Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Lead to over consumption of alcohol and liver disease I suppose if we take that logic at face value or ignore that people that probably shouldn't access guns are able to anyway.

See what I mean with the analogies?

No, it simply exposes you as a horrible debater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yes! Go! Let the mindless posting of played-out comics commence!

These comics represent me! I can fart them out without engaging!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really, no. The point is, previous prohibitions led to increased criminality and violence, and failed to substantially curb supply, and there is no reason to believe a prohibition on guns would be any more successful. Pointing out, "yes, but those bootleggers and drug runners used GUNS!" does not in any way dispute that.

Except of course in all those countries where there are prohibitions on guns, which remarkably don't have the problem of black churches or schools being shot up on a regular basis.

I guess if you ignore that then the theory makes perfect sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ddraig posted:

Except of course in all those countries where there are prohibitions on guns, which remarkably don't have the problem of black churches or schools being shot up on a regular basis.

Clearly, the real provocative acts here are the presence of black churches and black schools.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

This too reflects my point of view and I will show my agreement via quoting.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Good job ignoring all the hate crimes that Europeans commit against Muslims, Jews, Roma, etc.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Gun otaku.
:smug:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really, no. The point is, previous prohibitions led to increased criminality and violence, and failed to substantially curb supply, and there is no reason to believe a prohibition on guns would be any more successful. Pointing out, "yes, but those bootleggers and drug runners used GUNS!" does not in any way dispute that.

Almost as though alcohol is addictive and kinda awesome so that demand just never was gonna go anywhere.

Unless you are going to tell me that gun owners are so addicted to guns that they are going to make pop guns out of tub pipes or go to underground ranges, or *shudder* get their guns from Canada to get their fix then this comparison is again, really bad.

Cartouche posted:

Mmmm. Compelling case. If only they would have banned guns when they banned alcohol.

Hindsight in 20/20 I am glad you finally...

Cartouche posted:

No, it simply exposes you as a horrible debater.

Hey whataminiute <:mad:>

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

C.M. Kruger posted:

Good job ignoring all the hate crimes that Europeans commit against Muslims, Jews, Roma, etc.

Being Roma myself I'm glad there are prohibitions on guns or myself and several of my family members would probably be dead by now.

But way to move those goalposts, champ, it's almost as if I made a point about in countries where there are prohibitions on guns you can quite easily measure the effects having no guns will have on gun related deaths: They're very, very rare.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Cannot wait for the gunhaver speakeasys.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Being Roma myself I'm glad there are prohibitions on guns or myself and several of my family members would probably be dead by now.

But way to move those goalposts, champ, it's almost as if I made a point about in countries where there are prohibitions on guns you can quite easily measure the effects having no guns will have on gun related deaths: They're very, very rare.
But they don't cure death now do they? Also, you hate America.

I believe the desired solution - leaving aside the fact that filthy foreigners are below the notice of true American gun-havin' - would be for both the Roma, and the people who would like to attack the Roma, to have guns. They would therefore logically and fully come to the realization that neither of them could win due to equivalent armament, and come to a respectable, peaceful conversation over topics of mutual interest and concern. Furthermore, if the Roma were to - in some hypothetical situation - be shot up with guns, say from ambush or the like, it would be their fault for being insufficiently equipped.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cartouche posted:

Cannot wait for the gunhaver speakeasys.

At least until SWAT shows up.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Why bother engaging? Nothing's going to happen. Nothing's going to change. We can argue until we're blue in the face and nobody is going to change their opinion.
Hell, I'm done with this thread because someone literally said they would shoot federal agents doing their goddamn job and nobody gave a poo poo. I don't care how 'hyperbolic' anyone claims they were. They straight up said 'guys with bolt action rifles that're perfect for sniping attacks' would kill federal agents and then acted like them threatening the lives of others if somehow through some miraculous change, people's votes actually mattered on this and we got common sense gun control, was heroic. In fact acted like it was the right thing to do. Because that's the mindset of someone like that and I just. . .I don't know how to interact with someone like that. I don't know how to discuss with someone who would literally kill another human being because they don't get to play with a 'toy' that is meant to destroy or damage things. There is no point to discussion because I can't imagine myself ever being in that mindset where I would kill someone over something so stupid.

So whatever you wanna say, whatever you want to judge about me Sedan, go right ahead.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

At least until SWAT shows up.

Ah yes, the incoruptable police.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

E-Tank posted:

Stupid poo poo
That is not an argument anyone has made. You don't seem to understand the difference between laws that punish those engaged in actively harmful or dangerous behavior, and those that attempt to engage in prior restraint and prohibition.

Ddraig posted:

But then you have nations like Mexico and Brazil with strict gun control and shockingly high homicide rates. Your argument only makes sense if you strictly look at nations which agree with your theory.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

What is there even to engage about? No amount of arguments or evidence will ever make you give up your useless toys, so what worth is there in giving you any credit?

EDIT
Damnit, E-Tank

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cartouche posted:

Ah yes, the incoruptable police.

Good luck bribing every law enforcement agency, I guess.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

E-Tank posted:

Why bother engaging? Nothing's going to happen. Nothing's going to change. We can argue until we're blue in the face and nobody is going to change their opinion.
Hell, I'm done with this thread because someone literally said they would shoot federal agents doing their goddamn job and nobody gave a poo poo. I don't care how 'hyperbolic' anyone claims they were. They straight up said 'guys with bolt action rifles that're perfect for sniping attacks' would kill federal agents and then acted like them threatening the lives of others if somehow through some miraculous change, people's votes actually mattered on this and we got common sense gun control, was heroic. In fact acted like it was the right thing to do. Because that's the mindset of someone like that and I just. . .I don't know how to interact with someone like that. I don't know how to discuss with someone who would literally kill another human being because they don't get to play with a 'toy' that is meant to destroy or damage things. There is no point to discussion because I can't imagine myself ever being in that mindset where I would kill someone over something so stupid.

So whatever you wanna say, whatever you want to judge about me Sedan, go

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought this was more recent than it was. This and the Onion's "Another Gun Massacre Which We Couldn't Have Prevented" article. I don't know what to call them (and I'm sure someone will say 'cheap propaganda that unbellyfeels amerigunfree' etc.) but it's like this new evolution of gallows humor. But it's not quite humor, either.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

E-Tank posted:

So whatever you wanna say, whatever you want to judge about me Sedan, go right ahead.

Ah thank you, I was trying to think of the other comic that people post mindlessly.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ddraig posted:

"Europeans mainly kill groups other than black people."
"STOP MOVING THE GOALPOSTS!!!!!!"

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

That is not an argument anyone has made.

DeusExMachinima posted:

For once, you're within the neighborhood of being right. The majority would give up. But even if you waved a magic wand that made every semi-automatic vanish *and* 99.99% of American gun owners folded, you're still looking at a larger force than AQI at its peak, armed with bolt-action hunting rifles that just so happen to be great for sniper attacks.

DeusExMachinima posted:

No, I wouldn't condone shooting people merely for voting, even if it is for a victimless crime. Anyone picking up a gun to enforce said crime is fair game

DeusExMachinima posted:

And on occasion idiot feds sticking their poo poo where it don't belong will be found with 30 rounds shot into them. But mostly they'll know to keep their noses clean since they're probably worse shots than your average gunhumper and they know it. Life will go on just fine.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nessus posted:

I thought this was more recent than it was. This and the Onion's "Another Gun Massacre Which We Couldn't Have Prevented" article. I don't know what to call them (and I'm sure someone will say 'cheap propaganda that unbellyfeels amerigunfree' etc.) but it's like this new evolution of gallows humor. But it's not quite humor, either.

That particular Onion article has been reposted many, many times and in each time the only details that have changed are the amount of people killed and the location and it's still depressingly accurate.

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Europeans mainly kill groups other than black people."
"STOP MOVING THE GOALPOSTS!!!!!!"

You can scarcely comprehend anything beyond a pre-school level, I don't think you should have a gun, unless your sole purpose is to be in that pre-school, waiting for the next regularly scheduled mass killing to take place.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 24, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's no reason to get mad at gun advocates. As conservatives, they are unable to interact with one of their subalterns without being condescending. It's like water running downhill.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

There's no reason to get mad at gun advocates. As conservatives, they are unable to interact with one of their subalterns without being condescending. It's like water running downhill.

"Control minorities. Control the poor. You're conservative."

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Effectronica posted:

TFR, the last stronghold of conservative views.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

"Control minorities. Control the poor. You're conservative."

I don't think I've ever seen anybody in favor of gun control say that gun advocates should all be silenced im seriousness, but gun advocates regularly suggest that any attempts to introduce more gun control be made impossible. Clearly, clearly, that is what freedom really means.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ddraig posted:

You can scarcely comprehend anything beyond a pre-school level, I don't think you should have a gun, unless your sole purpose is to be in that pre-school, waiting for the next regularly scheduled mass killing to take place.

Rude. Do you have a actual rebuttal beyond insults and pearl clutching?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

C.M. Kruger posted:

Why do all you freaks talk like you're a USENET refugee?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anybody in favor of gun control say that gun advocates should all be silenced im seriousness, but gun advocates regularly suggest that any attempts to introduce more gun control be made impossible. Clearly, clearly, that is what freedom really means.

Well you said that their houses should be set on fire and they and their families gunned down when they run out. Wouldn't that cause them to become silent?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

Well you said that their houses should be set on fire and they and their families gunned down when they run out. Wouldn't that cause them to become silent?

Well, SedanChair, if expressing murder fantasies is unacceptable, then the "from my cold dead hands" crowd are just as guilty. If they weren't being serious, I will point out that I expressly said I was saying those things in response to all the fantasies of killing "gungrabbers". Once you've stepped off that pedestal you're standing on, I'll point out that I am referring to people who say they'll accept gun control of any kind only if it's guaranteed to never get harsher. If that was also not serious, then clearly everything pro-gun posters say is also a lie, and, ideally, they'd receive long probations for repeated dishonesty. I understand that some of this will be news to you, because most goons take pride in only reading posts of designated enemies.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Well, SedanChair, if expressing murder fantasies is unacceptable, then the "from my cold dead hands" crowd are just as guilty. If they weren't being serious, I will point out that I expressly said I was saying those things in response to all the fantasies of killing "gungrabbers". Once you've stepped off that pedestal you're standing on, I'll point out that I am referring to people who say they'll accept gun control of any kind only if it's guaranteed to never get harsher. If that was also not serious, then clearly everything pro-gun posters say is also a lie, and, ideally, they'd receive long probations for repeated dishonesty. I understand that some of this will be news to you, because most goons take pride in only reading posts of designated enemies.

So "I lied, I actually did say gun owners should be silenced?" Thanks, own up more quickly next time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

C.M. Kruger posted:

Considering that you don't comprehend what the original point was I don't really see the point, as either my point stands and you are an idiot, or you're arguing in bad faith in which case it will fall on deaf ears.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If we wanted to compare hyperbole in this thread, I'm seeing on the one hand "constitutional amendment to take Lejackal's guns, and only his" and on the other hand "heh heh, come and take 'em and the country becomes ungovernable (because of all the killing we will do in response)"

One of these things is more likely than the other, and indeed, may happen for literally accidental reasons at some point.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

So "I lied, I actually did say gun owners should be silenced?" Thanks, own up more quickly next time.

While you prepared your gotcha that relied on ignoring the word "seriously", I was preparing one where the gotcha was "pro-gun posters only care about scoring rhetorical points". Thank you.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Effectronica posted:

Why do all you freaks talk like you're a USENET refugee?

You know Effectronica I used to think you were just a bad poster but lately you've been coming off as being genuinely unhinged, or at least posting while extremely furious all the time. Like "I was saying those things in response to all the fantasies of killing 'gungrabbers'", that's not a post that's happened, there's not a post here in the thread fantasizing about that. You, meanwhile, are in here posting about gunning people down in the streets and burning houses down for having Wrong And Bad opinions. Look at your own posts, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747835&userid=176390, post after post about murder, or you're accusing others of being murder fetishists. When you aren't doing that you're accusing other posters of beating their wives or being retarded. What's wrong with you?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Effectronica posted:

Well, SedanChair, if expressing murder fantasies is unacceptable,
Yeah it kinda is and trying to deflect attention from your own shittiness by saying "well those cartoonish strawmen who aren't part of this discussion do it too!" is pretty funny.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah it kinda is and trying to deflect attention from your own shittiness by saying "well those cartoonish strawmen who aren't part of this discussion do it too!" is pretty funny.

someone literally talked about how hunting rifles make great sniper rifles w/r/t "gun grabbers" earlier in this thread

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Effectronica posted:

Not every ammosexual is conservative. A great way to reduce crime is to increase schooling and improve access to job markets with public transit. Got a job? Why risk the penalties from crime?

If everyone is to be equal everyone should be armed so those with physical strength can not terrorize the weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Literally The Worst posted:

someone literally talked about how hunting rifles make great sniper rifles w/r/t "gun grabbers" earlier in this thread

That's kinda their job. Deer don't just walk in your gun point blank.

• Locked thread