Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If nothing else, it will be amusing to watch Blizzard attempt to steal TF2 from Valve in the way that Valve stole Dota from Blizzard. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Diablo is like the ultimate podcast game. It doesn't require nearly enough attention from me to the point where I feel like I can't also listen to what's happening in the podcast, and it strikes just the perfect level of mindless for me. I guess that's a compliment?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Drone posted:

Diablo is like the ultimate podcast game. It doesn't require nearly enough attention from me to the point where I feel like I can't also listen to what's happening in the podcast, and it strikes just the perfect level of mindless for me. I guess that's a compliment?

I wouldn't call it a compliment in of itself but people want different games at different times. Like you say Diablo 3 is the quintessential "podcast" game but I'd never listen to something while I was playing Starcraft or Dota or whatever for fear of distraction.

Saying that, the best round of competitive CS I've ever played, I came home from the pub drunk on white russians, blazed enough :420: to make me spew and racked up 44 kills and 10 deaths while listening to David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars on full volume so who knows :classiclol:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ramagamma posted:

So Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone aren't good?

My oh my what a joyless life you must lead.

Although I agree, Hearthstone is trash.

Actually, d3 was basically a failure on release and has been 3 years of recovery. Yes it sold, but it wasn't well received by the fans. SC2 is very niche, and over half the people that buy it, only play the campaign once and don't touch MP. Their esports scene is dwarfed by the MOBAs. WoW is WoW. Does well for 6 month after expac releases and then the subs drop off. Hearthstone is the only real success story. It makes them money hand over fist, and doesn't have the negative publicity of their other games.

So basically, Overwatch could be amazing, but it'll likely be mediocre. It's a new concept for Blizzard, and even their tried and true genres are really struggling. Again, not in sales, but in how it's received by the community. The name Blizzard still had massive pull, which helps significantly with the initial sales.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Overwatch beta will be limited and probably nobody in here gets it. So it wasn't really GG. I was just playin

But legacy of the void comes out a week before star wars so we can all knock out the final single player chapter and see if Raynor and kerrigan make any demon babies.

Overwatch beta starting soon means they'll probably release the game in 2016. Probably.

I miss star wars. Tf2 is just less fun now even with the pretty alien reskin

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Comstar posted:

Dammit. I miss Hoth already.

Yeah, this is why I ended up pre-ordering this bad game. I'm part of the problem. :(

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Comstar posted:

Dammit. I miss Hoth already.

Me too. After it seemed poorly balanced, I ended up liking that map, and the beta overall a lot. For what it is, an arcadey version of Battlefield in Star Wars universe, it's fun. I wish we could have checked out other game modes, especially if there's not going to be a ton of maps, and I would be very disappointed if there's more of the COD style maps than the BF styled skirmishes. I also wish there was something to see what the unlocks are, to see if there might be any future loadouts worth using over jetpack and grenades.

I think this goes without saying, but it's really lovely that the deluxe preorder people get extra damage with their ion gun/grenades. I knew there would be poo poo like that since EA has historically done it to everything, but god it sucks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Me too. After it seemed poorly balanced, I ended up liking that map, and the beta overall a lot. For what it is, an arcadey version of Battlefield in Star Wars universe, it's fun. I wish we could have checked out other game modes, especially if there's not going to be a ton of maps, and I would be very disappointed if there's more of the COD style maps than the BF styled skirmishes. I also wish there was something to see what the unlocks are, to see if there might be any future loadouts worth using over jetpack and grenades.

I think this goes without saying, but it's really lovely that the deluxe preorder people get extra damage with their ion gun/grenades. I knew there would be poo poo like that since EA has historically done it to everything, but god it sucks.

I think that if the level cap wasn't there I probably would have gone up to 20 in the weekend that the beta was running so I'm not too salty about the deluxe edition getting early unlocks, I just have to wonder why people would want them other than having a small advantage over everyone else so they can get their MLG Killstreak videos or whatever

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ramagamma posted:

Why the gently caress was none of this Darth Maul spider poo poo in the movies?

That would of saved the prequels.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Full list of weapons/Star cards: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GLIU0KTIqI1Z-LaIDRwN8h9dUiul_GdVRmBa7IhVUU0/preview

12 weapons.

Bowcaster is a star card.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sedisp posted:

Full list of weapons/Star cards: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GLIU0KTIqI1Z-LaIDRwN8h9dUiul_GdVRmBa7IhVUU0/preview

12 weapons.

That's what dlc is for! 2 new maps and 2 new weapons

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sedisp posted:

12 weapons.

Oh man the badass jellyfish probe from Empire Strikes Back is a deployable weapon.. thats sick as hell.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sedisp posted:

12 weapons.

ok we get playable palpatine, pilotable slave-1, and jawa shotgun weapon

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Only six heroes. That sucks hugely

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So how does this compare to Splatoon?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Splatoon is good. This is okay at best.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Playable Princess Leia?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

Playable Princess Leia?

(Sarcastically) Yaay

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In an effort to distract us from how insanely loving badass it was to play as General Grievous, Darth Maul, and the version of Emperor Palpatine that has a lightsaber, they gave Han Solo extra powers like "shoulder bash" and "aimbot". But I didn't forget.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Considering that there's 4 maps that a 50% bonus!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm glad the bow caster still files the entirely useless arc of blasts from dark forces and jedi knight

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

literally gonna pull a hardline. have fun boys

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

net cafe scandal posted:

Only six heroes. That sucks hugely

I imagine DLC will include 2 new heroes for the new sets of maps. So...

Captain Phasma and Rey, Kylo Ren and Finn. Some other baddie and old Han or Chewie or something.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I know we're getting tie in DLC in the form of Jakku, but have they said we'll get actuall content set during the prequel trilogy? That would involve basically repeating all the work they've put into weapons and costumes for the imps and rebels, I wasn't expecting to actually see that.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ShineDog posted:

have they said we'll get actuall content set during the prequel trilogy?

No.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Has there been any talk of why you cannot go prone in the Battlefront beta? Was this a thing everybody knew about? It's kind of startling to switch from battlefield and then be unable to crawl while being pelted by AT-ATs and sniped at from across a coverless snowfield. Pretty sure there was a platforming level involving jawas and their big crawlers, which would be on Tattooine wouldn't it?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

coyo7e posted:

Pretty sure there was a platforming level involving jawas and their big crawlers, which would be on Tattooine wouldn't it?

Naw, you're thinking Super Star Wars not Super Empire Strikes Back.

Also the whole Super Star Wars trilogy owned.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

coyo7e posted:

Has there been any talk of why you cannot go prone in the Battlefront beta? Was this a thing everybody knew about? It's kind of startling to switch from battlefield and then be unable to crawl while being pelted by AT-ATs and sniped at from across a coverless snowfield.

Because this is a fun run and gun shooter and thats the kind of gameplay they want to encourage. Embrace it, don't stop.

If the games closest to any battlefield it's bad company 2. The BF where you couldn't prone. and the best battlefield.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

coyo7e posted:

Has there been any talk of why you cannot go prone in the Battlefront beta?

EA marketing found that casuals retards don't enjoy going prone, it only confused and confounded them, which detracted from the Star Wars Experience that you've come to love and expect from EA and DICE.

So no prone.

ShineDog posted:

and the best battlefield.

Donkey Kong SUCKS!

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 17, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
You know what? you suck.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ShineDog posted:

You know what? you suck.

:hfive:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's kinda hilarious how quickly you can put down vader or luke from behind.

ManMythLegend posted:

Naw, you're thinking Super Star Wars not Super Empire Strikes Back.

Also the whole Super Star Wars trilogy owned.
Ah that'd explain it. I had one of them, didn't remember there being more than one.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

coyo7e posted:

Ah that'd explain it. I had one of them, didn't remember there being more than one.

Yeah, Return of the Jedi was the best of the three.

Just like the movies. :colbert:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ShineDog posted:

Because this is a fun run and gun shooter and thats the kind of gameplay they want to encourage. Embrace it, don't stop.

If the games closest to any battlefield it's bad company 2. The BF where you couldn't prone. and the best battlefield.

Got to say I kind of expected a dodge roll, though that might be from too much guild wars.

e: Actually BF2 had a roll, didn't it? I think thats why I wanted to dodge the first time a grenade landed at my feet.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, Return of the Jedi was the best of the three.

Just like the movies. :colbert:

fite me irl

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ijyt posted:

Got to say I kind of expected a dodge roll, though that might be from too much guild wars.

e: Actually BF2 had a roll, didn't it? I think thats why I wanted to dodge the first time a grenade landed at my feet.

Both Battlefront games had a dodge roll. In BF1 however you had to press the jump button and push the stick sideways to roll, no forward rolls.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The jet pack works pretty well as a get outta Dodge move. As does the personal shield. I'll be curious to see what other options become available in the full release.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Sudo Echo posted:

Playable Princess Leia?

Leia is a boss in Battlefront 2. At least, on Polis Masa she is.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Sedisp posted:

12 weapons.

To be fair, there were only about 12 weapons seen in Ep 4-6

Still isn't a good excuse though

Limiting themselves so much on the time period is shooting themselves in the rear end.

I can understand the environments and story, but why the weapons? Just because we didn't see them in the movies, does not mean they were not used.

Ingame lore/description says the personal shield was based on the Destroyer Droid shield tech so they're not against using it.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tuskin38 posted:

To be fair, there were only about 12 weapons seen in Ep 4-6

Still isn't a good excuse though

Limiting themselves so much on the time period is shooting themselves in the rear end.

I can understand the environments and story, but why the weapons? Just because we didn't see them in the movies, does not mean they were not used.

Ingame lore/description says the personal shield was based on the Destroyer Droid shield tech so they're not against using it.

And the deployable shields smaller versions of the Gungan shields from Phantom Menace.

• Locked thread