Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

btw y'all should check out one punch man if you're not watching it already

it's about an idiot superhero who kills everything in one punch and is bored, looking for stronger and stronger enemies

all the villains have super elaborate backstories

Warning: this is stupid screaming anime poo poo, I didn't make it through 10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Pez posted:

Warning: this is stupid screaming anime poo poo, I didn't make it through 10 minutes

Warning: Pez is a crotchety old man GET OFF HIS LAWN

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Pez posted:

Ha ha ha look at how wrong you are

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

there's even dick punching

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

It's incredibly annoying and bad, i.e. it's anime

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

I'm in.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pez posted:

It's incredibly annoying and bad, i.e. it's anime

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
oh god we finally found the one thing that could tear this goon squad apart

(it's good)

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Anime? Yeah, I guess you could say I've heard of it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
we're too grown-up for anime 'round these parts, now check out my new butt-themed video game character, Buttpunch McButt

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I'm not too grown for anime, I just like things that are entertaining to more than "hurr they're yelling lol" crowds

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

anime is good but only if it involves a lot of yelling

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Anime? drat near killed 'em!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pez posted:

I'm not too grown for anime, I just like things that are entertaining to more than "hurr they're yelling lol" crowds

Turn the sound off.

Seriously how can you not love this, look at that ripple

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, seeing the CoH thread suddenly at the top of MMO HMO had me thinking that something had finally come out of those people trying to save CoX from NCSoft.

Sup, Dark/Dark Defender from day 1, and never mained anything else. =P

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I still miss Masterminds :negative:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

I still miss Masterminds :negative:

Then slot more Accuracy Enhancements.

:rimshot:

... :(

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Honestly I kind of miss MMs too. It was fun to wander around sometimes with a mob of dumb buddies. As much as they generally sucked nothing in any other MMO has played quite like they did.

Funny side note, my phone originally autocorrected "did" to "die"

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

My first toon at launch was stone/stone tank and even though it was slow as hell and looked like a literal poop, it was fun as hell with the underhand swing and knocking dudes way across the map. I was sad when they changed the KB on stone to KD, even though it made way more sense. I also remember being super jealous of fire tanks who were able to kill poo poo like a million times faster with burn.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

My first toon at launch was stone/stone tank and even though it was slow as hell and looked like a literal poop, it was fun as hell with the underhand swing and knocking dudes way across the map. I was sad when they changed the KB on stone to KD, even though it made way more sense. I also remember being super jealous of fire tanks who were able to kill poo poo like a million times faster with burn.

I still remember my fire/fire killing +8 level Family in IP a month or two after launch.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Stone Melee was such a vicious set. Shame it never made it to Scrappers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Oh lord, Burn. I remember before and after Burn so clearly.

Then again, I also remember trying to fight anything that could do status effects and getting detoggled by sleep and killed. Back when Healing Flames and Burn did status protection they actually dropped for a second when you reapplied them, so you had to be careful of what was still on your action bar.

I was glad when those days were gone, also the days when Stone and Inv had to stand still to be CC immune and Ice couldn't run any other shield if they had Wet Ice up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, I really am starting to forget this game. Thinking about Stone Tankers had me trying to figure out how I remembered them running around like rabbits on crack, then remembering it was because of /Kin controllers, because the travel power of choice for Stone/ was Teleport, then trying to remember a time before Fire/Kin was FOTM, then my Grav/Sonic troller, then how barftastic Sonic was until they turned it into the Tang Field. (Not me, I was fine with it, but I always felt that they could have made it not look so ugly.)

I miss teleporting as a travel mode.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So did that server emu fair use decision change anything about this?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

So did that server emu fair use decision change anything about this?

No, because it only allows you to emulate features to do things like circumvent always-online DRM or online authentication. They were very careful to word things to avoid allowing people to set up and maintain servers for the purpose of multiplayer online play, including online-only games like MMORPGs and dead console servers for the Dreamcast or Wii. They even went as far as to make sure the historical preservation clauses still had this exception in place (so, say, the Smithsonian, can't run an in-house Everquest 1 server for historical demonstration purposes.)

What exceptions that do exist also have to be renewed in three years, so if anything grander then what's intended in the laws as-written comes to pass, the changes to Fair Use will die in a terrible fire in 2018.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 1, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's too bad. I was watching this thread with great hope after I heard about that.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
As someone that's currently playing with other goons on a *HUGE* private Vanilla WoW server, just lol. Blizzard has only ever successfully litigated servers where two conditions were met:
1. Private server was hosted in the US
2. Private server had Pay To Play elements.

If a hypothetical CoX private server was F2P and hosted in a country outside of the legal reach of the US/South Korea, there would be nothing that NCsoft could do about it. They could send as many C&D letters as the want, and it wouldn't matter for poo poo.

...And come play with goons on Nostalrius PvE - a huge, high-quality vanilla WoW server. It's great, and it will show CoX goons just what private operators can get away with. If Blizzard can't take these guys down, then NCsoft wouldn't be able to either.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 1, 2015

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

i hope whatever is taking so long for coh to come out with a private server is that they're effectively "relaunching" the game, so it doesn't matter if you don't have your main with all of the anniversary badges and poo poo, because it's a fresh start for everyone, on everything. anything you missed before you get a second chance

but also that it's patched to the latest issue right from the start. the playerbase would have years to work through all that content again on fresh characters, and they'd have a plan for those years to add new badges and events.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

i hope whatever is taking so long for coh to come out with a private server is that they're effectively "relaunching" the game, so it doesn't matter if you don't have your main with all of the anniversary badges and poo poo, because it's a fresh start for everyone, on everything. anything you missed before you get a second chance

but also that it's patched to the latest issue right from the start. the playerbase would have years to work through all that content again on fresh characters, and they'd have a plan for those years to add new badges and events.

I never thought about that, but yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think the real reason is nobody's actually going to do it :smith:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I had a stone/axe tank called Combat Rock. Never played him that much :(

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

I'd actually prefer a fresh start. It's been so long since we've played it that everyone's probably forgotten a lot of the little things.

I doubt anyone's going to really feel burned out having to relevel, except for maybe kill badges(St Marshal Marcone Consiglieres, I'm looking at you).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think people would cut each other's nuts off for the chance to level in COH again, much less complain about it.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I never gave a gently caress about badges anyway, unless the title fit the character.

But for those that do, there should be a Halloween server, on which it is perpetually Halloween. Those were the good badges.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

that sounds good
but also i dont know if i could handle getting to 50 with a PB again

edit:
getting to 50 and also IOing out

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Fereydun posted:

that sounds good
but also i dont know if i could handle getting to 50 with a PB again

edit:
getting to 50 and also IOing out

this is about second chances, not making the same mistakes

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Indeed. Go Warshade next time. :v:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

This is about making the same glorious mistakes again. Energy/energy blaster main, I24 or not.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I would love a third-party CoH server, but aren't all the WoW ones based on source leaks or something? I thought the big problem with a CoH server is that you'd essentially have to disassemble the .exe to figure out how and what it sends/receives, and then write the entire game backend and AI from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, I would relevel a D3 without a single thought too, I17 Vigilance damage buff or no. Or much of anything, really, but I think that's because Dark Miasma/Dark Blast got the fewest number of changes over the entire life of the game.

• Locked thread