Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

511s are slim jeans, it says right on the label

510s with spandex are skinny jeans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

TRON JEREMY posted:

cjs: all i earn is dust in the wind

you can have it all, my empire of dirt

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Smythe posted:

no. i need someone to literally sit behyind the plexiglass and hand out tickets to my beloved patrons. i know them all by face, and love them. many of them, i kiss - on the cheek.

butt cheek?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

im a college dropout lol. fail. aids

that doesn't matter all that much. u should still apply and tell them how good u are at ur job even if its a lie.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Solus M.D. posted:

you can have it all, my empire of dirt

johnny cash improved the lyrics just by s/poo poo/thorns/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cjs: the matlab expert my lab hired just spent five loud minutes trying to turn off windows narration. guy also sounds like master shake on helium

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

prefect posted:

butt cheek?

the balls cheek

Shaggar posted:

that doesn't matter all that much. u should still apply and tell them how good u are at ur job even if its a lie.

ty for the advice & confidence

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

cjs: the matlab expert my lab hired just spent five loud minutes trying to turn off windows narration. guy also sounds like master shake on helium

record him and post it

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 355 days!

Shaggar posted:

record him and post it

agreed, idiot hell fucker

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

the hell is "windows narration"?

also, i think it's cool that people know who master shake is

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

matlab is good

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 355 days!

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

my gf hates her job and is getting poo poo on and it's really bad and she wants to quit (without having a new job) and in my mind that's the worst idea ever but I've also never been a woman in a STEM field being disrespected by less-qualified dudes so I can't fathom how stressful it is

if anyone has any advice I'll pass it on, also any job offers in like, energy management and quantitative energy analysis

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PipeRifle posted:

my gf hates her job and is getting poo poo on and it's really bad and she wants to quit (without having a new job) and in my mind that's the worst idea ever but I've also never been a woman in a STEM field being disrespected by less-qualified dudes so I can't fathom how stressful it is

if anyone has any advice I'll pass it on, also any job offers in like, energy management and quantitative energy analysis

i don't have any advice, but here's a sad story that's almost kinda-sorta related if you squint just right: The Consequences of Sexual Harassment in Astronomy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

prefect posted:

the hell is "windows narration"?

also, i think it's cool that people know who master shake is

w/e the guided access thing is that tells you what your mouse pointer is on

now he's playing the windows 10 intro videos at maximum volume. did i mention he's a baby boomer?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

w/e the guided access thing is that tells you what your mouse pointer is on

now he's playing the windows 10 intro videos at maximum volume. did i mention he's a baby boomer?

go easy on the old people; i'm sure he knows things that would curl your toes, and being good at windows hasn't been high on his priority list

:corsair:

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

prefect posted:

i don't have any advice, but here's a sad story that's almost kinda-sorta related if you squint just right: The Consequences of Sexual Harassment in Astronomy

Yeah this is more like she is a PM and a guy did a really lovely job and she reprimanded him and tried to give him guidance a bunch but he just hosed off and missed deadlines. A manager gets involved and the dude is like "oh she was a bad PM and she didn't tell me anything was wrong or give me feedback" and she's like "well that's just a straight-up lie and here's all of the evidence and correspondence proving that" and the other dude managers are like "let's not be hasty, is it possible that YOU hosed up and this is all your fault?"

And she's not even asking that he be fired or anything just like "this guy is not a good worker and I don't want him on my projects" and he cries that she's being mean to him and they're like "now now, you should give him a sixth or seventh chance" when male PMs who say "I don't want Jeff on my project anymore" the boss is like "oh okay, I'll put him on this one" and no one second-guesses or makes them prove their case

Also some poo poo like "I know you want to avoid talking about it but we WILL be having a meeting about this" and just condescending rear end in a top hat stuff which may or may not be rooted in sexism vs. just being a garbage person

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TRON JEREMY posted:

cjs: all i earn is dust in the wind

fuckin same :\

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PipeRifle posted:

my sister is a chem e and she says there are more and more mostly female engineering firms because of this so maybe check that out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PipeRifle posted:

Yeah this is more like she is a PM and a guy did a really lovely job and she reprimanded him and tried to give him guidance a bunch but he just hosed off and missed deadlines. A manager gets involved and the dude is like "oh she was a bad PM and she didn't tell me anything was wrong or give me feedback" and she's like "well that's just a straight-up lie and here's all of the evidence and correspondence proving that" and the other dude managers are like "let's not be hasty, is it possible that YOU hosed up and this is all your fault?"

And she's not even asking that he be fired or anything just like "this guy is not a good worker and I don't want him on my projects" and he cries that she's being mean to him and they're like "now now, you should give him a sixth or seventh chance" when male PMs who say "I don't want Jeff on my project anymore" the boss is like "oh okay, I'll put him on this one" and no one second-guesses or makes them prove their case

Also some poo poo like "I know you want to avoid talking about it but we WILL be having a meeting about this" and just condescending rear end in a top hat stuff which may or may not be rooted in sexism vs. just being a garbage person

there's a guy who wrote a blog post about the berkeley guy, and he starts off with a discussion of what it's like to be conned and how people get conned

In my case, if I had overcome my shame to report my con artist, I likely would have had the charge reimbursed and the company investigated. But I seriously doubt that the person on the other end of the phone at the consumer protection agency would have asked, "Are you sure you didn't lead the con artist on?" or "Oh, I know him. He'd never con anyone!" or "You know what, we need to keep this quiet. I think the best approach is for me to have a private conversation with the con artist to clear things up."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

my sister is a chem e and she says there are more and more mostly female engineering firms because of this so maybe check that out.

i would love to work in a place like that. women are so much less likely to be assholes; they're genuinely better to work with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eh....

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i had a woman boss who could be kind of assholish sometimes, but overall, men have a much higher incidence of assholery in my experience

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

My last few jobs have been managed by women and their managers were also women and basically anyone is capable of being a real jerkwad, regardless of literally any other aspect besides their humanity

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

record him and post it

i'll u/l it later

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

uh no

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

both are good and an insight into the differing perspectives on the song

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sorry, but "crown of poo poo" sounds like an angsty teenager who's trying to sound badass. "crown of thorns" gets you a biblical reference and it feels more intense and literary

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

"sounds like"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

sorry, but "crown of poo poo" sounds like an angsty teenager who's trying to sound badass. "crown of thorns" gets you a biblical reference and it feels more intense and literary

yes but after he covered personal jesus as jesus the man in black had jumped the biblical shark and i'd had enough

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

so everyone around here is getting ready for the big society for neuroscience meeting, which means i have gently caress-all to do until we actually get poo poo delivered. eg: one rodent guillotine, product id: DCAP

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

syscall girl posted:

yes but after he covered personal jesus as jesus the man in black had jumped the biblical shark and i'd had enough

there was a lot of johnny cash being released in his last few years. it's hard to begrudge him, but it wasn't too hard to get cash fatigue

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

eg: one rodent guillotine, product id: DCAP

lol i get it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

prefect posted:

there was a lot of johnny cash being released in his last few years. it's hard to begrudge him, but it wasn't too hard to get cash fatigue

ya you don't have to listen to all the american albums but i infinitely prefer the cash version of "hurt" to the original

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

sorry, but "crown of poo poo" sounds like an angsty teenager who's trying to sound badass.

exactly. trent penned the song at the nadir of his addiction, his youthful self involvement collapsing into itself. johnny sang the song as an old man looking back and regretting the people he hurt and recognizing the foolishness of his own youthful self pity. "crown of thorns" is kind of self aggrandizing and silly on its own, but coupled with "on my liars chair" it neatly underscores johnny's take on the song

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

PipeRifle posted:

My last few jobs have been managed by women and their managers were also women and basically anyone is capable of being a real jerkwad, regardless of literally any other aspect besides their humanity

assholes are a universal constant

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Solus M.D. posted:

ya you don't have to listen to all the american albums but i infinitely prefer the cash version of "hurt" to the original
a reality show winner in the uk also did a version of hurt and it's one of the worst things i ever heard

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Notorious QIG posted:

matlab is good

look at this wrong post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

jeans chat. i like 511 and 514s. my 511s shrunk and are too short now though. sad. :(

shoes chat. i bought some red sprees a few weeks ago and they're good. basically these but with laces.

• Locked thread