Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm going to admit, I stopped watching when they started shooting at the alien with pistols while driving on the freeway. Great plan, Feds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, this felt a lot better than the pilot. People actually directly said Superman and Clark Kent! I also like how the Totally Not Sword guys are not just amatures blundering around in the dark, but actually somewhat competent when dealing with the aliens.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Enjoyed the pilot and loved this episode. Dialog is tighter, pacing is good, and that shot of Kara getting chucked through a few walls was legit good.

Can't wait for Henshaw to go all robo. Get me the Eradicator and lovely punk Superboy and I'll be thrilled.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I am never going to get used to blue heat vision, am I? I just don't understand why. Is it supposed to be stronger? Weaker? Is Kara going to level up at some point and suddenly her eye lasers turn red and overwhelm Astra's? Or do all female Kryptonians have blue heat vision instead of red? I need to know this for my peace of mind okay! :argh:

Otherwise, yeah, virtually everything in the episode was good. The only thing that didn't quite jibe with me was the notion that Kara wouldn't know what a Kryptonian holographic AI was, but Alex does.

Bad Moon posted:

I'm going to admit, I stopped watching when they started shooting at the alien with pistols while driving on the freeway. Great plan, Feds.
Why...wouldn't they? This alien's not Kryptonian. Bullets could kill him if he got hit with them.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I think the blue heat vision is to portray it as hotter like on a stove.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Episode 2 and there is a 1:30 "previously on!!!".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium hypochlorite is bleach you idiot!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I wonder if that chemical plant also had hydrogen dioxide.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so wait, it's been a while since I saw the pilot and I can't remember, Kara doesn't have an El suit like Supes because........

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BrianWilly posted:

Why...wouldn't they? This alien's not Kryptonian. Bullets could kill him if he got hit with them.

Their plan was to drive around town in the dark and then gangsta lean out the window on the freeway and take pot shots at it with pistols. Not even Scifi pistols, but bog standard 9mm any rent a cop gets.

I get it's a comic book show and supposed to be silly but Jesus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"It's been a long time little one. Look how you've grown, so beautiful." :barf:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gave it the first two before commenting, I'm all in. It looks great, the effects don't suck. What's her name is a total babe and she sells her character, Superman.
Loving the suit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yep. I'm all in.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Did anyone else see Perd from Parks & Rec? I really want to see Leslie Knope take on Callista Flockheart.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This was a pretty good episode. My only real gripe is that the fighting choreography, especially while hovering, is really awkward and goofy looking. But maybe it really would look awkward and goofy, I dunno.

I could have done without the flashback memory of her sister teaching her how to fight. We could have gotten the point without it, I think.

VVV yeah. I knew it was coming, but I still went "oh god, yes, we get it."

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 3, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't a flashback.

Edit: Never mind, you're talking about during the fight with her aunt. Agreed, that wasn't really needed.

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 3, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

Their plan was to drive around town in the dark and then gangsta lean out the window on the freeway and take pot shots at it with pistols. Not even Scifi pistols, but bog standard 9mm any rent a cop gets.

I get it's a comic book show and supposed to be silly but Jesus.

They didn't necessarily expect it to leap onto the truck, I guess?

Gawain The Blind posted:

This was a pretty good episode. My only real gripe is that the fighting choreography, especially while hovering, is really awkward and goofy looking. But maybe it really would look awkward and goofy, I dunno.

Kara is definitely meant to be awkward and goofy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm just impressed they went through the bother of having them fly while fighting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

howe_sam posted:

I'm just impressed they went through the bother of having them float while fighting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There was some swooping, it counts as flying.

Overnight ratings have the show dropping about four million viewers from last week, but 8.8 million with 2.2 in the demo is still respectable, and beat Gotham. The DVR numbers will probably add on a couple more million viewers too.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Chokes McGee posted:

Also yay Hank's already the Incredible Melting Techno Man! Can't wait until it turns out his entire body has been made out of recycled toasters this entire time and no one at the DEO noticed.

I'm SO glad this is the case. With General Lady-Zod flying around I thought there was no way we'd get Cyborg Superlativeman this season, but they're continuing the Flash/Arrow tradition of moving at a breakneck pace. Love it!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really liked the difference in voice that Melissa was doing between Supergirl and Kara.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked that Kara didn't think her aunt was her mom at all, despite them being twins. Even for identicals there are all sorts of things people can use to tell us apart, you just need to know us to learn where to look.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

pentyne posted:

It got cancelled almost immediately after the pilot was leaked. Just google "Wonder Woman pilot" for all you need to know.

Hahaha you weren't kidding about it being awful. I wasn't sure I believed the "I didn't say to merchandise my TITS!" line until I actually saw it. :lol:

Wonder Woman just throwing lengths of pipe through random dudes necks, hahahaha

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I'm a little disappointed that Astra wasn't smarter about trying to manipulate Supergirl before going straight into obvious bad guy territory. She's now sacrificed two of her flunkies and gotten less out of it than if she'd taken Kara to coffee for some slick talk about how they both want "what's best for the people of earth" and House of El nostalgia. I would say, hey, maybe the tone of this show doesn't allow for a double-cross storyline like that, but if the not-SHIELD boss is going to turn out to be an angry space-mutant anyway it seems like it would fit OK.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

WarLocke posted:

Hahaha you weren't kidding about it being awful. I wasn't sure I believed the "I didn't say to merchandise my TITS!" line until I actually saw it. :lol:

Wonder Woman just throwing lengths of pipe through random dudes necks, hahahaha

Hoo lee gently caress. Just watched it. That was everything I was afraid this show was going to be.

I forget, did the first episode also have the mysterious offscreen voice talking to Astra, or was this the first "appearance" of what we're almost surely being led to believe is Zod?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PantsOptional posted:

Hoo lee gently caress. Just watched it. That was everything I was afraid this show was going to be.

I haven't seen the second Supergirl episode yet, but from the reaction in this thread I suspect they were watching how people reacted to the 'leaked' pilot very closely. It sounds like they really tightened things up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

WarLocke posted:

I haven't seen the second Supergirl episode yet, but from the reaction in this thread I suspect they were watching how people reacted to the 'leaked' pilot very closely. It sounds like they really tightened things up.

It's tighter plotted, and just better on a technical level. But if the 'romcom'-ness of the pilot bothered you, this hasn't changed.

Show still owns.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gawain The Blind posted:

In a grounded fight the power comes from the combination of body leverage and pushing off the ground but in midair only one of those exist so yeah, without a ton more CGI or a complete reinvention of the flight rigging it's gonna look like two people awkwardly swinging while hanging from ropes. Although it is two characters who (mostly) don't have formal fight training relying on brute strength and haymakers, so it probably would look like that anyway.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was a little annoyed when she remembered the earlier lesson to "use the opponents strength against them" and then tossed her Aunt away and then started acting like the fight was over and won. Supergirl had been tossed like that by her opponent like 3 times earlier in the fight and was back in the fight in like 2 seconds each time.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Just watched the 2 back to back and was reasonably entertained. Going to see how this pans out, but Arrow, Shield and Flash will be on my watch list first.
The only thing that worries me is that introducing antother Kryptonian does just magnify the elephant in the room that is "him" and why "he" doesn't show up to help, considering the shitstorm he went to to take down another Kryptonian, a Kryptonian who was in fact in the same prison as the new bad guy and who it seems had exactly the same motives and goals.

Timett posted:

I was a little annoyed when she remembered the earlier lesson to "use the opponents strength against them" and then tossed her Aunt away and then started acting like the fight was over and won. Supergirl had been tossed like that by her opponent like 3 times earlier in the fight and was back in the fight in like 2 seconds each time.

The way I read that scene is that she paused to see how her sister was not that she thought it was all over.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 4, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the one major problem I have left with this show's "conceits" is that Superman is just still completely removed from Kara's life. Okay, I will buy that they're not really that close and that they live separate lives. I will...reluctantly...accept that she doesn't even know he has a Fortress of Solitude with remnants of their own home planet stored away.

But there's a real life Kryptonian supervillain on the loose planning to take over the planet. She's got command of the worst convicts across the galaxy. She's part of Kal-El's own family. These are all prreeeeeeetty good reasons for Superman himself to start getting involved. He already comes across like the biggest deadbeat douche for cutting himself off from Kara all this time; now he's just gonna leave her to deal with these sorts of things all on her own?

(Although, hey, that does kind of seem like the sort of thing Zach Snyder's Superman might do)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
That's a problem with most any Superman thing. On JLU Superman was constantly away dealing with other problems when the episode focused on the B-Team. Otherwise he makes most any other hero obsolete instantly. It's annoying, but it's par for the course on any DC medium.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

At least they've replaced half of her "your cousins" with Clark and Superman. We really don't need the constant reminders though.

The supporting cast still bothers me because it all feels wrong. Her sister just happens to work for the alien police? She just decides to tell the guy with the crush her secret?

Her sister should be there for Kara Zor-El the little alien girl who grew up on Earth who sometimes gets in over her head.
Jimmy should be there for for Kara Danvers the assistant who loves cat videos and asks What Would Superman Do?
Little guy should be there for Supergirl as her mission handler at the space police who crushes on her hard.

I mean why does Supergirl need help finding crimes? She's Supergirl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Her sister just happens to work for the alien police?

They say in the pilot they specifically hired her because they knew about Kara.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Josh Lyman posted:

Sodium hypochlorite is bleach you idiot!

The part that got me was the chlorine-based life.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I think the one major problem I have left with this show's "conceits" is that Superman is just still completely removed from Kara's life. Okay, I will buy that they're not really that close and that they live separate lives. I will...reluctantly...accept that she doesn't even know he has a Fortress of Solitude with remnants of their own home planet stored away.

But there's a real life Kryptonian supervillain on the loose planning to take over the planet. She's got command of the worst convicts across the galaxy. She's part of Kal-El's own family. These are all prreeeeeeetty good reasons for Superman himself to start getting involved. He already comes across like the biggest deadbeat douche for cutting himself off from Kara all this time; now he's just gonna leave her to deal with these sorts of things all on her own?

(Although, hey, that does kind of seem like the sort of thing Zach Snyder's Superman might do)

It's because the show is called Supergirl and it's about Supergirl, it's pretty simple really

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

In addition to this being a ridiculous take on the movie, how about we just loving not make this thread about Man of Steel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You guys realize this isn't in continuity with Man of Steel right? It is its own thing.

Also Kara literally just found out her aunt was involved, this government organization doesn't have Superman on the payroll and aren't going to tell him anything, they probably can't even contact him. They probably don't know who he is either and Kara isn't going to tell anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

greatn posted:

You guys realize this isn't in continuity with Man of Steel right? It is its own thing.

What about my comment would suggest to you that I'd be unaware of that?

• Locked thread