Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's not discounting murder as a possible good thing, but it is still murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Arguing about what words mean is boring so let me just say this: I am glad that the man was shot in the head for his crimes

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

at the end mika is gonna disable the Big Bad, get out of his silly robot, and blow the enemy's head off :D

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Above Our Own posted:

As for all the hand wringing about executing an unarmed prisoner, I mean, for a capital offense that's kind of what you do. You don't give them a gun post sentencing and challenge them to pistols at dawn.

Let's not do semantics quibbles. It's clear you don't think the coup and/or exeuction were justfiable, how do you think Orga and Third Group should have responded instead?

They're a private company. It's not a "capital offense." They are not in any capacity a nation or state.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hope this discussion gets taken prisoner and executed

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

i hope this discussion gets taken prisoner and executed

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

drat good soup.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Above Our Own posted:

Arguing about what words mean is boring so let me just say this: I am glad that the man was shot in the head for his crimes

You're really good at being willfully obtuse and I don't really know what to say if you don't feel a little uncomfortable about a scene where a child dispassionately shoots a bound man in the head execution style while he begs for mercy, regardless of how much of a total dick that guy is. I'm positive that it's not really meant to be a "gently caress YEAH, JUSTICE!" scene.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He wasn't begging for poo poo. After he realized he wasn't threatening his way out of it, he begrudgingly changed tactics and even then was making threats.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it's bad to shoot people and to kill them and also that death penalty? It's wack!!

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Kanos posted:

You're really good at being willfully obtuse and I don't really know what to say if you don't feel a little uncomfortable about a scene where a child dispassionately shoots a bound man in the head execution style while he begs for mercy, regardless of how much of a total dick that guy is. I'm positive that it's not really meant to be a "gently caress YEAH, JUSTICE!" scene.
Sorry for not getting uncomfortable about the anime where giant robots smash the heck out of each other, the only thing I have to say is that I think the execution was a grim but just action and the scene was very good at adding some moral complexity and a whole lotta tone to the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A show can feature giant robots smashing each other AND make you uncomfortable with the violence involved. Gundam tries to do that on a regular basis with mixed levels of success.

IBO more than most as every single fight so far has been bloody and uncomfortable and involved suffering on the part of everyone involved in a real blatant way.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

A show can feature giant robots smashing each other AND make you uncomfortable with the violence involved. Gundam tries to do that on a regular basis with mixed levels of success.

IBO more than most as every single fight so far has been bloody and uncomfortable and involved suffering on the part of everyone involved in a real blatant way.
Yeah and I am diggin' it. I like the grit and somber tone of these hard men in the martian desert

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

no such thing as an anti-war film

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When I saw the execution scene, the first thing that came to mind was stuff like when a defeated army's commander would be publicly executed as a sign to his troops that the battle was lost. Since the Tekkadan are kids, I think it's more an issue of physical strength in restraining a grown military man. As it is, they had to knock them all out, restrain them, and THEN execute the leader.

Because they're kids, they may not immediately see how killing a restrained man in cold blood is any different from the old timey public execution. They may have just gone with what was the easiest. Unfortunately they still murdered a restrained man in cold blood, and that is just not how you do things. You can argue just cause and all that, but there is a way to do away with a defeated enemy leader and they did not do it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

Come and See.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrlEbI0Ss0

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
lol I was going to say Come and See too but I felt like it would open a whole new can of worms.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

muike posted:

lol I was going to say Come and See too but I felt like it would open a whole new can of worms.

There's tons of movies that I would say are objectively anti war films, but those usually end up the movies that are framed from the perspectives of powerless people who are in the path of the conflict as opposed to the stories of soldiers, which often end up with a heroic bent to them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shinjobi posted:

You can argue just cause and all that, but there is a way to do away with a defeated enemy leader and they did not do it.

They also may not have known of them, or had the luxury to accommodate those methods even if they did. They obviously did the best they could come up with, but it's not like child soldiers who can't even read should be expected to know the morally correct way to judge and sentence prisoners.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

You've never seen How I Won the War, I take it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

There's tons of movies that I would say are objectively anti war films, but those usually end up the movies that are framed from the perspectives of powerless people who are in the path of the conflict as opposed to the stories of soldiers, which often end up with a heroic bent to them.

"There's no such thing as an anti-war film" is a thing a dude said once and gets mindlessly quoted a lot, but isn't actually true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, gis point remain true: that ir's hard to make a truly anti-war film. It's human nature to want nice stories with heroes that stop the bad things. And even the bleakest movies can have people finding stuff cool about it. Like some people thinl Apocalypse Now is awesome. Surfing in a war? That's badass!

But a thing being hard does not make it impossible.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

What I found most disturbing about how Mika executed Crank was that he didn't let the man finish his last words. I assume Mika didn't think Crank deserved to.

Or he just didn't consider it important at all.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Green Intern posted:

What I found most disturbing about how Mika executed Crank was that he didn't let the man finish his last words. I assume Mika didn't think Crank deserved to.

I assumed he felt it was best to just get it done with without drawing the old man's death out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This Mobile Suit has literal jackboots...

Not necessarily a spoiler if you don't care about looking at art for mobile suits that haven't shown up yet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I assume he didn't want Crank sitting there waiting for the bullet he knew was coming and did it when it was unexpected to save him that misery.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think Mika just doesn't put much value on last words

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If they're still talking, they're not currently trying to kill you. Safest time to shoot them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Or he just didn't consider it important at all.

Probably the latter. Orga told him to kill Crank, and then Crank asked him to do it as well. I doubt he saw any reason to delay it.

If anything Mika just seems to consider it kinda strange Crank was asking for a mercy kill at all. He looks away and starts scratching his head as if he doesn't really get what he's talking about.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I feel like it would've been incredibly dangerous to leave Crank/that other guy alive, and it seems that Mars is pretty lawless so I don't know that having a third party adjudicate the situation was possible. Gjallarhorn represents a more legitimized goverenment but their MO seems to be shoot children first, seek a diplomatic solution never so I think Orga just picked the best option out of a plate of lovely options. Everyone keeps saying cold blood but I think summarily executing a war criminal isn't really an evil thing.

What was shocking about the scene was watching a child double tap a guy on the ground with no pity or remorse. I don't disagree that it's like woah but given the context I don't think it shows any moral deficiency on the part of the MC's, quite the opposite. Kids have some serious balls

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Epic robot warcrimes itt

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Leave my crank alive

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Namtab posted:

Epic robot warcrimes itt
*licks lips war crimefully*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

*licks lips war crimefully*

I have evolved

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Namtab posted:

Epic robot warcrimes itt

All of you that have never been listened to before and have seen your family killed, huh, you now have something that stands for you. You now have something that stands for you!

(I watched the movie today)

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

A military tribunal should've been set up and the series should have made pivot to a courtroom drama anime imho. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans: JAG

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

"There's no such thing as an anti-war film" is a thing a dude said once and gets mindlessly quoted a lot, but isn't actually true.

It's not an absolute, but it's a good description of a phenomenon that's fairly common, especially in media like anime that has vocal audience segments cheering at the prospect of killhappy main characters because that's "badass" and "realistic". Not saying anybody here's like that, I was just reminded of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There are no Laws on mars, idiots.

Can't wait for the Gundam Sheriff to roll into town and stop The Iron Rose gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I still think one of my favorite setting details is that the Gundams from the Calamity War era are all named after the 72 demons from the Lesser Key of Solomon in the Ars Goetia.

Because even if we never actually get to see it on screen at any point, it means this setting has a Gundam Caim. :getin:

• Locked thread