Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
edit: never mind, i'm an idiot.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Dramicus posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

DO NOT SPEND FREE EXP ON MODULES

APPLY THE EXP TO THE PROGRESS OF THE TANK AND YOU GET IT TO SPEND ON MODULES ANYWAY

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Basically if you spend the rep on modules, you burn that free exp on only the module, if you click on the exp bar and dump the rep into the tank, you get progress to the next tank AND you can still spend it on modules.

This is incorrect, spending XP on modules also increases the progress bar.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Do any of the retrofits for firepower effect missiles? Just wnt to make my terminator a bigger rape machine. Heck recommend what retro fits to put on for everything.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I like the normalization for firepower retrofits. It says it reduces the angle of impact, which sounds to me like it reduces slope, which means more forgiving aiming.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I like the normalization for firepower retrofits. It says it reduces the angle of impact, which sounds to me like it reduces slope, which means more forgiving aiming.

Yeah I think it basically works out to be a penetration increase with AP (and maybe HEAT? Anyone know how HEAT reacts w/r/t normalization and armor angles in general?).

e: vvv ah, I assumed that was the case but I didn't check.

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 16, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

YellerBill posted:

Yeah I think it basically works out to be a penetration increase with AP (and maybe HEAT? Anyone know how HEAT reacts w/r/t normalization and armor angles in general?).

Pretty sure the equipment item says it only work for AP rounds.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Why is the Chieftain such a squishy piece of poo poo? In PvE the AI always pens your front no matter what's shooting at you or how you're angled.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Ambaire posted:

Why is the Chieftain such a squishy piece of poo poo? In PvE the AI always pens your front no matter what's shooting at you or how you're angled.

because you only have 115mm of front hull armor.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

because you only have 115mm of front hull armor.

This. Chieftain is a hull-down-only tank pretty much.

Gonna probably not play as intensely til the economy patch hits. Hopefully its loving soon :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 16, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Tier 5-6 are not in a great place right now. XM1s are all over the place and a total joke to fight, and everything seems to be focused on MBTs.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Getting 12 degrees of gun depression on the ERC-90 is such a treat after having to deal with the LAV-300s non-existent gun depression.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

cheese posted:

Tier 5-6 are not in a great place right now. XM1s are all over the place and a total joke to fight, and everything seems to be focused on MBTs.

Yeah, tier 4 feels like the best place right now. The power difference between t6 and t7 is rather high.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Nevermind getting t7 in your t5, Master Chef vs half a team of mbt-70 and some XM1 on top :shepicide:

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream
Today has been incredibly bad regarding PvE for some reason. A good 80% of games i've played, we lost. Didn't matter if it was Rank 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 and neither did it matter if it was Medium or Hard. An incredible amount of people just went YOLO or Lone Wolf and died within the first 3 minutes of the match. This might be compounded by an absolutely drunk MM tonight, but drat people! I especially love it when certain people start raging and blaming everybody but themselves...

Cannot carry any more...

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

PenguinScotty posted:

I especially love it when certain people start raging and blaming everybody but themselves...

Certain people? I think about 25% fits the raging bit, and 95% blaming everybody but themselves.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Have we heard anything about how the full Brit mbt line is supposed to look? A little curious it just skips most holes without showing greyed out tanks or anything.
Could be interesting to have 2 mbts sharing the same tier, like a very late Centurion and an early Chieftain. I figure they could easily have centurions cover rank 2-5, and Chiefs for rank 5-6.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

PenguinScotty posted:

Today has been incredibly bad regarding PvE for some reason.

Same here. Usually I count on the PvE for quick daily doubles and usually win the first time.
Tonight I lost 5-6 in a row on hard, then 3 staight on medium before calling it a night.

Never did get my goddamn daily doubles.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What happened to the battles where everybody is the same tier that were there on the first two days? Did they change how the matchmaker works? Now it's tier 3 premiums stomping all over tier 2 games and getting shot though the front turret for more than half my health at once by tier 4 tanks in my T-62.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ive notice during AU prime time the population drops by a bit and if you may have more matches where there will be higher tier tanks. Only seems to happen with tier 5-6 for me. 1-4 has been pretty solid.

I do think they made PVE harder after last weeks patch. I am barley surviving half my matches now on medium.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

What happened to the battles where everybody is the same tier that were there on the first two days? Did they change how the matchmaker works? Now it's tier 3 premiums stomping all over tier 2 games and getting shot though the front turret for more than half my health at once by tier 4 tanks in my T-62.

I saw you on EU earlier, think you were just on too early and there weren't enough people on for the MM to do that. Played 1hr after your post and it was the usual everybody is same tier thing going on.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

loving PVE keeps putting my starship in tier 6 games and loving lol if you come up against anything in the starship, hope you brought plenty of HE since everything has APS.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Game no.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Michaellaneous posted:

The Zalo is a good premium tank and looks pretty dopey. So is the TD AMX version tho'. You should give it a shot. The amount of damage it can put out with heat is insane.

yea i know the amx is even more broken. 4k dpm with AP :black101: If you want a premium, you should just buy this one, they are like less than 15 US and just plain dumb OP.

Pimpmust posted:

Have we heard anything about how the full Brit mbt line is supposed to look? A little curious it just skips most holes without showing greyed out tanks or anything.
Could be interesting to have 2 mbts sharing the same tier, like a very late Centurion and an early Chieftain. I figure they could easily have centurions cover rank 2-5, and Chiefs for rank 5-6.

Brit line is garbage, the C1 is semi alright though. chieftain and chally are rather crap, very poor AP pen and no HEAT rounds. you do get HESH though. :pwn:

Raged posted:

Ive notice during AU prime time the population drops by a bit and if you may have more matches where there will be higher tier tanks. Only seems to happen with tier 5-6 for me. 1-4 has been pretty solid.

I do think they made PVE harder after last weeks patch. I am barley surviving half my matches now on medium.

If you're playing during AU primetime add me, always need more people to play with. Kuxai

Pubbies make me want to commit sedoku.

Snakes in a can fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 16, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I had the game spawn me like that in a pvp match last night. Wish I'd thought to get a picture.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

I had the game spawn me like that in a pvp match last night. Wish I'd thought to get a picture.

No worries I have a shovel on there.
Seriously tho gently caress MBT. I go through my list and its all cool tanks except those stupid MBTs. Blargh.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

So after playing 100 or so games and coming in at a whopping 47% win rate, I have the following thoughts on this game.

1) Game is good.
2) Game is fun.
3) My win rate is way lower than I thought.
4) I don't care about point 3 (see points 1 and 2)

Seriously, it's just fun. gently caress winning, I can actually put up a hell of a losing battle and have more fun than a win. And actually get rewarded for it. Running battles in scouts, crazy snap-shots halfway across the map magically landing on target, and killing 3 of the 4 remaining enemy tanks as they try to murder you is more satisfying than most of my wins.

The vehicles are also lots of fun, though quite a few need some reworking for balance/bugs (looking at you, t-72 and XM-1). Scouts feel like scouts, including being able to scream "oh poo poo" when you get spotted and desperately scrambling to get your 2-shottable rear end out of dodge, which is awesome. Missiles add some spice to a 'genre' that previously only had variations on "shoot man with gun of various sizes."

Standouts:

Expeditionary tank and BMPT

VFM 5

BMP/BMD series

Everything at tier 4 except the starship, gently caress the starship

Chieftain when you're allowed to play defensively in a hull down position

BMPT again :perfect:

Issues:

Balance issues with some tanks, looks like obsidian is actually working on it.

Spotting seems iffy and overly sensitive, and map sizes are too small for the view ranges we have.

Lots of problems with the maps actually. They need lots of attention just to fix the glaring bugs and hit detection.

Pubbies are here too, and they still think they're playing world of tanks. Which they also don't understand. Obsidian is doing a good job so far of actually ignoring their complaints though, which is good since they can't seem to decide whether MBTs are OP and can't be killed with their AFV or AFVs are OP and can't be killed with their MBT.

Some things with the net code need work, and server crosshairs would be a huge help.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Snakes in a can posted:

Brit line is garbage, the C1 is semi alright though. chieftain and chally are rather crap, very poor AP pen and no HEAT rounds. you do get HESH though. :pwn:

The line is obviously unfinished and I do wish they'd fix up the current british MBT stuff, they've mentioned adjusting the Challenger 1 weakspots that are overly large but not much else. I feel the Chieftain as it is could easily be tier 4 rather than 5 (maybe with less HP and as an earlier "mark", with higher marks in Tier 5 and 6), that or buff it in other areas. A T-64 gives it a pretty good run for its money, but maybe that's just because the T-64 is so good for its tier.

I find for tier balance, "armor" is obviously the poorest scaling of the MBT-power triangle as higher tiers (at least above 5) start getting obviously better penetration on their guns, swiftly negating the advantage (nevermind glaring weakspots).

Speed is always useful, but being speedy but having poor/average armor and gun isn't super useful.

Having a great gently caress-off gun probably scales the best, so you can still pen and do good damage against higher tiers. A tank with good gun, average mobility and poor armor works "the best"(until you get to higher tiers and all MBTs start looking "Super/Great/Good switched around").

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 16, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

protastic posted:

1) Game is good.
2) Game is fun.
3) My win rate is way lower than I thought.
4) I don't care about point 3 (see points 1 and 2)

A wise man.

I keep seeing people insist that if you're good enough you can force a high win rate all on your own in both WoT and AW.

No. That's horseshit, and you should ignore those people. This is a team game, and it comes with all the baggage that entails. Either platoon up so you can guarantee that you've got competent people in your matches, or accept that things are going to go to hell as soon as the shooting starts and have fun with it.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 16, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
MBT-70 is best scout!

You can guess how I went scouting there. :haw:

In other news, I'm finding the Starship grind bearable. But that's likely just because I'm accustomed to the derpgun playstyle from loving the KV-2 back in WoT.

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 16, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I think there is another mechanic in play. If you drive the Sheridan for example - cool tank - you can do about 450 damage per shot. If you shoot at a tank that has less health than that, your damage gets downscaled so much that you cannot possible one shot it, apparently.

That is very obvious with artillery for example. Actually an okay mechanic.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think the Chieftain is perfectly fine as a tier 5 tank. Unfortunately with MM right now you are generally thrown in with a bunch of XM-1's.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

There are a bunch of temporary issues related to server population right now yeah. The chieftain will be right on par with the M60a3, the leopard 1a5, and hopefully the T-72 once the tier 5/6/7 population fills out enough to get consistent single-tier games. It makes a certain kind of sense to have a brawler (t-xx), a sniper (Leo), a jack-of-all-trades (m60), and a defensive linebacker with the chieftain. I hope they do a little bit of tweaking to get those roles right though.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Single tier games seem like they'd be boring as gently caress with how little variation there'd be. But yeah, tier differences are a big deal in this game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Typhoon owns and is good and fun you should buy it.

DaveMan77
Jan 2, 2014
I just downloaded this game today, it seems like a WOT clone, but with alot better tanks and graphics.
I think I will enjoy playing it over the weekend.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

DaveMan77 posted:

I just downloaded this game today, it seems like a WOT clone, but with alot better tanks and graphics.

You can drive vehicles that go literally 100kph. You can also drive BMPs.
Thus it is not just a WoT clone. It's magic.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Pimpmust posted:

The line is obviously unfinished and I do wish they'd fix up the current british MBT stuff, they've mentioned adjusting the Challenger 1 weakspots that are overly large but not much else. I feel the Chieftain as it is could easily be tier 4 rather than 5 (maybe with less HP and as an earlier "mark", with higher marks in Tier 5 and 6), that or buff it in other areas. A T-64 gives it a pretty good run for its money, but maybe that's just because the T-64 is so good for its tier.

I find for tier balance, "armor" is obviously the poorest scaling of the MBT-power triangle as higher tiers (at least above 5) start getting obviously better penetration on their guns, swiftly negating the advantage (nevermind glaring weakspots).

Speed is always useful, but being speedy but having poor/average armor and gun isn't super useful.

Having a great gently caress-off gun probably scales the best, so you can still pen and do good damage against higher tiers. A tank with good gun, average mobility and poor armor works "the best"(until you get to higher tiers and all MBTs start looking "Super/Great/Good switched around").

The whole line needs alot of work, brits should have had the highest pen guns or better dpm than T series, but no they got stack of HP.

Michaellaneous posted:

I think there is another mechanic in play. If you drive the Sheridan for example - cool tank - you can do about 450 damage per shot. If you shoot at a tank that has less health than that, your damage gets downscaled so much that you cannot possible one shot it, apparently.

That is very obvious with artillery for example. Actually an okay mechanic.

Devs confirmed there is a "1 shot mechanic". Its noticeable in PVE when you an MBT-70 HEAT spamming arty and only doing 300 damage.

DaveMan77 posted:

it is WoT without the negatives, its still beta but it feel so much better than WoT already.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Michaellaneous posted:

Typhoon owns and is good and fun you should buy it.

:sludgepal:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

A wise man.

I keep seeing people insist that if you're good enough you can force a high win rate all on your own in both WoT and AW.

No. That's horseshit, and you should ignore those people. This is a team game, and it comes with all the baggage that entails. Either platoon up so you can guarantee that you've got competent people in your matches, or accept that things are going to go to hell as soon as the shooting starts and have fun with it.

You're right. You're just 1 person of 15 people on a team and that's just way too little to have a decisive outcome in any battle. It's all random! :downs:

Michaellaneous posted:

You can drive vehicles that go literally 100kph. You can also drive BMPs.
Thus it is not just a WoT clone. It's magic.

I've had the Dragoon going 140kph. :rice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Yeah, there's a lack of variety right now I'll give you that. I'm personally looking forward to French and Israeli vehicles (Want that Merkava in my garage), as well as Asian stuff out of Korea, China, and Japan. And unlike in world of tanks those countries actually had significant vehicle development in the modern era (hello K1 and Type 10). Lots of potential stuff to drool over, especially since obsidian isn't shying away from future tech like the Armata.

• Locked thread