Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

bump_fn posted:

look at this wrong post

don't question me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just made some pasta IN A GLASS KETTLE. What a time to be alive although the kettle is from the seventies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Panty Saluter posted:

exactly. trent penned the song at the nadir of his addiction, his youthful self involvement collapsing into itself. johnny sang the song as an old man looking back and regretting the people he hurt and recognizing the foolishness of his own youthful self pity. "crown of thorns" is kind of self aggrandizing and silly on its own, but coupled with "on my liars chair" it neatly underscores johnny's take on the song

i don't want to denigrate the greater achievement of actually writing the song; i'm just saying i think cash's version is improved

(in general, singers get too much credit and songwriters don't get enough)

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

don't question me

Do it the old fashioned way like a real engineer

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

keyboard vomit posted:

Do it the old fashioned way like a real engineer

meanwhile, in the past:

dude don't use a fuckin' slide rule, do it the old fashioned way like a real engineer

*busts out an abacus and a cuneiform tablet*

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PipeRifle posted:

if anyone has any advice I'll pass it on, also any job offers in like, energy management and quantitative energy analysis
I have two women friends who work in neuroscience and they have horrible stories about horrible co-workers. Sorry!

I can share with you instead this lovely factoid:
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/08/26/3695728/virginia-shooting-workplace-homicide/

quote:

Women are far more susceptible to being murdered at work than men. While women have a lower workplace fatality rate — there were 302 fatal workplace injuries involving female workers in 2013 — 22 percent of them involved a homicide, making it the leading cause of death. For men, just 8 percent related to a homicide. That’s thanks to the fact that for victims of domestic violence, who are overwhelmingly female, the workplace is an ideal target for an abuser, given that it’s often a public and easy-to-find place. A woman is killed by an intimate partner at work about twice a month.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

i don't want to denigrate the greater achievement of actually writing the song; i'm just saying i think cash's version is improved

his performance was great but i was getting a lot of ego fluff out of the line change

just leave it alone and face the fact that you'll get bleeped on the today show

seriously that's where i first saw/heard jc hurt and holy smokes that was surprising during breakfast

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

meanwhile, in the past:

dude don't use a fuckin' slide rule, do it the old fashioned way like a real engineer

*busts out an abacus and a cuneiform tablet*

If you can't do it in your head you're a failure

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious QIG posted:

matlab is good

:vd:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

if johnny cash wasnt such a devout christian id be upset at the poo poo->thorns change but the fact of the matter is that the word "thorns" there gives it extra impact for him that it wouldn't have had if he just said poo poo

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

its flexible and powerful, only real drawback is that it's slow

kind of has to be for it to be a full linear algebra-based programming language though

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Notorious QIG posted:

its flexible and powerful, only real drawback is that it's slow

:dong:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

ultimately i agree with your point but i think both versions are excellent in their own ways. making qualitative judgements on one vs. the other is not worth the bother in my mind, it's apples and oranges

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

matlab can export to c tho

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i got a free chrome cast and i have no idea what i'm going to do with it. also the newest chrome cast has half as much storage as it does rams? weird.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

theflyingexecutive posted:

matlab can export to c tho

you can also run c from within matlab

i once had to write a thing that dropped to c, and within c dropped down to assembly :science:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

syscall girl posted:

his performance was great but i was getting a lot of ego fluff out of the line change

just leave it alone and face the fact that you'll get bleeped on the today show

seriously that's where i first saw/heard jc hurt and holy smokes that was surprising during breakfast

Notorious QIG posted:

if johnny cash wasnt such a devout christian id be upset at the poo poo->thorns change but the fact of the matter is that the word "thorns" there gives it extra impact for him that it wouldn't have had if he just said poo poo

my initial reaction was similar, but on further thought the coupling with "liars chair" makes it a brilliant self deflating jab, whether it was done intentionally or not

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

i got a free chrome cast and i have no idea what i'm going to do with it. also the newest chrome cast has half as much storage as it does rams? weird.

it only does streaming so it doesn't really need storage for anything other than the firmware

i really like the audio chromecast, the stereo i use for music doesn't have a tv attached to it so the chromecast is perfect for it (before i would just plug my phone into one of the line ins)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

forums seem to have just been blocked at work ack I've been owned

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bloody posted:

This is a sign from gode.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Bloody posted:

Only phonepost during office hours

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Mr. Glass posted:

it only does streaming so it doesn't really need storage for anything other than the firmware

i really like the audio chromecast, the stereo i use for music doesn't have a tv attached to it so the chromecast is perfect for it (before i would just plug my phone into one of the line ins)

ok that makes sense then. i thought you could like buy stuff from google play or whatever the gently caress they're calling it these days. maybe you can but it still streams it?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bloody posted:

they are blocked on a number of hotspots :rip:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fried garlic best condiment

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whew Jk it was just the Web filter hiccuping

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bloody posted:

whew Jk it was just the Web filter hiccuping

:(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
in other news angry orchard hop'n mad is quite good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerry Cotton posted:

i had never heard of this before, but it sounds like it could be awesome

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

ok that makes sense then. i thought you could like buy stuff from google play or whatever the gently caress they're calling it these days. maybe you can but it still streams it?

yeah. it's still streaming

lots of apps support it, so you can get your netflix, spotify, google play (obviously), hbo go/now on there, even podcast apps i think

only notable omission is amazon video

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

i had a pickled garlic clove in my salad today and it was v good

garlic owns

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah. it's still streaming

lots of apps support it, so you can get your netflix, spotify, google play (obviously), hbo go/now on there, even podcast apps i think

only notable omission is amazon video

i already have an Apple TV that does most of those. oh well. it might be interesting to play around with. or use if i ever get a second tv (i won't even get a second tv)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

c clothes s: the idea of wearing different colours of flannel every day seem like a good fashion choice at this point in my life :canada:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

prefect posted:

i had never heard of this before, but it sounds like it could be awesome

Also easy to make if you have an oven. And garlic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

i had a pickled garlic clove in my salad today and it was v good

garlic owns

It... yeah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Can't argue with garlic.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

lol if you dont

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

c clothes s: the idea of wearing different colours of flannel every day seem like a good fashion choice at this point in my life :canada:

Wear bright and colorful clothes

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like to think that the matlab dude is COOL but matlab itself definitely is NOT COOL

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
cls: lately i have begun to wonder if i have some sort of math learning disability. like i can look at a new concept (nothing complicated, ohms law for instance), feel like i understand it, try to use it a few minutes later and its like ive never seen it before. this has been a consistent pattern in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i seriously think i've gotten far in tech because i'm good at troubleshooting and i'm good at troubleshooting because i have to rediscover everything from first principles every single time because i'm an idiot with a bad memory

• Locked thread