Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
cool, i can throw all the dark spells at henry and use the other spells i've accumulated from random battles on tharja then. also butts to the bows thing, but he shall earn his place in the archer squad one day at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also the weak bow thing is kinda mitigated at the fact that he'll learn a skill that gives him a chance to instantly kill an enemy no matter how much damage he deals.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Also the weak bow thing is kinda mitigated at the fact that he'll learn a skill that gives him a chance to instantly kill an enemy no matter how much damage he deals.

jesus christ lon'qu really is the king of rng holy poo poo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Swordmaster is better for Lon'qu imo since he wants Swordfaire more than anything and Lethality is pretty unlikely

Henry is a surprisingly good Berserker

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Inigo wins and that ends voting on pretty much everything.

The final results:

Chrom!Morgan x Kellam!Nah

Henry!Owain x Donnel!Kjelle

Gregor!Laurent x MU!Lucina

Virion!Brady x Lon'Qu!Severa

Stahl!Yarne x Nobody because Panne should have a child that isn't a waste of space. (He'll probably end up paired up with the Avatar for Apotheosis

Libra!Inigo x Gaius!Noire

Vaike!Gerome x Frederick!Cynthia

All in all we've done a pretty good job. I've beaten the main body of the game now, so I'm doing the Spotpass paralogues before fighting Grima and then beginning the long Apotheosis grind. (Wherein I do Rogues and Redeemers 3 like a hundred times)

I'll be happy to take advice on what classes you want people to end up in, but I suspect you're sick of voting on everything by now.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zoran posted:

Lucina stuff from a few pages back

Okay, so my Sumia!Lucina married my +Str -Luck Robin. She has the exact skill set you mentioned, (Dual Strike+, Limit Breaker, Aether, Luna, Galeforce), and she's currently a Great Lord.

Robin is a Berserker with Limit Breaker, Armsthrift, and Axefaire with a forged Brave Axe. What are the other two skills I should have? Right now I have Rally Spectrum and Vengeance, but I'm not sure what I should put in its place.

On another note, I'm guessing I should pass Axefaire to Lucina!Morgan from her dad since she can't otherwise obtain it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sometimes I think this thread just goes on and on with people plotting out eugenics programs, who haven't touched the game in 3 months and aren't likely to again.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

5er posted:

Sometimes I think this thread just goes on and on with people plotting out eugenics programs, who haven't touched the game in 3 months and aren't likely to again.

Hey.

Sometimes we discuss who the best waifu and husbandos are.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

5er posted:

I bookmarked both this and the megathread and sometimes I click this one thinking it's the other because I'm not really paying attention

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Reinanigans posted:

Okay, so my Sumia!Lucina married my +Str -Luck Robin. She has the exact skill set you mentioned, (Dual Strike+, Limit Breaker, Aether, Luna, Galeforce), and she's currently a Great Lord.

Robin is a Berserker with Limit Breaker, Armsthrift, and Axefaire with a forged Brave Axe. What are the other two skills I should have? Right now I have Rally Spectrum and Vengeance, but I'm not sure what I should put in its place.

On another note, I'm guessing I should pass Axefaire to Lucina!Morgan from her dad since she can't otherwise obtain it.

Robin should get Aggressor if you have that DLC. Otherwise, the main weakness of Berserkers is that they have very low Skill and use axes, which means they have bad hit rates. All Berserkers want Hit Rate +20 if they can get it, with Prescience as well if they have room. Hex and Anathema are acceptable substitutes.

So if you have access to Aggressor, use Robin @ Berserker: LB/Aggressor/Axefaire/Hit Rate +20/Prescience or Hex or Armsthrift.
If not, then LB/Axefaire/Hit Rate +20/Prescience or Hex/Armsthrift is a nice set. Armsthrift's only effect is to save you money, so for actual battle purposes it's not a useful skill.

You might as well pass Axefaire to Morgan, yeah. She'll do well as a Wyvern Lord.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 28, 2015

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

5er posted:

I don't have a lot of free time, so even though I've had this game for years, I've been slowly plugging away at it, and I've never even attempted Apotheosis. I also like resetting when I feel like I've messed something up.

I really like seeing numbers go up. :colbert:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zoran posted:

Robin should get Aggressor if you have that DLC. Otherwise, the main weakness of Berserkers is that they have very low Skill and use axes, which means they have bad hit rates. All Berserkers want Hit Rate +20 if they can get it, with Prescience as well if they have room. Hex and Anathema are acceptable substitutes.

So if you have access to Aggressor, use Robin @ Berserker: LB/Aggressor/Axefaire/Hit Rate +20/Prescience or Hex or Armsthrift.
If not, then run LB/Axefaire/Hit Rate +20/Prescience or Hex/Armsthrift is a nice set. Armsthrift's only effect is to save you money, so for actual battle purposes it's not a useful skill.

You might as well pass Axefaire to Morgan, yeah. She'll do well as a Wyvern Lord.

Thanks for the quick reply! And yeah, I have the Dread Fighter DLC. I thought Aggressor only worked on the lead unit, but I guess it works on the support unit as long as it's the player turn?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I freely admit that I've spent probably twice as much time fiddling with my fancy spreadsheet as I have actually playing the game. But strategizing is a game in itself. :colbert: And I actually have played just about everything the game has to offer.

Ultimately there's no such thing as a best team, and there's nothing wrong with just pairing up your favorites. But when people are curious about what skills are valuable or what makes a good pairing in gameplay terms, I'm happy to try to help.

Reinanigans posted:

Thanks for the quick reply! And yeah, I have the Dread Fighter DLC. I thought Aggressor only worked on the lead unit, but I guess it works on the support unit as long as it's the player turn?

Yep. It's even better on support units because they attack twice as much and aren't affected by Aegis/Pavise.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

lol guys, my wiseassing wasn't meant to hit home or get personal :)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

5er posted:

No worries. :)

What I love about this game is that every time I think I've "got" it, I find something new. It's a lot like when I started learning about EVs and IVs in Pokémon.

Plus, its dialogue is so well written, which is why I'm not bothered that Fates is taking its time on its translation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

5er posted:

I actually thought this was the megathread when I fist read that comment and was confused for a second

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Reinanigans posted:

No worries. :)

What I love about this game is that every time I think I've "got" it, I find something new. It's a lot like when I started learning about EVs and IVs in Pokémon.

Plus, its dialogue is so well written, which is why I'm not bothered that Fates is taking its time on its translation.

It should be noted that fates is being done by treehouse and not 8-4, so the translation may not be as good (it'll still probably be good though.)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Junpei Hyde posted:

It should be noted that fates is being done by treehouse and not 8-4, so the translation may not be as good (it'll still probably be good though.)

I think Treehouse has a good pedigree, right? What have they localized lately?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

They're Nintendos in house team, so nearly everything by Nintendo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Reinanigans posted:

I think Treehouse has a good pedigree, right? What have they localized lately?

Most Nintendo stuff I'd imagine. I remember really enjoying New Leaf's dialogue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not recent, but they did do the translations for fe9 and 10

Treehouse is Nintendo's inhouse localization team and I've not touched much Nintendo stuff recently

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I knew they were in-house at Nintendo, but I remember people raving about a recent localization. Maybe Xenoblade or one of the funnier games...Mario & Luigi, maybe?

I hope they do as good a job with Fates as 8-4 did with Awakening. Henry wouldn't be nearly as awesome with a straight translation.

"Oh, hamburgers!"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good localization is important but the Japanese version had jokes as well

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Henry we got was cool and the Henry Japan got was also cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Japanese Henry seemed kinda lame to me

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's not recent, but they did do the translations for fe9 and 10

Treehouse is Nintendo's inhouse localization team and I've not touched much Nintendo stuff recently

Radiant Dawn still haunts me in how horrible it was. Like, I know that's not remotely possible but it was that bad.

Like, they must've had like 3 days to record everything. And paid 10 cents an hour.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Outside of the narrator (who wasn't that terrible) there were like 10 voiced lines in RD. It's not really surprising that they didn't put a whole lot of money into it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WrightOfWay posted:

Outside of the narrator (who wasn't that terrible) there were like 10 voiced lines in RD. It's not really surprising that they didn't put a whole lot of money into it.

20 minutes of the worst cutscenes I've seen until recently with Arc Rise Fantasia. "Foooorm up! Surround them allllllll! Don't let any ESCAAAAAAAAAAAPE!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tae posted:

20 minutes of the worst cutscenes I've seen until recently with Arc Rise Fantasia. "Foooorm up! Surround them allllllll! Don't let any ESCAAAAAAAAAAAPE!

It's only a few lines but judging from the fates trailer it'll probably be OK VA wise.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Grima died last night after a failed attack from Inigo and Noire left Noire next to Grima on 10 hp with Grima on 9 hp.

He then went to finish her off, but Inigo managed to Dual Guard her and then she murdered Grima with a Luna Brave lance attack that lopped off the remaining health.

Robin chose not to sacrifice herself because she knew she had Outrealm content to do and she wanted Grima alive for Advance Wars: Grima edition.

So without further ado, the thread's Epilogue:

quote:

Many wrote of Robin;s legendary exploits, but accounts of her origins and character varied. Scholars, poets, and bards agreed on one thing alone—she loved her husband, Chrom, above all else.

As Ylisse's new knight captain, Frederick took charge of keeping the peace and training new recruits. His wife, Sumia, traded her lance for a peaceful stretch of pasture and raised a happy group of pegasi.

Virion returned home to Rosanne, where he was labeled a traitor and a coward, or else ignored entirely. But his wife, Maribelle, treated the people fairly and equally, and in time, they learned to forgive him.

Stahl continued his service as an Ylissean knight and led crucial missions across the realm. His scatterbrained gaffes sometimes got on Panne's nerves, but the two still made a happy life together.

Vaike returned to the streets that raised him and was welcomed as a hero and brother to all. Still, the children were fonder of Cherche, who spent her time feeding and clothing orphans everywhere.

Nowi tried living away from humankind but soon longed for their company and set off to find her old comrades around the world. Her husband's name has been lost to history.

Donnel returned to his tiny village and built a happy life with his mother and his wife, Sully. The latter established a militia much like the Shepherds to arm the villagers against the threat of brigands.

Gaius never lost his sweet tooth, though he ultimately returned to less savory enterprises. Meanwhile, his wife, Tharja, set up shop and hexed people for a living. The pair were said to get many odd looks

Lon’qu returned to Regna Ferox and served as Basilio's right-hand man. Cordelia exhibited her usual resilience toward Ferox’s cold winters and enjoyed a peaceful, happy life with her husband

After the war, Gregor briefly sank into a life of excess, but when his wife began to treat him like part of the woodwork, he resumed work as a sellsword. Miriel helped out by researching Gregor's targets.

Many an unfortunate child found joy in the small orphanage Libra and his wife built after the war. The children especially loved Olivia's vibrant dances, which often filled them with glee.

Henry settled down with Lissa and turned out to be a surprisingly good father. Their newborn son, however, developed a notably bizarre personality, in no small part because of his colorful parents.

Longing to meet his mother's intellectual standards, Laurent took his wife on an expedition around the world. Lucina reunited with Tiki and Naga and thanked them for helping to usher in peace

Owain set off on a lengthy quest with Kjelle to "stay his sword hand." ...The idea was actually Kjelle's, and he was just along while she trained, but she had the grace to let his delusions continue.

Gerome and Cynthia were married and settled down near Wyvern Valley. Astride her pegasus, Cynthia labored endlessly to concoct more dashing ways for her husband to make an entrance.

Brady left the priesthood to become the world's scariest violinist. Severa would roll her eyes and gripe about the noise, but the dew in her eyes after a touching melody was perhaps the more honest critique.

Inigo traveled the world, ever ready with a smile or a solution when trouble started to brew. For better or worse, he and Noire were said to be a good match, trading doses of glee for doses of glum.

Morgan's memory never returned, but he didn't seem to miss it much and lived happily with Nah. Later, scholars would speculate he had come from a different future than the other children..

Yarne died on the way back to his home planet.

Anyway, I'll probably post updates of how I'm doing with DLC, right now I'm going through Rogues and Redeemers 3 which is still as much of a bastard to deal with as I remember it being to get Limit Breaker tomes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Historians clearly took creative liberties with Several and Kjelle there, but hey, what're you gonna do?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Junpei Hyde posted:

Historians clearly took creative liberties with Several and Kjelle there, but hey, what're you gonna do?

In 1000 years, Ylissean Tumblr will right this wrong

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yarne died on the way back to his home planet.

:lol:

I've been support grinding, and it's true -- Libra and Olivia are cute with everybody. I almost don't even want to continue grinding supports because I've zeroed those two out. :kiddo:

Is it just me, or are the male confession scenes way more ridiculous than the female ones? "Baby, you're a river of chocolate in an ocean of cream. I'm gonna steal your heart on a daily basis." :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raserys posted:

In 1000 years, Ylissean Tumblr will right this wrong
in defense of gay marriage:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Quoting for cute.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
but howd they have children