Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

DeafNote posted:

Slowbeefs reaction to that attack during his run was the best
Just a slightly frustrated and unbelieving "No."

Slowbeef didn't have much of a reaction to the attack itself. He had a reaction when he realized that this is not a cutscene boss and he actually has to deal with this

Also Flowey is such a stupid edgelord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I only just noticed it, but I wonder what that KR that Sans has added after our healthbar but before the numerical read out. Karma? I guess we'll find out next time :ohdear:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

DeafNote posted:

Fair warning
That youtube clip has musical spoilers (among other things)

I dont think people realize we didnt see all the fight yet

I didn't actually realize the music was a spoiler, I've yet to see the sans fight myself. I went ahead and replaced my link with one that has a song instead of game music. :shobon:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wow, it's a good thing for Frisk that Sans made that promise, or s/he really would be dead where they stand.

And ok, here's what I think is going on now. Flower said 'she took it with her when she left' meaning the first kid (Prof)'s body. Which was then buried under that first patch of flowers that Toriel goes to visit every day. And then somehow the two combined, so when we get that red text that talks as though it were Prof, that's the original kid's soul or whatever influencing Frisk.

And Flowey's situation sounds kind of like a Groundhog Day. Do you think Bill Murray even went on an axe-murder spree on some of the off-camera days?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I remember the Xena groundhog day episode, at some point she gets so annoyed she just kills that useless knight that'd hang around them when he comes to wake her up for the same day for the nth time.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

OH GOD HE KNOWS WE ARE WATCHING!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Considering the player says "My Bed" and "Our Clothes", it doesnt seem like there is anything of 'Frisk' left

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DeafNote posted:

Considering the player says "My Bed" and "Our Clothes", it doesnt seem like there is anything of 'Frisk' left

You will notice that it says that in red text too.

Prof's soul is slowly taking over Frisk. :cthulhu: It even thinks to itself differently.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Something else neato is the response you get when examining mirrors. In the pacifist run it read something along the lines of "Despite everything, it's still you". Now it reads "It's me, Prof."

Unfortunately at this point we are rather Determined to have a bad time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elfface posted:

And Flowey's situation sounds kind of like a Groundhog Day. Do you think Bill Murray even went on an axe-murder spree on some of the off-camera days?

Apparently there was an early version of the script that had this bit in the middle. They cut it because it didn't really fit the comedic tone they were going for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, we've made it to a new page, quick, lock the thread again while you make a new update before people rush to spoil everything again!

If not, can someone explain the attack and defense for me? Does it just stick around in parentheses instead of adding itself to the total amount to show that's what the armor is adding?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
When it says X (Y), X is the value from your LV, and Y is the value from your gear. They add together, probably.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Can someone explain to me what the deal with Flowey is? I'm lost.

I always thought the idea behind it was this:

Alphys injected the flower which Asriel/Frisk being died upon with Determination.

This injection created the being called Flowey - not actually a monster or a human or a flower, but an avatar of the three, combined.

The sentience of this being is mixed between the two entities, Asriel and Prof; so Flowey doesn't act like one over the other, but rather like both of them together - he tries to have the emotion that he remembers as Asriel, but feels nothing for anybody, presumably like Prof.

Despite this, Flowey doesn't seem to recognize him being a dual entity (he refers to the player as Prof, for example). He still acts primarily like Asriel kinda did

We know in the pacifist ending that a soul-conglomerate being can have entities removed either through the original being either through someone else' SOUL resonating with theirs or through the being (Asriel, in this case) voluntarily giving them up.

Resonating SOULs seem to come about through shared memories/empathy (due to how the Lost Souls were returned to normal)

Would it seem unreasonable, then, that a conglomerate SOUL could recognize an outside SOUL which they resonate with stronger than the other SOUL/s they are combined with?

Would it seem unreasonable that if Prof's SOUL is resonating with Frisk's SOUL, that the Flowey is becoming simply Asriel and the flower, and the reason he is afraid is because he's no longer having emotions suppressed by the presence of Prof?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

When it says X (Y), X is the value from your LV, and Y is the value from your gear. They add together, probably.

Yeah, the fact that the numbers were separate instead of combining was what was confusing me, thanks.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
edit: Spoilers

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Please stop alluding to aspects of the impending fight that haven't been seen

How difficult is this

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also it occurs to me that the books back in, I think, Snowdin, describe humans as being mostly made from water, making them more physical and hence better able to handle DETERMINATION. And Undyne, after becoming ULTRA UNDYNE, melts, turning into liquid. Maybe part of the reason she was able to go all anime superhero was in part because she was a watery, squishy fishperson? Or maybe it's just because melting was a cooler death animation than dissolving into dust and I'm overthinking it.

This was a little while back but I wanted to point this out: the True Lab showed us exactly what DETERMINATION does to monster bodies. It makes them melt. When we defeated Undyne the Undying, her body couldn't handle all the DETERMINATION she was channeling anymore, and it just... couldn't keep its shape.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think melting is just supposed to be a slower type of death instead of turning into ash like everyone else.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Guess they aren't friends anymore

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
the Sans fight is a loving work of art and belongs in a museum

ProfessorProf posted:

How difficult is this

You should have just closed the thread right after the update. In threads like these, posters like us...

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Here's something that isn't a spoiler, since we've just seen it; this is the only fight in the entire game where you don't get the first turn.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lets hang out posted:

Guess they aren't friends anymore

I think it's just that Prof doesn't feel the need to describe the locket. They know which locket it is. If anything, they seem to get even more meaning out of it than Pacifist Run Frisk does -- look at the difference in that DF stat.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Heatwizard posted:

Here's something that isn't a spoiler, since we've just seen it; this is the only fight in the entire game where you don't get the first turn.

Oh, really? Hmm... Now I'm wondering if sans even gets a second turn if you survive the first? I mean maybe the reason that attack is so killer is that if you survive it, then your attack will certainly pulverize sans in a single hit like it did every boss before.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Jesus Christ sans. I guess this is why you take all those breaks.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ProfessorProf posted:

How difficult is this

Uh, people have been spoiling poo poo since the day you opened the thread, so it appears to be pretty loving difficult.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The greatest sin of a genocide run is making Sans do something instead of nothing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

birds are singing, flowers are blooming...
on days like these, kids like you...

Whelp, good LP everybody! I hope you enjoyed! Undertale's a great game, sad to see it over but I think things were wrapped up pretty well in the end.

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013

I love this bit right here. It isn't just Sans whooping you as his first move, it's the game finally getting sick of your genocidal poo poo. Whatever gloves that were still on after Undyne are now firmly off.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

ProfessorProf posted:

Call for help. I dare you.
Cry into the darkness!
"Mommy! Daddy! Somebody help!"
See what good it does you!

ProfessorProf posted:

"Mom! Dad! Somebody help me!" I called out.
But nobody came.

This game, man.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I do so love a happy ending! :)

Iretep posted:

The greatest sin of a genocide run is making Sans do something instead of nothing.

Even now, he's still got one hand in his pocket.

What he's done to Prof, he did one-handed.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Heatwizard posted:

Well it makes sense doesn't it?

Who ever heard of the final boss getting to attack before the hero?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
By the way: After tomorrow's update, I'm gonna lift the ban on un-polsy'd youtube links. We're almost past all the poo poo that could be spoiled by a youtube thumbnail.

This does not mean you should go and spoil everything else, though.

Diploid
Oct 21, 2010
Hey Prof, you should keep a running count of how many times Sans kills you. It doesn't look like that attack is easy to get through alive.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

BenRGamer posted:

This game, man.

That's one of the things I like best about this game. Flowey is a person too, even if he's soulless. Just look at that face when he says that "Mommy, Daddy" line for the pacifist run. Even reveling in the joys of the ultraviolence he's about to inflict on you, he retains a little bit of self mockery, and shows us that a little piece of him is still a scared little kid. And you'd never ever know it unless you played the part of his departed friend, and put the entire rest of the underground to the sword.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

This is exactly where I was hoping you'd stop this update. :allears:

This is some really meta commentary, Flowey.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TheMcD posted:

That segment with Flowey was probably my favorite moment in the entire game. Something about everything just coming together perfectly, with my goal going into the run being to pound that loving flower into the dirt for all the poo poo he's put me through. The anticipation of finally giving him what for, the way he's finally felt fear again. It's a whole bunch of small things, but the way they came together for me was incredible.

Yes, Flowey, we wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to kill each other if we got in each others' way. And you wouldn't believe just how much you've been in our way. And as long as we've got the determination, there's not a thing in the world that's going to stop us. Yeah, I'd be scared too. We're coming. After all, in this world, it's kill or be killed...

The Flowey dialogue is definitely my favorite in the game. It just provides so much more depth to his character - he actually WAS a good person, he went out and helped everyone, he honestly tried to make everything as good as he possibly could.

But he’s like the player, he got bored with making people happy because he’d done it already. So why not see everything?

I can also see his argument that he is better than those of you just watching. At least he admit to himself that he wants to see what happens when you kill the people in your life. At  Least  He  Takes  Responsibility  For  His  Sins.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Burn in hell, Prof.

Uh, the other one.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yo, that is actually still a spoiler.

edit: It is? Sorry, haven't played this route. I'll trust you on it.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 2, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shieldhill posted:

<snip>
Burn in hell, Prof.

Uh, the other one.

Yo, that is actually still a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You can see why Sans is so dangerous just from this one attack--he doesn't give mercy invincibility, every single frame that heart touches something it deals damage.

• Locked thread