Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Ler posted:

Yes, several times at both federal and state level..

Don't forget continuously at local government levels as well. Labor usually side with the LNP or corrupt conservative "independents" to gently caress over the greens and progressive independents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

freebooter posted:

I am so loving tired of this poo poo. Stop pretending, stop bullshitting, stop acting like you care. Just admit what this is really about.

Why are you so resistant to the idea that discouraging people from coming over on boats saves lives? It is absolutely a valid reason, and considering thousands of people are dying right now in the dash to get to Europe and they're struggling with stopping people killing themselves to get there, it seems like a genuine concern. Telling people that if you get a foot on the shore no matter the means you'll be accepted into the country is literally luring people to their deaths. I guess a huge death toll is just a speed bump on the road to ideological purity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnjEhsXWsY

Zahki fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 6, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I guess children trying to kill themselves is just a speedbump on the road to racial purity

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

tomkash posted:

Don't forget continuously at local government levels as well. Labor usually side with the LNP or corrupt conservative "independents" to gently caress over the greens and progressive independents.

Haven't lived in AU for almost a decade so I couldn't comment on local, but I suspected it was the same or worse at a local level.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Just going to leave this and the inevitable alp loss of the next election right here:

"Bill Shorten: Counsel assisting trade union royal commission makes no submission that ALP leader engaged in unlawful conduct posted:

Counsel assisting the trade union royal commission says he does not believe Opposition Leader Bill Shorten engaged in any unlawful conduct, following an inquiry into his dealings as head of the Australian Workers Union (AWU).

The inquiry has been examining a number of workplace agreements made between the union and a number of companies.

A statement released by counsel assisting the commission Jeremy Stoljar SC said there was "no submission" Mr Shorten engaged in criminal or unlawful conduct when he was at the AWU.

It follows extensive questioning of the Labor leader at the royal commission earlier this year.

Mr Stoljar and his team have instead targeted a number of former AWU officials including now Victorian state Labor MP Cesar Melham, and the union itself.

"Counsel assisting have submitted that the commissioner should find that a number of officials of the AWU and the AWU itself may have engaged in criminal conduct in relation to the falsification of invoices and the taking of commissions," the statement said.

"The commission should conclude that Mr Melham may have committed an offence ... by soliciting a corrupt commission.".

The inquiry has also taken aim at a number of companies, including Thiess John Holland, over negotiations for workplace agreements.

"Counsel assisting have submitted further that a number of officials of the AWU may have engaged in conduct in conflict of interest by causing the union to enter into lucrative side deals that were not disclosed to the members," the statement said.

The statement was released late on Friday night, along with hundreds of pages of documents.

Head of the royal commission Justice Dyson Heydon is yet to hand down his recommendations into the matter.

In a statement, a spokesman for Mr Shorten said the royal commission was "politically motivated", set up by the Liberal party to "throw mud and smear its political opponents".

"As Mr Shorten has always said, he has always acted in the best interests of workers," the spokesman said.

"Labor has absolutely zero tolerance for corruption or criminal activity in the workplace whether it involves an employer, employee or union."

So looks like shortens not provably criminal corrupt... thats er something I guess.

AWU looks like it might be a bit hosed though.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Zahki posted:

Why are you so resistant to the idea that discouraging people from coming over on boats saves lives?
It's pretty hard for a lot of asylum seekers to fly to Australia, and we don't do much in-country assessment for humanitarian visas. Boat's the only option we've left for them.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 6, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

dr_rat posted:

Just going to leave this and the inevitable alp loss of the next election right here:

So looks like shortens not provably criminal corrupt... thats er something I guess.

quote:

"Labor has absolutely zero tolerance for corruption or criminal activity in the workplace whether it involves an employer, employee or union."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/alp-paid-350000-for-thomson-legal-costs-20120608-201he.html

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Zahki posted:

Why are you so resistant to the idea that discouraging people from coming over on boats saves lives? It is absolutely a valid reason, and considering thousands of people are dying right now in the dash to get to Europe and they're struggling with stopping people killing themselves to get there, it seems like a genuine concern.

Because the only ethical alternative is sending planes to collect these people and whisk them away from danger, but that would be counter to what they're trying to hand wave with dogwhistles in the first place.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Frogfingers posted:

Because the only ethical alternative

How about discouraging them from making the journey in the first place? If hundreds of lives are being lost in the attempt to get here isn't there a moral imperative to try and stop as many people from making the journey by boat as possible? Isn't there an obligation to try and remove the incentive for people to risk their lives? I mean Paul Colliers words, not mine "If you improve your chances by putting your toe on that Lampedusa beach, that is what is luring people to their deaths. So it sounds like human rights but it's actually a giant inhuman wrong". If the government does nothing to try and remove the incentives for people to come across in boats they're basically encouraging more people to try it and are responsible for even more loss of life. I don't see what the point is of getting angry at Gillard when she's right.

Zahki fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 6, 2015

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

dr_rat posted:

On every construction project i've worked on every labourer/tradie/operator have despised the AWU, they've been hosed for quite a while.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
The fact that they risk their life in the first place kinda negates the idea that preventing them from doing so is actually protecting their lives in any way.

Be honest with yourself and answer the question ""would we treat asylum seekers in exactly the same way if they were white?".

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Zahki posted:

How about discouraging them from making the journey in the first place? If hundreds of lives are being lost in the attempt to get here isn't there a moral imperative to try and stop as many people from making the journey by boat as possible? Isn't there an obligation to try and remove the incentive for people to risk their lives? I mean Paul Colliers words, not mine "If you improve your chances by putting your toe on that Lampedusa beach, that is what is luring people to their deaths. So it sounds like human rights but it's actually a giant inhuman wrong".

lol pull factors. As long as Australia remains a country that isn't a literal wartorn madmaxesque hellscape refugees will continue to come. Might as well accept that fact and actually transport them safely to the mainland for a fast and fair processing instead of letting them risk their lives and then imprison them on a tiny island full of people who hate them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zahki posted:

How about discouraging them from making the journey in the first place? If hundreds of lives are being lost in the attempt to get here isn't there a moral imperative to try and stop as many people from making the journey by boat as possible? Isn't there an obligation to try and remove the incentive for people to risk their lives? I mean Paul Colliers words, not mine "If you improve your chances by putting your toe on that Lampedusa beach, that is what is luring people to their deaths. So it sounds like human rights but it's actually a giant inhuman wrong".

The incentive for risking their lives is war and persecution. As long as the source of the problems continue no amount of cruelty at this end will make any real difference.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Zahki posted:

How about discouraging them from making the journey in the first place? If hundreds of lives are being lost in the attempt to get here isn't there a moral imperative to try and stop as many people from making the journey by boat as possible? Isn't there an obligation to try and remove the incentive for people to risk their lives?
There is only one way to do this: Build Australia's Auschwitz and publicise your murderous refugee deathcamp.

Unless what you have is worse than what they are fleeing from, they are going to come and there is nothing you can do to stop them from trying. Sadly, it looks like our government is actually trying to do the Auschwitz option.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Zahki posted:

How about discouraging them from making the journey in the first place?

I answered that question. The only way to discourage them is to be proactive and collect them ourselves. Its the only way to ensure their safety. Repair the Navy's image as clandestine thugs and get them to bring asylum seekers here. It won't happen but its the only solution that will work.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Zahki posted:

How about discouraging them from making the journey in the first place? If hundreds of lives are being lost in the attempt to get here isn't there a moral imperative to try and stop as many people from making the journey by boat as possible? Isn't there an obligation to try and remove the incentive for people to risk their lives? I mean Paul Colliers words, not mine "If you improve your chances by putting your toe on that Lampedusa beach, that is what is luring people to their deaths. So it sounds like human rights but it's actually a giant inhuman wrong". If the government does nothing to try and remove the incentives for people to come across in boats they're basically encouraging more people to try it and are responsible for even more loss of life. I don't see what the point is of getting angry at Gillard when she's right.

until the arab untermensch are dying in the messes we made i cannot in good conscience let them make it to my pristine white shores

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

So the solution is to shrug your shoulders say "Well they're going to try and come anyway" and implement policy that would ensure that even more people attempt to make the journey and die. Good stuff AusPol, you really proved you're the ones thinking of peoples well-being. Now we can go back to complaining about how Gillard is scum for doing the best she could in her position to try and actually prevent deaths instead of encouraging them like the AusPol brains trust would.

Look at this callous disregard for human life

quote:

Our message to people who were desperate and fleeing hard circumstances was we are going to take refugees, but don't try and make the journey by boat. You may not survive, your children may not survive.

Not like AusPol with real practical solutions like "they're going to come anyway so it's pointless to try and discourage them killing themselves"

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Zahki posted:

So the solution is to shrug your shoulders say "Well they're going to try and come anyway" and implement policy that would ensure that even more people attempt to make the journey and die. Good stuff AusPol, you really proved you're the ones thinking of peoples well-being. Now we can go back to complaining about how Gillard is scum for doing the best she could in her position to try and actually prevent deaths instead of encouraging them like the AusPol brains trust would.

Not like AusPol with real practical solutions like "they're going to come anyway so it's pointless to try and discourage them killing themselves"

There's no solution where we don't take asylum seekers. They stop dying when we set up a proper system to transport people fleeing strife to bring them here and integrate into their new home.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
most Australians arent actually anti-refugee.

when it was announced we would take 12,000 Syrian refugees at a cost of $700m no one batted an eye. in fact I think there were even calls to take more.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2015/november/1446296400/robert-manne/slow-death

quote:

Without the close attention that many thousands of dedicated asylum-seeker supporters have paid over the past two years, the suffering being experienced by the 1500 people on Nauru and Manus Island would most likely have been ignored in Australia. For this, the highest praise is due. Pressure is mounting daily in the campaign to bring the asylum seekers on Nauru and Manus Island to Australia. So far, however, their supporters have seemed incapable of arguing the kind of case that has any chance of convincing the politicians or the military and intelligence officials in Canberra to revoke the Rudd–Abbott decision never to settle these refugees in Australia. While Abbott was prime minister this case would have had zero chance of success. Under Malcolm Turnbull there is some prospect of its eventually being considered. A plausible case, resting on more than compassion, is now needed.

Such a case should, I believe, begin with the recognition that Australians are not, in general, redneck racists hostile to refugees. What historical experience and evidence of the opinion polls have shown is that Australians’ hostility is not to refugees but to asylum seekers who arrive spontaneously by boat. This is not a recent phenomenon. Under Malcolm Fraser, it was politically easier for the government to settle 70,000 Indochinese refugees selected by Australian officials from the camps of South-East Asia than it was for it to accept the 2000 Vietnamese who arrived in Darwin by sea. Professor Andrew Markus has conducted important empirical research for the Scanlon Foundation that consistently shows Australians are, on balance, favourably disposed to refugees but hostile to asylum-seeker boat arrivals.

If anything, over time that opinion has hardened. On this question, public opinion and the policies of both the Coalition and Labor are now settled. No government in Australia will do what the supporters of the asylum seekers want: to once more open Australia’s borders to boats. Many supporters believe that the enthusiasm shown for the Abbott government’s decision to accept 12,000 Syrians shows that the tide of opinion has turned on the refugee question. This represents a category mistake, a failure to understand the difference between opinion on spontaneous asylum-seeker boat arrivals and orderly refugee programs under government control.

Australians are very supportive of orderly arrival of people who are genuine refugees.

most refugee advocates dont understand this. they accuse the average Australian of racism and somehow think that namecalling will work. it's not about race. its about a perception of fairness.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Zahki posted:

why are you ignoring the people who've pointed out that we have taken the safe option, flying, off the table?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Personally I'm shocked that someone who likes anime, game of thrones and eve online is actually a piece of poo poo.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Zahki posted:

quote:

Our message to people who were desperate and fleeing hard circumstances was we are going to take refugees, but don't try and make the journey by boat. You may not survive, your children may not survive.
That is, and always has been, a crock of poo poo.

It is an attempt to excuse an ongoing policy of xenophobia and racism under the guise of helping refugees. It always has been. It is something racist xenophobes can cling to to claim they aren't racist xenophobes because can't you see we actually do care.

Want to know how you can show you actually care? You set up offices in Indonesia and other states where refugees have congregated that are not signatories to the refugee convention. In these offices you invite people to make their asylum claims and process them. Then you fly or ship them over to Australia and set them up in the community, providing them with counselling services, education services, and health services so that they can make a new start and recover from the trauma of the murderous abuses they have fled from, and probably been at least partially victim to directly.

Australia's policy, on the other hand, has been to turn back refugees to countries where they have no protection. On top of that, our government often refuses to process asylum claims for years (If they even let asylum seekers request asylum, which they often do not in at sea interceptions), repeatedly refouls refugees in contravention of the refugee convention we helped draft by sending them back to countries where they will be persecuted and oftentimes tortured (Eg: Sri Lanka), and the ones we cannot or will not send back are locked up in offshore camps in appalling conditions that are run by a business with the worst possible reputation, and constantly subject to violations of their basic human rights (through rape, violence, denial of legal consultation, etc), and on top of that they are jerked about by the government on a semi-regular basis.

The policy our government is following is not one of compassion, it is one of xenophobic psychopathy. And the worst thing is that it still isn't worse than what these people are running from.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
game of thrones is alright

the tv show that is. the guy who wrote the book looks incredibly goony

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

freebooter posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...106-gkt0mo.html

I am so loving tired of this poo poo. Stop pretending, stop bullshitting, stop acting like you care. Just admit what this is really about.

That's not really the point of the waffling, it's to have something to point to later when bad poo poo comes out and she can point to all the excuses she's already made.

Zahki posted:

Why are you so resistant to the idea that discouraging people from coming over on boats saves lives?

Because there's never been evidence to show it ever did. In fact, the inane lengths successive governments have gone to hide all aspects of this "solution" rather points to its complete failure. The boats have never stopped, the deaths continue, we're running out of tinpot countries to make deals with to throw our prisoners in "camps" at many times the expense of simply flying them over and settling them here like an actual humanitarian policy.

In many ways it resembles the rationale of the war on drugs: moral platitudes to disguise a policy of attacking the victim and making political capital from it. Fantasizing about evil people smugglers that appear to be criminal masterminds capable of defeating many governments and all their navies. Punishing their unfortunate clients to really show we don't muck about. Throwing billions of dollars in all directions for a paranoid fantasy that just happens to justify stripping government budgets elsewhere.

And every time the options get worse, move from concentration camps on Australian soil to concentration camps in other countries to what, exactly? What remedies does the great Zahki propose to take us forward?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Scott Ludlam and Julian Assange discussing despair and defiance.

Worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGf9EV55aY

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
If you ever wanted proof that TURC is a stitch up rather than an honest look at how hosed unions are last night did it. There is a *lot* wrong with what unions do but releasing all that between 8:07pm and 8:31pm on a Friday night just because it exonerates Blarb just screams witch hunt.

loving HIPPIES posted:

Bill Shorten: Counsel assisting trade union royal commission makes no submission that ALP leader engaged in unlawful conduct

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has escaped censure by the royal commission into trade unions after barristers assisting the inquiry made no submissions of any criminal or unlawful conduct by the Labor leader while he led the Australian Workers Union (AWU).
Key points

'No submission' Bill Shorten acted unlawfully
Cesar Melhem could face criminal charges over soliciting corrupt commissions, false accounting
Submissions relate to Melhem's "elaborate scheme" with Cleanevent and similar deal with Thiess John Holland
TJH executive Julian Rzesniowiecki may also have offered a corrupt commission

However, Mr Shorten's successor as head of the AWU's Victoria branch, Cesar Melhem, could face a slew of criminal charges after submissions from counsel that he may have solicited corrupt commissions and been involved in false accounting.

Under Victorian law, soliciting corrupt commissions carries hefty fines or a potential jail term of up to 10 years.

Late on Friday, counsel assisting the inquiry Jeremy Stoljar SC made submissions relating to the AWU and its dealings with cleaning company Cleanevent, construction giant Thiess John Holland (TJH), glass company ACI and engineering firm Downer EDI.

The submissions are for the consideration of the royal commission and will not necessarily be taken up in its final report at the end of the year.

In a statement, Mr Stoljar said there was "no submission" Mr Shorten engaged in criminal or unlawful conduct in his role at the AWU between 1998 and 2000.

Mr Shorten was Victorian state secretary of the AWU from 1998 to 2006 and the union's national secretary from 2001 until he entered federal parliament in 2007.

The Labor leader appeared at the royal commission at hearings in Sydney in July, where he was questioned on deals involving a range of companies and defended his record as a union leader.

It emerged during one of the hearings that Mr Shorten had updated his electoral funding disclosures just a week earlier after it was revealed building company Unibuilt had funded his campaign manager.

In the submissions, counsel assisting found that there was no evidence that arrangement had been entered into "for the purpose of avoiding disclosure requirements under the Commonwealth Electoral Act".

"Further, Mr Shorten has taken steps to correct the fact that no disclosure was made and the limitation period for the prosecutions of any offences has expired," the barristers wrote.

In a statement, a spokesman for Mr Shorten said the royal commission was "politically motivated", set up by the Liberal party to "throw mud and smear its political opponents".

"As Mr Shorten has always said, he has always acted in the best interests of workers," the spokesman said.

Melhem facing charges over 'side deals' with Cleanevent, TJH

Counsel assisting the inquiry called for criminal charges of soliciting a corrupt commission to be considered against fellow former AWU Victoria branch president Mr Melhem, over a "side deal" to existing enterprise bargaining agreements with Cleanevent and a similar deal with TJH.

They described the Cleanevent arrangement, which cost the company $25,000 a year but saved it millions of dollars in wage costs, as "a fairly elaborate scheme which was implemented to disguise the payment as payments for membership, and to conceal the arrangement from the workers".

Mr Stoljar also argued in submissions that both the Cleanevent deal and TJH deals undermined the bargaining power of workers because the company and the union were effectively in cahoots behind workers' backs.

They said the "elaborate" TJH scheme "was implemented to disguise the payment as payments for services, and to conceal the arrangement from the workers".

"[This] supports the view that the payment was 'corrupt' according to ordinary standards of conduct ... That is especially so when the means by which the payment was solicited by the AWU was by means of falsified invoices," Mr Stoljar wrote.

Submissions argue that a TJH executive, Julian Rzesniowiecki, may have committed an offence by offering a corrupt commission.

Mr Stoljar also called for the royal commission to consider recommending charges of false accounting against Mr Rzesniowiecki, Mr Melhem and the AWU.

In relation to glass company ACI, counsel assisting wrote that Mr Melhem may have breached his fiduciary duties to glassworkers and that he and former ACI executive Michael Gilhome may have committed criminal offences relating to false invoices.

The lawyers proposed that the inquiry consider recommending legislation to outlaw the paying of workers' union dues by their employers, arguing that this muddied the relationship between the parties and risked undermining workers' rights.

Mr Melhem entered the Victorian state parliament as a Labor member in 2013 and was forced to resign his post as chief Labor whip in the upper house in June after revelations in the royal commission.

The ABC is seeking comment from Mr Melhem.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

dr_rat posted:

The VIC/NSW Branches yes. They went through the books in the SA Branch, couldn't find anything. The AWU has a national body, but the state sub branches act independently.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Coworkers argument against penalty rates: It's unfair for those who can't work weekends and everyone would be fighting for weekends. It should be a flat wage so it's equal. :kiddo:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

Coworkers argument against penalty rates: It's unfair for those who can't work weekends and everyone would be fighting for weekends. It should be a flat wage so it's equal. :kiddo:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHASHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
HAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Please kill them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zahki posted:

Why are you so resistant to the idea that discouraging people from coming over on boats saves lives? It is absolutely a valid reason, and considering thousands of people are dying right now in the dash to get to Europe and they're struggling with stopping people killing themselves to get there, it seems like a genuine concern. Telling people that if you get a foot on the shore no matter the means you'll be accepted into the country is literally luring people to their deaths. I guess a huge death toll is just a speed bump on the road to ideological purity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnjEhsXWsY

Because it isn't our problem if they want to risk their lives coming here by boat. That isn't our responsibility. If their situation is really that terrible that a dangerous sea voyage is preferable to staying put then who are we to stop them?

When they are in immigration detention they become our responsibility and we should be treating them with the dignity and respect any human being deserves. If we decide that people making the boat crossing is a problem, then as others have mentioned allowing people to apply for asylum from within Indonesia is an alternative that stops the boats and doesn't involve morally indefensible treatment in concentration camps.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Also, the LNP have won. I went on a camping trip last weekend with a bunch of unionists, tradies and blue collar workers, and they couldn't find harsh enough words for their thoughts on Labor, Shorten and unions. Turnbull can do whatever he wants and people will complain but still prefer it to Labor at the moment. Trouble is I don't see any alternative to Shorten in the ranks with the charisma and vision to match it with Turnbull and the whole lot of them have been tarred by the union corruption stuff anyway. I don't see Labor forming government until they've had a major restructure and clearly distanced themselves from the union movement (or the LNP has a live boy, dead girl moment).

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

dr_rat posted:

:tinfoil: I don't want to get all DaVinci Code on you all here but I find it deeply suspicious that the nakedly political process to damage Blap Shohorn is utterly and irrevocably finished with him just when his removal from public office would be the worst possible outcome for the LNP. :tinfoil:

Now to return briefly to my supposed desire to stifle free speech in Aus Pol. Nope. Talk about what ever you want whenever you want. Just try to use a little restraint and keep the signal to noise ratio down. I'm sure some of it has to do with the unrelentingly horrible nature of our current political situation but we have lost a bunch of really good content posters because being trolled is really hard to resist apparently. I could write a list of posters who have never argued in good faith, delight in poking hot buttons and specialise in hastily confected strawmen but if I can identify them you can too. I absolutely do not buy the 'but it educates the lurkers' position. If you have some material that supports the education of lurkers on the very subject that the troll is baiting you, go nuts! Just don't engage in a pointless argument with someone who is deliberately pulling your chain. You can post your educational stuff without any reference to the troll and even persistent ones eventually give up if they aren't having their pleasure centers tickled by people with less self control than Craig Thompson in a strip joint.

Speaking of:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-14/cost-of-offshore-processing-united-nations-fact-check/6609764

quote:

The claim: Daniel Webb, director of the Human Rights Law Centre, says Australia is currently spending "more than five times the United Nations refugee agency's entire budget for all of South East Asia" on offshore processing of asylum seekers.

The verdict: Although difficult to pinpoint a final figure, current spending for the 2014-15 financial year based on Senate estimates is comfortably over $1 billion, while the UN's budget for the South East Asia region is $US157 million in 2015. Mr Webb's claim checks out.

So any claim that our policy is directed out of humanitarian concerns is pretty interesting. Not apples and oranges reads the T-Shirt on the hastily repositioned straw man! Well maybe if we tried it we'd know. Till then we don't. Stopping the boats actually means preventing mainland arrivals and suppressing the flow of information about boat movements. It hasn't been preventing deaths we just don't count them any more.

http://www.policyforum.net/the-high-price-of-australias-refugee-policy/

But your straw mandible ticks "What price a human life?".

I could continue to relink the http://www.asrc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MythBusterJuly2013FINAL.pdf but as I never see one of the trolls address the case it presents I guess I'm only doing it for the genuine lurkers.

I was involved in attempting to get an Iraqi man a visa to enter Australia. It was a true homeric odysessy. They were asked to present themselves at the Jordanian Australian Consulate to submit documents, a round journey of over two thousand miles at a time when getting a visa to enter Jordan from Iraq was impossible. After nearly a year and thousands of dollars paid to the Department of Immigration they were still waiting and being given this level of run around. That's with help from outside Iraq and the ability to access funds in Australia.

And to finish I'll just again point out that as one of the wealthiest nations on earth it is utterly disingenuous to call any refugee an economic migrant. They'd have to come from Norway to be anything else on those definitions and the definition of migrant and refugee differ fundamentally in any case.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
By concern trolling the asylum seekers, all we're doing is making sure the 10% that do die, die crossing the Mediterranean instead, or freeze to death in the back of some produce truck. Someone else's problem, I guess.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
This photo of lightning over Norman in Western Australia is both beautiful and hosed up. If only the lightning was directed on every single person in Australia and they all died for awesome nature porn.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zahki posted:

Idiot.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Birb Katter posted:

This photo of lightning over Norman in Western Australia is both beautiful and hosed up. If only the lightning was directed on every single person in Australia and they all died for awesome nature porn.

Do you mean Newman?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

GoldStandardConure posted:

Do you mean Newman?

No, I mean Norman. Because that is where #theirabc said it was. Although Newman getting killed to death by lightning sounds kind of fun too.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Their ABC posted:

'Busybody' group's challenge to Gungahlin mosque thrown out of ACT Supreme Court

A group fighting to prevent a mosque being built in Canberra's north have had their challenge thrown out by the ACT Supreme Court, with the judge labelling the group a "busybody".

It is the second challenge the controversial group has lost after the court dismissed the initial challenge in July last year.

The Concerned Citizens of Canberra first launched legal action in 2012, claiming there was inadequate community consultation, traffic and parking issues, and breaches of building codes.

Flyers issued by the group to many homes in the Gungahlin area raised concerns about traffic and noise and whether the mosque would be a good neighbour to the community.

But the Concerned Citizens of Canberra took their appeal to the Supreme Court after the ACT Government declared support for the mosque and referred the flyer to ACT Human Rights Commission.

Today, in a 40-page judgement, Justice Richard Refshauge found the group's arguments to be lacking, and said the group had no greater interest than that of an "intermeddler or busybody".

He also said the case would substantially prejudice the Canberra Muslim community, who have already incurred construction costs of nearly $200,000.

Three members of the Concerned Citizens of Canberra were in court as Justice Refshauge handed down his statement.

The only legal avenue remaining for the group is an appeal to the High Court.

The 500-person capacity mosque will be the second mosque in the ACT.

The ACT's first mosque is located at Yarralumla, in the city's south.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Australia’s former prime minister, Julia Gillard, has defended her legacy on asylum seeker policies, saying that her government’s hardline approach was justified on humanitarian grounds.

“I stand by the decisions I made,” she told the host of al-Jazeera’s show UpFront, Mehdi Hasan. “We took a set of decisions in a very difficult time when we were seeing increasing numbers and we were worried about deaths.”

“The government I led was trying to do everything it could to deter people from getting on boats,” Gillard said. “Our message to people who were desperate and fleeing hard circumstances was we are going to take refugees, but don’t try and make the journey by boat. You may not survive; your children may not survive.”

In 2012, Gillard reopened the Nauru and Manus Island offshore detention centres, reinstating the Howard-era “Pacific solution” that had been discarded by Kevin Rudd after the 2007 federal election.

The reinstatement of the Pacific solution came after a boat bound for Australia carrying more than 200 people capsized off the coast of Indonesia just before Christmas in 2011. The tragedy sparked debate on the best way to tackle the large number of boat arrivals that had attempted to make the dangerous journey since Labor dismantled John Howard’s tough asylum policies.

“You don’t quite know what it’s like as prime minister to get the telephone call from your defence forces that tell you that they suspect that an asylum seeker boat has gone down and they are engaging in desperate measures to try and rescue people from the water,” said Gillard. “Whatever they do, people die.”

“The hardline approach, in my view, does have a humanitarian underpinning which is we do not want people taking that journey and running those risks,” the former prime minister said.

Gillard was deposed as prime minister by Rudd in June 2013, and left politics at the following election. She is currently the chair of the Global Partnership for Education, and has spoken publicly of her passion for improving education rates among girls.

Gillard went on the defensive when Hasan asked her how her drive to help children fitted with putting them in offshore detention.

“We took a set of decisions in a very difficult time,” she said. “To suggest that that record in any way undermines my passion or my credibility on education is to wholly misunderstand it.”

Gillard has been selective about her public appearances since leaving politics, chastising the Australian media in her June 2015 biography, My Story, for being biased and inaccurate.

The interview will air on al-Jazeera on Saturday morning Australian time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdJ2vd1lhg

• Locked thread