Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I've never been so typecast.

OpenApoc has been having trouble gaining momentum so I've started helping them out. You should too. This is your chance to get in on the ground floor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SupSuper posted:

I've never been so typecast.

OpenApoc has been having trouble gaining momentum so I've started helping them out. You should too. This is your chance to get in on the ground floor!
My only clear memories of X-Com Apocalypse were 1.) hot garbage, and 2.) getting mowed down the second I entered a building because of how their dumb active turn-based thing worked.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I am not very far into this yet, but I'm working on a Cycles renderer plugin for 3ds max.

So far I can get the camera transform (almost) set up right and render all the meshes in the scene at their correct transforms and object color (but not any real materials). I also have progressive rendering working because cycles gave that to me for basically no work.

Up next is the long slog of mapping max materials to cycles shaders.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Shalinor posted:

My only clear memories of X-Com Apocalypse were 1.) hot garbage, and 2.) getting mowed down the second I entered a building because of how their dumb active turn-based thing worked.
This is your chance to make it not hot garbage!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Rahu posted:

I am not very far into this yet, but I'm working on a Cycles renderer plugin for 3ds max.

So far I can get the camera transform (almost) set up right and render all the meshes in the scene at their correct transforms and object color (but not any real materials). I also have progressive rendering working because cycles gave that to me for basically no work.

Up next is the long slog of mapping max materials to cycles shaders.

Cool stuff! This was basically the topic of my master's thesis, only I made an Autodesk ray tracer plugin for Blender.

You only think materials are a long slog because you haven't started on them yet, so you're about to find out that they're actually a never-ending death march. You should probably just pick one (like A&D or whatever) and make that translation really awesome, since generality and flexibility are just paving the road to hell in this case...

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

click the image for an animation

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

For a second I thought it was a palette cycle, but it looks like it's a series of images right?

Looks really good, but if you really wanna commit to the aesthetic, nothing beats old school palette cycles.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

You're exactly right. I thought about palette cycles, but I'd have no idea how to approach it, and I fear it might not turn out better but as an entirely different thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Disclaimer: I haven't done a cycle,
But: I'm thinking I'd do something like separate the image into static & dynamic parts, and then basically color in the dynamic parts as bands of color. Then "just" refresh the image with a new palette every 0.x seconds.

It looks sweet as hell as it is though, I am into that look.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I love the look of palette cycles as well, I'm sure you know this: http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/

Might be too much for me to handle just yet, but it's definitely something to consider for the future.

Thanks for the praise, though. Would be wondering what you're thinking of the same effect with a different dithering method:

I certainly can't make up my mind about having one over the other. Speed is too high but I hope you get the idea. I feel like the pattern is just too present in this one, even though it looks cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That is tons better! That dithering really works for it imo

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Huh, really now? Well thanks, now I'm curious. I'll ask around some other places.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Haha, "Eaty" is in the official manual or did you print that? That's great either way!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

poo poo like this is why I became a goon. :allears:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
If you like Eaty, you folks should also check out the other games submitted to this year's Octo-ber Jam!

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Biowarfare posted:

working on a 'registration form replacement' for internet video game fantasies
(really 50% of the reason is for integrated goonauth without having to visit yet another auth page)

hoping to support at least 5-6 forums by release time

did this fell through ?

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

Tempus Thales posted:

did this fell through ?

Hey if you're looking for some nice goonauth, check out a project I finished a while back! https://somethingauthful.com/ . If you use it let me know, I'd be glad to help with integration and such!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

WebGL heatmap stuff

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Really getting somewhere with Roggle. Almost at content creation, and then an alpha!

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I got marching cubes working for my game

Visualizing the data. Green shows the empty space

Blending modes

Mesh

In game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

Blending modes

Mesh

In game

Are you making Worms: Ninja Rope: The Game?

Because awesome.

Also that mesh deformation animation is loving killer.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DeathBySpoon posted:

Really getting somewhere with Roggle. Almost at content creation, and then an alpha!

This looks really slick.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you making Worms: Ninja Rope: The Game?

Because awesome.

Also that mesh deformation animation is loving killer.

Thanks!

I think it's going to be an endless runner of sorts. I'd like to release it on mobile platforms, but I'm not quite sure how to handle the aiming controls.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Thanks!

I think it's going to be an endless runner of sorts. I'd like to release it on mobile platforms, but I'm not quite sure how to handle the aiming controls.

if its on mobile, don't aim, tap where you want to connect and release when you want to drop it and let inertia continue,
so the aiming is done on throwing the rope to where the finger / mouse has been clicked/put

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Heres something im working on, behaviour tree editor for gdx-ai:

http://i.imgur.com/tAqsYM6.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=937QJnTu5Ig

evilentity fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 4, 2015

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Not much of a screenshot and more of video/audio of my project. I've more or less completed my OPL3 FM Synthesis MIDI player for DOS. The important stuff anyways -- no fancy UIs here! The demo is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Bc0dHgxVI

And because I like to share my code and get peoples' feedback and comments, I've also made a GIT of the project here.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that I didn't use my own patches/soundfont for playback, just the ones used in the Creative audio drivers for Windows 3.1

Edit: Turns out I'm a bit of a dummy and didn't notice a bug in my code that could result in undefined and undesirable behavior if the MIDI_Update function was not called frequently enough. I've fixed it, though.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 5, 2015

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Blending modes

Mesh

In game

Looking good! I was going to warn you about the marching cubes patent but then I saw that it expired in 2005 :corsair:

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

My UE4 plugin for turn based navigation is nearing a state where it might actually be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8L-K8WI2do

Sorry about the horrible cropping. I haven't figured out how to competently operate the screen capture program.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Working on smooth lights for box2dlights/libgdx. Left is smooth, right is default. Fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlrP2UYXss

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
ooh i like that, the wireframe bit reminds me of those plasma globes from the 80s

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

amazing

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

evilentity posted:

Working on smooth lights for box2dlights/libgdx. Left is smooth, right is default. Fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlrP2UYXss

That's a really neat and elegant solution for 2d. I've been working on something surprisingly similar!

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Sweet. Is that a real raycaster, or does it just look like it?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

steckles posted:

Sweet. Is that a real raycaster, or does it just look like it?

Yeah it's an old thing that I've used in a few different projects and I finally decided to add doors since I picked it up again to continue on a project.

I really like old software renderers and I've been wanting to write a doom style sector based renderer for a while, too.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Not sure where this goes but I made a tweet bot using twitter and Pillow.

https://twitter.com/wordtubebot

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

TheresaJayne posted:

if its on mobile, don't aim, tap where you want to connect and release when you want to drop it and let inertia continue,
so the aiming is done on throwing the rope to where the finger / mouse has been clicked/put

And for climbing / letting out more slack, a second finger can approach/retreat from the aim finger's position.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Doors sliding open in both directions + bonus battle scene

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

netcat posted:

Doors sliding open in both directions + bonus battle scene

This looks awesome! I was making a very similar game a while ago, I'm glad to see someone else making first person dungeon crawlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

This looks awesome! I was making a very similar game a while ago, I'm glad to see someone else making first person dungeon crawlers.

Thanks! I remember your stuff, though it looked a lot more polished than my game. :)