Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Hmm, a few kids have been acting up at my job. Truly a live in an era unique in all of history where the rearing of children has universally failed. This is a reasonable assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

please stop scheduling me for 5 hours and 45 minutes unless I have someone closing with me tia. You are making all the other employees hate me when I have to ask them to help me so I don't have to stick around for 45 minutes of lunches and breaks after closing time.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 14, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

princecoo posted:

Yeah, HR is right sorry. If you post poo poo about your job and they find out about it, they absolutely can make life poo poo for you. Even "liking" a facebook post someone else has made about a workplace you're employed at counts as if you'd posted it yourself.

Basically, never post about your workplace unless you're absolutely certain you won't get identified or sincerely don't give a poo poo about losing your job.

That said, whoever turned you in is kind of a huge dick. Guy who turned in grimcreaper, if you return to gather more evidence, please know you're an rear end in a top hat. Die in a freak grease fire. Thanks!

It turned out not to be bad. I was called in to sign some papers a few hours ago. Figured i was getting fired for the whole crap, but the HR Regional Managers response was basically "What you posted on the somethingawful.com forums is not actionable in any way. The only thing im going to ask of you is that you no longer use Kmart or Sears Holdings names in your posts and that you never release actual confidential information. We have also looked into the issue of your HR manager breaking company policy by giving out your name to people you have submitted formal complaints against. We see you did report it once officially to the HR District Manager and that he never reported the issue to me directly. I will continue to investigate that matter personally." And then he ended the call. I signed the paperwork stating i understood the Regional Managers decision, and went home. got payed for an entire hour to literally come in for 10 minutes to sign stuff. My HR manager looked quite pissed during the whole thing which made it awesome.

E: removing stuff.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 14, 2015

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

You are playing with fire my friend, I like it.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

It turned out not to be bad. I was called in to sign some papers a few hours ago. Figured i was getting fired for the whole crap, but the HR Regional Managers response was basically "What you posted on the somethingawful.com forums is not actionable in any way. The only thing im going to ask of you is that you no longer use Kmart or Sears Holdings names in your posts and that you never release actual confidential information. We have also looked into the issue of your HR manager breaking company policy by giving out your name to people you have submitted formal complaints against. We see you did report it once officially to the HR District Manager and that he never reported the issue to me directly. I will continue to investigate that matter personally." And then he ended the call. I signed the paperwork stating i understood the Regional Managers decision, and went home. got payed for an entire hour to literally come in for 10 minutes to sign stuff. My HR manager looked quite pissed during the whole thing which made it awesome.

Now to decide if im going to call out tonight, since shes working during my shift. Is it worth it to deal with her lovely attitude for 4 hours, or do i give myself 3 days off this week?

See now I personally would probably not post that the reason you're calling out is to spite the manager when they know your username here

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pumpy Dumper posted:

See now I personally would probably not post that the reason you're calling out is to spite the manager when they know your username here

Well, they cant argue the fact that i had a massive burst of diarrhea on my way out from the short meeting. The noises coming from my bathroom were... awful.. to say the least. The evening shift manager was in the break room grabbing stuff from his locker as i was heading out of the bathroom. He even asked "So.. uhhh... based on the noises... are you gonna be coming in tonight? That sounded pretty bad."

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper posted:

The only thing im going to ask of you is that you no longer use Kmart or Sears Holdings names in your posts

I'm going to say this as politely as I can muster..... Are you loving retarded or something doing the exact thing they asked you not to do immediately after?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm going to say this as politely as I can muster..... Are you loving retarded or something doing the exact thing they asked you not to do immediately after?

Pretty much. Its in context, and not confidential. If they use it against me, like i said, im not worried about things any more. The stress levels are beyond insane now with such reduced staff. Also, applications are out.

e: infos.

Ive been working at my store for 11 years. Theres a little bit of retard in that decision, no other explanation i can come up with.

I had never had problems until a little over 7 months ago when my then-manager became store director. Since his rise to power, the store has a palpable sense of "disgustingly hostile work environment" attached to it. We have lost more associates in this time than i usually see in a 2 year period (actual verified info with another manager) including seasonal temps. Several of our full timers have quit directly due to him and the way he treats people. These 3 all had 22-27 years under their belts. That says something about the situation now. He is more worried about getting himself ridiculous bonuses than he is about the actual store. For example, the staff budgeting crap. We are budgeted for 160 staff, and as of today, were at 113 (one of the electronics guys last day was today) all so our Store Director can get his yearly Budget Savings bonus of about $5,000. He intends to hire 7 people to round us out at 120. He is forcibly shorting us 40 people during holiday season for a bonus for himself.

So, do i care if im fired? Not anymore. If im let go, or quit, the company is required to pay out my vacation time, which is a hell of a lot more than i thought i had. Im sitting on nearly 250 hours worth. So at least ill get a nice leave bonus.

In the last 7 months, i have gone from a pretty happy employee, to an extremely bitter one.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 14, 2015

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Today I had a woman who could not seem to understand the concept of vegetables being priced per kilo. Yes the label says 75p but right next to it is /kg, it weighs over a kilo it costs more than 75p. No it's not misleading, the /kg is the same size as the rest of the label and right next to the 75p you keep pointing at.

She abandoned the rest of the shopping because I was helping another customer at the self scan rather than standing and listening to her complain for the third time.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Movie theaters are a great place for parents to just not give a fuuuuuuuuuck about their children. I have opened for parties for families, camps and groups as a floor employee and a manager. I have had to clean birthday cake off the walls and I have also had them clean the theater after their party and let us have the leftover food. On rare occasions, I've gotten a tip or a share of it. And private camps/schools or groups of aides with impaired/disabled guests are always great because they have order and they're always nice.

But when I'm talking about lovely kids I'm primarily talking about when parents just don't pay any loving mind to the children. I've watched kids almost crack their skulls ooen because they were tackling each other in the lobby at their friend's birthday party and the parents don't bat an eye. The worst I ever saw was a group of people and kids waiting in the lobby with their tickets, kids running around as the parents all talk in a cluster. An eight hear old boy just blows chunks on the rug and holds his stomach and they didn't do a drat thing. The parents watched him throw up and just let him stand there and dry heave over the carpet for a few minutes. Who the gently caress does that. I stared daggers at them the whole time I was cleaning up that kid's puke because the little guy is obviously nauseous but you're not even gonna drag him to the trash can right next to you at the very least?

I may not like children most of the time but I blame their parents as much as I blame the kids. At the very least make a loving effort to stop your child from running heas-first into a wall because he wants to chest-bump it.

Watching parents ignore kids is weird because I am never entirely sure if I should tell their kids to knock it off because if there's one thing I don't need, it's an excuse for a confrontation.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 14, 2015

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
I have an opportunity to interview for an assistant manager position with base pay off about 35k a year, plus benefits, bonuses and commission. But it would require leaving my piddly-rear end, below poverty line full time job, and because of that, I'm hesitating. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Hostile V posted:

Movie theaters are a great place for parents to just not give a fuuuuuuuuuck about their children. I have opened for parties for families, camps and groups as a floor employee and a manager. I have had to clean birthday cake off the walls and I have also had them clean the theater after their party and let us have the leftover food. On rare occasions, I've gotten a tip or a share of it. And private camps/schools or groups of aides with impaired/disabled guests are always great because they have order and they're always nice.

But when I'm talking about lovely kids I'm primarily talking about when parents just don't pay any loving mind to the children. I've watched kids almost crack their skulls ooen because they were tackling each other in the lobby at their friend's birthday party and the parents don't bat an eye. The worst I ever saw was a group of people and kids waiting in the lobby with their tickets, kids running around as the parents all talk in a cluster. An eight hear old boy just blows chunks on the rug and holds his stomach and they didn't do a drat thing. The parents watched him throw up and just let him stand there and dry heave over the carpet for a few minutes. Who the gently caress does that. I stared daggers at them the whole time I was cleaning up that kid's puke because the little guy is obviously nauseous but you're not even gonna drag him to the trash can right next to you at the very least?

I may not like children most of the time but I blame their parents as much as I blame the kids. At the very least make a loving effort to stop your child from running heas-first into a wall because he wants to chest-bump it.

Watching parents ignore kids is weird because I am never entirely sure if I should tell their kids to knock it off because if there's one thing I don't need, it's an excuse for a confrontation.

It's 100% the parents. Kids don't automatically know how they're acting isn't socially acceptable unless their parents tell them so. Like at my store, kids will 'shop' or whatever and the parents don't even make them put it back, they just stuff it under a clothing rack and move on. Ergo, the kid will just keep doing that since there is no negative consequence for that behavior. In your situation, those parents weren't making it clear to their kids that what they are doing isn't acceptable, so they don't even consider the fact that it may be wrong or annoying because the person who tells them what to do isn't saying anything.

And I just have to roll my eyes at anyone who acts like this is some strange social phenomenon with the current generation of parents. Literally every generation has people who are just poo poo parents, it's nothing unique.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

People who think that once they put a foot in the store you are required by law to wait on them are terrible, especially when closing. What is it that spawns that attitude? "I got past the door, now you have to re-open" has literally never worked, so why do people try it?

Had a customer last week who came in right before we closed, 8:58. They took a cart and started strolling along like we were open all night. As expected, two minutes later, the lights start to go dim and there's an announcement that we're closed. She looks at me and is completely confused. "Are you guys closed?"

"Yes, we just closed."

"Then why were the doors open?"

I just kind of looked at her for a moment. "Because we weren't closed when you entered. Now we are."

"But I just now walked in."

"Yes, and we just now closed."

"But the doors were open!"

I just told her I wasn't going to argue with her and left it at that. Go home. You don't need to buy anything a hardware store sells at 9 PM on a Tuesday.

I walked into the pet store at 7:03 pm when they closed at 7. The automatic doors were still working, but the cashier thought I had been hiding out.

I just needed cat food for my children, please don't hate me!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

In the last 7 months, i have gone from a pretty happy employee, to an extremely bitter one.

Retail! :smith::hf::smith:

Well today I got to meet a very lovely manager at a walmart. I came in to check over a gopro display to ensure its up to standards and functional. Apparently though this display had a 4 ft extension that wasn't built, when she called gopro they said a third party was going to do it. Well she insisted that it was me, and argued with me about it even after I called my offices and was told that gopro no longer contracts us to build the display. While talking with her another manager the whole time is constantly going "you could of built it in the time you spent talking", acting as if removal of what was already in the spot and adding gopro's white metal backers on the set then merchandising is something that can be done in 5 minutes. And that I can just force my company to pay me the extra time to build it.

Besides I didn't have the tools for that kind of work, I only brought what would be needed for maintenance just in case someone tries running off with my toolbag (it almost happened once) I'm not losing my more expensive tools.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I once saw a kid at a movie theater walk up to the restroom door while it was swinging open, and stick a finger in the crack next to the hinge. When it closed, it took his finger off. It was pretty cool.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I have a front end/checkout manager who is actually pretty decent - on a good day. I can see why she got the job.
Every other day, however, any time anything goes wrong, it's somebodies fault. Never hers, though.

Last week I was in charge of the self service area, and running low on bags. She had only ordered more bags the previous Friday, before a long weekend, so we were dangerously low on bags, with more stock expected to arrive that Friday.

I got her attention and asked if, when she got a moment, could she please get me some more bags (self service operators are not allowed to leave the self service area).

Then she gave me a big speech about how we were low on bags and we had to be more careful with how we used them, since we were nearly out and I had to be more responsible. I replied that "Yeah, I fully understand that. But that doesn't change the fact that I still need those bags". She got annoyed and called the store manager on me, who asked me what was up. I explained (I mean, if you want self service areas to be functioning, you're gonna need them to have bags.) and he was like "Eh, fair enough."

Then today she chewed me out because I was 3 minutes late to the front desk. I signed in on time, but grabbed some over the counter meds for my cold out of my locker before heading up to work. I explained I wasn't late, and in fact was early to work by 15 minutes, but since nobody opened the door for myself and the three other early staff before we opened (even though we were ringing the "let us the gently caress in" bell) I only got in literally as the front doors opened. She replied it wasn't her problem, since she wasn't in charge of opening the doors, and that I needed to be more organised.

Then later a customer bought phone credit at the self service area but the reciept printer jmmed, so I reprinted their reciept and told them to go to the front counter and the staff there would sort out a replacement for her (since re-prints XXXXXX out the authorization number for phone credits). So the manager comes to me and is like

"Did you reprint this reciept?"
"Yeah, the printer jammed."
"You know we cant' reprint phone credits."
"Yeah, I know. So I sent her up to you to get a replacement."
"But I need to know when it happens."
*confused look*
"We can't reprint phone credit and I need you to inform me as soon as it happens."
"Well she brought the reprint straight to you -"
(cutting in) "I would appreciate it if you'd let me know what was happening."
"Okay. This lady tried to buy phone credit but the printer jammed and she needs a replacement."

Jesus gently caress just do your job and stop bitching at me instead.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Murphys Law posted:

I worked at a Burger King in a mall when I was in high school. One night after close, our gate was most of the way down, not completely because we had to leave that way, but really only high enough that us kids could duck under it on the way out. Some guy walks up to the counter, rubbing his head where he bumped it on the gate he had to stoop under, asking if we were open. When you injure yourself trying to mission impossible your way into the place it's probably safe to assume they are closed.

You think that's bad? One night, about half an hour after close, long after our roller doors were shut, a lady started banging on the door till one of us got annoyed enough to see what she wanted:

"Are you guys closed?"

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

where i work, the customer service counter has two different registers (about 10 feet apart) and I'm tasked with checking out customers, answering phone calls, as well as taking returns when our dedicated returns area is closed (such as tonight).

so I'm dealing with a busy line, because I'm having to do all the returns—as well as a good majority of transactions from the people who'd apparently rather wait 5+ minutes in a line instead of going down to the barren land of Self Checkout, but i digress—and I decide to take a look to my right and randomly make eye contact with a gentleman at the front of a line that randomly appeared at the register next to me. he then takes this opportunity to go "are you supposed to be manning customer service too?" and i'm just like "yes/?? i'm customer service, but" and then i just gesture to the line in a very "dude there's a line right here" fashion because honestly i'm at a loss of words.

i'm not sure how people can get so angry at me for telling them to get in line with everyone else. oh, you were standing there for over ten minutes?? well sorry you saw an employee on a register with a lit sign above it and then decided to stand beside the empty register instead. why would you ever do that. why. wh.y. why. ,y.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Kickshaw posted:

I have an opportunity to interview for an assistant manager position with base pay off about 35k a year, plus benefits, bonuses and commission. But it would require leaving my piddly-rear end, below poverty line full time job, and because of that, I'm hesitating. What the gently caress is wrong with me?
Usually such a position requires 50 hours a week minimum + a lot more during busy holidays. If this is the case, 35k a year is not that great plus possibly more responsibilities may even make it a worse trade off. I don't know enough about your situation, so it's hard to comment, but the "plus benefits" and being above poverty line is a good enough sell for me to switch jobs. At the every least you might get some extra experience for potentially a better job somewhere else.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Today I had one of those days where everything goes right and happens like it was supposed to. It was a good day.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
We had one guy a while back who was hilariously inept.

Our company issues these customer reward cards that you scan at the checkout for (originally) fuel discounts (a couple of cents off per litre) if you spend $30 or more. A while ago they expanded the whole customer reward card to include discounts on certain products in-store. So now, when the new specials come out each week, you've got regular prices, special prices and rewards prices. Regular and Special are self explanatory, but rewards prices are full price, but are discounted up to 20% off if you scan your card at the checkout. So now if you're observant you can save a decent amount of money on your weekly shop, in theory. (In practice it seems like only the most obscure and worst selling stuff gets the rewards prices)

Anyway, on your receipt, if you buy something with this special, it reads something like:
| |
|Canned soup $1.00 ------ $0.80|
| REWARDS -$0.20 |
| |

On the checkout operators screen, at the end of the transaction when it tallys the whole amount up so the operator can say something like "That comes to 378 dollars and 67 cents" it also displays a "REWARDS SAVINGS" line, where it tallys up how much you've saved using the card, so the operator can say "Oh and look at that, your rewards card has saved you 12 cents!"

This space cadet was, for a whole week after this new system was introduced, seeing the savings line and then giving the customers that amount in cash, on top of their usual change.

For the first 2 weeks of the new system, by the way, in order to promote the whole thing, it was popular lines all the way, in bulk. So you've bought 10 cartons of soft drink at $16 a carton, but saved yourself 20% per carton? This dipshit will give you $32 cash after the transaction.

It took them a WEEK to catch on that something was wrong. Even then, they thought he was pocketing the money himself, but when they watched him, he wasn't, he was just conducting "normal" transactions and giving "change".

Eventually they asked him directly and he straight up told them what he was doing. He had no idea he was loving up.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

princecoo posted:

We had one guy a while back who was hilariously inept.

Our company issues these customer reward cards that you scan at the checkout for (originally) fuel discounts (a couple of cents off per litre) if you spend $30 or more. A while ago they expanded the whole customer reward card to include discounts on certain products in-store. So now, when the new specials come out each week, you've got regular prices, special prices and rewards prices. Regular and Special are self explanatory, but rewards prices are full price, but are discounted up to 20% off if you scan your card at the checkout. So now if you're observant you can save a decent amount of money on your weekly shop, in theory. (In practice it seems like only the most obscure and worst selling stuff gets the rewards prices)

Anyway, on your receipt, if you buy something with this special, it reads something like:
| |
|Canned soup $1.00 ------ $0.80|
| REWARDS -$0.20 |
| |

On the checkout operators screen, at the end of the transaction when it tallys the whole amount up so the operator can say something like "That comes to 378 dollars and 67 cents" it also displays a "REWARDS SAVINGS" line, where it tallys up how much you've saved using the card, so the operator can say "Oh and look at that, your rewards card has saved you 12 cents!"

This space cadet was, for a whole week after this new system was introduced, seeing the savings line and then giving the customers that amount in cash, on top of their usual change.

For the first 2 weeks of the new system, by the way, in order to promote the whole thing, it was popular lines all the way, in bulk. So you've bought 10 cartons of soft drink at $16 a carton, but saved yourself 20% per carton? This dipshit will give you $32 cash after the transaction.

It took them a WEEK to catch on that something was wrong. Even then, they thought he was pocketing the money himself, but when they watched him, he wasn't, he was just conducting "normal" transactions and giving "change".

Eventually they asked him directly and he straight up told them what he was doing. He had no idea he was loving up.

Please tell me he was fired immediately.

Also how does it go a whole week ? Wouldn't they see the error when they count the till at night?

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

The fuckers in the stockroom aren't putting everything up during their shift. They keep leaving multiple Z-racks of clothes and multiple bins of shoes for someone else to do so they can get out on time. And then the midshift people aren't putting it up, since they want to get out on time. And so it falls onto the people who close, since we can't leave till everything in the store is done. It's really annoying, because the few times I haven't closed this month and worked mid-shift, the guy on the sales floor, who is supposed to be putting poo poo up the whole time unless the cashier needs back up, just stands around at the front waiting for the line to get busy enough to get on a register, so all day nothing gets put up, or recovered, and is set aside for the closing shift to do.

Every time I manage to put it all up and recover the store before we close, but whatever manager is closing with me is always surprised I finished. "Wow you already put up everything in the stockroom?", etc. If the manages know that generally it wouldn't be possible to do all this poo poo within our time frame, why do they let it keep happening??? I feel like I keep getting sales floor just because I'm the only one who actually does my job when I get that position. Now it's too late to pretend like I suck at it :(

I'm also kinda annoyed because they promoted two people who were hired at the same time I was. I'm not annoyed at the people who got promoted, because they are the two people I consider actually good at their jobs, but my managers gave me the perception that we three were all on the same level of skill. Yet they never even talked to me about a promotion, why I wasn't considered or otherwise. I'm guessing it's because I don't have availability during the day most of the week, but I would have liked to be told that there were promotions available at the very least. Those two people also have been employee of the month too, while I haven't. If I suck really bad at my job my managers don't give me that impression, and if I do suck I wish they'd tell me so I could stop sucking. But again, I think it comes down to the fact that I always close and the head manager never ever closes anymore.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
What were they promoted to? Did their job duties change?

A lot of times, being too good at your current role makes you ineligible for promotions to anything better when you're in retail. Like you said, you realized too late you needed to pretend to suck.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Butyraceous posted:

It's 100% the parents. Kids don't automatically know how they're acting isn't socially acceptable unless their parents tell them so. Like at my store, kids will 'shop' or whatever and the parents don't even make them put it back, they just stuff it under a clothing rack and move on. Ergo, the kid will just keep doing that since there is no negative consequence for that behavior. In your situation, those parents weren't making it clear to their kids that what they are doing isn't acceptable, so they don't even consider the fact that it may be wrong or annoying because the person who tells them what to do isn't saying anything.

And I just have to roll my eyes at anyone who acts like this is some strange social phenomenon with the current generation of parents. Literally every generation has people who are just poo poo parents, it's nothing unique.

God, the parents that don't control their kids. I was grocery shopping once a few years ago and this little kid, 8-10(?), was pushing a cart up and down two aisles at a full sprint. You could hear the parts of the cart rattling against each other and the wheels skidding as he cornered too fast for the cart to turn on its own from who knows how far away. His first lap I was two aisles over from him but was sure at first I was about to get hit really hard from behind. I get to the end of the aisle and am heading over to the meat display along the back wall of the store when he tears around the corner, almost hitting me and another shopper before disappearing down the next aisle.

As I'm standing there at the meat display, hearing him round the far end and start heading back in my direction I briefly wonder what would happen if I were to turn the front of my cart just a little bit to the left so he hit it. Would it hurt him? Would it hurt me? Would his dipshit mother, whom he'd passed within a couple of feet of on each lap so you know she's aware of him, FINALLY do something about him...or more likely yell at me for hurting her innocent little angel who hadn't done anything wrong?

We'll never know. I settled on just glaring at him as he passed me. That was his last lap. I like to think it was my look that did it.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Please tell me he was fired immediately.

Also how does it go a whole week ? Wouldn't they see the error when they count the till at night?

hahahahahahaa nope!

And yeah, the discrepancy is picked up at close. I have no idea how it took them a week to notice. My theory is that the first couple of days it was out by under $10 because the front end managers seem to think that tills being out by that much either way is normal and therefore not worth worrying about. But then, like I said, after a few days the customers figured out where the really good deals were, and started taking advantage of them, which led to bigger savings and so he was giving them bigger cashbacks to the point where holy poo poo dude where is al your cash going?!

Not fired, retrained. I guess they felt sorry for the idiot? I don't know. Then he was moved to trolley collector, where he lasted a month more or so, then quit.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
We were already doing a lot more business than we were planned to do, when our new GM decided to do a fundraiser for the local suburban high school. I got to spend an entire rush + the insane amount of fundraiser people raising money for kids that are getting Mustangs for their 16th birthdays. And now since we've got good word of mouth, I went into work today to see the line stretching outside the drat building, with our umbrella fallen over and the screen completely full. It's really cool to see the store make my yearly wage in half a week while corporate shuffles around trying to find reasons not to give me a 50 cent raise. Now i'm just waiting until January so I can have a year of working at one place so I can move the gently caress on, man. I refuse to be the dude pulling 64 hour weeks, holy gently caress

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

A lot of times, being too good at your current role makes you ineligible for promotions to anything better when you're in retail. Like you said, you realized too late you needed to pretend to suck.

The position is called Manager on Duty PLUS, which is just a part time version of the regular MOD. It just means they can cover the mid manager position and they have manager numbers so they can do returns over 75 dollars without getting a manager to come up and they can also do a few other things with the registers that I can't. I don't know if it came with a pay raise but I kinda doubt it since we start at 9$ anyway.

It's not even like I care that I didn't get promoted, just that it doesn't seem like I was even considered in the first place despite being praised constantly.

But yeah you're right, because at first they were constantly having me on the cash registers but then after they put me on the sales floor I now only rarely get put there because *fart*

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
What's so great about being on register? At my work I'd much rather be on the floor, even if I have to put up with some bullshit everyday. Being a cashier sucks.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Jingleheimer posted:

What's so great about being on register? At my work I'd much rather be on the floor, even if I have to put up with some bullshit everyday. Being a cashier sucks.

Being "good" at register at my Walmart means you get a chance at moving to the Customer Service position which is what most of the late teens/low 20's kids are aspiring for. Well, that or electronics where all the cool workers hang out mill about ignoring all the site2store pages.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Jingleheimer posted:

I like being on the floor because I'm constantly doing something, but it really hits a goddamn nerve having to clean up after fully functioning adults literally every day. I'm sick of seeing clothes thrown over the rack, I'm sick of seeing poo poo in the wrong spot halfway across the store, or a huge pile of clothes stuffed into the back of a shelf like they're 12 and hiding a mess from a parent. It's just gross to me. At the register, you may get a few assholes, but you don't really personally see the process that customer went through to get to the register.

Ultimately though, I don't really mind it, it just kinda bothered me.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Does anyone else see a significant number of customers with those "Don't forget to activate your card!" stickers on their debit/credit cards? After we got the chip reader at the start of October, I've been looking at customers' cards to see if they have a chip so I can tell them to insert it instead of swiping, and I think a good 10% or more of them still have those stickers on them. Some of them look really worn, like they've had a card with a sticker that's supposed to be peeled off before use for years. How? It's like keeping the protective film you find on the bevel of new monitors for three years. :psyduck:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Our computer systems glitched out or something last week which resulted in no milk arriving last Thursday or Friday. Annoying, we were extremely low or completely out of milk to sell, but since the system was fixed, everything was going to return to normal.

Until some manager behind a desk in another state in a city saw our country town was out of milk, and decided to fix the problem.

Saturday morning saw us recieving 12 pallets of milk. Compared to our normal 2 - 3 pallets... that last us 3 or so days.

Also among the milk was flavoured stuff that isn't zoned for us - they don't scan. We have no way of adding them to the system either, since they shut that part of the system down months ago.

We sell Pauls 1 litre milk bottles. Maybe a crate (12 bottles) a day. If we're lucky. We recieved 90 crates.

There is so much milk. Milk. Milk. Milk. It's all just milk.

I think the backdock manager is going to take a long weekend just to travel the 900km to the fuckwad that did this and murder the poo poo out of him.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Today, I asked my boss if I qualify for health insurance as a full time employee, and she laughed and told me she doesn't even get health insurance. I am so sick of working full time hours for lovely pay and no benefits. To be honest, I'm sick of retail altogether, but have no clue how to get out. :(

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

klapman posted:

Now i'm just waiting until January so I can have a year of working at one place so I can move the gently caress on, man. I refuse to be the dude pulling 64 hour weeks, holy gently caress

No job worth having cares how long you spent in one retail location, so unless your end goal is to get hired on by some temp agency with a minimum requirement for time spent at a single job, any job, just leave as soon as you find something better.

Temp agencies are garbage, btw, temps don't get paid poo poo compared to the people they work alongside for the most part, and aren't generally eligible for benefits or vacation time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Closing talk: we get a ridiculous amount of people who think that the gift shops close an hour after the actual zoo grounds close to give them time to shop, even though if that were the case, they could just walk out our doors onto the grounds because we are small stand-alone buildings contained within the perimeters of the park and not separate entities. In reality, everything closes at the same time, even our store! So please leave!

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Just got a call from my department head wondering why I didn't show up today. Well I don't know, maybe the same Reason I worked Sunday even though that was a day off? You know, The exchange you gave me because I didn't want to work opening after working closing the previous night? Then he says that Monday was a part of the deal but I didn't find out I was supposed to work Monday until I came in on Wednesday. I tell him this and he says since I can't come in today I will be held accountable for missing Monday. If I get punished for this I am literally quitting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

This times a million.

The best advice I ever got was from a stoner in high school. We were working on the theater set and the sage advice went over me, because I was a straight A student and had always been taught that if I worked super hard, my work would be rewarded and I'd get whatever I deserved/wanted. His advice was a lot better than my parents', which was to do the average work and never ever make your best work, your Look At Me I Am Doing Awesome poo poo noticed. Because then it becomes your normal and they expect it EVERY TIME.

I was passed over for a great promotion and a shitstain got it, because if I was promoted, they'd have to hire two people to replace me. My boss said that like it was a compliment.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Well, my previous posts ended up doing a few things I wouldn't have expected. The HR regional manager was here until about an hour ago and talked to me privately. Said he wasn't happy with the posts from the other day but he's a little more perturbed by what I had said regarding turn over rates and general moral of associates in the store.

He said he was kinda just walking and talking to associates to gauge how things were and was not impressed with the things people had to say about things/people. Asked me if I would be willing to put my words to paper regarding the whole situation. I agreed to do it so we will see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

grimcreaper posted:

Well, my previous posts ended up doing a few things I wouldn't have expected. The HR regional manager was here until about an hour ago and talked to me privately. Said he wasn't happy with the posts from the other day but he's a little more perturbed by what I had said regarding turn over rates and general moral of associates in the store.

He said he was kinda just walking and talking to associates to gauge how things were and was not impressed with the things people had to say about things/people. Asked me if I would be willing to put my words to paper regarding the whole situation. I agreed to do it so we will see what happens.

Use the opportunity to bring mandatory unionization and turn the company into a workers soviet; hold a vote for company leader, run, and win; give yourself a pay rise and fire the people who dobbed you in.