Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

i did not like the scene where the child called the other child a coward for not being able to casually brush off the pain of a surgery to implant a device to let them more easily control a labor robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Adelheid posted:

i did not like the scene where the child called the other child a coward for not being able to casually brush off the pain of a surgery to implant a device to let them more easily control a labor robot

I think at this point we can pretty conclusively tell you you were not, in fact, supposed to like that dialogue exchange. :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Plenty of kids can put up a false sense of bravado and when you combine that with how being a child soldier will really gently caress up your world view...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoyed this episode especially the part where there was even more heavy handed Mika/Kudelia shipping.

Also Orga is cool and Biscuit is still the best.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baal posted:

I enjoyed this episode especially the part where there was even more heavy handed Mika/Kudelia shipping.

You're a soulless monster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mikazuki will come out the other end of this show with the biggest harem.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Adelheid posted:

Its supposed to be hosed up, theyre child soldiers and hosed up in the head.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You're a soulless monster.

???

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Atra/Mika is clearly the superior option. Or Orga/Mika. Or Akihiro/Mika.

Kidding, all the potential romance options, plus some romance options that only exist in the minds of insane shippers, are cute and good. Which kind of sucks in some ways, because someone is guaranteed to get their heart broken.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Darth Walrus posted:

Mikazuki will come out the other end of this show with the biggest harem.

Somehow this has become a Gundam trend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Somehow this has become a Gundam trend.

Hey, Amuro had Fraw, Sayla, and Lalah by the end of MSG, and Kamille literally won his fight with Scirocco in Zeta because he had more dead women on his side. It's always been a thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm Amuro's hard on for Char's sister

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Let's see..

Judau: A hot-headed blonde girl, a mobile suit pilot with a stick up her rear end, an insane and homicidal 10 year old, and his sister.
Al: Chris.
Kou: Nina maybe?????
Uso: Shakti, Katejina, the Shrike Team, and some weird chick that wanted to be his mommy.
Domon: His destined waifu and Allenby.
Garrod: Tiffa, Paula, and Ennil.
Shiro: Aina and Kiki.
Jesus: Fllay and Lacus.
Shinn: Stella and Lunamaria.
Setsuna: Gundam.
Sai: Gunpla and maybe China.
Sekai: Plot armor.

Mika's still got some work to do to reach the higher tier of Gundam girl magnets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

closeted republican posted:

Let's see..

Judau: A hot-headed blonde girl, a mobile suit pilot with a stick up her rear end, an insane and homicidal 10 year old, and his sister.
Uso: Shakti, Katejina, the Shrike Team, and some weird chick that wanted to be his mommy.

Mika's still got some work to do to reach the higher tier of Gundam girl magnets.

You forgot Marbet for Uso. I mean, if we're including the Shrike Team. And Haman for Judau. I mean, she was basically his main love interest.

Funny thing is, Setsuna actually had a significant harem. I mean, apart from no less than three Gundams, there was Feldt, Marina, and maybe-possibly Graham.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Setsuna was in a love triangle with Graham for Gundam.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haman having feelings for Judau and vice-versa was weird, but one of the things I wish ZZ had developed more because it was definitely interesting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Setsuna was in a love triangle with Graham for Gundam.

Yes, but it's unclear what the legs of that triangle were, especially later on, if you catch my drift.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anime harem means girls that like the guy, the guy doesn't have to like or even know in return.

You forgot that one chick that made the GP03 who died like later that episode or the next one, I forgot. She kinda liked Kou.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

Haman having feelings for Judau and vice-versa was weird, but one of the things I wish ZZ had developed more because it was definitely interesting.

It' is pretty neat, in a depressing, weird way. Haman's learnt throughout her entire, horrible life that humanity is fundamentally broken, that she can't trust anyone, and that the only way to bring an end to the carnage of the Universal Century is through overwhelming brutality... but a little part of her is still the idealistic girl who Char abandoned to run Axis on her own, and she's desperately hoping for someone to prove her wrong, so she fixates on Judau, the young, charismatic idealist. Of course, this being Tomino, he becomes convinced by the horrors of the Neo Zeon War that she's right, and buggers off to Jupiter because it's the only reasonable response to the hideous mess the Earth Sphere is in other than becoming a butchering war criminal just like her.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Baal posted:

Haman and Judau's relationship was really interesting because it was one of the first examples of a one-sided Newtype connection in UC. Haman clearly resonated with Judau similarly to the way Four and Kamille did with each other, but Judau clearly didn't feel the same way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Haman and Judau's relationship was really interesting because it was one of the first examples of a one-sided Newtype connection in UC. Haman clearly resonated with Judau similarly to the way Four and Kamille did with each other, but Judau clearly didn't feel the same way.

Nah, he did seem to care for her on some level. He just had difficulty getting over the whole 'mass-murdering warlord' thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, he did seem to care for her on some level. He just had difficulty getting over the whole 'mass-murdering warlord' thing.

He cared for her on a basic human level because Judau is a good person, but he definitely did not have a love love WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER connection to her like Kamille and Four had. Even to the end he couldn't really understand why she was doing what she was doing.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think at this point we can pretty conclusively tell you you were not, in fact, supposed to like that dialogue exchange. :v:

Srice posted:

Plenty of kids can put up a false sense of bravado and when you combine that with how being a child soldier will really gently caress up your world view...

Somewhat related, it was easy for me to kind of... forget how hosed up the whole situation actually was, from a mix of other anime that would just run with the "we're a band of teenage fighters, woohoo! gonna do world savin' stuff!" style of presentation and the way that Tekkadan's kids just work together so professionally; it was like falling into a lull where it's easy to see how this whole thing is just life for them.

Except it all is shattered the moment Mika, Atra and Kudelia come into the MS bay with lunch for everyone and it's like... you just have a bunch of school kids excitedly calling out to each other about how lunch is here, and getting excited over a lunch break and that entire feeling of normalcy is shattered and you see that this is a bunch of tweens and young teens serving as a military outfit, with only a single actual adult among them as their head mechanic.

It's like getting slammed to a stop and you finally realize with a "Shiiiiiiit..." just how screwed up it all is. In any sane world, these kids would be in school, going home to their families, hanging out with friends and having a blissful ignorance of the horrors that exist outside of their life, instead of being on a combat-ready warship with two mobile suits on a dangerous trek to earth with an enemy that has little qualm about sinking their ship in the middle of interplanetary space.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I think my favorite bit of that scene with Kudelia looking over the students' work was when she paused to note the covers of the AV devices on the backs of such young kids and you could tell how horrible she felt about the thought of it.

Mostly because I'd just had that exact same reaction a few minutes earlier when those kids ran into Orga in the hallway and I noticed the AV covers.

This is a really, really good show.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Like I said earlier, Gundam Beasts of No Nation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The A-V are a good constant reminder of how hosed up the situation is. Yeah, it gives Mika an excuse for Newtype-level responses but it also is a horrifying uncomfortable bit of body horror. Innovators or whatever are good power fantasy, you get glowy eyes and it looks cool and there's no downsides. A-V is just gross and awful.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

You laugh at Takaki berating the kids as if he were their babysitter, and then they say that yes, that is Takaki's job in the outfit. And the poor kid is only now learning to read.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Another thing to keep in mind when thinking about those two kids arguing about getting the surgery done again - during the first episode, one of the teens mentions that the adults in CGS beat the poo poo out of him for having the audacity to not cry out in pain while getting the surgery. Orga responded that if he had cried out in pain, the adults would've just beat the poo poo out of him for being a crybaby.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

closeted republican posted:

Let's see..

Kind of curious why you left out Loran.

I mean, he's got Diana, Kihel, Sochie, and Guin interested in him at some point. It's something.

Then again, Loran is also the guy who has a childhood friend... who remains just a friend throughout the entire series, gets a job, and marries someone else without even a bit of relationship drama between them. Loran is a weird Gundam protagonist in general.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Kind of curious why you left out Loran.

I mean, he's got Diana, Kihel, Sochie, and Guin interested in him at some point. It's something.

Then again, Loran is also the guy who has a childhood friend... who remains just a friend throughout the entire series, gets a job, and marries someone else without even a bit of relationship drama between them. Loran is a weird Gundam protagonist in general.

Also, you left out Char. :v:

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

KoB posted:

Its supposed to be hosed up, theyre child soldiers and hosed up in the head.

I mean, obviously. Just, the innocence with which they talked about it made it more than a uncomfortable to see. Like, you can really easily see how these dumb kids were so easily used by the adults. The scene didn't hang on that at all, though, it just kinda happened almost in the background. Good worldbuilding!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Uh-oh.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-11-09/scene-in-gundam-iron-blooded-orphans-causes-viewer-complaints/.95182

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"If you look at the title, one would immediately think of this as a children's show." :downs:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gundam is a kids' show and it airs during primetime. there definitely should at least be a disclaimer before the episode/at commercial break

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Maybe AGE and BF, sure, but Gundam has always been heavy on the mass deaths, and the title is literally Iron-Blooded Orphans. I don't know how you can look at that and go "oh, yes, a pleasant subject for children." Sticking a disclaimer in front of it given the time slot is a good idea, but "it's a kids' show!" is still a silly comment.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 10, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

G-Reco has been the only real exception with timeslots since it aired at like 2 am, IBO airs at a similar timeslot to most other Gundam shows (I wanna say 5 pm?) so I'm not surprised that it would stir up a fuss

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also wrt to the violence I think prior Gundam shows aren't terribly far removed from stuff that has been seen in, say, shonen jump stuff, which are aimed at the same crowd

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Maybe AGE and BF, sure, but Gundam has always been heavy on the mass deaths, and the title is literally Iron-Blooded Orphans. I don't know how you can look at that and go "oh, yes, a pleasant subject for children."

There's kids' shows all over the place about plucky, badass orphans making their way in the world. Hell, just consider arguably the most popular British children's fiction novels of all time. Couple that with the rounded, child-friendly character designs by the same guy who did the AGE characters, and you can see how someone might get the wrong impression.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

On the re-air they are going to have the dudes shoot first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, this is a prime time show, I get the subs on the same day it comes out. I'm cool with how relentlessly violent with it, but I understand that it might not be appropriate for the timeslot.

• Locked thread