Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

L0cke17 posted:

I really hate this argument every time people bring up miracles. If you are quick enough at performing the mechanical actions of topping, setting up your draws etc. you will almost never go to time. I have gone to time once in the last ~six months or so. More often that not what eats up the clock is your opponent who thinks they can find an out to the soft-lock wasting most of the time. With enough practice the games go very very fast, and prompting your opponent to play quicker early in the match if they are playing slowly.

If that is true than good for you but it's not for the vast majority of people who play the deck. The argument that your opponent should concede to you is a joke. You're the one choosing to play that deck being able to win within the allotted time is part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Someone in the reddit legacy thread, who is just having fun coming to grasp with this, posted that SCG said something about Miracles drives down viewership? Like a commentator on some podcast mentioned it somewhere that nobody really likes to watch top activation.dec

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

L0cke17 posted:

I really hate this argument every time people bring up miracles. If you are quick enough at performing the mechanical actions of topping, setting up your draws etc. you will almost never go to time. I have gone to time once in the last ~six months or so. More often that not what eats up the clock is your opponent who thinks they can find an out to the soft-lock wasting most of the time. With enough practice the games go very very fast, and prompting your opponent to play quicker early in the match if they are playing slowly.

Sorry, but no. If every time I try to resolve a spell or end my turn, you have to rearrange the top 3, it's not me that's making the game go to time. Doesn't matter how "very fast" you are.

And gently caress any miracles player that tells me to play more quickly because their deck requires so much manipulation.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

Someone in the reddit legacy thread, who is just having fun coming to grasp with this, posted that SCG said something about Miracles drives down viewership? Like a commentator on some podcast mentioned it somewhere that nobody really likes to watch top activation.dec

It's terrible to watch in a physical environment. Most of the time, no one knows what the 3 cards floating on top are, so the viewer is just watching a guy looking at 3 unknown card and then flipping one over every now and then while failing to find a win condition.

Online where you can have access to the cards they're looking at, how their stacked, etc, gives the viewer more of an idea what is going on, the possible lines of play, etc.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
final scene of inception, except he's spinning sensei's divining top then it cuts to joseph gordon-levitt pulling his hair and screaming "BAN TOP"

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

L0cke17 posted:

I played Miracles for about a year, casually for the first six months and then weekly for the latter six. I rarely went to time (only vs opponents who were slow anyway), but I was always watching the clock and was often the last match going in our 10-20 player local. Now I play Delver (RUG or BUG depending on mood) and finish early without ever watching a clock or rushing a slow opponent.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
what percent of people's lives is greater, time spent posting about top on the internet or waiting for their opponents to spin top? guessing the former bc as far as i can tell goons don't play magic

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i played in like 75% of your things

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you're no goon, you're a space station!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I find xmage and all those clients incredibly aggravating. I try to skip phases and I end up clicking the skip to end of turn right as the game shifts to my untap step then I pick a land to play and whoops that was actually the discard phase.

What I'm saying is I'm too dumb for the rules enforced clients.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

If that is true than good for you but it's not for the vast majority of people who play the deck. The argument that your opponent should concede to you is a joke. You're the one choosing to play that deck being able to win within the allotted time is part of the game.

I didnt say they should just concede, but quite often people tank multiple times trying to think of a way out, wasting a lot of time.

Cactrot posted:

Sorry, but no. If every time I try to resolve a spell or end my turn, you have to rearrange the top 3, it's not me that's making the game go to time. Doesn't matter how "very fast" you are.

And gently caress any miracles player that tells me to play more quickly because their deck requires so much manipulation.

Then by your logic the miracle mirror match should always go to time, yet the mirror is often over in less than half an hour. And I never said I was telling other people to play quickly because my deck was slow. I said when other players play slowly to remind them to speed up. But I will never convince salty nerds on the internet with words or experience, so I will just stop trying after this.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

L0cke17 posted:

Miracles! :angel:

I want to play Miracles some day, but in the meantime I've slowly been cobbling together pieces to finish ANT (since I had a lot of pieces leftover from Dredge, which shared pieces with Breakfast Burrito, my first 'legitimate' Legacy deck); is it a better idea to transition from deck to deck or should I just work towards Miracles?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So I'm building Lands because I love fun and fun things, and it's real weird getting back into a format I havent played since the early 2000s. I own two Tiagas now, my first duals in 15 years!

Well, thats my story.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

So I'm building Lands because I love fun and fun things, and it's real weird getting back into a format I havent played since the early 2000s. I own two Tiagas now, my first duals in 15 years!

Well, thats my story.

I've spent the last two weekly legacys getting my poo poo pushed in (my only two since the banning of Dig) after previously being a lot better and winning with it so I think the meta has shifted terminally for lands (or taking a hiatus for like 7 weeks and moving into a new meta is bad for playing).

Seriously though, there's poo poo like reanimator and storm and about a million shardless bug / hymn / D&T decks in my local meta now which is a pain in the rear end.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Does anyone have experience with Temur Twin? I've been playing Grixis Twin for a while now (the version without mb hand hate or Jaces), and haven't really enjoyed it that much. I love having the "I Win" button, but prefer trying to go for creature beats first over combo. I decided to throw together a really creature heavy list with scooze and goyf that I'm thinking of building towards. I'm hoping to get some advice on this list and maybe pointed towards a few good articles on the archetype. There seems to be a lot of material on Grixis and UR, but not on Temur. Is there a reason other than cost to build RUG Twin isn't played as often?

Creatures:

2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Bounding Krasis
3 Deceiver Exarch
2 Huntmaster of the Fells

Spells:

1 Dispel
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Snare
4 Remand
1 Roast
1 Electrolize
2 Cryptic Command
3 Splinter Twin

Lands:

1 Breeding Pool
1 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Forest
1 Hinterland Harbor
4 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
2 Sulfur Falls
1 Wooded Foothills

I understand that Bounding Krasis may not be better than pestermite, but I figure that trying two out may not be the worst, given that its a quick fix if the lizard fish ends up not working.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sigma-X posted:

I've spent the last two weekly legacys getting my poo poo pushed in (my only two since the banning of Dig) after previously being a lot better and winning with it so I think the meta has shifted terminally for lands (or taking a hiatus for like 7 weeks and moving into a new meta is bad for playing).

Seriously though, there's poo poo like reanimator and storm and about a million shardless bug / hymn / D&T decks in my local meta now which is a pain in the rear end.

With the exception of storm all of those matchups have been pretty good for me (and from what I've heard, they should be). What's your current build?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

With the exception of storm all of those matchups have been pretty good for me (and from what I've heard, they should be). What's your current build?

It's pretty stock r/g combo (my board runs 2 chalice 3 sphere 3 choke, 1 molten vortex, 4 kgrip, karakas, bojuka bog, boseiju) honestly I think my bigger issues have been some incorrect mulligans / bad luck (both nights I had multiple games where I couldn't find loving lands until I hit 5 cards).

I have no idea how to beat reanimator when they're comboing off turn 2 for the first time, and I only have 1 bojuka bog and chalice/sphere effects are too slow. My opponent correctly went for Tidespout Tyrant both games and the deck is just cold to that once it resolves.

BUG and D&T have been all about hitting early threats and wastelands and I've had two different matches with maindeck meddling mages naming PFires and a bunch of good pithing needles.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah the build I'm running has mainboard Karakas + 3 Mazes so reanimator hasn't been an issue. The others are just kind of a general favorable I think, but I havent run in to maindeck meddling mage. Are you running a Tabernacle? That seems to slow people down enough for me to be able to get decent time against. Having a single ghost quarter mainboard has been great too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bhsman posted:

I want to play Miracles some day, but in the meantime I've slowly been cobbling together pieces to finish ANT (since I had a lot of pieces leftover from Dredge, which shared pieces with Breakfast Burrito, my first 'legitimate' Legacy deck); is it a better idea to transition from deck to deck or should I just work towards Miracles?

I play both ANT and countertop and both are cool and good. transition between them, imo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chill la Chill posted:

I play both ANT and countertop and both are cool and good. transition between them, imo.

Given infinite resources, this wouldn't be an issue. It's more about what to allocate resources towards, ever so slowly. At least with ANT I have a good chunk of the pieces already so my inclination is to finish it, but I ultimately want to build Miracles (which is also super expensive).

I feel like I'm kinda begging the question and should just finish ANT.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh that's what you mean. Yeah ANT. it has a decent name and you won't cause discussions like this last page.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah the build I'm running has mainboard Karakas + 3 Mazes so reanimator hasn't been an issue. The others are just kind of a general favorable I think, but I havent run in to maindeck meddling mage. Are you running a Tabernacle? That seems to slow people down enough for me to be able to get decent time against. Having a single ghost quarter mainboard has been great too.

I've got tab mainboard, 3 mazes mainboard, no mainboard karakas.

I need to retool the deck a bit and change up my sideboard, it's mostly me not adapting to the meta at all and learning new matchups.

Although I'm more likely to change it into u/g 12-post because I want to cast newlamog and show and tell.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I played a bunch of Legacy at GP Lyon with Miracles the weekend just gone and went to time exactly zero times :shrug:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

I played a bunch of Legacy at GP Lyon with Miracles the weekend just gone and went to time exactly zero times :shrug:

What a coincidence! I spent the weekend jerking my deck too.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

You can have all the Karakas and Mazes as you want, they wont save you from the Tyrant.

From the Reanimator side, this matchup definitely feels very "winable" but that's not to say it isn't typically painful, and if you stutter too much you're gonna get locked so hard.

I may or may not have died to punishing fire last time I played the matchup.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

At GP New Jersey I saw a Lands/Reanimator match go to time and lands just fired the guy out in turns. 1-0 win.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

At GP New Jersey I saw a Lands/Reanimator match go to time and lands just fired the guy out in turns. 1-0 win.

Jesus. If I was down to 15 minutes in Game 1 of that match I'd just scoop and go for the 2-0 post-board, way higher chance of that working...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think the reanimator guy saw no way for his opponent to win and kept thoughtseizing and casting reanimate. I bet he figured he would win 1-0.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

I think the reanimator guy saw no way for his opponent to win and kept thoughtseizing and casting reanimate. I bet he figured he would win 1-0.

back when I played prison lands I had so many 1-0 games where the opponent was like "I'll win eventually, there's no way he can win this game, despite the fact I've been unable to do anything for 20 turns" and then I'd finally cast mindslaver and they'd still think "I can win this through mindslaver lock I just do things on their turn!" and then it would take them like 5 turns of "don't pay for tabernacle, wasteland your own land, crack fetch fail to find, tap all mana at EOT" to decide that they were going to draw force of will, and it wasn't until the first time they drew force and suddenly their turn consisted of "cast brainstorm, force my own brainstorm" that they'd finally scoop.

Of course you can actually deck them in like 2 minutes with mindslaver if you don't make a bunch of bad plays on their turn but after they had burnt most of the clock I'd much rather continue to burn it out so that there's no opportunity for them to sideboard and take a game 2. If they want to think they have a chance to come back I'm not going to spell it out for them that they don't.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sigma-X posted:

Modern loam decks seem really bad, they have all the fragility of legacy loam decks but without anything remotely resembling a powerful play.

I've liked it so far. I can generally outgrind any deck I come across like grixis/gbx. The Tron matchup is favorable along with most aggro decks, I haven't played against burn yet.

The powerful plays are certainly less than legacies, but what deck played in both isn't less powerful in modern?

Things I can do: ravens crime away hands, destroy all their lands (slowly), 1-3 shocks a turn with vortex, lotv, lingering souls, play haakon into kotr as a 13/13 or nameless inversion their board over a few turns.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

I've liked it so far. I can generally outgrind any deck I come across like grixis/gbx. The Tron matchup is favorable along with most aggro decks, I haven't played against burn yet.

The powerful plays are certainly less than legacies, but what deck played in both isn't less powerful in modern?

Things I can do: ravens crime away hands, destroy all their lands (slowly), 1-3 shocks a turn with vortex, lotv, lingering souls, play haakon into kotr as a 13/13 or nameless inversion their board over a few turns.

I love assault loam, can you share a list of all this nonsense?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Everblight posted:

I love assault loam, can you share a list of all this nonsense?

Here's a link

https://deckbox.org/sets/1207446

A guy named Billy ?coliminos? played it at an SCG thing, the one where Adam Bowman top 8d with coco slivers.

I'm thinking of changing the leyline of the voids to things that are easier to play, bojuka bogs or scrabbling claws, I dunno.

The big improvement was really molten vortex. Paying for the activation sucks but playing it turn 1 before they have a spell Pierce up is great and R is waaay easier on the mana base than RRR

Edit: the pharoah is awesome too.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 4, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the interaction with Haakon on the Changeling Spells/KotR loving owns

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

AgentSythe posted:

the interaction with Haakon on the Changeling Spells/KotR loving owns

I killed an opponents scooze with a gy inversion after he ate my darkblast and then tapped out for elvish archdruid. His jaw dropped it was p funny.

I love this and am considering foiling it out even I never do well with it (2-2 is my best record so far)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Is there a concern of losing Real Hard to RiP? The deck looks fun otherwise.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Assault Loam is super fun and really not a very good deck

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Won Modern night second week in a row beating Mono U Tron (lost game 2 because I didn't draw an answer to Platinum Angel before they Emrakul'd when they had -1 life, next draw was Harbinger :sigh:), Jund, Naya Burn, and Twin. The fish fear is real

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
any of you other nerds seatacing this weekend

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

black potus posted:

any of you other nerds seatacing this weekend

I'll be down there scrubbing out with Merfolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

Here's a link

https://deckbox.org/sets/1207446

A guy named Billy ?coliminos? played it at an SCG thing, the one where Adam Bowman top 8d with coco slivers.

I'm thinking of changing the leyline of the voids to things that are easier to play, bojuka bogs or scrabbling claws, I dunno.

The big improvement was really molten vortex. Paying for the activation sucks but playing it turn 1 before they have a spell Pierce up is great and R is waaay easier on the mana base than RRR

Edit: the pharoah is awesome too.

holy poo poo this looks way more fun than I would have thought it would be.

• Locked thread