Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

He was also born to a set medic and entertainment agent, he was acting since he was five, I mean he probably didn't have much choice in the matter (I suppose most child actors are kinda pushed into it). Makes it sad that his schizophrenia makes him seem to blame his mother but there's probably a grain of truth. Being an entertainment agent who has a child who is gifted and has a deep passion for acting is like a vegetarian having a child who hates the taste of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
he seems like a thoughtful and perspicacious young man in those interviews

rip hayden christiansen

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Seriously, how much money did he make from that movie? Something tells me it could never be enough.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else keep confusing him with Tiny Face Guy?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Say Nothing posted:

Oblivion was actually the most realistic TES

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
it's p funny to realize the Star Wars new hope is now an adult that beats up his mom and goes on high speed police chases in Indy

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Ahundredbux posted:

actually you can, anti-psychotic medicine is just a stopgap but with proper therapy you can cure schizophrenia

Well poo poo, learn something new every day. I didn't realize it was curable, I thought it was one of those conditions a person is stuck managing for the rest of their life.

E:

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, I always mix them up if there isn't a picture to go with whatever trash I'm reading that mentions one or the other. Same with Tobey Maguire and Elijah Wood.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 13, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Maybe he should have diversified his assets or at least acted in some other films.

iirc he didnt care too much about acting and liked doing stuff behind the scenes more so he was going to be pals with george and get a sweet job at ILM but then he got crazy and so much for that

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
does the guy who played jar jar ever get poo poo because knowing nerds if they bothered to read the credits and learn his name there'd probably be assassination attempts

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

does the guy who played jar jar ever get poo poo because knowing nerds if they bothered to read the credits and learn his name there'd probably be assassination attempts

I dont know about getting poo poo on, but he defends the prequels and iirc his twitter avatar is him in the cgi "giant jar jar head on top of a normal human head" getup

im assuming being the body of jar jar binks is enough divine punishment that everyone decided it would be too sad to harass him

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

dude catching poo poo at school for being in loving star wars is probably the only time "they're just jealous" honestly explains bullying

iirc daniel radcliffe got similar treatment when he was still a kid, guy was lucky to grow up handsome + not severely mentally ill

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

like I find it hard to believe his peers hated on him specifically because it was a bad movie. not that it isn't one in retrospect, i mean I remember being 9 and coming out of the cinema thinking "that was cool" :kiddo:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

It's banned forums poster niggerstomper58!

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Ahundredbux posted:

actually you can, anti-psychotic medicine is just a stopgap but with proper therapy you can cure schizophrenia
What type (or types) of therapy will do it?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Secks Cauldron posted:

What type (or types) of therapy will do it?

Lol no there's definitely no cure. About 1/3 of schizos respond favorably enough to the medication to stay out the psych hospital & live independently, and that's about as good as it gets.

Antipsychotics really only treat positive symptoms like auditory/visual hallucinations...there's not really any treatment for the negative symptoms like avolition, social isolation, blunted affect, etc which can be just as impairing.

It's an incredibly debilitating illness--probably the most debilitating mental illness--and its a blessing that it's uncommon

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Say Nothing posted:

always and forever

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i wonder was it the acting that put him over the edge or the promotion work

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

i wonder was it the acting that put him over the edge or the promotion work

i think it was the schizophrenia fella!!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

nomadologique posted:

i think it was the schizophrenia fella!!

Schizophrenia usually requires a trigger.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
such as having your own emotional development steamrolled with a persona created by an incompetent screenwriter

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Robo Reagan posted:

Dude mostly just directs commercials these days. I have a buddy who worked with him on one recently, and apparently he actually kinda talks like Jar Jar. I mean not with meesas and stuff but especially when excited you can hear it's not too far from how he really speaks and not just a silly voice for him.

So I think Jake Lloyd may have won on that one.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Say Nothing posted:

Having kids follow you around making light saber noises the entire time you're at school would drive anyone insane.

ACtually, it would be cool as hell.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gazpacho posted:

such as having your own emotional development steamrolled with a persona created by an incompetent screenwriter

Actually I think it was probably all those hijinks with Sinbad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

given his age though, Jake must have been lurking in FYAD since the very start..... pour one out for a long term homie

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
im permabanned actor jedistomper58. i first started star wars when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “the force” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “chewbacca balls” and “i love making GBS threads inside jedi assholes” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the force from star wars was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” star wars to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Schizophrenia is hugely genetic or at least hugely influenced by a persons very early environment. Even without Star Wars there's a really, really good chance he would have developed it anyway and not been a millionaire. If anything being a child star probably gives him a leg up on someday leading a stable life.

Huh? I'm not saying he got it from a goddam movie, I'm saying his entire life's story is kinda sad and I'm feeling basic human empathy for a poor soul dealt a lovely hand. Money doesn't solve his problems, there's a good chance that it might very well exacerbate it because people feel less sympathy for someone when they can say "Well at least he has money so I don;t have to feel bad", or hope for a payoff to ignore bullshit. Dude's got a legit mental illness that has nothing to do with Sonic the Hedgehog or Legos and he got bullied so much he's hyper bitter about it. I feel bad for him. You probably should too. But I ain't here to tell you how to live your life so I guess make up your own mind.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

i was nice to him in high school just in case he ever turned out to be a crazy person

glad to know i made the right call

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It's cool to be a hater in gbs

Irl it's the opposite

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
you just know that his tombstone is going to say "may the force be with him" and he will come back as an angry force ghost

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

gagelion is back posted:

• has been struggling with the Dark Side
  • who played Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi who becomes Darth Vader
  • driving like he was trying to relive his pod-racing glory.
  • The Force was clearly with the other drivers
  • is best known for playing Anakin Skywalker, the future Darth Vader, as a 10-year-old in 1999's "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace."
  • But stardom seems a long time ago and a galaxy far, far away

In a three hundred word store they manage to mention Star Wars six times.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
if you're both schizo and a sociopath, does the latter cancel out the former

like the microwave starts whispering "your mother never loved you, why not end it all" and you just go gently caress off mac, gimme my burrito

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I'm just amazed that thousands of kids probably auditioned for that role and he was the final choice. Even for a child actor he was hot garbage.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

haljordan posted:

I'm just amazed that thousands of kids probably auditioned for that role and he was the final choice. Even for a child actor he was hot garbage.

yeah he wasnt believable as someone who would eventually turn crazy at all

gagelion is back
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot

haljordan posted:

are you really amazed that george lucas is incompetent

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

haljordan posted:

There's a couple behind the scenes video of another kid that actually makes it work. He's reading the infamously terrible "Are you an Angel"? line with Portman, and it sort of works.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
from my perspective star wars is evil!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe he's the guy with AIDS too? Oh, wait. They said "a-lister", nvm.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
was he picked on in middle school? hmm let me think

- Weighed 750 pounds
- Parents were both George Lucas (long story)
- Wore a Jedi robe to school every day
- Had the word gungan instead of a mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

There's a couple behind the scenes video of another kid that actually makes it work. He's reading the infamously terrible "Are you an Angel"? line with Portman, and it sort of works.

the other kid also looks like a little mark hammill.

The Mentalizer posted:

was he picked on in middle school? hmm let me think

- Weighed 750 pounds
- Parents were both George Lucas (long story)
- Wore a Jedi robe to school every day
- Had the word gungan instead of a mouth

• Locked thread