Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I do know that I ... dont know how I feel about this episode
It was very un-who-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I'm not just saying that, either; it looked really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It looked good though :v:

Yeah, can't fault the visuals echoplex v:shobon:v

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DeafNote posted:

It was very un-who-ish

It turns out it's just an extended launching platform for the big budget remake of Downtime

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It turns out it's just an extended launching platform for the big budget remake of Downtime

It came off a bit like the disguised pilot for a UNIT programme. Like that one episode of Supernatural that was meant to function as the pilot for a spin-off show about vampires?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Honestly that seemed like a very bad Spooks episode, with the Islamic extremists replaced by Zygons and the Doctor and Clara shoehorned in

The actual visuals were good and that; it was just a terrible script and that's a shame. Who knows, part 2 might get better!!!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Also I knew I should have skipped this week and watched both parts next weekend
at least, no matter how bad it gets then, it would all be done at once

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

Honestly that seemed like a very bad Spooks episode, with the Islamic extremists replaced by Zygons and the Doctor and Clara shoehorned in

Did you ever see the one episode of Spooks where the terrorist-of-the-week was an Anglican minister who was training the drug addicts in his rehab programme to go and shoot imams while yelling "DEATH TO THE ENEMIES OF CHRIST!"? I'm fairly sure it was more subtle than this was. :v:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I forget
did Zygons leave hairy smouldering sparkling corpsepiles in the old series?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

It came off a bit like the disguised pilot for a UNIT programme. Like that one episode of Supernatural that was meant to function as the pilot for a spin-off show about vampires?

Oh absolutely, plenty of adventures of [new main characters] with occasional stuff happening with [old main characters], and because you want the new characters to seem smart and dynamic you have the old ones be passive idiots the whole time.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I thought that was okay. I liked Osgood in it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

If so it looks like it'll be as successful as that awful episode was, ugh.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
This may be the vodka talking, but I thought that episode was ok to good. I enjoyed it as 'fun' TV, and it was so much better than the worst episodes. I'm thinking of the olympics episode there.
It may also be that I love Peter capaldi.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doug Sisk posted:

It may also be that I love Peter capaldi.

I feel like he was underserved by this story.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
He didnt do a lot after a while

But again I dont think its the worst episode ever

Still, fool me twice, shame on Harness

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In the interest of positivity, I must say the beginning certainly reminded me that Day of the Doctor was a fantastic story!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Hey I wanna be positive too!

Uhm
..At least that President of the World thing in DeathinHeaven now looks less pointless...right?

And Osgood wasnt annoying

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hang on, what beheading?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I...I don't want to review this one, guys. :eng99:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

DeafNote posted:

It was very un-who-ish

Agreed - everything was off about it, even considering Clara was a zygon. They even had the doctor being OK with them killing a whole village as long as they keep a couple alive for questioning.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

CobiWann posted:

We will also accept an audio-review of same or higher value. (so anything else!)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I quite liked the political commentary in this one. Was a touch heavy-handed though.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not just saying that, either; it looked really good.

Thanks! Visually I think it's one of our strongest and pretty much every set was huge amounts of work (literally everything in the Chuch set was printed - the boards, the tables etc)

I will say that that episode was more blunt/on the nose on paper, so I thought the final version was an improvement.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I do think it would be better to do this one once the second part has aired anyway.... though that just might make things worse for you!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Just do what Pitchfork did when Jet released Shine On. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Why bother giving UNIT guns if they are all going to stand around like lemons and get vaporized without putting up any sort of a fight, those stupid soldiers at the church deserved to be atomized, this was a terrible episode all in all.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Just do what Pitchfork did when Jet released Shine On. :v:

http://www.theonion.com/article/pitchfork-gives-music-68-2278

echoplex posted:

I will say that that episode was more blunt/on the nose on paper, so I thought the final version was an improvement.

Wow

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
What was Kate (or Zygon-Kate, I guess) holding up when she reported in to Zygon-Clara that UNIT had been neutralized?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that was just loving rubbish. UNIT are just poo poo, I hope the Zygons kill them all. Osgood especially. And then a mass suicide because the Zygons are also poo poo.

Evil Clara was ok. Next episode should just be her kicking rear end.

It all looked very nice at least. And it's good to see that Nicola Murray found a new job.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This story is, so far, incredibly tone deaf. I'm sure the author intended it as a love letter to the fans, it just turned out Enterprise style.

Oh hey what's this,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p036mtq1

"A Love Letter to Doctor Who Fandom"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

McDragon posted:

Well that was just loving rubbish. UNIT are just poo poo, I hope the Zygons kill them all. Osgood especially. And then a mass suicide because the Zygons are also poo poo.

They pretty much did kill all of UNIT, with no resistance even, they must have been carrying Nerf guns or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Paul Cornell posted:

.@mrpeterharness That was epic! Brilliant, edgy, stuff.

Well I guess we know who to blame that Delta review on

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ok, let's change it up a bit.

Halloween night. Scariest Doctor Who episode?

For me, tie between Midnight and The Brain of Morbius, with The Chimes of Midnight thrown in for good measure.

Tonlim
Jan 4, 2014
Seeing Osgood again was pretty nice, but other than that the episode was way too on the nose and reliant on character stupidity for my taste.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just a very few The Zygon Invasion gifs

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Ok, let's change it up a bit.

Halloween night. Scariest Doctor Who episode?

For me, tie between Midnight and The Brain of Morbius, with The Chimes of Midnight thrown in for good measure.

Fury From the Deep

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That was...well, I really liked Kill the Moon, so I'll give it til the next episode, but it doesn't seem like there's anything worth salvaging here. The Islamic overtones would be perfectly fine if basically all the Zygons we saw weren't evil; having them be evil mustache twirlers just makes it all REALLY uncomfortable. I have to believe that there's something more going on here, if only because I can't believe that the group of soldiers going into the church could possibly be written that stupidly.

The next episode title suggests something really interesting, assuming it's not just in reference to the toxin.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

echoplex posted:

Christ almighty. I'm struggling to think how less subtle it was in the original draft. Good job on the sets BTW.
It seems needless to say it, but goddamn the writing in this is...far from good. Nothing worse than the plot making characters do dumb things because it requires them to be idiots to work.

Jerusalem posted:

Just a very few The Zygon Invasion gifs

Nice :haw:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 1, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Outside of the lake one, the Doctor hasn't really done much this series has he?

Dalek two parter: His presence lets Davros do his scheme, but his scheme foils itself without any further intervention
Viking story: Made a girl invulnerable after she was killed, but she wouldn't have been in a position to be killed if the Doctor and Clara hadn't been there
Seventeenth Century Story: Gives Arya a push in the right direction to save the day
UNIT: Just kind of there, I can't actually remember anything he does other than watch while UNIT are rubbish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... am I a simple person or just hopelessly partisan for liking (aspects of) that? Don't get me wrong, the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, but I think (with a ton of caveats) that its heart is in the right place.

Like, "you can't just start treating them like monsters and blowing them up, most of them just want peace and you're playing into the hands of the extremists by accepting their war." I like that the Doctor basically said that. I think that's cool.

Things like, "Protect it from the scary monsters. Also the Zygons." were great too.

It occurs to me that I've just been assuming that this whole thing is a blatant setup for a pro-Zygon, let's-get-along message. But not everyone seems to think that.

So serious question: To everyone shaking their head at how blunt this episode is, is it because you see it as a blatant Islamic extremism allegory with a trite PC let's-get-along message, or is it because you see it as a blatant Islamic extremism allegory with the Muslim analogs as literal monsters?

I had assumed it was the former, but I just want to be clear.

• Locked thread