Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
HAY GUYS WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS FUNNY THREA

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

good thing im already autistic

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Arian_Samurai posted:

Glad that is cleared up.

Next question: what the gently caress is a "yeoman"?

navy retard speak for clerk

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

navy retard speak for clerk

Um excuse me the correct term is 'yeoman'. Not all clerks are in the military thank you.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Um excuse me the correct term is 'yeoman'. Not all clerks are in the military thank you.

:laugh:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Could you call a war elephant a solider?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

mdm posted:

therealracists.jpg

The best trick ever was when the DNC, the party of racism, government control and state sanctioned monopolies co-opted the phrase liberal (from liberalism aka. liberty, liberarianism if you will). They subsequently made liberal divergent from personal empowerment and led 3 generations to believe "liberal attitudes" imply statism and asset confiscation.

Sadly, no Nobel Prize is ever given out to political strategists. Only ex-im bank bennies.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Isaac posted:

Could you call a war elephant a solider?

no you idiot they're a special unit but they have a weakness vs spears like a cavalry unit
you don't know anything

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can you call anyone in the Cavalry a "War Elephant" ?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

idk what kind of point you think this is? yeoman and clerk are not mutually exclusive terms the way marine and soldier are, a yeoman is a type of clerk that is in the navy. the only way this would be analogous is if you think a marine is a type of soldier that is in the navy, which is still wrong because "soldier" still means "member of the army" regardless of what kind of duty, skills, or position they hold.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

imo getting a couple of people to cry a lot because they don't like being corrected makes for a much better thread than posting some bad comics without even doing funny edits so even though this was not my intention (as I could not have foreseen what giant babies would be posting itt) I definitely count this as a win.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Marines are soldiers. They fight on land. If marines only boarded other boats and fought other people on their boats, then maybe I'd call them marines. But when they're fighting in a landlocked desert country, I fail to see the distinction.

Besides, the term "soldier," believe it or not, is not solely restricted to refer to members of the United States army. We normal folk (civilians to you) broadly apply it to people who fight for other countries too, and we use the term in describing people in Mesopotamian armies stabbing each other with swords 2000 years ago, and will use it to cover mutants fighting in space with lasers 2000 years from now.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
is that dumb motherfucker STILL having a bitch fit over the comic with the soldier in a wheelchair?

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
Why do marine care so much about everyone knowing and acknowledging that they are marines?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can you call a submarine a soldier or is it a marine

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

lordoftheT posted:

Why do marine care so much about everyone knowing and acknowledging that they are marines?

semper fieeeee

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

Can you call a submarine a soldier or is it a marine

depending on the region sometimes they are known as hoagies

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

depending on the region sometimes they are known as hoagies

This is all very confusing can we get a milgoon goon to clear this up

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

imo getting a couple of people to cry a lot because they don't like being corrected makes for a much better thread than posting some bad comics without even doing funny edits so even though this was not my intention (as I could not have foreseen what giant babies would be posting itt) I definitely count this as a win.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Wizchine posted:

Marines are soldiers. They fight on land. If marines only boarded other boats and fought other people on their boats, then maybe I'd call them marines. But when they're fighting in a landlocked desert country, I fail to see the distinction.

Besides, the term "soldier," believe it or not, is not solely restricted to refer to members of the United States army. We normal folk (civilians to you) broadly apply it to people who fight for other countries too, and we use the term in describing people in Mesopotamian armies stabbing each other with swords 2000 years ago, and will use it to cover mutants fighting in space with lasers 2000 years from now.

lol, no, sorry. members of the marine corps are, by definition, not members of the army, and therefore not soldiers, unless you think that if a sailor in the coast guard steps foot on land to arrest a suspect, he becomes a soldier. that would mean that by simply being required to go ashore to complete his duties he not only transitions from the coast guard to the army, but by extension transitions out of the department of homeland security entirely and into the department of defense.

this is really really simple: "soldier" means "member of the army", irrespective of that member's occupation, position, or rank. in the same way and for the same reasons, "airman" means member of the air force, even if it's someone in the security forces who will never touch a plane in any professional capacity, and "sailor" is anyone in the navy or coast guard even if they spend their entire careers on dry land. the marine corps is officially part of the navy so marines are technically sailors but they are not soldiers or airmen.

proof of concept posted:

is that dumb motherfucker STILL having a bitch fit over the comic with the soldier in a wheelchair?

:shibe:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ty this owns

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

lol, no, sorry. members of the marine corps are, by definition, not members of the army, and therefore not soldiers, unless you think that if a sailor in the coast guard steps foot on land to arrest a suspect, he becomes a soldier. that would mean that by simply being required to go ashore to complete his duties he not only transitions from the coast guard to the army, but by extension transitions out of the department of homeland security entirely and into the department of defense.

this is really really simple: "soldier" means "member of the army", irrespective of that member's occupation, position, or rank. in the same way and for the same reasons, "airman" means member of the air force, even if it's someone in the security forces who will never touch a plane in any professional capacity, and "sailor" is anyone in the navy or coast guard even if they spend their entire careers on dry land. the marine corps is officially part of the navy so marines are technically sailors but they are not soldiers or airmen.

lol he keeps going too

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

:ironicat:

So a submarine is a Sailor?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

mdm posted:

lol he keeps going too

:cheerdoge:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Isaac posted:

So a submarine is a Sailor?

a submarine is a vehicle. unless it's a robot in disguise, in which case, uh, I think that still makes it equipment. but I guess if there's more than meets the eye, like it has what we would consider free will and thus was required to be treated as an individual, and he chose to serve in the navy, then I guess he would be a sailor, and that would be cool.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

by definition any member of the armed forces, be they in the army, navy, marines, or airforce, and regardless of their rank, can be correctly referred to with the umbrella term "soldier," particularly when the reference is colloquial, and it is hilarious that you are having such a hard time getting this through your head even after multiple people posted dictionary definitions explaining this

mdm posted:

lol he keeps going too

he's like one of those wind-up soldiers wound WAY up just going to keep going in that same direction even if he's marching into a wall haha

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

needs more labels

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
which branch of the military can i join to fight the good fight on language policing to keep these colloquial uses of words down

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

by definition any member of the armed forces, be they in the army, navy, marines, or airforce, and regardless of their rank, can be correctly referred to with the umbrella term "soldier," particularly when the reference is colloquial, and it is hilarious that you are having such a hard time getting this through your head even after multiple people posted dictionary definitions explaining this

he's like one of those wind-up soldiers wound WAY up just going to keep going in that same direction even if he's marching into a wall haha

lol soldier literally means "member of the army" and I will keep correcting you on that until you either get it or it stops making you mad

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mdm posted:

which branch of the military can i join to fight the good fight on language policing to keep these colloquial uses of words down

you need to go and be a soldier for the marines

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

mdm posted:

Hoagie

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol soldier literally means "member of the army" and I will keep correcting you on that until you either get it or it stops making you mad

literally means [ignores dictionary definition]

ok pal

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Libelous Slander posted:

pretty cruel that noble savage angels troll the unborn before they get sealed in purgatory

god drat

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

you had better not call them grinders on the internet or so help me god I will stay up all night correcting you, and saying that you are angry

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

you had better not call them grinders on the internet or so help me god I will stay up all night correcting you, and saying that you are angry

maybe you need to have a lie down and do some deep breathing because if you just keep angrily hammering out posts here without stopping it will get boring soon

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

maybe you need to have a lie down and do some deep breathing because if you just keep angrily hammering out posts here without stopping it will get boring soon

I'm laughing so hard at you that I'm having a hard time staying upright but don't you worry about me I'll SOLDIER through :lol:

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

proof of concept posted:

I'm laughing so hard at you that I'm having a hard time staying upright but don't you worry about me I'll SOLDIER through :lol:

Ya mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
This is a bad thread.

• Locked thread