Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
:lol: Of course Hitler is a character with bad intentions towards our protagonists. Gundam :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Hey, I heard this was a nice Gundam series, but

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That gif is not indicative of the shows overall quality, at least so far

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

That gif is not indicative of the shows overall quality, at least so far

Also it's not really a major episode, so while that's hilariously cheap it's not entirely surprising considering how fantastic the big fights have been so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's like One Punch Man.

Atra is sometimes shown in a more simplistic style so the contrast with her fighting Gundams in hand to hand combat has greater comedic impact.

Simple, really.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kanos posted:

No joke, a show all about courtroom drama dealing with the awful war crimes stuff that is the general order of the day in most Gundam-style robot shows would be pretty awesome.

M'Quve goes on trial for the nuke incident.

One can imagine the war crimes trial for the designers of the GENESIS weapon for SEED being quite the spectacle, which is appropriate cause that thing is probably the single most evil weapon that's ever shown up in a Gundam series

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

One can imagine the war crimes trial for the designers of the GENESIS weapon for SEED being quite the spectacle, which is appropriate cause that thing is probably the single most evil weapon that's ever shown up in a Gundam series

Angel Halo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A dude was just talking about it in his Victory Gundam trip report in the megathread. Jesus that's a hosed up superweapon.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

After just finishing Victory, Angel Halo.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Schubalts posted:

I think that was more him freaking out about implants in general. "Foreign objects...!? :barf:"

Since he freaked out about implants in general, it makes me wonder if they're are gonna be some other types of hosed up cyborganics shown in the future.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

well I guess you're right, if only slightly so, GENESIS is also pretty hosed up, since it seems to take just long enough to kill someone for them to actually feel and notice it's effects(especially taking into account all the screaming that occurs in that scene), really when you get down to it, it's a needlessly cruel weapon even by Gundam standards

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

It makes sense for her as a character but man will I be glad when Kudelia stops finding new things to self-flagellate herself over.

Can't wait for her and Aida to interact in a future SRW game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ImpAtom posted:

It makes sense for her as a character but man will I be glad when Kudelia stops finding new things to self-flagellate herself over.

Yeah, it's getting a bit, I don't know, "strawman-y" now, the price of corn seems like something she might have made it her business to know, but at least Mika didn't seem so mean-spirited about informing her this time.

I'm guessing Hitler-tauche will be a simpering lackey to someone truly awful, who will subsequently throw him under the bus. Got to wonder what Tekkadan's blonde Char candidate will have to say come his inevitable betrayal, he's been getting overruled by Orga at every turn.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

drrockso20 posted:

well I guess you're right, if only slightly so, GENESIS is also pretty hosed up, since it seems to take just long enough to kill someone for them to actually feel and notice it's effects(especially taking into account all the screaming that occurs in that scene), really when you get down to it, it's a needlessly cruel weapon even by Gundam standards

Do you mean the Cyclops system? GENESIS kills people pretty quickly from what I recall.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Something that makes people mentally degrade to the point they can't feed themselves and then has them starve to death is more hosed up than something which kills people in a matter of minutes, no matter how unpleasant that death is, I think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, it's getting a bit, I don't know, "strawman-y" now, the price of corn seems like something she might have made it her business to know, but at least Mika didn't seem so mean-spirited about informing her this time.

I think it's just a little wearing because it's basically been all she's done so far. I think it'll really help when she actually does political things instead of getting lightly owned by Mika every time she speaks to him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's no reason why Kudelia would know about the corn prices, since that would go against her established characterization of only knowing about the general points of their situation, as opposed to the many minor details

Definitely something that can happen with activists irl

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tekkadan already going to space reminds me the conversation that Gundam is perfect at 46+ episodes, and I cannot imagine the glacial pacing this series would have if it had to stretch to 50.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

the price of corn seems like something she might have made it her business to know

She's a sheltered rich person with a maid. Why would she know how much farmers sell corn to wholesalers for?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 26, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She's a sheltered rich person with a maid. Why would she know how much farmers sell corn for to wholesalers?

yeah I'm a pretty avid political junky, but if you were to ask me the price of crops for stuff like rice and grains, I'd give you a blank stare.

I liked that touch.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...you know i feel like, if an actual super terrible calamity war did happen, the political map in the show does sorta make sense

europe would be royally hosed because all of its population and power base is in a comparatively small and dense place - it's probably the single easiest place in the world to ruin with nuclear weapons. makes sense that the more spread out, and also thrice as populous Africa would be a lot easier to rebound. i mean if Canberra and its surrounding vicinity is literally vaporized there's no telling how much of europe is a smoldering crater. in a similar vein the US is likely to be obliterated, and the base of power for that whole bloc is likely to actually be in south america. dunno how the whole canada situation worked out - i'd find it amusing, actually, if it was canada that annexed russia, but if the US is blown up then canada probably is too. russia's in something of a similar position to africa and south america, a big, resource-rich place but not as developed, full of secondary cities that would be spared nuclear catastrophe and be hella bumped up in prominence. To that end the center of power in the Asian union is likely to either be in India or like, Indonesia.

Basically it looks like to me that at some point, NATO got hosed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As a Canadian, it's hilarious that Canada joined hands with Russia isntead of the US. Our desire not to be Americans wins again.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
actually thinking about it, arbrau's probably more trade-based than anything else, melting ice caps mean the arctic ocean is probs about the same temperature as modern-day atlanta so suddenly random backwater places in siberia and yukon are habitable and comparatively prosperous

that, or santa claus decided the time was right to create a base of power to rule this post-disaster world with a merry iron fist

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Green Party took over and started it's reign of french eco-fascism.

(Arbre means Tree in french)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

As a Canadian, it's hilarious that Canada joined hands with Russia isntead of the US. Our desire not to be Americans wins again.

I'm imagining it's supposed to be Russia conquering Canada through Alaska, and the US not giving enough of a poo poo to ask for any of it back at war's end. :v:

MonsieurChoc posted:

(Arbre means Tree in french)

"Arbrau" isn't remotely French and looks like a German word, even if it isn't.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm imagining it's supposed to be Russia conquering Canada through Alaska, and the US not giving enough of a poo poo to ask for any of it back at war's end. :v:

Didn't the background information shown in the last episode essentially state that all the power blocks are artificial? I thought the rather unnatural borders were basically just a result of g-whatever telling the world that this is now how it is.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Caros posted:

Didn't the background information shown in the last episode essentially state that all the power blocks are artificial?

Not really:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

With the cooperation of Gjallarhorn, Earth is organised into four economic blocks in order to reconstruct the devastated Earth Sphere. These are the African Union, the Oceanian Federation, SAU, and Arbrau. Earth begins its post-war recovery under this new world order.

"With the cooperation of Gjallarhorn" = Gjallarhorn mediating between the various factions, most likely.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't know, Arbrau sounds like Arbre to me. :shrug:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So how long until we get Gundam (True Martian) Ethanol vs Gundam (Gjallarhorn) Battery? :colbert:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 26, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Now I am hoping for an IBO side story that is basically Operation Anchorage.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Gyra_Solune posted:

...you know i feel like, if an actual super terrible calamity war did happen, the political map in the show does sorta make sense

europe would be royally hosed because all of its population and power base is in a comparatively small and dense place - it's probably the single easiest place in the world to ruin with nuclear weapons. makes sense that the more spread out, and also thrice as populous Africa would be a lot easier to rebound. i mean if Canberra and its surrounding vicinity is literally vaporized there's no telling how much of europe is a smoldering crater. in a similar vein the US is likely to be obliterated, and the base of power for that whole bloc is likely to actually be in south america. dunno how the whole canada situation worked out - i'd find it amusing, actually, if it was canada that annexed russia, but if the US is blown up then canada probably is too. russia's in something of a similar position to africa and south america, a big, resource-rich place but not as developed, full of secondary cities that would be spared nuclear catastrophe and be hella bumped up in prominence. To that end the center of power in the Asian union is likely to either be in India or like, Indonesia.

Basically it looks like to me that at some point, NATO got hosed

Or it could be in the exact opposite direction and all the non-powerful areas are being dominated by the likes of the USA, China, Europe, etc. Just because the name has Africa in it doesn't mean they let Africans be in charge. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Or it could be in the exact opposite direction and all the non-powerful areas are being dominated by the likes of the USA, China, Europe, etc. Just because the name has Africa in it doesn't mean they let Africans be in charge. :v:

The Gundam equivalent of the Congo Free State.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Africa becoming a unified world power is one of those interesting ideas I wish sci-fi would use more of, since iirc the continent has an absolutely loving ridiculous amount of natural resources that are largely untapped because europeans have spent the last several centuries loving with the local politics specifically to prevent any of the countries from unifying and becoming an economic/political competitor

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mr. stefan posted:

Africa becoming a unified world power is one of those interesting ideas I wish sci-fi would use more of, since iirc the continent has an absolutely loving ridiculous amount of natural resources that are largely untapped because europeans have spent the last several centuries loving with the local politics specifically to prevent any of the countries from unifying and becoming an economic/political competitor

Go play Technobabylon. It's a fantastic cyberpunk adventure game that's set in an african city-state (Everybody goes there to invent and research because of relaxed laws on certain things).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Trinity, the 90s sci-fi rpg, had Africa as one of the future world powers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

mr. stefan posted:

Its a similar story with other areas that they just couldn't colonise to become the ethnic majority - India is a prime example, with local rulers that favoured European interests being rewarded, whilst simultaneously being encouraged to compete with each other. When independence happened, there were 650 'princely states' that had to become one country. Not surprising that things got... messy, for a while.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

The other problem with unifying Africa as I understand it is that historically establishing communications over long distances on that continent has been very difficult just due to the geography and low population density. There's also the problem of strong tribal or ethnic identities that aren't easily reconciled (hello Sudan). In the modern era the geographical problems can be overcome by technology so it's physically possible but the human problems remain kind of intractable.

And if we're talking about India then the Raj's divide and rule policy and the mess that was partition were certainly factors but let's not overlook the huge problem of religious conflict either.

Science fiction in general and Gundam in particular has in my opinion been way too quick to reduce the world to a handful of geopolitically implausible super-states. That's certainly a possible future (though not, I think, a likely one) but it comes up so consistently that it just feels like a shorthand to make the world look different/reduce the number of political actors to the minimum possible number.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lestaki posted:

The other problem with unifying Africa as I understand it is that historically establishing communications over long distances on that continent has been very difficult just due to the geography and low population density. There's also the problem of strong tribal or ethnic identities that aren't easily reconciled (hello Sudan). In the modern era the geographical problems can be overcome by technology so it's physically possible but the human problems remain kind of intractable.

And if we're talking about India then the Raj's divide and rule policy and the mess that was partition were certainly factors but let's not overlook the huge problem of religious conflict either.

Science fiction in general and Gundam in particular has in my opinion been way too quick to reduce the world to a handful of geopolitically implausible super-states. That's certainly a possible future (though not, I think, a likely one) but it comes up so consistently that it just feels like a shorthand to make the world look different/reduce the number of political actors to the minimum possible number.

IBO at least implies that the super-states are artificial constructs brought into being at the end of a barrel of a gun as a result of apocalyptic war, which is a far sight more plausible than "Each disparate ethnic and tribal group in Africa united to form a gigantic pan-African nation and then merged with all of Europe and the Europeans agreed to call the result the African Union".

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The europeans were intimidated by the power and majesty of the african people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I liked the blocs in 00 the most because they grouped together to cover the massive financial costs of the elevators, and the shared energy supplies bred stronger diplomatic ties, which is a fairly plausible sequence of events.

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's just a little wearing because it's basically been all she's done so far. I think it'll really help when she actually does political things instead of getting lightly owned by Mika every time she speaks to him.

I wish she'd been introduced with another person from the independence movement (I think we're finally seeing another one in episode five), honestly. She's important enough to have the government try to murder her and to be sent to Earth to rally support, but so unsure of herself that she loses faith in her role and considers being a pilot almost immediately after she finds out how harsh the government can be to her. She's kinda uninformed but somewhat important, and it'd be really nice to know what the rest of her political movement is like compared to her.

• Locked thread