Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But then why send others after Barry? If they do kill him he doesn't get that speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

XboxPants posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying. He wants to be the only Flash of any world. If that thing he did with his hand was stealing Jay's powers for himself, it'd explain a lot, not just about Jay, but about Zoom and his origins. I think he bounces around from world to world yanking speed juice for himself, possibly killing the original speedster.

Oh god I hope we don't get any Highlander poo poo. "There can be only one Flash and the Speed Force is all mine!" :fuckoff:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Aphrodite posted:

But then why send others after Barry? If they do kill him he doesn't get that speed.

I wonder if its something to do with Earth 1 itself.

Like, the current assumption floating about is that Zoom somehow stole Jay's speed, but I wonder if its something to do with Earth 1 that's done that - and Zoom has, somehow, figured out what that is, and so is trying to avoid being caught out by it. So rather than spend say, even five minutes racing around finding Barry, which could be all that's needed to lose his abilities (similar to how Thawne was able to retain some of his super speed long enough to fight alternate Barry, but quickly lost every ounce shortly thereafter), he'll just use a few seconds to toss in the occasional metahuman and try to get them to deal with it on his behalf.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He's sending scrubs, do you think either of the two sent so far had a chance?

Might not be just speed he steals but abilities and Barry can do some pretty cool things.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Aphrodite posted:

If this is a Savitar situation then killing him stops him from drawing on the Speed Force, leaving more Speed Force for Zoom.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah I guess that doesn't make sense. Just random spitballing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bad Moon posted:

I would assume when Wells took off after being discovered he wouldn't leave a piece of future tech lying around for his enemies

She'll just catch a glimpse of Jay's magnificent cock and melt, probably.

Quoted the wrong post. Was quoting a post worrying that when Caitlin becomes killer frost Barry will run around her in circles and she'll melt.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Hypocrisy posted:

Barry kinda sucks this season. Then he killed another dude.

On the other hand, Wells is back and that can only mean good things.

spiderman use to do all sorts of things to the Sandman but that dude kept coming back. The Sand Demon might be able to reform from a piece of himself or something and I kinda figured the Atom Smasher was maybe just shrunk down and comes back with the ability to change sizes better or something.

I guess I just don't want Barry Allen as a murderer, unless Zoom frames him for killing Iris because that would be cool

I would be down with good-guy Wells that Barry doesn't want to work with because he is use to Thawn

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying. He wants to be the only Flash of any world. If that thing he did with his hand was stealing Jay's powers for himself, it'd explain a lot, not just about Jay, but about Zoom and his origins. I think he bounces around from world to world yanking speed juice for himself, possibly killing the original speedster.

Zoom is Earth 2 version of Eobard who is also Earth 2 Wells.

I don't think that's true, but if it is, I'm done with the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No Luck Needed posted:

spiderman use to do all sorts of things to the Sandman but that dude kept coming back. The Sand Demon might be able to reform from a piece of himself or something and I kinda figured the Atom Smasher was maybe just shrunk down and comes back with the ability to change sizes better or something.

quick Cisco bring out the STAR labs vacuum cleaner!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Two Tone Shoes posted:

If this is a Savitar situation then killing him stops him from drawing on the Speed Force, leaving more Speed Force for Zoom.

While that's cool and all, if you're stuck on a planetary body and not cruising through space a la Silver Surfer or something, I don't think it matters whether you can go 1/2 light speed or 10x light speed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Drifter posted:

While that's cool and all, if you're stuck on a planetary body and not cruising through space a la Silver Surfer or something, I don't think it matters whether you can go 1/2 light speed or 10x light speed.

Oh come now, that's like saying it doesn't matter whether you have 1 billion dollars or 100 billion dollars. Greed is an end unto itself. :)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Two thoughts on dead villains, neither will happen.

1.) Zoom isn't sending a cavalcade of ne'er-do-wells all at once, he's sending them in one at a time, Power Rangers style. To get murdered by Barry.

And then he can hold a mock trial of the Flash for all the villains he's killed. Bonus points if, indeed, the villains are all actually alive anyway (Atom Smasher just passed out, Sand Demon regenerates from a little sand, etc but Barry thinks they're dead).

2.) A great time to point out how weird the villain killing is would be if Earth-2 Caitlin/Killer Frost shows up. Like, imagine Caitlin watching Barry kill an alternate reality version of Caitlin. Somebody on Team Science has to start getting uncomfortable at that point.

Unrelated, every time I hear or see the words Sand Demon, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure immediately pops into my head. The clock in Sand Dimas is always running.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Oh come now, that's like saying it doesn't matter whether you have 1 billion dollars or 100 billion dollars. Greed is an end unto itself. :)

It's not even that. It's like ... being able to arrive at a location 0.00000000657 seconds faster than the other guy.

yay(?) I guess?

*race race race running*
*ZOOOOOOOM*

"Hello, Flash. I've been waiting for you."
"...err. Uhhhh."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dude... Why do people haul rear end down the street to show up one car length ahead of you at a red light?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dude... Why do people haul rear end down the street to show up one car length ahead of you at a red light?

Sure, but I'm not gonna kill a guy to beat someone to a red light.

I was sick of Arrow by the end of last season. Is it good like it used to be this season?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 15, 2015

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Drifter posted:

I was sick of Arrow by the end of last season. Is it good like it used to be this season?

Yes, actually.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Opportunity cost - he may have missed the light this time but there are times he makes it and the gas cost is worth it to him :colbert:

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Lunatic Sledge posted:

2.) A great time to point out how weird the villain killing is would be if Earth-2 Caitlin/Killer Frost shows up. Like, imagine Caitlin watching Barry kill an alternate reality version of Caitlin. Somebody on Team Science has to start getting uncomfortable at that point.

That would make a great wtf moment.

Am I the only one that really didnt like Cisco this episode? Seemed like they were channeling Eddie Murphy for his humor.

Also Wally West is confirmed for the show right? He's a Flash. The Wests in the show are black (so i'm assuming he will be too). Zoom is kind of a Flash. And hes black...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Sure, but I'm not gonna kill a guy to beat someone to a red light.

Premier was pretty good. Neal McDonough is badass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

This is probably going to happen except I bet Barry can't kill her and they have to lock her up in Supermax so Caitlin can have conversations with herself about why she's evil in one world.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

Zoom is Earth 2 version of Eobard who is also Earth 2 Wells.

I don't think that's true, but if it is, I'm done with the show.

I want Wells 2 to be Harrison Wells who came from the past to take over Eobard's body, but he overdid it and now just looks like himself.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

greatn posted:

[Gideon will] just catch a glimpse of Jay's magnificent cock and melt, probably.

Quoted the wrong post.
No that's pretty great.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

This is the second or third time this guy has come up. What's his deal? I read the Wiki entry but is there more to it than "another bad guy who goes fast and wants to kill others who also go fast?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

This is probably going to happen except I bet Barry can't kill her and they have to lock her up in Supermax so Caitlin can have conversations with herself about why she's evil in one world.

It will be like that Buffy episode with Willow and Evil Vampire Willow, uptight nerdy girl meets her evil sexy counterpart!

I really really hope Zoom is someone other than other universe Wells, it just seems like lazy writing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

It will be like that Buffy episode with Willow and Evil Vampire Willow, uptight nerdy girl meets her evil sexy counterpart!

Well that was a pretty great episode.

twistedmentat posted:

I really really hope Zoom is someone other than other universe Wells, it just seems like lazy writing.

My money is on the Writers haven't decided who's actually in the suit yet but it's probably an Evil Barry. Or Other Barry as we will without a shred of doubt refer to him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

My money is on the Writers haven't decided who's actually in the suit yet but it's probably an Evil Barry. Or Other Barry as we will without a shred of doubt refer to him.

I hate this idea, but I'd be satisfied if Alt-Barry is evil because he grew up with his still living alt -mom and -dad.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

No that's pretty great.

This is the second or third time this guy has come up. What's his deal? I read the Wiki entry but is there more to it than "another bad guy who goes fast and wants to kill others who also go fast?"

Basically his whole plot idea is that there's only so much speed force, and if he kills all the speedsters in the world he becomes the fastest. He sucks up the speed force from speedsters and then kills em. Runs a cult and gives speed force boosts up to his bodyguards/cult followers.

Worships the speed force as his religion. Dude's basically a nutjob who runs fast and kills people to make himself run faster.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Basically his whole plot idea is that there's only so much speed force, and if he kills all the speedsters in the world he becomes the fastest. He sucks up the speed force from speedsters and then kills em. Runs a cult and gives speed force boosts up to his bodyguards/cult followers.

Worships the speed force as his religion. Dude's basically a nutjob who runs fast and kills people to make himself run faster.

I'm sure it was really dumb in the comics, but your cliff's notes version here sounds like it could be pretty drat cool.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Error 404 posted:

I'm sure it was really dumb in the comics, but your cliff's notes version here sounds like it could be pretty drat cool.

It was actually a really really great comic and maybe the best take on "Evil Speedster" ever (imo). He was only in the one story so he's pretty much self contained and a one off awesome villain with a cool backstory and motives.

Drifter posted:

The Speed Force is actually about more than running fast, that's kind of a big deal in Savitar's arc, showing Wally how stupid he is and how little he understands what the Speed Force is. It's a lot bigger and more comics crazy than that. It connects to all knowledge in the multiverse (it is literally the embodiment of time, past, present, and future). Savitar's goal was eliminating other Speedsters, taking their power, and taking control of the Speed Force through this powerup to become a god.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 15, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since then they've retconned that Barry Allen fuels the Speed Force (and always has) so Savitar probably wouldn't work the same way today.

(Plus Barry killed him anyway.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah he does that s lot.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Since then they've retconned that Barry Allen fuels the Speed Force (and always has) so Savitar probably wouldn't work the same way today.

(Plus Barry killed him anyway.)

Since then they've double retconned that so that Barry no longer fuels the speed force. That was a dumb decision that lasted all of a year before they threw the idea away in the reboot. Probably because it made no sense and was awful.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Since then they've double retconned that so that Barry no longer fuels the speed force. That was a dumb decision that lasted all of a year before they threw the idea away in the reboot. Probably because it made no sense and was awful.

Creating the speed force was Mark Waid's way of moving Wally out of Barry's shadow and giving him something special to make him the "most important" Flash, so of course Geoff Johns needed to top that by making Barry the entire source of the speed force.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This article makes a really good point and I'm not sure why this doesn't get brought up more.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

This article makes a really good point and I'm not sure why this doesn't get brought up more.

I honestly kind of figured it was brought up on Cisco's blog at some point just like the prison thing, but it's hosed up if they just never addressed it at all

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

zoux posted:

...Not sure if linked in earnest or to troll, but to honestly answer either way:

Who travels several hours just to eat, and then spends several hours travelling back?

Because that's what it'd be like, even with Barry's speed.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

zoux posted:

Wally did this in an episode of Teen Titans.

edit: actually I think he brought back a croissant or something just to mock somebody he was talking to but it owned really hard because the whole episode was just him being a huge rear end in a top hat to the bad guy team

Hazo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 15, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

zoux posted:

I'm surprised the show doesn't have him running to New York for bagels or pizza for the gang, to Philadelphia for cheese steaks and so on as a bit of comedy just because he can. If you have the power to do stuff like that, why wouldn't you? Doesn't even always have to be food, he could be running to Chicago for a lecture or Los Angeles for a stand up show or something too. Just having him enjoy the freedom that kind of power can grant to make the world smaller basically. If he can cover a mile a second or more (which seems reasonable given some of the stuff the show has done) he could run anywhere in the US in under an hour I think. Which might not be worth it for food, but could be worth it for a good show or to escape a lovely day and enjoy some sunshine or what have you, so long as the act doesn't leave him physically drained. Which it doesn't seem to in most cases.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Creating the speed force was Mark Waid's way of moving Wally out of Barry's shadow and giving him something special to make him the "most important" Flash, so of course Geoff Johns needed to top that by making Barry the entire source of the speed force.

Creating the Speed Force was Waid's excuse to bring Jay, Jesse, Johnny, and Max into the book because he was a huge nerd for classic characters and wanted to make a speedster family all connected by their mutually similar powers having a single source. Everything else after that was just a happy and dorky incidental followup. He's often said if he knew the Speed Force was gonna get so big and mystical and crazy he would've given it a way better name. He moved Wally out of Barry's shadow in The Return of Barry Allen, which happened before the words "Speed Force" were ever uttered together.

I can't speak much for Geoff Johns, but if that was his intention he nailed it. I can't count the number of times I've seen some review or article or video or whatever talk about how Barry's so cool because he IS the Speed Force and blah blah. But gosh it was just the absolute worst retcon.

Hazo posted:

Wally did this in an episode of Teen Titans.

edit: actually I think he brought back a croissant or something just to mock somebody he was talking to but it owned really hard because the whole episode was just him being a huge rear end in a top hat to the bad guy team

Wally as a kid's whole schitck is basically "Kind of a jerk because of his stupid powers but well meaning and funny about it." It'd be nice if they kept some of that in the character instead of what interviews have suggested.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's a Clickhole article guys, a site run by the Onion as a parody of clickbait sites.

• Locked thread