Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hate Speech: legal or not?
I'm from America and it should be legal.
From America, illegal.
Other first world country, it should be legal.
Other first world country, illegal.
Developing country, keep it legal.
Developing country, illegal.
View Results

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Sharkie posted:

If emotional harm counts the why do you trivialize it by calling it "hurt feelings" and "being offended"? And with

To be fair, scientists are unsure as to whether crab monsters actually are capable of feeling pain. Maybe it's just a foreign concept to him.

natetimm posted:

This post is very offensive and stereotypical in regards to crab persons. I'll have you know it's hate speech.

lol nice try. i'll just quote myself and if you answer, no skin off my back, and no skin on yours.

Rollofthedice posted:

So in order to be objectively justified in committing some sort of prohibitive action, one has to have solid, objective proof that committing that action will bring about an outcome they consider to be beneficial. Subjectively beneficial. Got it.

I imagine it really is very easy to dismiss laws implementing hate speech when you think that the only effect of hate speech is to offend people, and not to push them into committing harmful acts upon themselves or others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
natetimm for someone who screams about fee-fees you sure do make some retarded rear end arguments from emotion that aren't actually based in reality

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rebecca-ann-sedwick-suicide-2-arrests-made-in-death-of-bullied-florida-girl/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/a-ninth-teenager-since-last-september-has-committed-suicide#.jln6KRxPm

There is no such thing as emotional harm.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 2, 2015

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The very root of that argument is that bad ideas should be banned from public discourse. Nevermind the fact that freedom of speech and public discourse is how many of these oppressed groups managed to engineer their upswing, let's neuter these tools as soon as we get the chance!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In general the majority group is going to reject the concept of hate speech until the shoe is on the other foot so the responses in this thread are not surprising.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

This already falls under harassment and stalking laws. If you're going to post links to support your argument, at least find one that's relevant.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Good thing the feelings of rich white people and their stooges are less important than the rights of everyone else or chanting "gently caress the police!" might be a criminal speech rally.

There is no war but class war.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

The very root of that argument is that bad ideas should be banned from public discourse. Nevermind the fact that freedom of speech and public discourse is how many of these oppressed groups managed to engineer their upswing, let's neuter these tools as soon as we get the chance!

Why are you pretending to care about minority groups after making a joke about their deaths? That ship has sailed, man, you don't get to pretend to be on the side of the oppressed after laughing at their corpses.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

natetimm posted:

Public threats and private website comments are not the same thing thanks everyone for playing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey natetimm, do you remember that time you argued yourself into a corner where it would be "evil" for Walmart to refuse to stock someones collection of drawn child rape fantasies?

P.S. You are a monstrously mutated clownfish in human form.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Who What Now posted:

Why are you pretending to care about minority groups after making a joke about their deaths? That ship has sailed, man, you don't get to pretend to be on the side of the oppressed after laughing at their corpses.

Look, I'm completely used to the fact that someone is going to trot out a victim of something and claim I'm some sort of monster when I point out that they're fairly transparently enabling a moral panic by doing so. "Think of the children" is a tired old trope of an argument dragged out for defense of bad laws since forever.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

7c Nickel posted:

Hey natetimm, do you remember that time you argued yourself into a corner where it would be "evil" for Walmart to refuse to stock someones collection of drawn child rape fantasies?

:wow:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

natetimm posted:

This already falls under harassment and stalking laws. If you're going to post links to support your argument, at least find one that's relevant.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

yes you're right saying "niggers are soulless beings shaped from the mud and given an unholy semblance of life by satan himself" is exactly the same as arguing for equal rights

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

"According to other articles, the parents moved their daughter to another school because of the bullying going on against her. Then the lovely children at school resorted to cyberbullying because their target was no longer readily available to them in person. The parents were trying to help her in every way they could."

Yeah that definitely sounds like hate speech and totally not specifically targeted harassment and threats which no one has said should be legal.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

7c Nickel posted:

I don't think that went down the same way you're describing. You can dredge it up if you want.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

7c Nickel posted:

no, do tell

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dude, you're using a dead kid as an argument for laws that don't even cover her situation.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

Look, I'm completely used to the fact that someone is going to trot out a victim of something and claim I'm some sort of monster when I point out that they're fairly transparently enabling a moral panic by doing so. "Think of the children" is a tired old trope of an argument dragged out for defense of bad laws since forever.

You've already made it abundantly clear that you don't think the deaths of disadvantaged minorities have any value, you don't need to explain that any further.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

natetimm posted:

http://nypost.com/2015/04/10/bullied-transgender-teen-commits-suicide/

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2015/05/07/wisconsin-trans-teen-bullied-femininity-dies-suicide

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Who What Now posted:

You've already made it abundantly clear that you don't think the deaths of disadvantaged minorities have any value, you don't need to explain that any further.

Hahaha, this is such a transparently bad gotcha.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

dogg you literally responded to "what about lgbt teens who commit suicide every year" with 'think of the children'

you got yourself

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Again, covered by harassment laws. The teens you're linking are already victims of crimes. Making it extra more illegal is going to do what, exactly? If anything, the advocating should be for stricter enforcement of what we already have on the books.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Literally The Worst posted:

dogg you literally responded to "what about lgbt teens who commit suicide every year" with 'think of the children'

you got yourself

Because it's a transparent appeal to emotion designed to make anyone who has an opposing opinion look bad. It's a cheap tactic using dead kids to argue a point and I treated it exactly as it should have been treated.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

natetimm posted:

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2014/11/24/texas-teen-tragically-commits-suicide-after-relentless-bullying/

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

natetimm posted:

This is hysterical bullshit. Nobody ever died from hate speech.

hate speech can definitely lay the foundation for violence, though.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

natetimm posted:

Again, covered by harassment laws. The teens you're linking are already victims of crimes. Making it extra more illegal is going to do what, exactly? If anything, the advocating should be for stricter enforcement of what we already have on the books.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you have no idea what hate crime laws are and why America has hate crime sentencing enhancements.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

natetimm posted:

Because it's a transparent appeal to emotion designed to make anyone who has an opposing opinion look bad. It's a cheap tactic using dead kids to argue a point and I treated it exactly as it should have been treated.

"I treated the deaths of people bullied and harassed into taking their own lives as they should be treated; by laughing at them." -Crabman, TYOOL 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

no its an actual, visible effect of hate speech that you should consider, and instead you just made a jackoff motion while continuing to talk about how restricting speech is actually bad for minorities

gently caress off, twit

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

crabcakes66 posted:

"According to other articles, the parents moved their daughter to another school because of the bullying going on against her. Then the lovely children at school resorted to cyberbullying because their target was no longer readily available to them in person. The parents were trying to help her in every way they could."

Yeah that definitely sounds like hate speech and totally not specifically targeted harassment and threats which no one has said should be legal.

Oh look another crab person :v:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
How is making it illegal for idiots to post poo poo on the internet going to stop teens from being bullied and killing themselves when the bullying they are experiencing is already illegal? What is happening is already a crime. Using the faces of dead children to try and enact authoritarian bullshit is way more disgusting than any sort of ambivalence I've displayed to being beaten over the head with it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

natetimm posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246896/Jessica-Laney-16-committed-suicide-internet-trolls-taunted-told-kill-herself.html

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ban everything until no kid ever dies again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

maybe if we punish people, for treating minorities like poo poo until they kill themselves, specifically because they're minorities, we can finally establish that that poo poo is not acceptable in america

just a ~crazy thought~

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

sudo rm -rf posted:

hate speech can definitely lay the foundation for violence, though.

So can regular speech. Or a fart. Or bad driving. Or nothing at all, just random violence.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

natetimm posted:

How is making it illegal for idiots to post poo poo on the internet going to stop teens from being bullied and killing themselves when the bullying they are experiencing is already illegal? What is happening is already a crime. Using the faces of dead children to try and enact authoritarian bullshit is way more disgusting than any sort of ambivalence I've displayed to being beaten over the head with it.

because it doesn't just happen on the internet you colossal dipshit

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to remind you that you said, and I quote, "hate speech never killed anybody". I gave you a concrete example of hate speech killing huge numbers of people, and you turned it into a joke. Because you're incapable of looking at yourself critical for fear of recognizing yourself for the monster you are. All you had to say was, "ok, yes, I was exaggerating when I said hate speech never killed anybody, and those deaths are all tragedies" but nope, you decided to speak from the heart and tell us how you really felt. Now all you can do is own up to it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Restrictions on speech exist.

Why is that I wonder...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Literally The Worst posted:

because it doesn't just happen on the internet you colossal dipshit

Hate speech laws aren't going to stop teens and kids from bullying each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I see no problem with dressing up as a ghost with a bunch of my friends and having a bonfire where the wood happens to be shaped like a t.

hey natetimm where on the poll is the option for 'you're a drat moron?'

• Locked thread