and he's the type of QB they could rebuild around if they can secure a coach that he wants to play for instead of Edsall.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Thoughts on Maryland: I think they made the decision, as CB said, to try and get a start on hiring and try to salvage the recruiting class; the problem for them is they're getting out recruited in their back yard. (It's almost like Randy Edsall was a lazy rear end recruiter and the writing for that was on the wall.)

On USC: It's pretty clear that if Sark is coming to practice drunk, he's got a problem. Reports are coming out now that people were concerned about his drinking even before he got hired at USC and that boosters told Hayden not to hire him because of it. I would think, given the pretty big whiffs on coaches Haden had made, they'd be ahead to fire him too and just start over.

quote:

"The truth is USC is a storied program, and since this whole debacle with Reggie (Bush) the school has floundered,” said one USC source Sunday afternoon. “Hiring (Lane) Kiffin was a mistake, and then you follow up that mistake by hiring Sark, who is not that much different than Kiffin? All of the former players are so mad. I don’t know how it could get to this point. This stuff never happens at other schools, but it keeps happening at USC because of the people in charge don’t seem to take anything seriously.

"What has Pat Haden done since he’s been there? You have all these unbelievable resources and history, and it’s a group of people in charge that doesn’t know what they’re doing. They’re grasping to have some attachment to Pete (Carroll), and they keep screwing it up. Instead of (Haden and Sarkisian) addressing the issue appropriately (in August), they let him skirt the issue. Obviously, he does have a problem. He should’ve stood there and said, 'I have a real problem. I’m getting real help.' It’s just a bad situation for him, and bad for everyone at USC."

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

On USC: It's pretty clear that if Sark is coming to practice drunk, he's got a problem. Reports are coming out now that people were concerned about his drinking even before he got hired at USC and that boosters told Hayden not to hire him because of it. I would think, given the pretty big whiffs on coaches Haden had made, they'd be ahead to fire him too and just start over.

There were always rumors about him showing up to recruiting events and whatnot drunk when he was at UW.

And uh, I guess it might not have just been during practice:

InsideUSC ‏@InsideUSC
BREAKING: #USC assistants pulled Steve Sarkisian out of player huddle on sideline during Arizona State game. Believed he was not sober.
4:10 PM - 11 Oct 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
UW dodged a real bullet here. USC can probably come back from embarrassing mid season firings but this would be really bad for Washington.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zifnab posted:

There were always rumors about him showing up to recruiting events and whatnot drunk when he was at UW.

And uh, I guess it might not have just been during practice:

InsideUSC ‏@InsideUSC
BREAKING: #USC assistants pulled Steve Sarkisian out of player huddle on sideline during Arizona State game. Believed he was not sober.
4:10 PM - 11 Oct 2015

scrolling through InsideUSC's timeline over the last day or so is pretty crazy

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
A head coach being drunk during the game is one of the craziest things I can remember happening in college football. wow

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Marquis de Pyro posted:

A head coach being drunk during the game is one of the craziest things I can remember happening in college football. wow

I legit assume on any given Saturday a couple head coaches are wasted.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Thoguh posted:

Would explain some of the decision making you see

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, and I bet if we went back to the 70s, half of them probably had a couple whiskeys before the game

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoguh posted:

It's actually the one time George O'Leary is sober...

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I would be shocked if Mike Leach hasn't been drunk at least once on a Saturday. It would explain his "gently caress it, keep throwing the ball" air raid approach.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zurreco posted:

I would be shocked if Mike Leach hasn't been drunk at least once on a Saturday. It would explain his "gently caress it, keep throwing the ball" air raid approach.

Some coaches should be drunk as a requirement.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Zurreco posted:

He was just following the lead of the Cougs' most prominent fan

RIP wheez

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, and I bet if we went back to the 70s, half of them probably had a couple whiskeys before the game

Before, during, and after.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Apparently some serious poo poo is about to go down in Piscataway this week.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Kim Jong Il posted:

"Firing Bad Coach" is hardly "serious poo poo"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Zurreco posted:

He's a Mormon, so no.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's a Mormon, so no.

Cusses a lot for a Mormon...

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Kim Jong Il posted:

No one even knows where that is

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"Firing Bad Coach" is hardly "serious poo poo"

They've found some really bad things that he did, well bad by our standards.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kim Jong Il posted:

Isn't Rutgers desperately searching for a reason to fire him with cause so they don't have to pay his buyout?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JesustheDarkLord posted:

No one even knows where that is

Piscataway/New Brunswick is where Rutgers is.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I googled it already

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So some of the local Athens/UGA publications have started on the "fire Richt" train and the real questions that I have about that is: for who? Only person that I could remotely see is Kirby Smart but it would have to be for a lot of money for a first time head coach, and that's is only if UGA wanted to keep doing the whole Tuscaloosa Football of the East hiring experiment that they've got going on currently.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

So some of the local Athens/UGA publications have started on the "fire Richt" train and the real questions that I have about that is: for who? Only person that I could remotely see is Kirby Smart but it would have to be for a lot of money for a first time head coach, and that's is only if UGA wanted to keep doing the whole Tuscaloosa Football of the East hiring experiment that they've got going on currently.

Honestly if UGA doesn't hire Smart soon, Alabama is probably going to keep him when Saban retires. Gotta hop on the Smart train before it leaves the station.

Also you totally want to keep the Tuscaloosa East thing rolling, the only thing you're missing atm is a good game day coach. Smart is at least as good of a recruiter as Richt so the talent won't drop off even if he fails.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Smart would be an obvious choice, but I think Muschamp's failures will bring more scrutiny to the Saban-defensive-disciple label that would've traditionally been a vote of confidence.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

Well I mean they have been awful the last two years even beyond that game but lol gently caress off Dan McCarney you shithead

I'm really glad UNT has sucked lately because otherwise there would be a significant contingent of ISU fans clamoring for him to come back. I thought he had UNT doing pretty well the last couple years, but apparently not!

Speaking of current ISU coaches, I don't see how Paul Rhoads survives the year. They are going to be underdogs for every remaining game, and maybe double digit underdogs for all of them. I will be surprised if they win one more game, and another 2 win season will not cut it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's a Mormon, so no.

He's a well noted terrible Mormon who, back in Lubbock, would bar crawl with the best of them. Never paid for a drink.

Though he doesn't coach drunk. That's just him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

This would be impressive given that your standards include coaches literally assaulting student athletes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thoguh posted:

I mean I dunno about wasted, but I'm sure there are more than a few functional alcoholics in the ranks, just like any other business. Those "always drinking, rarely obviously drunk" types. Of course, most of them are functional until they're not. Sounds like Sark finally went from Roger Sterling to Freddy Rumsen.

• Locked thread