Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
1 out of 20 times you summon Moguri/Horsebird, you will get a Zaftig Horsebird because we have decided that the original language was :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baal posted:

If the entire language were literally just hiragana and katakana then the hardest hump to get over would be grammar and particles, which I still struggle with because it's loving annoying.
Nah the basic grammar is pretty straightforward. It's just that they have like half a dozen different situational structures, some of which are extremely archaic and only used and expected by like super old dudes in powerful corporations. And then there's linguistic culture shifts so even just fifteen years after I started learning it, the language and what's expected or acceptable in everyday exchanges is already pretty drat different. If you actually use that safe, basic grammar like you learn in your first year of American high school Japanese, everyone will understand you but you also end up sounding like a six-year-old.

and then to top it all off, you have fat white dudes with neckbeards who get extremely offended when high schoolers say "look at that fat white dude with the doof-rear end beard" behind their backs on the train

Terper posted:

You loving idiots just can't comprehend the literal artistic genius of these random rear end katakana I threw together for this mascot character, gently caress
Well no aren't Moogles supposed to be Molebats? Moogle is a much better name anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Translation probably needs more leeway than an absolute rule like this, but I don't know how you could go wrong post-SNES by giving it a translation if its conversational, and using whichever translation sounds the coolest if its a name of a technique yelled out while doing something cool. The second part should include collaboration between all the different translations happening to find the absolute coolest name to call it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

Let's just compromise and call Chocobos horsebirds

IIRC didn't they gently caress that up twice? First of all it was the characters for Horsebird, and then they goofed up the revison to the Japanese equivalent of "Chocopo". :haw:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Horsebirdalina is my favourite character

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
mash radiuyu and his buddy monburan

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bullet Wallass

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Help Im Alive posted:

Horsebirdalina is my favourite character

"nya nya horsebirdu horsebirdu"

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Baal posted:

Bullet Wallass

From what I remember of the game this is an entirely accurate translation.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

RUSSO KUREMENZO

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mega64 posted:

Let's just compromise and call Chocobos horsebirds like Iscar Matthias would have wanted.

Neptunia's got your back

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
lol "The Order of Action"

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I just want a FF game where the statement "It looks like this Fantasy... got a lot more Final" is spoken by a character in a Michael Bay slow pan style.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
He said the name of the game!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

"nya nya horsebirdu horsebirdu"

meow meow horsebird chow

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i just found out that ramza is in the new dissidia and am happy about this fact

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Well, whatever system I can play this game on (likely PS4), I am now buying. I MUST BE RAMZA.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope they get Phil Lamarr back and get Agrias in

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm waiting for Ultros to be playable, rather than a summon before I commit to Dissidia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm waiting for Ultros to be playable, rather than a summon before I commit to Dissidia.

Ultros will be a summon in the stage

Possibly

Maybe

There's a chance

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Well, whatever system I can play this game on (likely PS4), I am now buying. I MUST BE RAMZA.

I wonder what they'll do with his moveset, because he has like 7 attacks, and out of those three are buffs and one is healing. So that leaves Ultima, Throw Stone and Dash for offense, not exactly exciting stuff.

I guess they'll give him Divine/Holy/Dark Swordskills, but that clashes with my headcanon - maybe different Job options, like with Bartz?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 4, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

I wonder what they'll do with his moveset, because he has like 7 attacks, and out of those three are buffs and one is healing. So that leaves Ultima, Throw Stone and Dash for offense, not exactly exciting stuff.

I guess they'll give him Divine/Holy/Dark Swordskills, but that clashes with my headcanon - maybe different Job options, like with Bartz?

Well, since WOTL he has had access to Dark Swordskills. However, I really don't know, he could essentially have any skillset with any combination of abilities. SO I am really intrigued.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Well, since WOTL he has had access to Dark Swordskills. However, I really don't know, he could essentially have any skillset with any combination of abilities. SO I am really intrigued.

He can't have unique classes' abilities :spergin: But that still leaves quite a bit of versatility - seeing what they've done with Laguna... I have a good feeling!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Szurumbur posted:

Ramza's EX Mode transforms the game into a TRPG for 1 minute. Orange Fluffy Sheep picks up the game faster than you can say "the meta".

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

He can't have unique classes' abilities :spergin: But that still leaves quite a bit of versatility - seeing what they've done with Laguna... I have a good feeling!

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Knight_(Tactics)

It isn't a unique class. Gafgarion is a "Fell Knight" now.

This is the way!

Fister Roboto posted:

Call me when they put Agrias in.

I know that Chaos side has to be Delita, if anyone from FFT, but it would be amazing if chaos side was Argath/Algus.

Cuz that prick needs to get merc'd

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 4, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

alcharagia posted:

Call me when they put Agrias in.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Knight_(Tactics)

It isn't a unique class. Gafgarion is a "Fell Knight" now.

This is the way!

I know that Chaos side has to be Delita, if anyone from FFT, but it would be amazing if chaos side was Argath/Algus.

Oh, I know, but Dark Knight has two actual sword skills worthy of mention - I meant Divine/Ark/Holy etc. Knights, those were far more interesting and Beowulf abilities would be especially interesting in the setting of this Bravery oriented gameplay.

Agrias, Meliadoul, Rafa, Ovelia, Elmdor, Wiegraf... there are so many characters to choose from, but if Ramza is on one side, Delita has to be on the other, no way about it. I do hope for two characters on both sides eventually, continuing the trend from Duodecim.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Szurumbur posted:

Oh, I know, but Dark Knight has two actual sword skills worthy of mention - I meant Divine/Ark/Holy etc. Knights, those were far more interesting and Beowulf abilities would be especially interesting in the setting of this Bravery oriented gameplay.

Agrias, Meliadoul, Rafa, Ovelia, Elmdor, Wiegraf... there are so many characters to choose from, but if Ramza is on one side, Delita has to be on the other, no way about it. I do hope for two characters on both sides eventually, continuing the trend from Duodecim.

Marche and Mewt

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

It has two skills worth using in FFT, but in Dissidia, Abyssal Blade has and Unholy Sacrifice could easily be separate attacks, since they have different attack ranges. Not to mention Sanguine Sword (which I assume is one of the 2 you referred to). Thats 3 different attacks, throw in Ultima (which he will have to have) and maybe some black magic and you have yourself a character with diverse flavorful attack options ESPECIALLY if they set up Delita as the Holy Knight. It would be a good contrast.

corn in the bible posted:

Marche and Mewt
:frogout:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

It has two skills worth using in FFT, but in Dissidia, Abyssal Blade has and Unholy Sacrifice could easily be separate attacks, since they have different attack ranges. Not to mention Sanguine Sword (which I assume is one of the 2 you referred to). Thats 3 different attacks, throw in Ultima (which he will have to have) and maybe some black magic and you have yourself a character with diverse flavorful attack options ESPECIALLY if they set up Delita as the Holy Knight. It would be a good contrast.

:frogout:

I guess - I just don't really like the thought of Ramza using Dark Swordskills, it was Gafgarion's deal (and Orlandu's, I suppose). Still, that would be an interesting contrast, so I could live with that.

Then again, let them announce the actual moves before I start dissecting them :v: I'd like Ramza having only his Guts skillset, because it would look so ridiculous compared to everything else already in the game, but that joke would quickly become stale.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Madmarker posted:

Delita or Altima/Ultima, I'm guessing. Either could work pretty well.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

Delita or Altima/Ultima, I'm guessing. Either could work pretty well.

Altima is the wrong choice they would definitely make, ugh. It has to be Delita!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

corn in the bible posted:

Marche and Mewt

Oh HELL yeah!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress this Dark/Holy Sword bullshit, I want Ramza's attacks to be entirely scream-based or SE is dead(er) to me.

Leave the "rain shards of holiness" or "stab a person in the heart with a holy ground spike" attacks to Delita.

e: It's canon that Ramza defeats Weigraf by yelling over and over for hours until he's so fast he can stab/punch Weigraf twenty times before Weigraf can even blink. Weigraf is absorbed by a neverending cacophony of Ramza yelling as the darkness overtakes him.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 4, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this but thought I would try here anyway. I'm replaying FF8 for nostalgia sake with the intent of absolutely cheesing the hell out of it. I'm trying to get Dollet to drop the random rule from triple triad by carrying Galbadias rules to Dollet. Open has already spread through the Dollet region and so I can't get random to abolish there since Galbadia's rules of just same and open don't bring any new rules to Dollet. So how do I get Dollet to drop Random? a couple of guides I read said that I will have to introduce a new ruleset from elsewhere but they aren't clear on the specifics.

E: Also does the open rule have to spread first? I have a save point just before I enter Dollet a second time and before open has spread, is it worth reloading a bunch of times until random gets abolished instead of introducing open?

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 4, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Dollet has Elemental and Random. Because Galbadia does not, you can still mix using their rules. You don't need any new ones; just a different set.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Dollet has Elemental and Random. Because Galbadia does not, you can still mix using their rules. You don't need any new ones; just a different set.

That's what I thought, but when I first carry Galbadia's rules into Dollet and challenge someone to mix rules I get the message "open has spread in this region" which is all fine and good. Now next I want to get Dollet to drop Random, so I go back to Timber (Galbadia) and ask to play cards with the guard there over and over again until he stops asking me if I want to mix rulesets, I should be carrying Galbadia's rules with me now. However when I go back to Dollet nobody I challenge there even asks if I want to mix rules at all and if I go through with playing them random is still there.

I read that because the only rules Galbadia has are open and same AND since Dollet already has open and same (among other rules) I'm not introducing any new rules to Dollet so therefore I can't mix Galbadia with Dollet and will have to introduce something new like sudden death from elsewhere. Sorry if this is confusing I had to read a GameFAQs guide several times to get my head around it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Have you tried spreading in Dollet multiple times? There's a low but nonzero chance that the first person you talk to will just say "gently caress Galbadia's rules, we're playing with Dollet's" and you never get a chance to spread even though you're carrying Galbadia's rules.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah there's basically no way Delita isn't going to be the FFT Chaos rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I've been streaming FF8 and I was going to try for Lionheart on Disc 1 but gently caress grinding 20 Elnoyle cards in about 2 hours I got 4 of them total.