Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Coyote Ugly posted:

The scenes between Belle and Rumple last night were a bit cringe-worthy. I did not enjoy seeing his character being such a coward, I like his cockiness when he was a villain. Rumple was so much more interesting, now I'm not sure how I feel about him flip-flopping to become a hero. It seems like with Emma becoming the Dark One, certain people are now getting their "Happy Endings" so to speak or redemption by turning from bad to good.

This whole Camelot spin-off this season has just feels out sync with me with the way the plot is going. I don't really like what they did with Merida either, she's an awesome character and I loved Brave, but I feel like if she wasn't in the show, nothing would really be much different. I snorted with laughter when I saw how they represented the triplets. The actors simply towered over Merida, and were practically adults! They should've been old enough to save themselves! Merida's story arc could have been better.

I am very "meh" on the whole Dark Swan plot. Emma just doesn't feel villainous and sinister enough for me to pull it off, compared to previous villains on the show.

There is a 90% chance that it will end with Rumble becoming the Dark One again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Such bullshit. Belle should have pulled the sword from the stone, she obviously put more effort the whole episode to be brave.

That was exactly what I was expecting, and I was honestly a bit surprised that they didn't go with that.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I've been keeping an eye out and playing spot the lgbt character since there's supposed to be one this season and did anyone else notice Merida checking Belle out? I'm guessing they're gonna go with Mulan and Merida which is probably the two most obvious choices which makes me laugh

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Troposphere posted:

I've been keeping an eye out and playing spot the lgbt character since there's supposed to be one this season and did anyone else notice Merida checking Belle out? I'm guessing they're gonna go with Mulan and Merida which is probably the two most obvious choices which makes me laugh

I wouldn't like that at all. "Look at those women wh have learned to fight and don't want to be surpressed by men. They must be lesbians."
But you are probably right.
Man, I used to enjoy this show, but this season is just bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For all the adventuring Belle has done and the asses of how many characters she has randomly done, like so many flashbacks are just 'oh btw Belle knows this character too'. Like this girl has enough random encounters with whoever is important she's basically female Charming.

Belle drawing the sword from the stone would have been pretty legit. I was almost expecting it after Merlin kept giving her props and she went 'thanks for somebody finally noticing' or whatever. Then the whole flashback with Belle teaching Merida to be the hero, which I guess was really just setup for teaching Rumple to be the hero in a weird way in the present, but that part fell flat for me. Mostly because of the like snap of the fingers about face on Rumple now being 100% not a coward despite it being his main defining trait even as the Dark One.

I've been calling 'Merida will be the new lesbian for when Mulan shows up' since she showed up. If not her randomly being the gay it'll most certainly be Mulan and someone whenever she has her return arc. drat shame.

I guess the lesbian Kingdom Hearts analogy would stop working if they went with the obvious and most wanted choice for their gay storyline.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Who knows for sure? Ruby's supposed to come back to team up with Merida and Mulan. It might be Ruby involved in the relationship. My God, I'm glad she's coming back. She's gorgeous. :allears:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pan Dulce posted:

Who knows for sure? Ruby's supposed to come back to team up with Merida and Mulan. It might be Ruby involved in the relationship. My God, I'm glad she's coming back. She's gorgeous. :allears:

I miss when Ruby was moderately relevant! Didn't realize she was coming back. Nice.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's weird because I know the actress left to try to star in another show, but that failed a while back so I'm curious why she's been gone/completely offscreen for most of the past 2 seasons. I saw her maybe like once or twice the past few seasons. So weird because she seemed to be more with the team than the dwarves for instance.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm really disappointed Rumple didn't hit the bear with his car.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

It's weird because I know the actress left to try to star in another show, but that failed a while back so I'm curious why she's been gone/completely offscreen for most of the past 2 seasons. I saw her maybe like once or twice the past few seasons. So weird because she seemed to be more with the team than the dwarves for instance.

Yeah, weren't she and Snow super tight?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure I can stomach this show anymore.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

That was amazing. Please, more lines for Zelena, she makes everything fun. Plus, Nimue is what I wanted Dark Swan to be. Holy CRAP she just took and did not give two fucks about anything. She looked scary without looking like talcum powder was poured over her head.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
Nimue looks like mystique

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've been enjoying this season thoroughly, the Arthur stuff especially. I really dig the paranoid and mad take they have on him, and it's been hitting more than missing for me since the premiere. This episode in particular. Great Emma stuff, too, and I liked Merlin's backstory and the origin of the Dark One. Already knew it would be her, but then I legit thought they killed her for like a half a second. So good job, Once.

Would be nice if they could keep up the brisk pace and momentum, but it's Once so I doubt it. All said they've been plowing through story at a pretty even clip this year.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I'm finding the opposite. The bulk of the episodes have just been... not good. The plot seems to rely on characters being way stupider than usual, and I'm not sure why Arthur's mustache-twirling evil rings more false than Peter Pan, but it does. All the evil characters on this show have had a pretty okay motivation (or, at least, an understandable one). Arthur is the first that feels petty.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

cailleask posted:

I'm finding the opposite. The bulk of the episodes have just been... not good. The plot seems to rely on characters being way stupider than usual, and I'm not sure why Arthur's mustache-twirling evil rings more false than Peter Pan, but it does. All the evil characters on this show have had a pretty okay motivation (or, at least, an understandable one). Arthur is the first that feels petty.

Agree entirely. Arthur makes everyone else look stupid without them even trying to come up with plans of attack, like Peter Pan. And his reasoning just sounds like a spoiled man-child who didn't get his exact way. Maybe it's the writing, or maybe if an actor as good as Robbie Kay could have pulled it off. I dunno.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I guess I'm just not overly picky with my weird Disney/Lost/Kingdom Hearts mashup. I mean the well meaning dude drove mad by prophecy or taking the wrong path without their mentor for whatever reason is such common fantasy stock that it works for me. I agree it's weaker than something like Pan was, but Once isn't something I've ever gone to for depth.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Arthur's villainy like most villainy in the show stems from family issues. In this case, it's a neglectful father. (Merlin)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
This show has always been stupid and dumb but it rules and I've watched every episode

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I dunno man. I liked the show when the narrative level was at 'prime time drama'. I loved it when it dipped into 'wacky soap opera with a dash of camp'. But now it sort of feels like listening to a kid acting out a story with Barbie dolls.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I can't help but rank the mid-seasons now and this is ranking the lowest in my opinion, beneath the Greg and Tamara nonsense and, at the time, Zelena's "Why not me?" narrative. I found them the weakest villains before. Still think the Pan-arc was the best. I didn't really mind Ingrid's mid-season and the Queens of Darkness. Cora was great and Rumple's always been amazing, as has Regina.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Yeah, everyone seems a lot stupider than they had in previous seasons.

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 12, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Including, apparently, some people creating the show:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It'll be fixed in the home release then.

Yeah 500 makes a bit more sense but 500 is still a little "new".

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Sober posted:

It'll be fixed in the home release then.

Yeah 500 makes a bit more sense but 500 is still a little "new".

Yeah, considering that Rumple was the dark one for at least a century or two, and it looked like there were several dozen before him.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I'm all about Ruby and Mulan going on a sapphic soul searching quest to find themselves in the woods

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
those were some of the clumsiest gay metaphors I have ever seen they might have well had Ruby go oh I've just been stuck in the closet this whole time

and I guess hook is dead and evil now whatever

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 16, 2015

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The first part was the batshit crazy I know and love, but my god was the second one boring. I mean, yay Ruby, but that was really dull right in the heels of the non-stop insanity.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Definitely a strange decision to have the big plot-advancing episode as the first part and the completely unrelated side story episode be the second part. I kept waiting for the main story to kick back in and it just....never did. And the payoff seems to be Merida swearing vengeance on Arthur, a character who is currently locked-up and completely powerless.

It is nice to have Ruby and Mulan back though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I never noticed that Whale was Blaine. Good thing they didn't make him change his haircolor for that scene.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Okay, bearing in mind that the gay metaphors were in your face, holy crap, the "shipping" name for them is hilarious and amazing.

Mulan Rouge.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Did I miss something, when was Ruby shown to be gay?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Okay, bearing in mind that the gay metaphors were in your face, holy crap, the "shipping" name for them is hilarious and amazing.

Mulan Rouge.
I only counted two of them. The one where Mulan says she needs to 'fill her purse' was really in your face, also the Witch's Hut scene, that's about it. I was actually expecting Mulan and Merida because literally Merida has never shown an interest in men ever but whatever. Were there really more?

Both episodes were good, yeah I know the second one was kinda a side story to the whole Dark Emma plot but it was pretty fun watching three ladies just go around kicking rear end and taking names.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
What was the great evil that Snow was supposed to be summoning? I haven't watched the shown in a while but the ad about her summoning some great evil has intrigued. I hope that its something cool like Vader, but I doubt it

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Sober posted:

I only counted two of them. The one where Mulan says she needs to 'fill her purse' was really in your face, also the Witch's Hut scene, that's about it. I was actually expecting Mulan and Merida because literally Merida has never shown an interest in men ever but whatever. Were there really more?

there was the scene with snow where she was like "I feel out of place and the only one of my kind" and when Mulan was talking about a broken heart and Ruby was like I CAN HELP!!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Did I miss something, when was Ruby shown to be gay?

People see what they want to see.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Mad Dragon posted:

People see what they want to see.

they've said there is going to be a lgbt couple this half season. Mulan is obviously one half, that leaves Ruby as the other unless they decide to go a different direction, which I can't really see happening as the half season is almost over

this show has a huuuuuge lesbian fanbase and the writers are very aware of it

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 16, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

They're never SHOWN someone to be gay definitively, even Mulan. Some fans still interpret her leaving as loving Phillip and leaving because Aurora's having a child, as opposed to her leaving because she loved Aurora.

Things are weird. But they did say an LGBT relationship was coming this season, maybe now or in second half, and never said whom. But survey says, Mulan and whatever woman she's with.

People still debate whether it was Merida or Ruby. I saw innuendos, but nothing was said outright and the innuendo is really weak; I see it as only if you're looking for some because you want some more couples or something. Most of the time, love is given with HUGE pining eyes and they hit you over the face with angst and a tune just for those characters when they're together.

Still, they're filming episode 13, so they must have solidified who they want as the pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Merthur.

• Locked thread