Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Yep, that's my blue move."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Beagle is also possessing of BeagleLuck, which gets him into the worst of situations by missing98% shots and then winning by hitting a series of 40% shots. His plans are interesting when they come together and when they fail theyre amazingly entertaining as he makes his way out of them.

Yeah I had a watch of the current LP going and the absolute shitstain of a situation that they wound up in - officer bleeding out, all pods activated, 'Lids right up in their grill. It was cathartic watching how they got out of it, especially the moment the assault dashed out of cover to Alloy Cannon the last Exalt in the face.

I've done that before.

A lot.

Also, speaking of the BeagleLuck, anyone seen this series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz1e7fHRMWg

I usually don't like video LPs, but the clever editing in that one is really giving me the giggles - keep an eye out for "Australias content bonus".

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Beagle is a fantastic XCOM player and I've learned a ton by watching him play. Most of the time he's joking (which is good and fills the gaps, and I like his humor) but when he gets into technical details or tactical advice is actually really insightful. pewdiedie I only know from that South Park episode and I really don't see how he could teach me anything about video games.

So I'd say there's some difference between the two, all goon favoritism aside.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Frankie is also kinda cool. He mostly plays FPS games and these days he does a lot of sponsored cinematic stuff, but he's always entertaining and a good shot. Look up his ARK videos for a good laugh.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rougey posted:

Also, speaking of the BeagleLuck, anyone seen this series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz1e7fHRMWg

I usually don't like video LPs, but the clever editing in that one is really giving me the giggles - keep an eye out for "Australias content bonus".

If you can call two episodes a "series"...

That's really the problem with clever editing, it takes up heaps of your time and interferes with actually producing videos - especially for something you're doing regularly instead of as a one-off.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
(Promise this is the last time I'll talk about voice packs for a while here)

Before I forget, don't think I ever posted this here before. If anyone is in a Fallout mood since Fallout 4 is coming out...this is the voice pack I give all of my rookies until they prove themselves worthy of a real voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc053J75aD8

Also more on topic, holy poo poo Long War improved a lot since I last played it. Friendly Skies is the best drat thing to ever happen to it, I hated the air game but that's awesome.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 2, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

amanasleep posted:

Beagle is also a legitimately cool and chill dude who loves XCOM more than any other single human.

I dunno if it's love or just plain obsession and compulsion to keep playing that he devotes this loving much time to all those long war livestreams. I mean...by comparison I've loved XCOM since I was a teenager and RPed the poo poo out of old XCOM crap, but eventually the time came to focus on school and I stopped with that until recently.

But Beagle man...if you'll pardon the pun, he's like a dog with a bone when it comes to XCOM to the point where I sometimes worry about him.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 2, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah it's weird that the guy who makes money playing XCOM plays XCOM so much.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I was thinking of doing one more XCOM:EW playthrough since i'm looking for a game to play until fallout 4 comes out, the medium war mod sounds like the way to go for a ~week long playthrough?(with a lot of free time that is)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So on some actual XCOM2 news, how do you like the sound of sentient alien-power armor?

https://xcom.com/news/en-dont-get-in-the-andromedons-way-in-xcom-2

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Their is a critter in there and apparently it can operate the suit independently. Plus it's immune to all special ammo.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Our observations have also revealed the Andromedon is immune to fire, poison and acid, so don’t bother wasting your enhanced ammunition when encountering this elite alien unit. We’ve even heard sporadic reports that the Andromedon’s Battlesuit can act independent of its host, though we’re unable to confirm at this time.

Meaning if you land a headshot and take out the driver, the battlesuit still works? Targeted shots confirmed?!?!?! Please please please please

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Originally I wanted to say Mutons in power armor, but that creature doesn't look like a muton, and it says that the suit can work independently so...

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'm not the only one seeing a Big Daddy from Bioshock in that alien suit right. Because it looks like a futuristic Big Daddy to me.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

There had better be some amazing tactical benefits to gain from cutting that thing open.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Huszsersvn posted:

There had better be some amazing tactical benefits to gain from cutting that thing open.

Bipedal SHIV 2.0.

Seriously though, the endgame needs to lets me research this and armor up my soldiers into Elementals from Battletech for the victory lap phase.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

MrDorf posted:

Bipedal SHIV 2.0.

Seriously though, the endgame needs to lets me research this and armor up my soldiers into Elementals from Battletech for the victory lap phase.

I was just thinking it looks like an Elemental, too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hack the suit, problem solved

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah, the 'operate independent of the driver' bit read to me less as 'oh no it'll keep fighting after you... kill it?' and more 'override their input and set that baby to work!'

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

But only after headshotting the operator.

The lineup of enemies in XCOM2 is looking really great though. Anything not ADVENT is going to be loving scary.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm not the only one seeing a Big Daddy from Bioshock in that alien suit right. Because it looks like a futuristic Big Daddy to me.

Considering its design is to keep whatever's alive from our icky atmosphere with all its oxygen... Yes. Absolutely. And I love it. :magical:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Demiurge4 posted:

The lineup of enemies in XCOM2 is looking really great though. Anything not ADVENT is going to be loving scary.

Yeah I love all the designs they've shown so far. EU/EW did okay with bringing a modern take on the old UFO enemies and now it seems they're not afraid to extrapolate and bring in completely new ideas. The archon and andromedon are pretty good examples of this.

I hope the ethereals get a ton of psi powers to play with. Would they be above the practice of incorporating human DNA, given how they talked in the temple ship?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, February feels so drat far away right now..

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

buttcoinbrony posted:

Meaning if you land a headshot and take out the driver, the battlesuit still works? Targeted shots confirmed?!?!?! Please please please please

Could be that if you disable the guy in the suit with some kind of mind power the suit still goes ahead with orders (ie: kill you).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Furism posted:

Could be that if you disable the guy in the suit with some kind of mind power the suit still goes ahead with orders (ie: kill you).

I think it makes sense that if you score a critical and kill the pilot yhr suit goes on a rampage because it no longer cares about self preservation, might even get an extra move like a berserker. I think it'd be super cool if you can then hack and capture the suit and that's the only way to bring it back intact.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's probably random chance when you kill it or do enough damage.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Colapops posted:

I was just thinking it looks like an Elemental, too.

I was thinking that looked like a Kanazuchi, but that's a type of Battletech battlearmor, so yeah.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
I don't know how you people can get through a EW Classic game without losing countries from Xcom, I'm playing a near perfect, save-scumming ground game and things are still spiraling out of control at the strategic level. Building satellites like mad but it's not enough.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I don't know how you people can get through a EW Classic game without losing countries from Xcom, I'm playing a near perfect, save-scumming ground game and things are still spiraling out of control at the strategic level. Building satellites like mad but it's not enough.

A fair bit of it is luck. You need to have a bit of good rolls as far as where abductions and terror missions pop up. Also you sell a lot of grey market stuff to get that extra satellite in month 1, which gives more cash to build more satellites in month 2, etc.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Talk us through your strategic-layer plan, because save-scumming is only going to protect you mission-to-mission (tactical layer) not make your overall plan foolproof. There has to be a fundamental flaw somewhere, as ironman on classic should be extremely reliable for minimum casualties/loses if you've got a good plan.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You have to both be lucky with abduction locations and be aware that continents no longer get abductions when all the relevant nations are covered by sattelites. Optimal play includes dumping terror onto one continent (excess terror goes away) and then covering the whole continent with sattelites at the end of the month, preventing them from leaving and preventing further terror escalation in those countries (given tactical missions are won).

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

It's not just winning missions either. Are you capturing strategically-important targets (outsider, etc) in order to get your plot-important tech before the panic-spiral sets-in? Are you dealing with every mission that comes up? Are you just deploying satellites as-soon-as-possible, rather than at the end of the month? Are you deploying them over 1-panic countries instead of 5-panic countries? Sat-rushing is a strong plan, but it's not foolproof.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is (vanilla) terror site location random? IIRC the early terror missions usually help me to keep every country because they happened in places with high panic.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
You shouldn't have to get lucky to keep all countries playing Ironman Classic, so long as you're not failing/skipping missions and smart about your abduction site choices you ought to be able to do it consistently.

Even if you're not doing the uber min-max satellite rush you should have plenty to save the odd country that needs it on the last day of the month (save the alien base for the last day of whichever month you're doing it too).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

monthly reminder

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

"Is *this* what the Commander does for fun? At least he's not saying...snektits."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bholder posted:

So on some actual XCOM2 news, how do you like the sound of sentient alien-power armor?

https://xcom.com/news/en-dont-get-in-the-andromedons-way-in-xcom-2
Only if people mod in Titus Burgess' lines from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for this.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

monthly reminder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013