Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Eh! Frank posted:

Out of curiosity, who would you have picked to play her?

A difficult question, to be sure! Muscular women do not get very much exposure in cinema, so I don't have a lot to go on. I would probably go the Drax the Destroyer route and try to cast a wrestler or other pro athlete. Unfortunately, without getting to see auditions I don't really know what female athletes have acting potential, but presumably this would not be a problem for the casting director.

If you were going with an established actress, she would definitely need some time to bulk up specifically for the role, because no one but wrestlers and MMA fighters really has reason to maintain that type of figure by default. To Gadot's credit, she really seems to have been doing her best to muscle up, it's just that she started from a very skinny baseline. I would want to start with someone a bit more substantial (Gina Torres? Gemma Arterton?) and bulk up from there. Teagone is right that Jessica Biel's build from blade 3 would feel appropriate, though I've never been terribly impressed with her as an actress. Character design is in many ways about the silhouette, and for me the WW silhouette is about strong shoulders and legs (though a strong jawline doesn't hurt either.)

I guess if i'm going full fantasy-casting, a time-displaced Lucy Lawless would probably be ideal. (personally I wouldn't mind a modern-day Lucy Lawless, but she's 47 and time travel is probably more plausible at this point.)

This post involved a lot of depressing googling and I'm going to have weird dreams now.

edit: Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of an older wonder woman, as impossible as it would be in today's hollywood climate. We've already got a tired old Bruce, after all, and I always found Diana/Bruce to be more interesting than Diana/Clark.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

She's going to have be better than serviceable in order to carry the weight she needs to carry for this role and from what we've seen serviceable would be a considerable improvement.

Do we even know whether or not she's in the movie for longer than Vision was in A2. She's in like two shots in the trailer. She might not need to carry a lot of weight.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

Do we even know whether or not she's in the movie for longer than Vision was in A2. She's in like two shots in the trailer. She might not need to carry a lot of weight.

She is going to have her own movie. That's the weight she'll have to carry. And if she's not good in whatever capacity in this film it will sink expectations for that and cause massive doubt.

Wonder Woman needs to be good. Not just ok, it needs to be a home run. And not just for DC, the first solo female superhero movie of this superhero period needs to be a critical and financial success after all the abysmal attempts we've gotten so far over the years. It needs to prove that the female led superhero movie can work and work well. And that's a lot of extra pressure on the shoulders of someone that is basically unproven going into already such an iconic role.

And that most of all is why I'm hopeful she's got something to offer we haven't seen yet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe the casting director and producers are thinking along this "good movie" line too!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's definitely a greater onus and burden on WW to succeed, but I submit that Henry Cavill is just kind of a tolerable-to-decent actor who didn't really wow anyone with his scowls or drawls in MoS and that film was still considered a success. Even Christian Bale, with all his intensity, was pretty much the least interesting persona of the acclaimed Nolanbat films.

(I say this being fully aware that -- for various reasons -- Gadot is going to have to be twice as good as them to get half the approval)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I will reserve judgment on this whole issue until I have seen how Gadot draws Wonder Woman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe the casting director and producers are thinking along this "good movie" line too!

Let's hope. Because you'd probably be surprised, or not actually, how often that's probably not the top concern.

In the last few years I went from not really caring about Wonder Woman that much to her being one of the brightest spots of DC for me, at least until recently when her title turned to crap. It started with the animated Wonder Woman movie which was a pleasant surpise and is still probably my first or second favorite animated DC movie. And then Brian Azzarello turned Wonder Woman into my favorite DC book until the Finches decided to ruin it. So I'm rooting for Wonder Woman.

That being said after the casting initially hit I lost interest in the film. I tried to just forget about it and just pretend it wasn't happening. I didn't want to see a Gal Gadot Wonder Woman film. I'd rather have not had one. Not becuase of some weird fixation on her being too small. But because she was pretty bad in the moments I had seen of her onscreen. But I eventually made peace with it and realized that I needed to be hopeful. Because I really want the movie to work and I think we really need it to work. And then after I made peace Michelle MacLaren, who I was excited about, dropped out and I got worried again. That was a big blow. I'm definitely not nearly as excited about Patty Jenkins but I've decided that I just have to sit back and be hopeful at this point. And trust that there is more to her than what we've seen so far. If something goes horribly awry and the rest of the movie is somehow an atrocious mess but she comes out as the only thing good about it I'll call it a huge success.

X-O fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 22, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish they drew superheroes like strongmen, not bodybuilders. That goes for Wondy, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone who is invulnerable cannot build muscle mass!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gal Gadot is fit and muscular and looks completely bad rear end as Wonder Woman. If anything the problem is Superman and Batman jacked themselves to unrealistic levels and are covered in rubber muscles on top of that and look like ridiculous cartoon characters. You can't cover Wonder Woman in fake costume muscles she never wears long sleeves.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Gal Gadot could beat the poo poo out of anyone posting on this board without even breaking a sweat.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
A woman who looks as if she could beat me to death with her bare hands isn't strong looking enough - some goddamn goons

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why are we pretending beating up some goons is an impressive feat?i swear the hoops you people will jump through.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can jump through way more hoops than she can.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can run like 7k or so.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There are also different types of muscle. You don't need to look like you can pull someone's head off to be goddamn strong.

Don't women tends more towards lean muscle anyway? There's a lot of stuff to get into here about the expectations of male versus female physiques in movies -- look at Chris Pratt's wicked bod in GotG. On the one hand it'd be nice to have some seriously muscly ladies up on the screen because different is good, but on the other hand the PT routine must be grueling and I don't really wish that on anyone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

NmareBfly posted:

There are also different types of muscle. You don't need to look like you can pull someone's head off to be goddamn strong.

Haha, that was the exact GIF I was looking for that I saw on imgur/reddit the other day and wanted to post during the debate I was having earlier but couldn't find since my brain is fried at the moment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing is is that women aren't really built like they are drawn in the comics. And if you found some genetic freak that did, she probably isn't also an actor that is capable of fronting a multi million dollar film franchise.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

The thing is is that women aren't really built like they are drawn in the comics. And if you found some genetic freak that did, she probably isn't also an actor that is capable of fronting a multi million dollar film franchise.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thank you for putting this all in context by reminding me of the true tragedy, which is that the current MCU does not support Hawkguy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry Gal. You're just not an acceptable woman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 22, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sif from the Marvel side is good evidence that you don't have to be bulky to pull the look off. Don't let one unflattering camera shot define the casting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just keep dreaming of a Glory movie coming to beautiful fruition.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Madkal posted:

Just keep dreaming of a Glory movie coming to beautiful fruition.

they made that, it had lots of notable black actors

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe they could make Wonder Woman CGI like the Hulk? :razz:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I dunno, she's strong but I'm gonna have to see her audition reel before I give my approval. How's her Krav Maga? Also WW traditionally has dark hair, but we could fix that in post.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Maybe they could make Wonder Woman CGI like the Hulk? :razz:

I've actually been expecting to see more all-CG films attempted in the superhero genre - it seems like an appropriate place for that technique, given the amount of CG that's already necessary for wrecking up cities and stuff. Have there been any of these lately? I can't really think of any high-profile attempts after Final Fantasy and Beowulf.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Big Hero 6 which was fairly well received, though not in the style of realistic cgi if that's what you mean.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Good point, and incredibles too. I was thinking about honest attempts at realism, but we are probably better off keeping our CG stylized.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Realistic CGI attempts also include Adventures of Tin-Tin (2011, Spielberg, well-received), The Polar Express (2004, Zemeckis), and arguably Mars Needs Moms (2011, bombed). I didn't see the latter 2 so maybe they don't qualify.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't forget Beowulf, and Blade 3.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Don't forget Beowulf, and Blade 3.

I honestly wondered how long a man could go without opening his eyes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zoux posted:

The thing is is that women aren't really built like they are drawn in the comics.
We actually have an entire thread dedicated to them in GBS, it's a great thread.

Anyone who thinks Gal Gadot looks "muscular", quite possibly has never actually seen a fit or muscular woman.
She's not supermodel twig thin, which is a step in the right direction, but there's still a wide gap between Gal Gadot's current build and "a fitness model".
Rebecca Ferguson in Mission Impossible 5, Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow, that's borderline actually "fit and muscular" and almost pushing the envelope for a lead actress in a big Hollywood movie.
Gal Gadot on the current photos we've seen, not even close.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 22, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You may have seen those movies in the wrong aspect ratio.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

greatn posted:

I can run like 7k or so.

You can run 7 thousand miles an hour?

Xenomrph posted:

.... lol, just lol

Is it possible to take someone who types like this seriously?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

You may have seen those movies in the wrong aspect ratio.

I don't get it :confused:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 22, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Unmature posted:

You can run 7 thousand miles an hour?

Is it possible to take someone who types like this seriously?
If that's the breaking point for you in my post, then ignore it and read the rest of the post. You know, the actual point and stuff.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

If that's the breaking point for you in my post, then ignore it and read the rest of the post. You know, the actual point and stuff.

Nah.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hell of a rebuttal to my point, "I didn't bother reading the post because of one 3-word turn of phrase". An unconventional approach, but I'm not sure how effective it is. :munch:

If I go back and edit my post, will you lighten up and/remove the stick from your butt?

Edit- edited, just for you :wink:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

A difficult question, to be sure! Muscular women do not get very much exposure in cinema, so I don't have a lot to go on. I would probably go the Drax the Destroyer route and try to cast a wrestler or other pro athlete. Unfortunately, without getting to see auditions I don't really know what female athletes have acting potential, but presumably this would not be a problem for the casting director.

I guess the famous example of a female actor getting fairly bulked up for a role would be Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, right? I mean, I didn't watch the Terminator TV series, but I am aware that Lena Headey was criticised for not looking like as much of a "muscular warrior" (were the words used, I believe) as Linda Hamilton did when she was playing Sarah Connor.

It's all well beyond me, of course. Perhaps I'm just easily impressed? I go to the gymnasium four times a week these days but I never seem to improve!

• Locked thread