Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Oracle posted:

Ex
Except he's limited by the speed at which the gun can fire.

Is he? He was able to use that injector, and make coffees for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

My Q-Face posted:

The lattes were made of goes fast.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Something to remember... Barry is a nerdling.

Dude is not some jock guy who MMA's on the weekends and walks around going BRO!. He's a guy who's power is literally "Can go fast, and sometimes can go fast enough to go through things without breaking them".

Of COURSE this idiot is going to run and try to punch someone in the face, because what the gently caress else experience does he have? As much as I'd love to see a scene where he just picks up a shitload of tennis balls or softballs and shotguns em at super speed at some other idiot villain, he doesn't think like that. He thinks "I am fast, therefore I will go and smack the gently caress outta that dude before he can blink!" and when he gets pimpslapped and flies through the air he has plenty of speed force time to reflect on how loving retarded that was, but he still hopes it will work next time cause that's his go to move.

Otherwise his power set is literally built up to just nope the gently caress right out of there. "poo poo, giant gorilla... see you guys later I'ma go to Cancun for a while"

Add into that the whole "people getting experience fighting a speedster" and yea, Barry is gonna get his rear end handed to him a lot. Remember how much crazily insane faster Wells was when his speed force was working? Barry has a long god damned way to go before he's comic book Flash. Right now he's like Flash: Year One.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A fight against atom smasher should be more like Barry runs in and punches him five times then immediately gets 30 get away, and sees Atom smasher is unaffected, says something like "well that's not going to work". Tries a speed trick like that whirlwind that atom smasher got through by growing, and when that fails he is winded for a second. And then, THAT is when atom smasher hits him hard and gains the upper hand as Flash doesn't have an opportunity to recover and has to escape.

Just running straight into a Haymaker is ridiculous.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

greatn posted:

A fight against atom smasher should be more like Barry runs in and punches him five times then immediately gets 30 get away, and sees Atom smasher is unaffected, says something like "well that's not going to work". Tries a speed trick like that whirlwind that atom smasher got through by growing, and when that fails he is winded for a second. And then, THAT is when atom smasher hits him hard and gains the upper hand as Flash doesn't have an opportunity to recover and has to escape.

Just running straight into a Haymaker is ridiculous.

Yeah there are lots of ways to play it, but "Barry runs at a guy and stands there long enough to get punched" is always going to be dumb. You can even do a lot of fights the same way, like you could have done the parking lot fight the same way except instead of having Barry get hit and KOed he could have just fallen back and gone "welp that's not working" at which point Joe tries Cisco's device. It doesn't change much narratively and the stakes are still high because this dude is still rampaging unstoppably, but you don't have a subset of the audience rolling their eyes.

Honestly it doesn't bother me that much, I have seen worse in other Flash media. But they could be a tad more clever about it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or another idea, he could try the mach punch and bounce off, injuring himself, demonstrating how tough the dude was.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd hope that as he progresses we will get more stuff like this.

The explanation that I came up with and is now canon in my head is that Barry is such a dweeb in real life that to throw a punch he has to think about it so hard it drops him out of super speed to try and figure out the hand-eye coordination, which makes him an easy target. And he panics when Cold points the gun, so he gets gunshy about turning on the super speed for a second.

This is now the law of the show.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also, thing to remember, Atom Smasher clocked him while he was still running in. Guessing he has fought speedsters (or at least ZOOM) before. Barry wasn't just standing there waiting to get hit, he was hauling rear end over when he got knocked rear end over teakettle.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Whizbang posted:

Eddie is a regular on ABC's sexy FBI agents show.

The guy who played un-altered Eobard only showed up in like 3 episodes tops, right? Zoom could be a stunt double voiced by Tony Todd, with Eddie showing up only right at the end.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Zoom is Ronnie. His movie career will be dead by the time they film the final 3 episodes of the season.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Zoom is Ronnie. His movie career will be dead by the time they film the final 3 episodes of the season.

Still can't believe he's going to be in the whole season of X-Files.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah there is. The show has explicitly shown him get tired and winded after using his speed.

Also, maybe it's a World of Cardboard thing.

"One day, Cisco and I did the math of what would happen if I punched somebody at super-speed. Force equals mass times acceleration, and I can produce a lot of acceleration. Turns out, if I punch somebody at even half of my maximum speed, they die."

But then again, this is also a show where spinning your arms super fast to suck all the air out of a burning building somehow doesn't explosively decompress all of the people sitting around.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Did the Flash team think that trapping Atom Smasher in the nuclear-overload chamber (or whatever it was called) would kill him? Or just stop him long enough to knock him out or get him to talk? On the other hand, they didn't seem too surprised or remorseful, or have a plan for what to do with him if they could capture him, so maybe I've answered my own question.

I'll bet that West and Cisco's metahuman task force will eventually be how they solve the metahuman prison problem.

The discussion about Flash being smarter about defeating his enemies reminded me of this clip, which is one of my favorite Flash moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJq2PAI-Fxc

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

This is the main problem with Arrow and Flash.

This is the main problem with most US network shows

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MacheteZombie posted:

Still can't believe he's going to be in the whole season of X-Files.

I read that he dies in the first episode.

ZOMG SPOILERS THAT PROBABLY AREN'T TRUE.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oracle posted:

Except he's limited by the speed at which the gun can fire.

Look at this guy who thinks Barry wouldn't carry like 10 guns

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

My Q-Face posted:

Technically? Going full-tilt sperg? The answer really is "Speed Force" in this case. Speedsters, at the apex of their ridiculous comic powers, can steal or lend "speed" to other things. Even coffee machines. He can literally increase the speed at which the coffee is created.

Obviously I doubt CW Barry knows this. He would've had to have done it unconsciously.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The dumb cubs won a postgame series at wrigley for the first time ever so I can't live post with y'all :mad:

(actually this is pretty exciting I am in wrigleyville and am gonna go out later)

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
loving cubs delaying Flash for me

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also the newscaster said "for those of you tuning in to look at the Flash" which made my wife and me laugh

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

"Bless your heart." Cisco I love you.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
What, not just 52 earths? *duck*

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Heavy water and multiverse confirmed :flashfap:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Man everybody quiting Joe's team is kind of sad.

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.
Return of no lunch gitmo.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Characters being charming in the background does a lot to make all this exposition palatable.

The whole thing with Zoom snatching rogues from the other universe reeks of bad plot device though. I want him to want something else. Villains who just want to kill the hero are the most boring kind of villains.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure the Anti- part of the name is really necessary.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The Flash Season 2 - Everyone is a Nerd.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Spergatory posted:

Characters being charming in the background does a lot to make all this exposition palatable.

The whole thing with Zoom snatching rogues from the other universe reeks of bad plot device though. I want him to want something else. Villains who just want to kill the hero are the most boring kind of villains.

I think there's potential it if the writers remember/consider that what Zoom wants and offers won't always necessarily align wth what the metahuman goon wants. For example, they may have an incredible power that could totally kick Barry's rear end, but they're a total pacifist and so have to be broken down into desperation before they'll fight. Alternatively, one might decide that Zoom's offer is pointless because they don't want to go home - or otherwise aren't bothered enough by the idea to go after Barry, instead trying to eke out a new life (of crime) in a city that doesn't yet know what they can do.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Science bro's are my favorite thing in the episode so far.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
She's going to be Zoom eventually, isn't she?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like Patty.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Since they're using evil versions of Earth-2 heroes, what are the odds that Jay is actually from Earth-3?

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Patty is cool. I definitely like Patty.

Also, with the whole multiverse thing, I'd sort of love it if Zoom eventually grabbed a meta that killed in season one and dropped their alternate Earth counterpart in- could be an interesting way to address some complaints people had about how murder-happy the writers were with some of the early bad guys.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Patty already more likable than Iris

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Well Zoom keeps bringing them to this world and telling them to kill The Flash. I wonder if they keep going after Barry because he's this world's Flash. Zoom could really just be bringing them over to take out Jay.

Also anyone else think this cop is trying way to hard to get on this task force?

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.
Patti is pretty likable, as is Jay. Barry has a case of the assholes so far tonight though.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

This is the earth 1 version isn't it?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Sieje posted:

Barry has a case of the assholes so far tonight though.

For good reason though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Whoa namedropping Blackgate.

• Locked thread