Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
What shits me the most about Van Badham is that her argument goes like this:
'Petulant Greens! Do not take away our precious Tanya Plibersek, bastion of the left, fighter of injustice!'
- But didn't she vote for the specific detention of child refugees?
'Yes, and I condemned Labor for it at the time!!! [see vague link that doesnt really condemn], and plus she was beholden to the party line!!
- So if she can't do any of her lefty injustice fighting poo poo why does her spot in parliament need defending? why can't it go to someone else that can stand up for that sort of thing?
'gently caress you you try to confuse!! '

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Our future preselected politicians

quote:

NLS, Grassroots, and SAlt were the big winners at last night’s #RepsElect, as they claimed the majority of executive positions and with it, control of next year’s SRC. A summary of the deal that saw NLS break from its fellow Labor factions can be seen here. Going further back, a summary of the broken deal, which saw Labor and the Liberals unite can be seen here.

The night was not without controversy, however, starting two hours late after a coordinated attempt by SLS and Unity to pull quorum, the arrival of the police, the arrival of campus security, and a sustained blackout that cut the lights—and was eventually revealed to be the result of someone deliberately tampering with the fusebox. Paper was also thrown and insults hurled, as the night threatened to move from verbal and emotional abuse to physical at any point. An in-depth summary of these shenanigans can be seen below. It also saw USyd stupol (alienating, insular as it is) revealed warts and all to everyone as #repselect became the number one trending topic on twitter in Australia, with interested parties from the SMH, Junkee, and the ABC descending to cover it.

The evening turned particularly hostile during the elections for the Environment and Refugee portfolios. The Environmental Officer, which is traditionally selected autonomously by the Enviro Collective, saw its autonomy breached with the election of SLS’s Michelle Picone, who went on to decry “the exclusionary norms” that define collective organising on campus. Picone, who spoke in favour of nuclear power, will be the first pro-nuclear Environment Officer in living memory. Subsequently, SLS’s Harry Stratton briefly nominated for Refugee Officer, concluding his speech and withdrawing his nomination on claiming “offshore processing saves lives” to the boos of the crowd. What followed was a protracted argument between Unity/SLS and Grassroots/SAlt, with the majority of SAlt members removed from the chambers by the returning officer while Stratton gleamed on.

In terms of positions, the deal as previously reported to Honi mostly stood up, with some slight deviations. General Secretary, previously split between Grassroots and NLS, was now divided between Georgia Mantle (Grassroots) and Lachlan Ward, the SLS splitter who left his faction in protest of their dealing with Liberals. Ward has since been accepted into NLS. Similarly, Education—which was promised wholly to Grassroots—was divided between Liam Carrigan (Grassroots) and Dylan Griffiths (Solidarity). Wom*n’s officer, which was originally rumoured to have its autonomy threatened by SLS, was elected without a hitch to autonomously pre-selected candidates: Vanessa Song and Anna Hush. The majority of the remaining results can be seen here.

The meeting finally concluded at midnight, with returning officer Paulene Grahame upholding the election of all candidates, pending legal arbitration. SLS and Unity departed singing Solidarity Forever, leaving their corner of the room festooned with garbage, which the remaining members of Grassroots cleaned up.

The Fracas, Summarised:

Unity and SLS councillors arrived in defaced Chloe Smith for President shirts, having replaced Chloe’s name with “Rat”. Those who didn’t have them wore a variety of Stand Up attire, and circulated how to votes and screencaps of Facebook conversations that alleges Liam Carrigan and Tahlia Chloe, negotiators from Grassroots, had also attempted to negotiate with Liberals. However, sources indicate that Grassroots were not aware of the factional allegiances of the Ayy Lmao ticket, and would not knowingly negotiate with Liberals.

Before the meeting could be opened, SLS councillor Oliver Plunkett demanded a quorum count, prompting the departure of all SLS and Unity councillors in an attempt to force the meeting to lapse. Outgoing President Kyol Blakeney instead argued for a delay, allowing quorum to be met by the arrival of councillor Siobhan Ryan. Honi understands a legal challenge has been lodged by SLS/Unity, demanding Reps Elect be declared invalid due to a regulations dispute over whether Blakeney was allowed to delay rather than lapse the meeting. Returning Officer Paulene Graham upheld the election of all candidates on the night, pending further legal arbitration.

Unity councillor Michael Elliott’s phone disappeared, and the Returning Officer demanded everyone be quiet so the phone could be rung and located. The phone was found in the bin.

After this attempt to pull quorum, a number of arguments erupted in the audience, with members from both sides interchangeably attempting to bar the door to keep the others out. The police were called, and arrived saying they had been called “maybe six times” but “were not sure why [they] were here.”

After the police departed, campus security arrived, claiming a number of individuals had felt threatened, and subsequently threatened closing the meeting themselves.

After campus security departed, and just before the 7:54 PM quorum count, the lights in the Professorial Board Room turned off. Quorum count proceeded in the dark—and yes, we did now have quorum—and further inspection revealed that an unidentified person had tampered with the fusebox.

By this point, a reporter from the SMH and an editor of Junkee had arrived to cover the event. A motion was then moved to have them removed, for fear they would “make the SRC look bad.”

Sounds like a Liberal-"New" Labor coalition won the Sydney Uni elections or whatever it was.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Frogfingers posted:

It's electricity that pays for itself. Solar power is going to be the next '99.8% of "poor people" have fridges'.
Yeah and it was awesome when no one had toilets that were connected to the sewer. Each building had it's own outhouse.

That awesome siloed model will totally work for electricity in an increasingly networked world and not fall down at all in situations where, for example, your building is in shadow. Which is like, a lot of buildings in cities with even modest density.

There are so many goddamn things wrong with your "solar for everyone" theory that have nothing to do with the price of acquisition.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 6, 2015

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Negligent posted:

Yeah and it was awesome when no one had toilets that were connected to the sewer. Each building had it's own outhouse.

That awesome siloed model will totally work for electricity in an increasingly networked world and not fall down at all in situations where, for example, your building is in shadow. Which is like, a lot of buildings in cities with even modest density.

Yeah I just posed this exact problem in another post I made. The answer is obviously nuclear powered windmills.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NTRabbit posted:

However, sources indicate that Grassroots were not aware of the factional allegiances of the Ayy Lmao ticket, and would not knowingly negotiate with Liberals.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Frogfingers posted:

Yeah I just posed this exact problem in another post I made. The answer is obviously nuclear powered windmills.

It's like your dad got a grant to put solar panels on the roof and then you read about the tesla battery thing and now gently caress yeah free electricity!!!!1111

Except, all of the nopes.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
sun make power go but no sun????

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Negligent posted:

It's like your dad got a grant to put solar panels on the roof and then you read about the tesla battery thing and now gently caress yeah free electricity!!!!1111

u gotta accentuate the positive. imagine the world 'sunny side up' :)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

Our future preselected politicians

Sounds like a Liberal-"New" Labor coalition won the Sydney Uni elections or whatever it was.

Someone should keep detail dossiers on these fuckwits in the event they ever try to get elected to state or federal politics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but it's only going to last 5 billion years. Think of the future!

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Something that should be entertaining excrutiating to watch, Gillard defending her govts refugee policy
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/662363457681928192

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah but it's only going to last 5 billion years. Think of the future!

if the suns so hot whys it cold in the winter, even when the drat suns out. the suns out in antarctica and what burns me? the fucken ice. it makes no sense. do NOT trust the sun more research needs to be done!!

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Negligent posted:

Man even backwater Turkish villages have home-made solar panels put together with PVC pipe. If it means not paying a bill, people will find a way to make it work. Plus you did that thing you do where you ignore any supplementary posts I made about scaled down but not entirely gridless societies. Grids will exist entirely to transport low density rooftop surplus to draws like shopping centres, towers and industry. Power will be a negotiation between business and council that will levy surplus from individual households paid for with rate rebates to crowdsource electricity for the aforementioned complexes.

Batteries aren't economically feasible today, but in the next 10 years with competing models pricing will come down, the technology will advance and power bills are a strictly business to business transaction. If you don't think this is the case, then see how many energy companies are either tied with other utilities like gas or water or both. They're milking the system now because the market is evaporating.

Technology is outstripping our ability to exploit resources. The post-capital society is nigh.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Frogfingers posted:

Man even backwater Turkish villages have home-made solar panels put together with PVC pipe. If it means not paying a bill, people will find a way to make it work. Plus you did that thing you do where you ignore any supplementary posts I made about scaled down but not entirely gridless societies. Grids will exist entirely to transport low density rooftop surplus to draws like shopping centres, towers and industry. Power will be a negotiation between business and council that will levy surplus from individual households paid for with rate rebates to crowdsource electricity for the aforementioned complexes.

Batteries aren't economically feasible today, but in the next 10 years with competing models pricing will come down, the technology will advance and power bills are a strictly business to business transaction. If you don't think this is the case, then see how many energy companies are either tied with other utilities like gas or water or both. They're milking the system now because the market is evaporating.

Technology is outstripping our ability to exploit resources. The post-capital society is nigh.

actually dickhead technology never advances

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Seagull posted:

my new chin mods disagree

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Seagull posted:

Nah buddy I played Victoria 2 alright, I asked for more clergy and now our diggers don't get malaria.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Renewables are useless unless you dumbo lefties have discovered some magical way to store energy in another form so checkmate

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
* Looks at calander *

Hmm the sixth yep that's about right. Pointless argument in bad faith about, check one only:

[_] Bike Helmets
[X] Nuclear power
[_] Bottled water (Hmmm haven't had that one for a while)
[_] Christmas Decorations
[_] Gun Control

Moving on. New posters touching the poop possibly out of ignorance of it in fact being poop.

Check.

Well it was a barely adequate thread while it lasted :dawkins101:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

* Looks at calander *

Hmm the sixth yep that's about right. Pointless argument in bad faith about, check one only:

[_] Bike Helmets
[X] Nuclear power
[_] Gun Control

Moving on. New posters touching the poop possibly out of ignorance of it in fact being poop.

Check.

i'm not new lol

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

SynthOrange posted:

Australia’s former prime minister, Julia Gillard, has defended her legacy on asylum seeker policies, saying that her government’s hardline approach was justified on humanitarian grounds.

Drop dead Gillard.

Woah careful buddy, don't bad mouth Gillard too much in here or you might end up with a hilariously passive-aggressive av.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I still have this one vOv from the last time that happened

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Cartoon posted:

* Looks at calander *

[_] Bike Helmets
[X] Nuclear power
[_] Gun Control

Check.

You are so very smug, please stop trying to dictate what discussions are suitable for these threads.

Also bike helmets are unironically the nanny state run amok, nuclear power is cool and good but so are renewables, bottled water is capitalism at its worst, christmas decorations ??? and gun control is kinda good i guess?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

bottled water is a fact of life in countries where you cant use the same water for a) drinking b) flushing your turds

wouldnt expect a white person to understand

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

my new chin mods disagree

Orkin Mang, shitposter. A mang barely alive. Mods, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic dickchin. Orkin Mang will be that poster. Shitter than he was before. Longer...thicker...poster."

The 6 Million Dollar Dickchin.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Profiting off something which is essentially free in developed countries and necessary to survive in developing countries is capitalism at it's worst.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Imagine if they sold bottles that didn't have anything in them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Orkin Mang posted:

if the suns so hot whys it cold in the winter, even when the drat suns out. the suns out in antarctica and what burns me? the fucken ice. it makes no sense. do NOT trust the sun more research needs to be done!!

All our sun researches went blind after looking at it to long suggesting that the sun is some sort of demonic being that readily curses humanity in a successfully attempt to stop us ever understanding its true nature.

in any case more funding/researches are needed if we are ever to understand why the sun hates us so.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

open24hours posted:

Imagine if they sold bottles that didn't have anything in them.

Well then you would have a bottle that would be defying the laws of known quantum mechanics and would therefore be extremely valuable to researches!

"Vacuum state posted:

According to present-day understanding of what is called the vacuum state or the quantum vacuum, it is "by no means a simple empty space", and again: "it is a mistake to think of any physical vacuum as some absolutely empty void." According to quantum mechanics, the vacuum state is not truly empty but instead contains fleeting electromagnetic waves and particles that pop into and out of existence

Although not those sun worshiping researches. They're all dead now. :(

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

thatfatkid posted:

You are so very smug, please stop trying to dictate what discussions are suitable for these threads.

Also bike helmets are unironically the nanny state run amok, nuclear power is cool and good but so are renewables, bottled water is capitalism at its worst, christmas decorations ??? and gun control is kinda good i guess?
Like anyone listens to me. Or you for that matter.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Actually bottled water is consumerism at its finest. If you want a comparison, capitalism at its finest would be a private monopoly on water pipes and infrastructure that charged by the glass.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Like anyone listens to me. Or you for that matter.

I guess we are done here.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Les Affaires posted:

Actually bottled water is consumerism at its finest. If you want a comparison, capitalism at its finest would be a private monopoly on water pipes and infrastructure that charged by the glass.

Isn't it?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Les Affaires posted:

Consumerism feeds off capitalism, it's all the same poo poo. Anyone involved with either will be up against the wall.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is it still uncool to be a fascist?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...106-gkt0mo.html

quote:

"The hardline approach, in my view, does have a humanitarian underpinning, which is we do not want people taking that journey and running those risks," Ms Gillard said.

"The government I led was trying to do everything it could to deter people from getting on boats ... Our message to people who were desperate and fleeing hard circumstances was we are going to take refugees, but don't try and make the journey by boat. You may not survive, your children may not survive.

"You don't quite know what it's like as prime minister to get the telephone call from your defence forces that tell you that they suspect that an asylum seeker boat has gone down and they are engaging in desperate measures to try and rescue people from the water," she said. "Whatever they do, people die."

I am so loving tired of this poo poo. Stop pretending, stop bullshitting, stop acting like you care. Just admit what this is really about.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Orkin Mang posted:

is it still uncool to be a fascist?

eco-fascism is in this year

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...106-gkt0mo.html

I am so loving tired of this poo poo. Stop pretending, stop bullshitting, stop acting like you care. Just admit what this is really about.

I like that former liberal prime ministers are now more left wing than former labor ones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

I like that former liberal prime ministers are now more left wing than former labor ones.

Yeah, but at the moment the only former Liberal PMs still alive are Howard and Abbott, sooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I bought myself a water bottle to refill and reuse because I want to pretend I am being environment conscious while not having to face the horror of being more than one second from potable water at any stage in my life.

• Locked thread