Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought Jar-Jar was supposed to be the prequel version of Chewbacca (at least in TPM), just like Obi-Wan was Han, Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan, Padme was Leia, and Anakin was kind-of Luke.

Can't tell if this is a serious post or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I remember prior to TPM coming out that that was the dominant theory as to how the characters would lineup compared to the original trilogy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So there's what's supposedly a leaked image of Snoke from some making-of art book... He's a lizard person.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chairman Capone posted:

So there's what's supposedly a leaked image of Snoke from some making-of art book... He's a lizard person.

http://i.imgur.com/H0It4sd.jpg
Is anyone surprised?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

i like alot of what they have shown/leaked about the new movie/canon but snoke is terrible loving name. on the level of sheev. it sounds like a lovely knockoff hybrid street drug in the 3rd world.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I haven't been able to find much on Supreme Commander Snoke, that's one thing they seem to have wrapped in mystery pretty well. It's a little odd having an alien be in command of the First Order when pretty much everyone else in the Empire is human. Then again, there's Grand Admiral Thrawn but that's an exception. And he's basically just a human with blue skin, anyway.

If I were in charge of Star Wars, I think it would be cool if after ROTJ, Star Wars went all Cold War with the New Republic and Empire both having Death Stars and not wanting to engage in a full on conflict so they wage proxy wars instead.

They might actually be doing something like this, I dunno. After the battle of Jakku, they sign a peace treaty. However the New Republic isn't even mentioned in most TFA stuff and I'm not sure if the First Order is the Imperial Remnant, a splinter organization that's gone rogue or some new group that's a copycat of the old Empire. I guess the New Republic is still around but don't want to fight a war, so this new Resistance group popped up.

Also Lando Calrissian should be president of the New Republic because that would own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it would be cool if the New Republic and the Empire signed an armistice and The Force Awakens is a border war between First Order terrorists and New Republic dissidents unwilling to demilitarize.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My guess is The First Order fought the New Republic to a stalemate or wiped it out entirely. Leia refuses to submit and organizes The Resistance with old friends.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My guess is The First Order fought the New Republic to a stalemate or wiped it out entirely. Leia refuses to submit and organizes The Resistance with old friends.

Have they confirmed that it's called the New Republic in the new Disney canon?

I'm hoping for the situation to be like you described, but I have a sinking feeling that we'll find out that the Rebel Alliance never spawned the New Republic after Palpatine's death and that this Kylo Ren person just seized the reins of the Empire basically immediately. I'm completely spoiler-free beyond that though, so for all I know that's already been cleared up in the pre-release leaks.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Drone posted:

Have they confirmed that it's called the New Republic in the new Disney canon?

Pretty sure it's called that in the Aftermath novel.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I spoilered myself on Wookieepedia. I'm slightly more contended, but still cautious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't see how Ren could have taken over the entire empire. In this new timeline, the Empire got their poo poo kicked in so badly at Jakku that they immediately signed an armistice with the fledgling New Republic. Granted that was 29 years before Force Awakens, but that is still a massive blow that would take a long time to recover from.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't see how Ren could have taken over the entire empire. In this new timeline, the Empire got their poo poo kicked in so badly at Jakku that they immediately signed an armistice with the fledgling New Republic. Granted that was 29 years before Force Awakens, but that is still a massive blow that would take a long time to recover from.

It's probably going to be something more akin to the warlordism that happened in the old EU in the timeframe between ROTJ and Thrawn. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope so.Much more interesting to see a resistance movement going rogue against New Republic wishes to fight the good fight.
But seriously, Starkiller Base is yet another superweapon? And one that can destroy Solar Systems? Great JJ, I didn't realize you had Kevin J Anderson ghost writing this script.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If the New Republic was wiped out entirely that would really suck.

In Aftermath, it says Mon Mothma wants to demilitarize ASAP, so the New Republic is probably just like the old one and doesn't have a formal army, except this time nobody is conveniently handing them a bunch of clones so the Resistance has to fight the First Order.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope so.Much more interesting to see a resistance movement going rogue against New Republic wishes to fight the good fight.
But seriously, Starkiller Base is yet another superweapon? And one that can destroy Solar Systems? Great JJ, I didn't realize you had Kevin J Anderson ghost writing this script.

This is JJ "FIRE EVERYTHIIIING" Abrams we're talking about.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Maybe the Resistance is just trying to overthrow the First Order's rule over their own core territory (which I'm assuming is the rump Empire left after the armistice?), and the New Republic still exists but just doesn't give a poo poo/want to declare war/whatever. Or trying to stop them from invading the Republic, or something.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

It's always Fey'lya.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fail, yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drone posted:

This is JJ "FIRE EVERYTHIIIING" Abrams we're talking about.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

There's even a planet-destroying superweapon!

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Ren is Anakin's clone--the creepy cult from Aftermath managed to salvage some actual pieces of Anakin's armor with his DNA partially intact. Problem is, he's insane, and he's been led by the cult since childhood to believe he is the chosen one destined to bring balance to the Force.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

Ren is Anakin's clone--the creepy cult from Aftermath managed to salvage some actual pieces of Anakin's armor with his DNA partially intact. Problem is, he's insane, and he's been led by the cult since childhood to believe he is the chosen one destined to bring balance to the Force.

Nah. He's Han and Leia's son. Adam Driver resembles Harrison Ford, and there's a reason for this.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not to mention that there's a pretty crazy resemblance between Daisy Ridley and Natalie Portman.

http://wp-pbp.static-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/amidala_and_rey.jpg

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm not spoilering any of that poo poo either, because if you've seen any of the trailers and any of this poo poo surprises you, I dunno what to tell you. If you're surprised that Rey is Luke's daughter and Kylo Ren is Han & Leia's son, you were also probably shocked to learn that Palpatine and Sidious were the same guy. The whole Khan thing in Into Darkness was also a very poorly kept secret, although that one I can give you because Benedict Cumberbatch Khan is absolutely nothing like the real Ricardo Montalban Khan whatsoever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd laugh if the "Kylo Ren is Anakin's Clone" thing turned out to be true. It's be Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn in Star Wars.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd laugh if the "Kylo Ren is Anakin's Clone" thing turned out to be true. It's be Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn in Star Wars.

I don't know about you but I'm down for some Full Frontal Star Wars

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not spoilering any of that poo poo either, because if you've seen any of the trailers and any of this poo poo surprises you, I dunno what to tell you. If you're surprised that Rey is Luke's daughter and Kylo Ren is Han & Leia's son, you were also probably shocked to learn that Palpatine and Sidious were the same guy. The whole Khan thing in Into Darkness was also a very poorly kept secret, although that one I can give you because Benedict Cumberbatch Khan is absolutely nothing like the real Ricardo Montalban Khan whatsoever.

Calling it now, Rey is (pretty obviously) Han and Leia's daughter and a heroine, and Ren is their mentally disturbed, unlikeable son who has turned to evil.

So basically just like old EU.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Drone posted:

Calling it now, Rey is (pretty obviously) Han and Leia's daughter and a heroine, and Ren is their mentally disturbed, unlikeable son who has turned to evil.

So basically just like old EU.

Yeah. Episode 7 is basically Jacen and Jaina with the serial numbers filed off. Except maybe they're cousins instead of brother and sister, I dunno.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. Episode 7 is basically Jacen and Jaina with the serial numbers filed off. Except maybe they're cousins instead of brother and sister, I dunno.

I'll be pretty disappointed if Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. I want to hear about new people who aren't Skywalkers or Solos. Tens of trillions of people in the galaxy, there's got to be a few heroes who aren't related to each other.

It's gonna happen, because that's JJ.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Drone posted:

I'll be pretty disappointed if Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. I want to hear about new people who aren't Skywalkers or Solos. Tens of trillions of people in the galaxy, there's got to be a few heroes who aren't related to each other.

It's JJ, so the "surprises" aren't going to be very surprising. Watching all the different trailers and stuff, I think I can piece together exactly what the plot is going to be. This movie is going to be playing it very, very safe. I don't think it's going to go into crazy town with an evil Luke Skywalker or clones of Anakin or Palpatine.

That and Adam Driver looks like he could be Harrison Ford's son so put two and two together.

Also, I bet Han Solo is going to die because:
1) Harrison Ford doesn't like Star Wars and wanted him to die in ROTJ
2) Han Solo is getting a lot of screen time in this movie
3) Harrison Ford is getting loving old so they better kill Han before he dies for real

If Han makes it through the movie, I'll be really surprised.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Drone posted:

Kathleen Kennedy said the numbered episodes are going to be about the Skywalker family, while the other Star Wars stories will be covered in the "anthology" movies, or whatever they're being called now. So get used to it for episodes 7, 8, and 9.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't know why you're so sure Rey is Luke's daughter and not Han and Leia's. Sure it's possible, but it would also require them to invent Rey's mother, an entire Mara Jade character, and explain her absence, when it's so much easier to just go the twins route again.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But I am curious what makes you so sure you're right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kylo Ren being Luke's son or failed apprentice would pretty much destroy the idea that Luke's new Jedi would be better than the old and prove those stuffy prequel Jedi were right. And that would be terrible, because that whole refusal to love and feel emotions is what brought the old Order down to begin with. Seeing Luke's order fail would suck because he feels emotion and gave up fighting for the love of his father was the whole loving point of Return of the Jedi.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 18, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Actually now that I think about it, I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that there's a reveal during the course of the movie that Kylo Ren and Rey are just pseudonyms or nicknames or whatever and that their true names are *dun dunn* Jacen and Jaina.

Would kinda be the ultimate troll for people who were upset about New Canon/Legends.

Then again that's also exactly the type of thing that JJ Abrams would tease at and then have it come out completely untrue. Like during the buildup to JJTrek 2, it was hinted extremely heavily that Benedict Cumberbatch would actually be playing Gary Mitchell and not Khan, even going so far as to have Karl Urban leak that he played an "amazing Gary Mitchell" to the press. If it were true, the movie would have been a bit better for it.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 18, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Kathleen Kennedy said the numbered episodes are going to be about the Skywalker family, while the other Star Wars stories will be covered in the "anthology" movies, or whatever they're being called now. So get used to it for episodes 7, 8, and 9.

I don't know why you're so sure Rey is Luke's daughter and not Han and Leia's. Sure it's possible, but it would also require them to invent Rey's mother, an entire Mara Jade character, and explain her absence, when it's so much easier to just go the twins route again.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But I am curious what makes you so sure you're right.

I'm not sure, really. She's either Han\Leia's or Luke's. What I am pretty drat sure about is that Rey and Kylo Ren are either brother\sister or cousins.

I've been reading spoilers and many of them say that she is Luke's daughter. You never know the validity of them, and yeah, it is kind of odd that her mother would be some unseen character never shown onscreen. If this is a movie about the Skywalkers, leaving out her mom is a pretty glaring omission. From what I understand, Luke leaves her on Jakku to "protect" her from the Knights of Ren. Rey tries to avoid her destiny because she is mad at Luke for abandoning her.

So basically, a running trend is that Skywalkers are really terrible parents.

Drone posted:

Actually now that I think about it, I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility that there's a reveal during the course of the movie that Kylo Ren and Rey are just pseudonyms or nicknames or whatever and that their true names are *dun dunn* Jacen and Jaina.

Would kinda be the ultimate troll for people who were upset about New Canon/Legends.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were literally named Jacen and Jaina. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if Thrawn popped up in an after-credits scene, either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

drat, Abrams pulls that trick once with Khan, and everyone assumes it's his signature or something. There were no twists like that in Star Trek '09, Mission Impossible III, Super 8, etc. Alias had twists, but no "telegraphed yet denied" twists or anything like what is being suggested is what he loves doing. He helped develop the pilot of Lost, but Lindelof and Cuse were the ones doing all the really crazy poo poo on that show. I never watched Fringe, and he wrote 6 episodes of that, so maybe that was filled with these kinds of twists.

Yeah, the way he handled press with the Khan twist was weird. But it's, like, the one example I can think of where he did that. I've been watching the guy's stuff for years, since Alias, and I don't see this love of loving with his audience everyone else seems to.

(I chose not to go into his super early stuff, because that's hardly fair, but this is also the guy who created Felicity and wrote the original screenplay for Regarding Henry. Not using in my argument, just something I find funny looking back at where his career has gone.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 18, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
These are all expys of EU characters. Rey and Ren are Jaina and Jacen, Snokes is Thrawn/Desann and Starkiller Base is the Sun Crusher crossed with the Darksaber and the Eye of Palpatine.

Now if that last part were true I would love it if the whole planet blew itself up the moment it tried to fire its gun.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

They said it wouldn't be based on the EU, and I can believe they're not directly based off these things because I don't expect JJ and Kasdan to waste their time reading crappy licensed Star Wars novels, but rather they just so happened to churn out something really similar to what came before without even realizing it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gammatron 64 posted:

They said it wouldn't be based on the EU, and I can believe they're not directly based off these things because I don't expect JJ and Kasdan to waste their time reading crappy licensed Star Wars novels, but rather they just so happened to churn out something really similar to what came before without even realizing it.

Oh that's absolutely what is happening, I was being facetious. But when you consider just how creatively bankrupt the EU got at times, its not surprising to see some overlap with the new official stories. It makes you wonder why they couldn't just adapt something from the EU, but whatever at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arcsquad12 posted:

Snokes is Thrawn/Desann

Feels more to me like a Force-using Zsinj.

Also I loving hate the name Snoke. It makes me think of Snuke.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah they may not consciously be filming stories from the EU as they previously existed, but they have certainly shown a willingness to keep some background things canon when it suits them, if for nothing else than a lot of the EU's very general concepts are common knowledge (anecdotally, I work with some people who I'm going to see the new movie with, and they know absolutely nothing about Star Wars beyond the original trilogy, and even THEY know that Han and Leia have twins who are Jedi). It's not like EU-stuff-turned-canon wasn't a thing during the Lucasfilm days either... the name Coruscant was an invention of Timothy Zahn long before it was portrayed on-screen, even though he was inspired by George Lucas's original idea of the galactic capital of Had Abaddon.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 18, 2015