Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Poil posted:

Although obviously the options menu is pretty likely to be in the game at launch.

Doom 3 BFG still doesn't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Welp, once again it looks like its on Frontier to deliver the goods after a more famous company promising to create a similar experience poo poo the bed.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I was reading this thread and was really confused. So RTCW is being made by the people who made 1 and 2? Frontier (Elite : Dangerous and RCT3) are making a game called planet coaster, which is in the early phases it seems. They put out a cool video last week about crowd simulation which immediately caught my interest. I know that people prefer the original two RCT games, but I really loved RCT3. It had a fantastic expansion with swimming pools.

Here is the crowd simulation video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyWUT0UsZE

I know that RCTW has a beta, but it already looks garbage compared to this Planet Coaster...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mitochondritom posted:

I was reading this thread and was really confused. So RTCW is being made by the people who made 1 and 2? Frontier (Elite : Dangerous and RCT3) are making a game called planet coaster, which is in the early phases it seems. They put out a cool video last week about crowd simulation which immediately caught my interest. I know that people prefer the original two RCT games, but I really loved RCT3. It had a fantastic expansion with swimming pools.

Here is the crowd simulation video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tyWUT0UsZE

I know that RCTW has a beta, but it already looks garbage compared to this Planet Coaster...

RCTW is being developed by Nvizzio, but they're the 3rd dev team to work on it after Atari shitcanned the other 2. Chris Sawyer, the original creator has nothing to do with it or Planet Coaster. Planet Coaster is the RCT3 team basically trying to do RCT3 but better. Bear in mind when looking at RCTW footage that it's scheduled to be released in just over a month.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Matthewtheman posted:

It was the Robin Hood one.

The Robin Hood scenario definitely let me take a loan out to build a sweet themed coaster called Black Death :black101:

Planet Coaster looks so much better than RCTW it's laughable.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Where are you guys getting this? Planet Coaster has a pedigree and a single video on crowd simulation. RCTW has a (third) unknown developer who released an intentionally crippled beta test for a weekend. If I had to pick a weaker option I'd go with RCTW but neither has shown themselves as good or bad yet. I see no reason to cast judgement until actual release.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Probably do not preorder either game, or any game

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please stop trying to convince yourselves that RCTW will be good, you're only hurting the ones you love.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Gave RCTW another go and then went and asked Steam for a refund. It's not good :smith:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wait wait wait, it's scheduled to be released in just over a month and yet the financial and guest sections aren't finished? And more importantly it's a bug filled unplayable mess? Drop this loving poo poo into the ocean and wait for parkitect or planet coaster, jesus.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Where are you guys getting this? Planet Coaster has a pedigree and a single video on crowd simulation. RCTW has a (third) unknown developer who released an intentionally crippled beta test for a weekend. If I had to pick a weaker option I'd go with RCTW but neither has shown themselves as good or bad yet. I see no reason to cast judgement until actual release.

Planet Coaster is not coming out in the next month like RCTW. The amount of developers that had worked on RCTW makes it seem like looks like there was a ton of mismanagement involved (which as completely tanked games before). The beta test didn't seem to win anyone over. Obviously beta tests don't represent the final product, especially with sections intentionally left out. However, this is scenario is really similar to other failed games including Simcity '13. I'd bet money on RCTW being doodoo, and Planet Coaster at worst case scenario, being better.

Id rather both be good games though :smithcloud:

Control Volume posted:

Probably do not preorder either game, or any game

And no matter the outcome, always this. finish your lp

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget Parkitect guys!!!

http://www.themeparkitect.com/

Parkitect is a small indie project that's more similiar to RCT1 and 2. It's in pre-alpha that you can play if you pre-order but already very good. I reccomend checking it out.

What is Christ Sawyer up to now a days nayways

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm going to assume Mobile games. They're all doing Mobile games these days :(

How much is there to do in Parkitect at the moment? Screenshots make it look Prison Architect in the way that the stuff is there but they're working on it (Prison Architect is the gold standard of EA).

Croccers fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 2, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Croccers posted:

I'm going to assume Mobile games. They're all doing Mobile games these days :(

Yup. :smith:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Sawyer

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
So I've been having fun with coaster cam in rct3. What are some pants-shittingly fast and intense coasters I could make? I want to try them on coaster cam.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Matthewtheman posted:

So I've been having fun with coaster cam in rct3. What are some pants-shittingly fast and intense coasters I could make? I want to try them on coaster cam.

Find a build of the Six Flags Superman steel coaster, it'd probably be under hyper coasters.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

Find a build of the Six Flags Superman steel coaster, it'd probably be under hyper coasters.

Technically it's called Bizarro now. I've actually been on the coaster irl. It was fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bizarro actually has a pretty different track from the original two.

E: Still has the drop though, which is what you're looking for.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I poo poo my pants on any rollercoaster taller than the ones at Disneyland but I love building them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I decided to try and finally get into RCT3 Plat, but for some reason now it just crashes on launch despite working in the past. Both my GOG copy and STEAM copy. Even after fresh installs, verifies, etc.

Windows 7. I have had a video card brand change since the last time I tried to turn RCT3 on, but I have no idea if that'd be a factor or not (was an AMD, is now an Nvidia). No other notable changes I can think of aside from that, and I've got the old drivers removed.

Latest uninstall, reinstall of the Steam version is still a no go. Currently the GOG version is uninstalled in case it was a case of two copies of the game conflicting.

I tried the whole "Set options file to FirstRun 0" thing for the install folder. I tried digging up the options file in the appdata\roaming\atari and typing in my native resolution (even though I was hoping to play windowed mode).

It just crashes on start. What stupid idiot obvious thing am I missing?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Section Z posted:

So I decided to try and finally get into RCT3 Plat, but for some reason now it just crashes on launch despite working in the past. Both my GOG copy and STEAM copy. Even after fresh installs, verifies, etc.

Windows 7. I have had a video card brand change since the last time I tried to turn RCT3 on, but I have no idea if that'd be a factor or not (was an AMD, is now an Nvidia). No other notable changes I can think of aside from that, and I've got the old drivers removed.

Latest uninstall, reinstall of the Steam version is still a no go. Currently the GOG version is uninstalled in case it was a case of two copies of the game conflicting.

I tried the whole "Set options file to FirstRun 0" thing for the install folder. I tried digging up the options file in the appdata\roaming\atari and typing in my native resolution (even though I was hoping to play windowed mode).

It just crashes on start. What stupid idiot obvious thing am I missing?

I think I had something like that some years ago. I think it was because of some lingering registry entry from a previous installation. Run ccleaner's registry cleanup maybe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

I think I had something like that some years ago. I think it was because of some lingering registry entry from a previous installation. Run ccleaner's registry cleanup maybe.

Well, the CCleaner did show up bad registry stuff to clear out like you said (from both the GOG and Steam version)

Reinstalling after those were cleaned out still results in it just crashing on startup though, unfortunatly. Whether I have the firsttime set to 0 or 1 (and the appdata options have my native resolution in it already/never deleted those with the uninstalls).

Thanks for the advice though, because that did seem to be an issue that was there.

EDIT: It has a habit of telling me one file failed and needs to be redownloaded nearly every time I try to validate the files, like just now. Wonder what file it is that seems to be going wrong constantly.

Success Edit: I just straight up deleted the appdata folder and the Steamapps options file for good measure, validated (1 file bad as per usual), and oh hey game launches.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 3, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh. My. What a. Surprise.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They straight up say they're changing the coaster creator to effectively be the old style. Thank god they spent so much time on this new creator.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They're not removing the new way of doing it, just allowing use of premade curves and such. It's actually a welcome and better improvement after watching people build coasters with the beta.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Any talk of a goon openrct2 server? I keep getting kicked from the reddit server (the only open MP server) for removing all the swastikas and changing the park name to non-juvenile poo poo. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Electric Lady posted:

Any talk of a goon openrct2 server? I keep getting kicked from the reddit server (the only open MP server) for removing all the swastikas and changing the park name to non-juvenile poo poo. :v:

You monster! I bet you sold the death coasters and put in rides that generate profit too!

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I had to clear out the swastikas to try to build my shuttle loops!!

What are the logistics of running a park server? My connection isn't amazing, so I don't think I could run a dedicated server, but if it only makes sense to have it up for a few hours at a time we could have weekend sessions and things like that. I'd be willing to host for some of those if folks are interested. (My thinking is that keeping a dedicated server running means the park is constantly simming, which means it would need constant supervision. I work a 9-5 so this is impossible for me, and I imagine for most human beings, unfortunately.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, OpenRCT2 has multiplayer?!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, OpenRCT2 has multiplayer?!

Not emptyquoting.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

Yes, but it is very much alpha / beta. I haven't tried it yet personally but it looks cool as hell.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Yeah, even when I wasn't getting kicked 5 seconds after entering the server I would get de-synced with the host within a couple of minutes. You have to check the switch in the Options menu to let you stay connected to the server, even after a de-sync. In order to mitigate problems of people building stuff onto each other and potentially crashing the game, we'd have to pick different spots in which to build. I've seen some very nice sandbox maps split up in such a way that it has multiple separate "fields" so this is entirely possible.

I understand there's also a problem with staff placement? I think it's something like, only staff the host places work. Anyone have any further knowledge on this?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They're not removing the new way of doing it, just allowing use of premade curves and such. It's actually a welcome and better improvement after watching people build coasters with the beta.

I am already super goddamned terrible at building better than medium excitement coasters without things getting out of hand in 1, 2, and 3. So 100% freestyle or whatever was in the beta would probably result in barf city on top of middling funs.

Instead of my results of Intensity always being slightly higher than the excitement for my "Good" coasters (6.4 excite, 6.7 intense, but 2. nausea, good enough for my Wild mouse!). Or managing 3 excite, 10.x intensity, and 2.5 nausea. "But I banked my turns and everything! *drops coaster down 300 foot steep incline to figure 8 loop* What did I possibly do wrong? :downs:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 14, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I might be able to run a dedicated server, depending on the system requirements. My VPS only has a gig of memory, but I figure that's probably enough to handle Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 :v:

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

Even a Windows AWS VM with 4gb of ram would be less than $90 / month if it was running full time. I would gladly contribute to that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Well...at least they recognized problems and are saying they're going to fix them before releasing? :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well...at least they recognized problems and are saying they're going to fix them before releasing? :shrug:

If they delayed it from just testing the coaster portion I can only imagine the shitstorm when they actually test guests and economy, if they do.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Control Volume no longer has an avatar telling us to shut up about roller coasters. Clearly it is now fair game to demand they finish their LP. :colbert:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Control Volume no longer has an avatar telling us to shut up about roller coasters. Clearly it is now fair game to demand they finish their LP. :colbert:

Okay I'll update the LP tonight.

But it'll be the wrong lp ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I want to get off Kairos: The Slow!

It takes 210 real life days to complete the ride