Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Snakes in a can posted:

Just got my first #fuckgoons

Said games already ruined thanks to him and never got anything back.

he was in my clan on wot and is an insufferable tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jack_tripper posted:

he was in my clan on wot and is an insufferable tool

Did he just not know, or...?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Ambaire posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet, but is the Begleitpanzer 57 completely OP or is it just me? Sure, it's a squishy light tank, but it has a gun that can do 12,000 dpm... 209 damage @ 67.5 rounds per minute... I suppose the caveat is it only has 140 pen, so sides and backs only.

They are my most hated encounters in mid-tier PvE when I'm not in an MBT as they can really ruin your day. In PvP they don't seem to be that much of a Problem, I don't know what it is, but I guess it's the players using them a lot more carfully and less suicidal and therefore rarely employing the full damage potential. At least on the EU servers I haven't had any memorable encounters with them in PvP. Still want to get one because I can see a lot of potential in that little bugger.

Ambaire posted:

Edit2: Also, I think that view ranges in this game are absurdly short for a 'modern' tank game. I was just on the highway earlier and I could easily see traffic moving off an exit from a sign saying it was over a mile distant. That's at least 1500 meters. On the open sand/city/etc maps I think you should easily have 1km visibility. And for the airport map, why can't I see a tank moving across the runway 1km away? That's nothing.

It's not a sim, it's an abstract arcade game. Otherwise MBTs would be just better in almost everything compared to the lighter, cheaper vehicles. They would often be just as fast or faster off-road, they would have similar or better sensors and they would be able to fire faster and more accurate on average. And yes, you'd be fighting at far longer ranges, but the compressed ranges and increased off-road performance allows for a faster and more dynamic combat, longer ranges would also need larger maps which in turn would also slow down the whole game and make a lot of your typical WoT/AW tactics a lot harder to pull off. For example a flanking maneuvre suddenly is not a thing of a few seconds or half a minute, but something you have to dedicate almost as much time into as some AW matches last with far more risk attached as the layout of the enemy frontline will change a lot more during your advance.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

:siren:Just FYI there is a damage log hidden in the UI menu:siren:

to enable it you go to setting > UI then click hit details

then untick the boxes

when in game you can move the boxes around by holding the CTRL key then drag them around with your mouse till you find a spot for them

they tell you what type of tank hit you with what type of round but not who and how many shots you put into the enemy tank for X damage over Y shots.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Just got four iron stars in a row trying to get the double on my Chieftain.

:negative:

i give up

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Feindfeuer posted:

I think people are well aware of what you suggest, but still deem it to generous. Instead of turning an average match into two average matches you give everyone the ability to save it for a great game. So instead of the 2x battle beeing an actual 2x, it turns into a 4x or 6x compared to the actual average income. Still I doubt anyone here would really oppose this, but everyone just realize that this is too much of a reduction to the grind to be ever implemented by any F2P publisher.

It sounds like something that makes sense, actually, given that AW emphasizes performance over outright wins. If you are rewarded for doing extremely well on a loss, why not make that your daily?

Stringbean posted:

I think he was referring to the whole CHAI and GOON clan tags. He wants pubbies to be angry over the fact that they got shat on by goons not the dudes who took another clans tag... Or something

The thing is, with no CW, the clans themselves aren't actually useful. They only serve as identifiers with no inherent bonus, so if the only other thing we can do with them is troll dumb Chinese pubbies, then gently caress it, why not?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Do XP reward increase a lot as you climb up tiers ?
540k XP for tier 8 is a lot and I can't imagine a grinding a milion XP for tier 9 at 1000xp/game on average.

XP seems very damage related and everything get more HP with tiers so maybe ?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Krogort posted:

540k XP for tier 8 is a lot and I can't imagine a grinding a milion XP for tier 9 at 1000xp/game on average.

You do get quite a bit more XP at higher tiers because yes, there is much more damage to be dealt.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress me. Am I really so bad at this game that my mere presence on a team literally makes it twice as likely to lose as win? I waited for a sample size of 100 because a 2/11 win rate could just be lovely luck, but now I've got almost 100 PvP battles played and a Win Rate of 34%. Is it because I never poopsocked two thousand hours into WoT so I don't even know the basic poo poo I should know to avoid being literally the worst loving pubbie?

It feels like I either play too conservatively and thus contribute nothing, or I try not to be a camping noob and I die (and thus contribute nothing). I probably need some kind of video guide that shows higher level strategy in the game. Stuff like "On this kind of map go here, when you have this kind of vehicle look for terrain like this, when you see the players on the minimap doing this then do that." Is there anything like that yet?

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

Krogort posted:

Yes, experience increases as you grind up the lines, usually by quite a bit in the higher tiers.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psawhn posted:

gently caress me. Am I really so bad at this game that my mere presence on a team literally makes it twice as likely to lose as win? I waited for a sample size of 100 because a 2/11 win rate could just be lovely luck, but now I've got almost 100 PvP battles played and a Win Rate of 34%. Is it because I never poopsocked two thousand hours into WoT so I don't even know the basic poo poo I should know to avoid being literally the worst loving pubbie?

It feels like I either play too conservatively and thus contribute nothing, or I try not to be a camping noob and I die (and thus contribute nothing). I probably need some kind of video guide that shows higher level strategy in the game. Stuff like "On this kind of map go here, when you have this kind of vehicle look for terrain like this, when you see the players on the minimap doing this then do that." Is there anything like that yet?

A huge part of being good at this game is map knowledge and knowing where to shoot tanks with what ammo types. You're not going to get that in 100 battles, which, by the way, isn't a high enough sample size to know if you're good at any one tank let alone the game in general.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I played a PvE map as artillery. Everyone but myself and a Chieftain died. Apparently I'm a 'Pro tank noob' for not offering to drive in to the cap so I could spot for the MBT... Same guy also told me to delete the game because I didn't know how to play.

The M109 is pretty fun. I'd never played arty in WoT so didn't know what to expect. I have as much fun playing the artillery as a LAV and most of the other players seem to be decent.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Fall Dog posted:

I played a PvE map as artillery. Everyone but myself and a Chieftain died. Apparently I'm a 'Pro tank noob' for not offering to drive in to the cap so I could spot for the MBT... Same guy also told me to delete the game because I didn't know how to play.

The M109 is pretty fun. I'd never played arty in WoT so didn't know what to expect. I have as much fun playing the artillery as a LAV and most of the other players seem to be decent.

Arty in PVE is best left to missions where you need to defend cap points.

You could basically play those missions solo with arty.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

RoyalScion posted:

Apparently the devs haven't sorted out the issue where buying collectors on NA somehow dumps it on EU :psyduck:

When you bought the founder's packs, you got them on both the EU and NA servers. I'm guessing that the collector's edition problem is somehow related to loving up the change from buying packs for both servers to just one. Good to see that WG aren't the only ones who gently caress things up a lot!

Stairmaster posted:

are russian hacks actually real?

Only in the pubbie mind.

In other news, just drove the Starshit. The HEAT round I'm currently using has a damage range of 384-520. I shot a BgltPz57 for....273 damage. It looked like I hit his side, but I guess it might've been a turret hit?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Valle posted:

When you bought the founder's packs, you got them on both the EU and NA servers. I'm guessing that the collector's edition problem is somehow related to loving up the change from buying packs for both servers to just one. Good to see that WG aren't the only ones who gently caress things up a lot!

Only in the pubbie mind.

In other news, just drove the Starshit. The HEAT round I'm currently using has a damage range of 384-520. I shot a BgltPz57 for....273 damage. It looked like I hit his side, but I guess it might've been a turret hit?

The turret in the BgltPz57 is unmanned, thus you will do reduced HP damage on it.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

There's also this:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What is overmatching, anyway? Penetration with excessive force?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I'm treating overmatch as an indicator that I probably should fire HEAT and do more damage at whatever point I was aiming at (unless it's going through ERA or something similar)

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.
I heard they were adjusting some things with overmatching. They were also talking about buffing the credits in PvE too right?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Siivola posted:

What is overmatching, anyway? Penetration with excessive force?

It means your AP shell flies directly through a tank without really stopping and causing any damage due to fragmentation.

brodoyouevengif posted:

I heard they were adjusting some things with overmatching. They were also talking about buffing the credits in PvE too right?

They already did that at Open Beta start. But they will maybe do it again, yeah. The Credits rewards are a bit meh for PVE at the moment. XP is fine. You can get consitently more XP in PVE than in PVP. Unless you are some PVP god.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Here's my last game in the Dragoon - which unlocked the LAV-300

It was nice for the red team to just kinda sit out in the open while I slung AP into their faces all day. Also the LAV straight out of the box isn't too bad really. It's no Dragoon with AP, but I managed to do 2.5k+ in my first game with it's HEAT ammo. I'm surprised there aren't more people playing TDs. Is it the wheels that deter people?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Michaellaneous posted:

It means your AP shell flies directly through a tank without really stopping and causing any damage due to fragmentation.

They already did that at Open Beta start. But they will maybe do it again, yeah. The Credits rewards are a bit meh for PVE at the moment. XP is fine. You can get consitently more XP in PVE than in PVP. Unless you are some PVP god.

Yeah, if I get the repair kit for the chief and sue it during a PVE match that usually halves or takes a third outta the paycheck.
PVE cash needs to be seriously boosted because there is no way you're getting enough cash to buy anything that way.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Stringbean posted:

Here's my last game in the Dragoon - which unlocked the LAV-300

It was nice for the red team to just kinda sit out in the open while I slung AP into their faces all day. Also the LAV straight out of the box isn't too bad really. It's no Dragoon with AP, but I managed to do 2.5k+ in my first game with it's HEAT ammo. I'm surprised there aren't more people playing TDs. Is it the wheels that deter people?

Can you give some tips for playing the LAV with HEAT? I love my Dragoon but I feel useless with the LAV and no AP shells.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Spaseman posted:

Can you give some tips for playing the LAV with HEAT? I love my Dragoon but I feel useless with the LAV and no AP shells.

Don't shoot heavy tanks from the front.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Preliminary 0.95 Patchnotes posted:

PvE
Since PvE does not benefit from the repair cost and ammo cost changes, we are giving PvE a significant overall boost to credit income. We are also globally increasing PvE reputation gains.
Increased all PvE Reputation gains by 20%
Increased PvE credit gains by 35% at all tiers

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh! I guess I really should start packing HEAT, then, at least until the patch that fixes the damage reduction for it.

Stringbean posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more people playing TDs. Is it the wheels that deter people?
I found the initial grind to the Dragoon pretty miserable, it was the last thing I managed to unlock in Wölfli's inventory. And yeah, the wheels made it feel kinda ungainly after I'd spent so long doing donuts in the BMP.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Siivola posted:

Oh! I guess I really should start packing HEAT, then, at least until the patch that fixes the damage reduction for it.

I found the initial grind to the Dragoon pretty miserable, it was the last thing I managed to unlock in Wölfli's inventory. And yeah, the wheels made it feel kinda ungainly after I'd spent so long doing donuts in the BMP.

The BMP lines ends as light vehicle killer while the TD stays like they start the whole time. Fast firing, accurate, high damage.

Generally speaking you should almost always shoot HEAT, even at later tiers. ERA can only stop HEAT a few times. Most light vehicles don't even have ERA to begin with. And neither the armor to withstand the penetration values.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, the Dragoon's good fun and I love it. I just think the grind to it is a bit of a slog and the wheels can be a culture shock, which is why I think so few people drive it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Spaseman posted:

I was going to make a huge write up on each tank you'll be facing. Because really without AP, you really have to take the time to learn the weak spots on each tank. But like any tank, its also all about positioning and finding a spot that wont get you lit up where you can rain hell down on the opposing team.

What I've found so far, is that even if a tank is (attempting) a side scrap, you can send HEAT into their tracks - 4 outta 5 times I've done substantial damage to a tank that way. Whats more marvelous is that pubbies love to peek and poke - If you haven't been spotted, just punish the dumbasses.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I don't memorize weakpoints beyond 'lower plates' because as far as I can tell 90% of the time the RNG is going to make it so you aren't precise enough to pinpoint small weakpoints reliably anyways, so just flank people and shoot them that way

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Shoot tanks in the butt butt is all I need to know.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Official 0.95 patchnotes: http://aw.my.com/us/news/general/introducing-update-095

Still can't get over how, instead of nerfing credits and XP gains like Wargaming would have, they're just increasing everything to make it more in line with the over-performing gains.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

At this point all I want is Obsidian to give me more premium tanks or packages that I can buy because.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Krogort posted:

Not by a huge amount, no. Tier 7 and up is a serious slog where individual upgrades go for 20-50 000 xp, or 15-40 avg premium matches. Less If you are only doing fantastic dailies I guess.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Do you keep making money at high tiers at least?

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Krogort posted:

The higher you go, the better the rewards, yeah. The base is based on damage/spotting/etc numbers that get bigger at higher tiers, and also there is a tier multiplier that gets bigger as you go up. The really big numbers at the high end of the tech tree aren't quite as scary as they look.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Finally reached the m1a1 yesterday, still kicks rear end. Xm1 and M1 still godly, expecting a nerf.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
How's the FV721? Having mostly hosed around with the RaketenPanzer I Ausf. C and 13-90 in that other tanks game the Fox seems like the funnest go-fast kart available.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

The BMP lines ends as light vehicle killer while the TD stays like they start the whole time. Fast firing, accurate, high damage.

What do the BMP line has over the BMD ?
And why does the BMD line end with the BMPT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Krogort posted:

What do the BMP line has over the BMD ?
And why does the BMD line end with the BMPT.

No he's saying both lines are deceptive because they start with big, tank-killing guns but after a tier or two lose those in favor of dumb autocannons and ATGMs. The TDs however always get big guns.

• Locked thread