Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OP I read on Wikipedia that real sociopaths actually have super crime solving powers like Dexter or Hannibal Lecter so I'm pretty sure your therapist is a bitch and a quack, but I'm still onboard for your ask thread. my question is, how does it feel to be so insanely boring that when making a thread all about yourself, which you just did, you can't come up with even one good anecdote about an interesting thing that happened outside your head

followup question even if being cranky and antisocial was something goons were totally unfamiliar with, what questions did you really expect people to ask about your vague feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm not a psychologist but you sound pretty narcissistic, OP

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Op is fake posting.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I actually am a sociopath - feel free to ask me any questions

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

origami posted:

I actually am a sociopath - feel free to ask me any questions

do ppl really taste like pork

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

do ppl really taste like pork

People taste like lean game meat especially if you have been chasing them for a day or two.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Asclepius Hot Rod posted:

A few questions OP.

Do you have any trouble making new friends?

How do people generally view you, as a mess or as a well put together person?

Are there any behaviors that get you into trouble, yet you have a hard time avoiding repeating them?

I have extreme trouble making friends, if I can't trust that person I feel constantly on guard. My only friends right now are my roommate and a guy who keeps asking me for beer money. I know he likes me but he is constantly warry I am going to freak out and cut him or something.

Everybody I meet usually can tell instantly I am a mess, I dress crappy because I don't care. I talk to myself and freak out at random things and not necessarily in an angry way, usually it is in a confused way.

Yes, most of my behaviors are maladaptive according to my therapist. I have dissociation issues and anything with a negative emotional component I fail to remember. I actually tend to repeat the same mistakes even if I know they are wrong because of this weird feeling I get like I am following fate or something. I told my therapist it just feels like I am following a path laid out for me by god or something. It is odd.

My new diagnosis is also Pseudopsychopathic Schizophrenia which is just comorbid schizo-type disorder and sociopathy. But they said they are still not entirely sure even after 3 years of therapy. With that it is about having odd behaviors and magical thinking along with the intense need for isolation along with sociopathy, I basically have a hard time around people and when I freak out I have a hard time telling if my behaviors are not socially acceptable and thinking doing bad stuff is apart of the plan of a higher power and poo poo like that. Also I greatly enjoy random chaos, it makes me feel happy and fulfilled that I caused confusion I usually try to keep it as harmless pranks but sometimes my pranks go too far.

I don't mind someone else with sociopathy chiming in, in this thread. Feel free origami.

I will admit this thread is where I fulfill narcissistic needs so they don't creep out into other parts of my life. Feel free to not post and I will get bored of this thread.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 11, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A blog told me that autists act weird because they have a bunch of Neanderthal genes, what species did sociopaths evolve from

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Op is fake posting.

this thread doesn't actually exist

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

OP should meditate

Practice vipassana

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I have honestly been considering becoming a Buddhist just for the peace it seems to provide but I hate the concept of a deity who cursed me like this. My therapist has been trying to get me into mindfulness training but it keeps falling from my memory every time I have an appointment.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

ShadowMoo posted:

I have honestly been considering becoming a Buddhist just for the peace it seems to provide but I hate the concept of a deity who cursed me like this. My therapist has been trying to get me into mindfulness training but it keeps falling from my memory every time I have an appointment.

Lmao, this pussy.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

I don't want to get too far off topic but in Western Buddhism, Zen, and other practices you aren't ever going to hear something about a literal "entity cursing you". There are plenty of atheistic Buddhists.

Your karma is cursing you in the current moment. But don't even worry about what that means, most non-Buddhist westerners misunderstand it as a system of cosmic justice rather than actions and conditions.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 10, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

I have extreme trouble making friends, if I can't trust that person I feel constantly on guard. My only friends right now are my roommate and a guy who keeps asking me for beer money. I know he likes me but he is constantly warry I am going to freak out and cut him or something.

Everybody I meet usually can tell instantly I am a mess, I dress crappy because I don't care. I talk to myself and freak out at random things and not necessarily in an angry way, usually it is in a confused way.

Yes, most of my behaviors are maladaptive according to my therapist. I have dissociation issues and anything with a negative emotional component I fail to remember. I actually tend to repeat the same mistakes even if I know they are wrong because of this weird feeling I get like I am following fate or something. I told my therapist it just feels like I am following a path laid out for me by god or something. It is odd.

My new diagnosis is also Pseudopsychopathic Schizophrenia which is just comorbid schizo-type disorder and sociopathy. But they said they are still not entirely sure even after 3 years of therapy. With that it is about having odd behaviors and magical thinking along with the intense need for isolation along with sociopathy, I basically have a hard time around people and when I freak out I have a hard time telling if my behaviors are not socially acceptable and thinking doing bad stuff is apart of the plan of a higher power and poo poo like that.

I don't mind someone else with sociopathy chiming in, in this thread. Feel free origami.

I will admit this thread is where I fulfill narcissistic needs so they don't creep out into other parts of my life. Feel free to not post and I will get bored of this thread.

So my friend I mentioned earlier is a little older than you and has a lot of the same issues (as well as other, worse things - she has mild brain damage to the part of her brain that keeps track of time, so she thinks only an hour went by when 8 hours did, or that it's been a month when it's only been two days) while she's definitely not got her poo poo together to the point of being able to function on her own she's at least gotten to a stable point with several friends and a good support network and has way more good days than bad days.

I'm not sure how that's supposed to help you but I figured it might :shrug:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ShadowMoo posted:

My new diagnosis is also Pseudopsychopathic Schizophrenia which is just comorbid schizo-type disorder and sociopathy. But they said they are still not entirely sure even after 3 years of therapy. With that it is about having odd behaviors and magical thinking along with the intense need for isolation along with sociopathy, I basically have a hard time around people and when I freak out I have a hard time telling if my behaviors are not socially acceptable and thinking doing bad stuff is apart of the plan of a higher power and poo poo like that.

You sound like an normal college kid.

Ditch the labels, ditch the psychiatrists and go outside more. Maybe get a boat and invite some woman on a date there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

waitwhatno posted:

You sound like an normal college kid.

Ditch the labels, ditch the psychiatrists and go outside more. Maybe get a boat and invite some woman on a date there.

Eh, I dunno if that's such a good idea. Y'know, because of the implication.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Geniasis posted:

Eh, I dunno if that's such a good idea. Y'know, because of the implication.

That seems really dark.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Who's your favorite fictional sociopath OP?

Also, do you find yourself cheering for them when others recoil? Or do you have no idea how other people react to things like that?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Want a story? How about a story you can't prove and may be a part of my strange imagination.

Why? Because I like random chaos and confusion. I enjoy using what people hold sacred against them and seeing the fireworks.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 11, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Okay now it just sounds like you're trying to be edgy.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
OP I have a mission for you. I think you would be a perfect fit on the team I am assembling. We'll be in touch.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

ShadowMoo posted:

Want a story? How about a story you can't prove and may be a part of my strange imagination.

Why? Because I like random chaos and confusion. I enjoy using what people hold sacred against them and seeing the fireworks.

Lmao.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

u kno how i got these scars

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!
Wanna know what they used to call Aspergers? Autistic Psychopathy. :ughh:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

OP I have a band you might like they're called slipknot and theyre almost as hardcore are you

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
As a sociopath, I don't care..

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

ShadowMoo posted:

My therapist currently has me on Paxil, invega, and Buspar. Trying to get onto a stronger antianxiety but I think they avoid that because it would further numb my gut ability to determine bad from good,
Sociopaths don't have anxiety. You are on one med for schizophrenia so you not being in touch with reality is a lot more believable.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Secks Cauldron posted:

Sociopaths don't have anxiety. You are on one med for schizophrenia so you not being in touch with reality is a lot more believable.

He has Asperger's, which is the same as being a sociopath. No empathy. Psychopathic tendencies.

Adam Lanza had Asperger's and slaughtered a school full of children and his own mother.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

Meditation and mindfulness in particular are wonderful practices and it's just about cultivating the habit of being present and accepting things as they are , there is no dogma or deity attached to it.

Also, if you are going to get into any religious practice whether Buddhism or Christianity or something else, it's good to drop your preconceived notion of diety and focus on learning and listening.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

Monkey cheese :unsmigghh:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Smoothrich posted:

He has Asperger's, which is the same as being a sociopath. No empathy. Psychopathic tendencies.

Adam Lanza had Asperger's and slaughtered a school full of children and his own mother.

who the gently caress are you loser

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ashgromnies posted:

who the gently caress are you loser

Your unbridled aggressive posting reveals some latent neuropsychosis. Have you ever been diagnosed with ASPD or BPD?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Smoothrich posted:

And here I thought it was just really high functioning autism (so much so that the new DSM eliminated it as its own thing)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think you guys are mostly joking around, but in case OP does want some actual advice, here it goes.

Let's get the easy stuff out of the way first. Anyone willing to give you a diagnosis of "Pseudopsychopathic Schizophrenia" is likely not a good psychiatrist. That is an out of date diagnosis that essentially has no value as as a descriptor of illness, prognostically, or treatment-wise. I cannot fathom any reason why someone would use that label other than to appease the patient. Any psychiatrist worth their salt would immediately raise their eyebrow at such a silly diagnosis.

Time to talk about sociopathic tendencies. This is a really sticky subject in the field, and a point of disagreement between many psychiatrists and psychologists. I think anti-social tendencies or anti-social traits are much better terms, because really there is no such thing as a pure "sociopath". Humans are way more complex than boiling them down to one word, and the layperson's conception of a sociopath basically only exists in movies or TV. No one acts or thinks like Dexter in real life, and if they claim to, it's because they are being influenced by the fiction, not the other way around. Since you specifically bring about Dexter, we can talk more about that later. People can have anti-social aspects to their personality, but even then it's a very hard thing to judge, and it's way over-diagnosed. Most physicians are not in the same life circumstance as the people they are diagnosing as anti-social, and they really don't bother to try and place themselves in their patients shoes. When someone tries to fake symptoms to get into the hospital, tells you they deal drugs, gets arrested for assault, or just says they want to kill everyone, it's relatively low effort to slap them with a diagnosis of anti-social personality disorder and call it a day, rather than actually try to think about what their life is like and what led to them making those choices. Often times they have very good reasons for making those choices, and while they might not feel guilty about them, they don't perceive those choices as inherently evil like the psychiatrist might.

Labeling someone as "psychopath", "sociopath", or even "anti-social" does little to nothing for them, and basically reduces what's probably a complex interaction of tragic life circumstances, maladaptive decision making, and other psychiatric illness down into a label that essentially is an official PC way of calling someone an rear end in a top hat. According to the current literature there are no treatments for being "anti-social" medication doesn't help with it, and neither does psychotherapy, so what exactly are you doing for your patient by calling them that? I'm sure someone is going to cite some study claiming to be effective, but that's all you'll find-- single studies from crappy journals without replication. Even calling a serial killer a "psychopath" is completely unhelpful, because serial killers likely have a combination of OCD, fetishistic violence, and anti-social traits.

Finally, let's turn the conversation back to you. I wouldn't ever diagnose someone without meeting them in person, but just from reading your posts I can tell that your psychiatrist/psychologist is doing you no favors. The fact that you've come to identify with a bullshit label like "sociopath" to the point that you are choosing to incorporate it as some fundamental part of your personality is just bad news. You are just going to end up using it as an excuse for your behavior in the future, instead of getting to the root of whatever is actually going on. The fact that you can empathize with Dexter is also a red flag, because Dexter is an incredibly poorly written character from a psychiatric standpoint. His personality and behavior in the show are completely inconsistent with any psychiatric diagnosis, and have no real world correlate. Furthermore your provider doesn't even believe what they are telling you, because their medication regimen suggests that they think you have Schizophrenia and an anxiety disorder. Again I have no idea what you are actually suffering from, but I will say that 99% of the patients I have encountered who tell me they are a "psychopath" or "anti-social" actually have Borderline Personality Disorder, and clutch dearly to those other labels to justify their manipulative behaviors, maladaptive coping techniques, and poor interpersonal conduct.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

Let's get the easy stuff out of the way first. Anyone willing to give you a diagnosis of "Pseudopsychopathic Schizophrenia" is likely not a good psychiatrist. That is an out of date diagnosis that essentially has no value as as a descriptor of illness, prognostically, or treatment-wise. I cannot fathom any reason why someone would use that label other than to appease the patient. Any psychiatrist worth their salt would immediately raise their eyebrow at such a silly diagnosis.

Finally, let's turn the conversation back to you. I wouldn't ever diagnose someone without meeting them in person, but just from reading your posts I can tell that your psychiatrist/psychologist is doing you no favors. The fact that you've come to identify with a bullshit label like "sociopath" to the point that you are choosing to incorporate it as some fundamental part of your personality is just bad news. You are just going to end up using it as an excuse for your behavior in the future, instead of getting to the root of whatever is actually going on. The fact that you can empathize with Dexter is also a red flag, because Dexter is an incredibly poorly written character from a psychiatric standpoint. His personality and behavior in the show are completely inconsistent with any psychiatric diagnosis, and have no real world correlate. Furthermore your provider doesn't even believe what they are telling you, because their medication regimen suggests that they think you have Schizophrenia and an anxiety disorder. Again I have no idea what you are actually suffering from, but I will say that 99% of the patients I have encountered who tell me they are a "psychopath" or "anti-social" actually have Borderline Personality Disorder, and clutch dearly to those other labels to justify their manipulative behaviors, maladaptive coping techniques, and poor interpersonal conduct.

If OP is actually serious with this thread(I'm pretty sure they aren't at this point) try your best to read and really absorb these comments.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Seems BPD is often comorbid with Asperger's legit though. BPD is also a crazy chick syndrome primarily. I think Dexter idolizing empathy lacking evil goons are likely When Good Spergs Go Bad. Perhaps his choice in anime or jRPG never matured in time.

Autism has no cure.. but you can choose which anime you wish was real. Good, or evil?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
*grumble*
I have a sociopathic friend. At one point he was so hopped up on drug cocktails he kicked the poo poo out of his mom. He always is scheming something, and types up these long manifestos about various actions. He's currently suicidal and almost unhelpable. He's in and out of doctors and on and off drugs.

He does decent financially, but isn't deriving life satisfaction from that. It's always something complex that most people would let go that drives him to insanity.

I am batshit too, in a different way. We came to different conclusions about the meaning of life over the years, he ended up suicidal. I feel partially responsible because I've probably been an echo chamber for him over the years.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

*grumble*
I have a sociopathic friend. At one point he was so hopped up on drug cocktails he kicked the poo poo out of his mom. He always is scheming something, and types up these long manifestos about various actions. He's currently suicidal and almost unhelpable. He's in and out of doctors and on and off drugs.

He does decent financially, but isn't deriving life satisfaction from that. It's always something complex that most people would let go that drives him to insanity.

I am batshit too, in a different way. We came to different conclusions about the meaning of life over the years, he ended up suicidal. I feel partially responsible because I've probably been an echo chamber for him over the years.

why is this guy your friend

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

why is this guy your friend

More or less have known him for over 20 years. I'm also dumb and only cut people out of my life if they are negatively affecting me somehow, so I fraternize with all different types of people to different degrees . The rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than that but whatever. He's an interesting guy to talk to because while he's loving insane, he's also brilliant.

Few people like to banter back and forth about armchair economics, social observations, and random other poo poo sane people don't talk about.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Megasabin posted:

I think you guys are mostly joking around, but in case OP does want some actual advice, here it goes.

Thanks for the advice. I am actually going to bring up most of these points with my therapist, I have been looking for questions to bring them. I just have a hard time expressing my ideas in a verbal fashion without resorting to extreme emotional states so I tend to just keep numb.

• Locked thread