Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Anyone point out the teacher who called the cops on her was black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'm guessing you aren't from the USA or are old enough that teachers could touch kids when you were in school without being fired and groups of parents calling for a public execution.

Because back then you could be sure the teacher was white and a Christian.

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'm guessing you aren't from the USA or are old enough that teachers could touch kids when you were in school without being fired and groups of parents calling for a public execution.

When i was in first grade we had one teacher that would just lift you up by your shirt collar and physically carry you to the office like that if you were bad lol

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ArbitraryC posted:

Im sure if kim davis clung to a desk as an officer tried to pull her away it would have looked dramatic too.

:lol: if you think the police would have laid a finger on Kim Davis had she chosen to not go peacefully, much less tossed her around the clerk of courts office like a rag doll.

While we're on the topic I would point out that she is free despite still being in contempt of court (modified marriage licenses despite having been specifically told not to by a judge), there's a different set of rules for a middle-aged white conservative woman vs a teenage black girl. You do realize that the student in this case is likely to face felony assault on an officer and resisting arrest charges, yet Kim Davis can merrily ignore the ruling of a federal judge without consequence.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
When i was like 10 and acting out cause my dad had recently died i had a particularly bad day that ended in getting forcibly carried to the principals office by two teachers like a rug but sadly it wasn't a socially charged civil rights issue and everyone involved just acknowledged i was being a poo poo. Now teachers aren't allowed to do that and police are the only option.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Geoj posted:

:lol: if you think the police would have laid a finger on Kim Davis had she chosen to not go peacefully, much less tossed her around the clerk of courts office like a rag doll.
You are absolutely delusional, yes the police will force you to come with them if they need you to. They won't just say "okay you wait right here I'll try again tomorrow"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Davis left peacefully because she knew she done wrong. This girl wasn't going to get up for some LEO when she didn't violate any law in her municipality.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure teachers are allowed to carry you if necessary. Hell corporal punishment is still legal in 19 states.

The notion that if a teacher even lays 1 finger on a student they'll get sued/arrested seems wrong to me. Seems like some conservative rhetoric.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Forums be eating posts...

ArbitraryC posted:

You are absolutely delusional, yes the police will force you to come with them if they need you to. They won't just say "okay you wait right here I'll try again tomorrow"

Yeah there's a difference between forcing someone and slamming them into the ground; sorry. I've seen police apprehend struggling people just fine, and I've seen them slam a person into the ground and repeatedly hit them in the face.

You're talking as if every single use of police force is equivalent and that's just wrong. If the cop in question just grabbed the girl's arm and steadily pulled her up and outta the desk chair it would have been fine. Instead he decided to flip the whole desk and drag her.

Again I can't believe the loving sheriff himself said 'yeah this was way too much' to the point that he said he felt like throwing up after seeing the video but somehow people are STILL defending the officer's actions. Police *are* capable of doing wrong, you know.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Forums be eating posts...

Yeah there's a difference between forcing someone and slamming them into the ground; sorry. I've seen police apprehend struggling people just fine, and I've seen them slam a person into the ground and repeatedly hit them in the face.

You're talking as if every single use of police force is equivalent and that's just wrong. If the cop in question just grabbed the girl's arm and steadily pulled her up and outta the desk chair it would have been fine. Instead he decided to flip the whole desk and drag her.
Have you even read my posts? I said he used excessive force and am glad he was fired, what im debating is the few idiots who seem to think they shouldn't have even tried to eject her from class for violating school policy and that any force is unreasonable.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Have you even read my posts? I said he used excessive force and am glad he was fired, what im debating is the few idiots who seem to think they shouldn't have even tried to eject her from class for violating school policy and that any force is unreasonable.

If you are arguing this point please say what your arguments are again right now.

Really? No one is saying that?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Presently nonsense and geoj but ive seen several other posters reflect the sentiment

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Does anybody know how I can add funny sounds like the slide whistle and bike horn to a youtube

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also the slew of people who think that the end game of authority is using force for compliance is some sort of dystopian fascist future rather than something everyone accepts as a necessity for society to function.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

When i was like 10 and acting out cause my dad had recently died i had a particularly bad day that ended in getting forcibly carried to the principals office by two teachers like a rug but sadly it wasn't a socially charged civil rights issue and everyone involved just acknowledged i was being a poo poo. Now teachers aren't allowed to do that and police are the only option.

Was it done because you whipped out a Gameboy for 3 seconds before apologizing?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Also the slew of people who think that the end game of authority is using force for compliance is some sort of dystopian fascist future rather than something everyone accepts as a necessity for society to function.

Na

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

yea and there is also escalation of force, doesn't go from asking to throwing a bitch on the ground and dragging her by her hair like this some flintstone poo poo

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Someone who really doesn't give a poo poo about education isn't going care if they are told to leave class. Hell, they'd probably appreciate the offer. The fact that this girl (just entered into I think a foster home the day before btw) thought it was ludicrous that she was being told to leave class makes it a lot more likely that school is important to her.

In all my time in school I can only recall twice where a teacher made someone leave the class. One was a kid making fart noises and throwing airplanes. The other was a kid in my college didn't have proof that he had his rubella shots and the medical department told him to leave until he had proof from his doctor.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is saying she didn't break a rule (no cell phones in class is reasonable). I think you just gotta look at it from the girl's point of view and make believe you were in her seat. Your outside life is poo poo (just entered into foster care) and you accidentally take out your phone as you are taking your laptop out of your bag. The teacher sees this and demands the phone. Would you give it to the teacher? I wouldn't and I'm a huge puss. Anyway, you immediately apologize and say it was a mistake. But that's not good enough. Then the teacher demands you leave the entire class for that? THEN the teacher refuses to just loving drop it and calls in school staff and a loving cop? I'd refuse to get up out of a combination of principle and shock.

The teacher is a loving lunatic. I am actually more annoyed with the teacher than the cop, because I don't even know if the cop knew why he was removing her. Imagine how stubborn the teacher had to be to not just give it the gently caress up and let class proceed and deal with punishing her later.

There's like 50 different punishments the teacher could have doled out that weren't making the girl leave. I've seen people cheat on tests and not get kicked out of class.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 1, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Melmac posted:

Someone who really doesn't give a poo poo about education isn't going care if they are told to leave class. Hell, they'd probably appreciate the offer. The fact that this girl (just entered into I think a foster home the day before btw) thought it was ludicrous that she was being told to leave class makes it a lot more likely that school is important to her.

In all my time in school I can only recall twice where a teacher made someone leave the class. One was a kid making fart noises and throwing airplanes. The other was a kid in my college didn't have proof that he had his rubella shots and the medical department told him to leave until he had proof from his doctor.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is saying she didn't break a rule (no cell phones in class is reasonable). I think you just gotta look at it from the girl's point of view and make believe you were in her seat. Your outside life is poo poo (just entered into foster care) and you accidentally take out your phone as you are taking your laptop out of your bag. The teacher sees this and demands the phone. Would you give it to the teacher? I wouldn't and I'm a huge puss. Anyway, you immediately apologize and say it was a mistake. But that's not good enough. Then the teacher demands you leave the entire class for that? THEN the teacher refuses to just loving drop it and calls in school staff and a loving cop? I'd refuse to get up out of a combination of principle and shock.

The teacher is a loving lunatic. I am actually more annoyed with the teacher than the cop, because I don't even know if the cop knew why he was removing her. Imagine how stubborn the teacher had to be to not just give it the gently caress up and let class proceed and deal with punishing her later.

There's like 50 different punishments the teacher could have doled out that weren't making the girl leave. I've seen people cheat on tests and not get kicked out of class.

What's so frustrating is that the cop and teacher did more to disrupt the class than the girl did. If they actually gave a poo poo about the students they would have just let it go.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ArbitraryC posted:

I see you completely passed on the part about Kim Davis still being in contempt of court and not being forcibly removed from office.

Looks like the justice system is certainly saying "OK, you do whatever you want even if it means violating multiple court orders and we'll just pretend like it isn't happening" in her case.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
actually disrupting a class in SC is a crime, no joke

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax
kim davis and jefferson davis have a lot in common tbh

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Why not just give up the phone till end of class though i dont get it, if your not going to keep using it then you shouldnt have a problem letting the teacher hold onto it? When my classes had exams the teacher made everyone put their cellphone in a box, no one seemed to give a poo poo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Why should you have to give your personal property to someone just because they ask for it?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ArbitraryC posted:

Oh so you were put into a foster home?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
hm yes let me hand over a device that holds literally every private and personal facet of my existence right over to my crazy power-tripping teacher

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

City of Tampa posted:

actually disrupting a class in SC is a crime, no joke

Disturbing Schools Law for South Carolina
SECTION 12. Section 16-17-420 of the 1976 Code
(A) It shall be unlawful:
(1) For any person willfully or unnecessarily (a) to interfere with or to
disturb in any way or in any place the students or teachers of any school or
college in this State, (b) to loiter about such school or college premises or
(c) to act in an obnoxious manner thereon; or (2) For any person to (a)
enter upon any such school or college premises or (b) loiter around the
premises, except on business, without the permission of the principal or
president in charge.
(B) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty
of a misdemeanor and, on conviction thereof, shall pay a fine of not more
than one thousand dollars or be imprisoned in the county jail for not more
than ninety days.
(C) The summary courts are vested with jurisdiction to hear and dispose of cases involving a violation of this section. If the person is a child as defined by Section 63-19-20, jurisdiction must remain vested in
the Family Court." 

lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
if we have cops wandering around (even in high schools?) looking for "crimes", why don't we have firemen wandering around looking for fires?

oh yeah, because they would start a bunch of fires

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm sure that law is applied in a very fair and judicious manner.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I doubt it applies to a student briefly taking out a cell phone.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

City of Tampa posted:

if we have cops wandering around (even in high schools?) looking for "crimes", why don't we have firemen wandering around looking for fires?

oh yeah, because they would start a bunch of fires

This is a serious thing.

A disproportionate amount of arsonists are also firefighters.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Methanar posted:

This is a serious thing.

A disproportionate amount of arsonists are also firefighters.

exactly. we solve this poo poo by making the loving cops stay in the loving cop building until they are called. and we stop judging their performance by how many "crimes" they "stop"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

City of Tampa posted:

exactly. we solve this poo poo by making the loving cops stay in the loving cop building until they are called. and we stop judging their performance by how many "crimes" they "stop"

Actually I'd be fine with the police actively patrolling the streets if the laws were applied equally, and we didn't treat an officer getting a week's paid suspension or merely being fired as equivalent to anyone else being criminally charged, prosecuted, sent to prison and/or fined several thousand dollars.

It's almost like law enforcement behaves the way they do because they know they won't be held accountable for their actions :iiam:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

This cop is bad and these tactics have no place in modern police forces against nonviolent reisistors or in schools

But seriously though, put your loving phone away

Teachers should snatch that poo poo right out of their hands and hold the phones until their parents come to get them and use that chance to tell the parents how lovely their kid is at following rules

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Melmac posted:

That could be true but the more likely explanation is that the girl either has ODD or was otherwise manifesting ODD-like symptoms and refused to be ejected "on principle". She probably wanted to stay in class like how a child wants to play with a toy they haven't touched in months as soon as someone else starts playing with it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Commie NedFlanders posted:

This cop is bad and these tactics have no place in modern police forces against nonviolent reisistors or in schools

But seriously though, put your loving phone away

Teachers should snatch that poo poo right out of their hands and hold the phones until their parents come to get them and use that chance to tell the parents how lovely their kid is at following rules

She did put her phone away and she has no parents.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
kids didn't really have phones when I was a kid. Like, some of us had a little ancient cellphone or whatever but it's not like you could do anything fun on those so no one used them for anything and they weren't standard issue like you see today

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the trump tutelage posted:

That could be true but the more likely explanation is that the girl either has ODD or was otherwise manifesting ODD-like symptoms and refused to be ejected "on principle". She probably wanted to stay in class like how a child wants to play with a toy they haven't touched in months as soon as someone else starts playing with it.

oh yea i forgot that they made it a literal disorder to not suck authority dick lol

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

Actually I'd be fine with the police actively patrolling the streets if the laws were applied equally, and we didn't treat an officer getting a week's paid suspension or merely being fired as equivalent to anyone else being criminally charged, prosecuted, sent to prison and/or fined several thousand dollars.

It's almost like law enforcement behaves the way they do because they know they won't be held accountable for their actions :iiam:

yeah also I'd like one of those replicator machines from Star Trek and a unicorn to ride around on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

also cell phones should be barred in schools there's no reason to allow them

• Locked thread