Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah but there's literally an acre of unused dirt right next door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah but there's literally an acre of unused dirt right next door.

Clearly the solution here is to load up a cropduster with hydrochloric acid and just kind of mist that stuff over the neighboring lot.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Given the thistles growing over there, I would 100% ok with that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Slung Blade posted:

So given the Canadian election results, I might have to change my plans. Anyone want to help me buy the lot next to me and start a cannabis farm once it's legal? :v:

I think you could do with a heated and lighted greenhouse. your biggest problem will be the gasoline bill for the generators and security fees to local mobsters.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Sink the greenhouses half into the ground for added insulation. Maybe a wind turbine to get some power from chinook winds and ease the cost of gasoline that's gonna power your pot farm.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'm not a botanist, but couldn't you just grow gasoline plants in half of the greenhouse to provide your own gasoline for the generators for the marijuana plants?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grow grain, ferment it and distill it to make your own whisky. Discard the backset from that as it will be loaded up with organic acids and drop the pH quite a bit.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

That Works posted:

Grow grain, ferment it and distill it to make your own whisky. Discard the backset from that as it will be loaded up with organic acids and drop the pH quite a bit.

This idea is the best idea. I would buy Slung Blade's homebrew if he bottled it pretty and called it something clever.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 20, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That Works posted:

This is the best plan because on the way to growing your weed you get booze and that is just beautiful.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is the best plan because on the way to growing your weed you get booze and that is just beautiful.

:unsmith:

I call it 'cash crop rotation'

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Faerunner posted:

This idea is the best idea. I would buy Slung Blade's homebrew if he bottled it pretty and called it something clever.

"Mayor McWhiskey's Old Timey Farm Hooch"

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Your ground dirt is suboptimal if your soil pH is anything other than 6.2. Also if you've got hard water, you soften it, you are going to want to switch to a potassium-based salt rather than the sodium-based. Sodium kills plants, and you've enough salt in your dirt already.

Another alternative would be to lay out some eaves troughs on a slight slope and run some fertilizer water down it. Suspend plants over said eavestroughs and their roots will absorb nutrients from the solution. It's not easy to manage nitrogen levels with this technique but you'll be able to expand quickly and cover a lot of ground once harper's legislation is repealed.

There's a thread that might be of interest to you. As far as I know posting in it won't get you automatically arrested.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Aquaponics! The wave of the future!

Really you should just buy the plot next to you, no matter what you wind up using it for. Land is land. Although botany is fun.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Aquaponics! The wave of the future!

Really you should just buy the plot next to you, no matter what you wind up using it for. Land is land. Although botany is fun.

Tilapia, duckweed, tomatoes, lettuce, and pot, drat near organic (this depends,) and almost a closed system. And all the fish tacos you could eat!

LansLeFleur
Apr 11, 2007

You could invest some time and energy in getting a greenhouse going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrpGB8eBqDg

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Or more time and more money in an exciting setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ynBppcvKM

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've pretty well discovered that I am terrible at gardening and should not be allowed to care for plants.

The only plant I've managed to keep alive for any length of time is a seven or eight year old venus fly trap. That dudes only still around because I keep it in the kitchen window and can see how much water it has daily, since I keep it in a little glass teapot. Plus it gets nice clean distilled water with no salt, and I feed it all the flies I can catch alive. (Cathartic as hell, let me tell you.)

I need to concentrate on metal, cars, BBQ, and not completely falling out of society.

To that end, and related tangentially to nearly all of those, my project is moving at a snail's pace. I appear before the county council next week for an appeal to their draconian building bylaws, wish me luck :getin:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Slung Blade posted:

I appear before the county council next week for an appeal to their draconian building bylaws, wish me luck :getin:

Aren't you the Mayor? Can't you just...sign your own appeal or something?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Shampoo posted:

Aren't you the Mayor? Can't you just...sign your own appeal or something?

Town council doesn't have any real power, except for what I seize for myself. We collect no taxes and are only responsible for the administration of our community hall.

The county runs everything. We're just a little farming/bedroom community hamlet.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Slung Blade posted:

Town council doesn't have any real power, except for what I seize for myself.

Then seize more! :black101:

Crush your enemies! See them driven before you! Hear the lamentations of their women!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Magnus Praeda posted:

Then seize more! :black101:

Crush your enemies! See them driven before you! Hear the lamentations of their women!

Artist's rendering of Mayor Slung Blade at the next council meeting:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat, I think I need a new avatar...

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Artist's rendering of Mayor Slung Blade at the next council meeting:

:golfclap: That's awesome.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Appeal approved. They have no idea of the horrors they have just unleashed :pcgaming:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Appeal approved. They have no idea of the horrors they have just unleashed :pcgaming:

I look forward to pictures of this horror.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hahahahaha. Fantastic!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Wait, so which project is this now?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, so which project is this now?

Gotta build something. I'll post details when it's all finalized. Need to hire a contractor first.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh poo poo this is gonna be great.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Quarterly anti archives bump.

Contractor is hired, more or less. I also just put down a deposit on a two post automotive hoist.

Just need a building permit now.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Quarterly anti archives bump.

Contractor is hired, more or less. I also just put down a deposit on a two post automotive hoist.

Just need a building permit now.

I hear the mayor may look favourably on your application.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 24, 2016

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is it nepotism if he is his own grandpa?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man what the gently caress? Someone hydrovacced the gas and electric lines last week? What the gently caress for?

Oh.

(man I really need to sand and primer this wood and repaint it, gross)

Huh. Whatever this is it looks pretty big.

Kinda moist down there... Must be an underground stream, this is one of the dryest springs/winters I have ever experienced.

Oh I see now. It's a foundation for a fuckoff huge workshop. Rad.

So yeah, several attempts at gardening failed for lack of consistently commit-able time and a vague disinterest on my part means that I have this huge yard and a bunch of grass that I hate mowing. Also, a complete desire to continue my pursuit of ironwork, welding, and fixing cars, but a lack of space to do so (because my existing garage is packed to the gills and I have to spend an hour excavating before I can accomplish anything). Solution: a 40' long, 30' wide and 12' interior ceiling shop with room for two lifts and a buttload of tools (maybe even a lathe and mill) with enough electrical power cabling to run all of it without hanging extension cords everywhere.

Buckle up folks, we're back in hardware mode :getin:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slung Blade posted:

Man what the gently caress? Someone hydrovacced the gas and electric lines last week? What the gently caress for?

Oh.

(man I really need to sand and primer this wood and repaint it, gross)

Huh. Whatever this is it looks pretty big.

Kinda moist down there... Must be an underground stream, this is one of the dryest springs/winters I have ever experienced.

Oh I see now. It's a foundation for a fuckoff huge workshop. Rad.

So yeah, several attempts at gardening failed for lack of consistently commit-able time and a vague disinterest on my part means that I have this huge yard and a bunch of grass that I hate mowing. Also, a complete desire to continue my pursuit of ironwork, welding, and fixing cars, but a lack of space to do so (because my existing garage is packed to the gills and I have to spend an hour excavating before I can accomplish anything). Solution: a 40' long, 30' wide and 12' interior ceiling shop with room for two lifts and a buttload of tools (maybe even a lathe and mill) with enough electrical power cabling to run all of it without hanging extension cords everywhere.

Buckle up folks, we're back in hardware mode :getin:

loving killer. What kind of shed?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Even though I am a 38 married male, I cannot help but wondering, is there a Mrs Slung Blade? :forkbomb:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Woohoo Slung Blade is back at it again!! :dance:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
A few years from now you'll call in pest control;

'Yeah, there's your problem, you've got a colony of SA posters living up there in the crawl space. They're in there pretty good, got themselves a waffle maker and everything,"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Aww yeah.

Little inspiration for you from AI : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670931&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Fuzzkill built something pretty similar, and now he's working on a loving rad Datusn in it.

:getin:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This factorio LP is getting out of hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

That Works posted:

This factorio LP is getting out of hand

:catbert:

there is another kind of factorio-ing?