Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i hear tell that the wizard classes, with one exception, are actually garbage in the post game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There was a Famitsu interview about Nier with some breaking news in bold:.

quote:

-2B is one of the 3 main characters. But Saito says 'if you talk main character in traditional terms, there are 2' But Yoko insists there are 3.
-There are male type androids in the game as well
-Only androids participate in the battle to reclaim Earth. Humans don't get involved
-There are lots of unannounced weapons
-The flying thing in the trailer is called "Pot" It focuses on long-range attack so players can focus on close range attack
-pot speaks, but act more as navigation and doesn't have any feelings
-There is damage destruction on 2B's skirt. If you take certain amount of damage, it breaks. There is white leotard underneath
-The big enemy that was shown in the trailer is not a boss, but just one of bigger normal enemy. There are some really big enemies in the game
-Platinum games is working so you will be able to ride the Boar

-There are other animals like deer. You can probably ride them as well.

-Next time they release new info will be around Spring 2016.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why do so many PSP games use this kinda lovely font?

Was XSEED the culprit?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, that's the Xseed font, I don't know if other stuff used it too though.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It's probably because the first generation of psp had a really high refresh rate (which is bad).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bleusilences posted:

It's probably because the first generation of psp had a really high refresh rate (which is bad).

what

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The first generation of psp had a real bad case of ghosting to the point that I personally found it annoying to the point of frustration. If you look at the font it is a bit tick so it might be easier to read under such condition; or I am just over thinking it and it's just a lovely font.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

HGH posted:

The boar was so lovely in Neir that it was quicker to run than to try and aim the boar.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

if youve got a psp and dont have brandish then brandish your wallet and obtain it *falls in a hole*

the snes version of that game was disorienting as hell

i'm pretty sure i eventually beat it tho...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's just the generic font the PSP had. If you notice it's the same one that gets used when you're prompted to input something with the terrible 90's era cellphone text input screen. I assume it was just easier to use that font than license something else out or risk using something that looked like even bigger poo poo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

The boar was so lovely in Neir that it was quicker to run than to try and aim the boar.

:agreed:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

the snes version of that game was disorienting as hell

i'm pretty sure i eventually beat it tho...

psp is still kind of awkward, but letting you see the world rotate when you turn helps a lot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HGH posted:

quote:

-There is damage destruction on 2B's skirt. If you take certain amount of damage, it breaks. There is white leotard underneath

:japan:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Taint Reaper posted:

you shut the gently caress up, if you weren't boar drifting every time you had to cross the plains then you were playing nier wrong and you should die

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Coughing Hobo posted:

you shut the gently caress up, if you weren't boar drifting every time you had to cross the plains then you were playing nier wrong and you should die

please dont get taint reaped

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well that's kind of a fashion faux pas, isn't it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Xenoblade gets preorder pizza. 10$ of it. Might not be enough to give you cardiac arrest while you choke on fatty pieces of oily dough and cheese.

I know Fallout did socks too and popular games just love energy drink promotions but is this sorta trashy promotion common? Who preorders a game for socks/pizza?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Citizens of Earth is in the Humble pack. Was that actually a good game or is it just an overlong joke? Or both?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Its a terrible game "inspired" by Earthbound.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm finally closing in on finishing Legend of Legacy and the battles with 7+ enemies on screen at once that bring the 3DS to its knees while taking forever to finish are quickly becoming extremely frustrating. Also, I can now easily pinpoint the "singing shard" mechanic where several enemies can cast spells to make contracts while you *have* to either use a singing shard or be near an elemental relic in order to cast spells (maybe) to be the most annoying part of the battle system by far.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mill Village posted:

Its a terrible game "inspired" by Earthbound.

I don't feel compelled to buy Citizens of Earth because the main character on the cover is too off-putting. When I hear the names Earthbound/Mother 3 I picture a normal kid who goes on a strange, funny, and often heart-rending journey; what I don't picture is a smiling middle-aged politician who's on a campaign. There's too great a distance and too little that resonates. Also, a game needs to have more its premise beyond gobbing off Earthbound.

EDIT: Dropsy the clown is more appealing than this guy.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 4, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

bloodychill posted:

I'm finally closing in on finishing Legend of Legacy and the battles with 7+ enemies on screen at once that bring the 3DS to its knees while taking forever to finish are quickly becoming extremely frustrating. Also, I can now easily pinpoint the "singing shard" mechanic where several enemies can cast spells to make contracts while you *have* to either use a singing shard or be near an elemental relic in order to cast spells (maybe) to be the most annoying part of the battle system by far.

it is not a great game. very disappointing.

it has some nice points, but you pretty much hit on all the ones that make it too frustrating to be fun.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Coughing Hobo posted:

The boar is garbage if you rammed into the sheep it wouldn't even kill them.

I had to kill those 100 sheep by hand for the trophy.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Holy crap I started a game on Hard in Trails in the Sky since I figured having played it before on the PSP in Japanese I would be able to handle it. I almost got wiped by the group of enemies at the end of the tutorial dungeon. The AI is vicious. It will focus down characters if you let the enemies swarm you and don't try to do crowd control and focus on defensive tactics. I was worried a second playthrough wouldn't be able to hold my interest for 60+ hours, but I think the difficulty has made it a whole new experience.

Edit: Also can I just say that I really like the English voices and the slightly different flavor they give the characters from the original Japanese voices? Estelle sounds much less cutesy and Joshua sounds much less emo.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't feel compelled to buy Citizens of Earth because the main character on the cover is too off-putting. When I hear the names Earthbound/Mother 3 I picture a normal kid who goes on a strange, funny, and often heart-rending journey; what I don't picture is a smiling middle-aged politician who's on a campaign. There's too great a distance and too little that resonates. Also, a game needs to have more its premise beyond gobbing off Earthbound.

EDIT: Dropsy the clown is more appealing than this guy.

I feel like they name dropped Earthbound just to get more money on their Kickstarter. The whole thing feels uninspired and soulless.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Getsuya posted:

Edit: Also can I just say that I really like the English voices and the slightly different flavor they give the characters from the original Japanese voices? Estelle sounds much less cutesy and Joshua sounds much less emo.

They definitely did a good job picking voices for their characters. Estelle sounds like you'd imagine a girl at that age trying to do the responsible thing and living up to the family name and Joshua sounds exactly the supportive brother acting as the voice of reason when Estelle would let her black/white view of justice occasionally get the best of her. They definitely feel a lot more like a natural brother/sister combo by keeping their voices and the dialog a little more even-keeled.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 4, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, I want to play old-school Final Fantasy games and I don't want to do it via emulator if I can avoid it.

Is there some way to play Final Fantasy 1 and 2 on the PS3? What consoles have the games and what's the best ports available where?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, I want to play old-school Final Fantasy games and I don't want to do it via emulator if I can avoid it.

Is there some way to play Final Fantasy 1 and 2 on the PS3? What consoles have the games and what's the best ports available where?

Steam has 3-8 and 13. PSN has 3-13, both are sans 6 and 12. 1, 2, and 6 are on phones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/final-fantasy-origins-(psone-classic)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ01541_00-0000000000000001

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
At this point one can play FF1-10 legally on a Vita. Not the ideal versions of all the games but still kind of a neat thing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Caveat: the PS1 versions of FF1-2 and 4-6 are probably the worst possible versions of those games including the NES/SNES originals, adding load times and similar bullshit with few if any upsides from the originals. The version of FF4 on Steam is the DS port, which is fine and kind of interesting if you've played it before, but punitively difficult if you haven't and adds new gameplay mechanics that fundamentally change the nature of the game. FF1-3 have never been great games and if you've never played them there's probably no version of any of them that you'll love.

I'd recommend the following platforms for playing old Final Fantasy...

1: PSP, GBA, NES
2: PSP, GBA, Famicom w/ patch
3: Steam, Famicom w/ patch
4: PSP, SNES (or SFAM w/ patch)
5: SFAM w/ patch, GBA
6: SNES, GBA
7: Steam
8: Steam
9: PSN store
10: PS3/4 HD

ROMs really are the best way to play the SNES games in particular unless you're willing to dig out old hardware and pay new game prices for used carts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Final Fantasy Origins was perfectly fine. If anything, I hear it's Advance that kinda sucks as it makes the difficulty laughable and for babbies. Well, for FF1. FF2's difficulty is a bizarre thing that rests solely upon whether you want to break it or not.

But I'm crazy and like FF2.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

ROMs really are the best way to play the SNES games in particular unless you're willing to dig out old hardware and pay new game prices for used carts.

I remember that glorious period during the N64 and early Gamecube era where SNES carts were dirt cheap. I still have my copies of Chrono Trigger and Lufia 2, though I have to emulate the latter because of the graphical glitches in places like the Dual Blade shrine.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Any version of Final Fantasy 3 is bad, you have the original bad game, and the ds remake that makes it an even deeper kind of bad.

1 and 2 are pretty unremarkable at this point any version of them is honestly fine, every version you play is going to be dull.

4,5, and 6 are where the 2D Final Fantasies get "good". But 4 has an asinine difficulty curve unless you're playing the SNES version, the SNES Easytype version, or the PSP version. 5 has an interesting job system, but the dungeons are meh and nothing gets all that exciting until the final boss. 6 is the best of the 2D ones and has many interesting bits to do throughout the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Indivisible, the soon-to-be greatest let down in crowd-funding failure, put out their latest update on the project

quote:

Lab Zero has told Polygon that its upcoming action-RPG Indivisible will feature crossover characters from a range of indie games as Incarnations.

Here’s the full list of guest characters revealed so far (more are expected to be confirmed):

Annie from Skullgirls
Calibretto from Battle Chasers
The Drifter from Hyper Light Drifter
Juan from Guacamelee
Lea from Curses N’ Chaos
Shovel Knight from Shovel Knight
Zackasaurus from Super Time Force Ultra

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/3/9666784/lab-zero-indivisible-shovel-knight-super-time-force-guest-characters

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I really want to get in to first-person dungeon crawlers. The old ones. I've poked at them a few times but never really sat down to play through one since I was a kid playing through Eye of the Beholder (which I loved to death). Between the offerings at both GOG and Steam what would be the best ones to start out with? I'm looking at the old-timey ones, so not stuff like Legend of Grimrock (which I have played and really enjoyed as well).

One thing that's important though is that I don't have much time per session to play these. I would be sitting down for maybe 30 minutes to an hour per day. I'd like a game that would be rewarding even in small chunks like that.

I was thinking of picking up Elminage Gothic since it's only $3, or Wizardry 6+7 since they're going for $5 for the pair but even at the low prices I didn't want to pick up games I might never get around to playing, so I wanted to get some opinions about the genre first before rushing in. Currently I own Might and Magic 1-6 and Bard's Tale 1-3 (they were the only reason I bought the new Bard's Tale, since it comes with the original ones).

Oh and Shining in the Darkness.

V At the moment I only have a PC for playing things on.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 5, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
If you have a DS, you could always pick up The Dark Spire. It's brutal, but not unforgiving: built to have that old school WPRG feel (no animes, unlike Etrian Odyssey, if that's a dealbreaker for you) without making you deal with poo poo like age and equipment condition. It's meaner than EO, too, though.

Elminage is okay, but it's like a hardass version of Dark Spire. Keep track of age! Savescum! Examine every direction in every square! Grind like three levels before you can even leave the first room! It's a first person dungeon crawler with absolutely none of the modern amenities. I thought it was pretty fun, but I eventually burned out on it :(

I'll suggest you skip Paper Sorcerer. Great in concept, but then it makes a bunch of unforgivable missteps, from basic poo poo like not letting you name your characters (in a Wizardry game! Jeez!) to aesthetic stuff like having a terrible soundtrack (the composer didn't even bother making his songs loop) all the way down to a code level (I ran into tons of game-breaking bugs because they run the combat in a hack of their first person exploration engine, which is like something out of Bethesda's playbook).

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 5, 2015

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Getsuya posted:

I really want to get in to first-person dungeon crawlers. The old ones. I've poked at them a few times but never really sat down to play through one since I was a kid playing through Eye of the Beholder (which I loved to death). Between the offerings at both GOG and Steam what would be the best ones to start out with? I'm looking at the old-timey ones, so not stuff like Legend of Grimrock (which I have played and really enjoyed as well).

One thing that's important though is that I don't have much time per session to play these. I would be sitting down for maybe 30 minutes to an hour per day. I'd like a game that would be rewarding even in small chunks like that.

I was thinking of picking up Elminage Gothic since it's only $3, or Wizardry 6+7 since they're going for $5 for the pair but even at the low prices I didn't want to pick up games I might never get around to playing, so I wanted to get some opinions about the genre first before rushing in. Currently I own Might and Magic 1-6 and Bard's Tale 1-3 (they were the only reason I bought the new Bard's Tale, since it comes with the original ones).

Oh and Shining in the Darkness.

V At the moment I only have a PC for playing things on.

I don't know if you're stuck on turn-based offerings, but I think you might like Ultima Underworld. Both games are on GOG for 6 bucks and I found them to be nice, old-school offerings without being too obtuse or dated. I recommend taking notes, but there's an automap feature so you don't need to be too obsessive. It's free-moving too, not grid based. https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_underworld_1_2

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Getsuya posted:

I'm obviously biased because I fuckin' love the series but Might and Magic 3 through 6 sound like a pretty solid choice for your circumstances, especially since you already own them: they're relatively accessible (it's pretty much impossible to seriously screw yourself over in terms of party composition as long as you don't purposely set out to make a weird gimmick party), and you can save your game at any time except in combat so you don't need to be able to play for extended sessions. Speaking of combat, it's usually fast-paced unless you're fighting something you're out of your depth against, and you don't have to deal with random encounters: once you clear an area out it mostly stays cleared out. Skip the first two games; I love them dearly but you can only save your game at the inns in towns and that's probably gonna be frustrating if you might only be able to play for a half-hour at a time.

Wizardry 6 and 7 are a looot more complex and unforgiving (even setting aside the character creation and combat system, you get to deal with fun features like trying to track down which NPC found a plot-important item before you did and walked off with it). Elminage Gothic is much closer mechanically to Wizardry than M&M but with some modern quality of life features so it's a lot less punishing overall, and for $3 it's a good place to start if you want to know if Wizardry-style gameplay appeals to you.

I wouldn't encourage you to start with the Bard's Tale series, as they're even more unforgiving than the later Wizardry games but with less depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Indivisible, the soon-to-be greatest let down in crowd-funding failure, put out their latest update on the project

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/3/9666784/lab-zero-indivisible-shovel-knight-super-time-force-guest-characters

I'm impressed they actually got almost half the money they need by now. I'm also sad that there's no way in hell they can get the rest in just 10 days.