Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Basically I'm fine with them resolving the Kuroumaru thing in literally any way that isn't Kuroumaru nobly sacrificing the gender he (she? at this point? i guess) "wants" to be because being a woman doesn't give him enough "power"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
In regards to Kuromaru

Ken already kind of did this with Setsuna, to a degree, when she was wavering about being able to protect Konoka. I assume it'll probably be similar to that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like that Kirie's near immediate response to their goofy plan loving up was going to be to kill herself.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 18, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Toxxupation posted:

Basically I'm fine with them resolving the Kuroumaru thing in literally any way that isn't Kuroumaru nobly sacrificing the gender he (she? at this point? i guess) "wants" to be because being a woman doesn't give him enough "power"

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw that last panel. I really hope it doesn't happen that way, especially since both Negima and this have always had female characters that were freaking monsters, combat-wise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, gender is pretty meaningless as far as fighting goes in this setting. Well, aside from the stripping.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

chumbler posted:

I like that Kirie's near immediate response to their goofy plan loving up was going to be to kill herself.

Now I'm wondering how often she defaults to that. "Oh no, a pop quiz? Better off myself so I can study for it!"

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I hope however this is resolved it somehow wraps back around to Kuromaru going back to a guy because Tota is a goof who just wants him to be his bro for life and that's more interesting than him being yet another girl after him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think that would be cool, definitely, but I do like the way Ken's building Kuroumaru's deepening feelings for Touta and feel like any relationship they have if it's romantic would be earned

Also I read the thread and the people talking poo poo about Ako ignored the wondrous, totally wordless, single page...page that was Ako's reaction to realizing that "Nagi" was also Negi, which might have been the best and most affecting and subtle character work Akamatsu did with any character in Negima. Seriously, that page was great and still super affecting knowing it was coming when I reread the whole series. Just great, emotive, wordless storytelling

Anyways, Ako served an important point in the Magic World arc in general, being that like about a third of the class, which included all of the mundane characters, didn't travel to the Magic World, so Ako was essentially the "straight man", meant to represent the ignorant group of Negi's class who was more concerned with realistic, more down-to-earth problems. She's meant to be a grounding force to the narrative that's what Negi is literally fighting for. Previously that idea was shouldered by characters like Natsumi and Chisame, both excellent characters in their own right, but both of their arcs during Magic World were about coming to grips with and embracing that side of themselves, either by getting over their revulsion to and hatred of the fantasy bullshit (in Chisame's case) or coming to terms with their affection for another and getting self-actualized (in Natsumi's). Ako basically ended up getting stuck with having to be the grounded, daily-life portions of Negima when that portion would be spread out amongst more characters like Ayaka or the cheerleader trio or Makie or Yuuna or Akira or the Narutaki twins, and on and on. The few representations of the "mundane" portions of Negima that got brought in amongst Ako either had their arcs be about how well they adapted to the magic world (Makie and Yuuna) or were totally, completely superfluous (Akira). Seriously, why was Akira even there. She did nothing.

I don't think Ako's portions of magic world were necessarily the most interesting, but they were the most realistic and reflective of how an Actual Teenager would react to and deal with heartbreak and trauma, and i think that's what made Negima interesting: it wasn't just awesome fight scenes, it did oftentimes great character work as well

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I support whatever Kuromaru's decision is. Also whatever powerup Kuromaru gets should (and hopefully will) come from growing some goddamned confidence.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I mean for most of the manga the gender he wanted to be and insisted he was would be male so the actual coolest outcome would be to stick with that without giving up his feelings.

Look Ken either have the stones to go full gay or placate me with some Chachamaru, I will take either one at this point

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 18, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I mean for most recent of the manga the gender he wanted to be and insisted he was would be male so the actual coolest outcome would be to stick with that without giving up his feelings.

Look Ken either have the stones to go full gay or placate me with Chachamaru, I will take either one at this point

The "full gay" option could have been interesting, but Akamatsu already cut it off when Touta started fawning over Kitty. Kuromaru choosing to be male wouldn't necessarily mean giving up his feelings, but it would mean giving up most of the chance of those feelings being reciprocated.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am aware it's astronomically unlikely (and always kind of was given the magazine) but it'd be more interesting. Especially given the annoying dancing around we got with Konoka and Setsuna.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

chumbler posted:

I want a groundhog day chapter where Kirie keeps killing herself over and over while trying to accomplish some completely mundane task.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Especially given the annoying dancing around we got with Konoka and Setsuna.

Yeah, that was odd. After all the weird sexual stuff, explicitly stating that they were a couple is where the editors drew the line?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, he said without saying it. They got married at the end of the manga, for pete's sake

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Kyte posted:

While a summary is not bad, you're kinda spoiling the thing for everybody, you know.

Apologies, I'll keep that in mind next time. Should've thrown up more spoilers, I guess.

chumbler posted:

Avulsion posted:

I want a groundhog day chapter where Kirie keeps killing herself over and over while trying to accomplish some completely mundane task.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Now I'm wondering how often she defaults to that. "Oh no, a pop quiz? Better off myself so I can study for it!"

Yeah, all that would be really amusing. Really want to see Kirie exploit the hell out of her powers for mundane poo poo.

Rodyle posted:

I am aware it's astronomically unlikely (and always kind of was given the magazine) but it'd be more interesting. Especially given the annoying dancing around we got with Konoka and Setsuna.

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, he said without saying it. They got married at the end of the manga, for pete's sake
Yeah, but aren't mainstream anime fans in Japan a lot more accepting of anime lesbians than they are of yaoi/BL? Sure, the dancing around Konoha and Setsuna was annoying, but it was all but confirmed that they did end up together in the last chapter of Negima, and we got to see some of their descendants a couple chapters back.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

The "full gay" option could have been interesting, but Akamatsu already cut it off when Touta started fawning over Kitty. Kuromaru choosing to be male wouldn't necessarily mean giving up his feelings, but it would mean giving up most of the chance of those feelings being reciprocated.

Nah, Touta still doesn't understand love and was just trying to marry Kitty because he doesn't know the difference between liking your mom and liking your wife. Same as when you talk to little kids and they say they want to marry their mom/dad/cousin/dog/whatever wacky thing.

It's all really just a story about a boy and his love affair with his talking sword anyway. Poor girls/Kuromaru, they never stood a chance.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly I think it deserves mention that not only does Kuroumaru have an issue where s/he thinks loving Touta means being a girl, Kuroumaru has tied hanging out with, fighting alongside with, and growing with Touta to being male.

Kuroumaru's epiphany shouldn't be that she loves him and accepts becoming a girl thusly, or realizing that he can love Touta and still protect him as a boy, or anything like that. It should be that no matter what s/he ends up as doesn't matter. You can do anything as either in this crazy magic world where even being organic/robotic or human/demon/alien/whatever practically doesn't matter.

What I'm saying is she should become a cute girl and kick rear end at the same time, independent of liking Touta :colbert:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

PerrineClostermann posted:

What I'm saying is she should become a cute girl and kick rear end at the same time, independent of liking Touta :colbert:

Second.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

These gender pronouns are going to become and even bigger loving mess, huh

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Touta, Koromaru, and Ikkyu star in Read Only Memories

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

it'd be cool if touta accepted kuromaru for being gender fluid and didn't really give a drat one way or the other

why make kuromaru choose, i'd rather see them accept who they are without being forced into binary gender roles

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
all yall forgetting Ken's just going to retread the final Motoko arc "I'M STRONGER WHEN I HAVE SOMEONE I LOVE TO PROTECT"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really don't think Touta would care either way. Kid is very open-minded.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I wish that after Touta recognized Kuromaru at the end of last chapter, this chapter would have been just carrying on with Kuromaru without ever addressing the girly look. Maybe at the end of the chapter he could tell Kuromaru that he thinks he/she looks better with black hair or whatever, but have him never acknowledge or notice the dress.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"Kuromaru" told Touta that it was a different person, so why would he question that?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

it'd be cool if touta accepted kuromaru for being gender fluid and didn't really give a drat one way or the other

why make kuromaru choose, i'd rather see them accept who they are without being forced into binary gender roles

Literally nobody's forcing anybody. His state is 'Undetermined', which carries the implication that at some point it determines itself. Note how he's been physically changing without his deliberate input.
You're the one imposing characteristics here.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
It's explicitly stated that Kuromaru's people start out indeterminable but fix upon a single gender at about the age of 16. So they're more like those species that change sex as they grow, only with a genderless state as the initial state.

Though I can understand wanting a nonbinary character.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't help but imagine gender relations would be incomprehensibly different in a species that selects gender based on what they're attracted to well past adolescence. The concept that Kuro wants to go male because dudes are stronger is pretty lolworthy in a series in which all of the strongest people in the setting are either 10 year old kids or 14 year old girls.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't help but imagine gender relations would be incomprehensibly different in a species that selects gender based on what they're attracted to well past adolescence. The concept that Kuro wants to go male because dudes are stronger is pretty lolworthy in a series in which all of the strongest people in the setting are either 10 year old kids or 14 year old girls.

This is true. Negi's class is stupid broken, Eva is a bonus boss, Touta's last mentor was a chick, Kirie and Karin are great.

In fact I'm willing to say that being a girl in the Akamatsuverse is better than being a guy on average, provided you don't run into Negi or Touta.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

This is true. Negi's class is stupid broken, Eva is a bonus boss, Touta's last mentor was a chick, Kirie and Karin are great.

In fact I'm willing to say that being a girl in the Akamatsuverse is better than being a guy on average, provided you don't run into Negi or Touta.

You forgot the actual worse character to run into as a girl in Negimaverse, Jack Rakan. :ssh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Overlord K posted:

You forgot the actual worse character to run into as a girl in Negimaverse, Jack Rakan. :ssh:

Jack Rakan, Col. Sanders, or a Springfield. Any other guy is probably going to be or get chumped.

I do kind of want Kuromaru to stay a boy but keep convincing himself that he's totally changing into a woman. Oh god, my chest is getting bigger. I can feel it. They're called Pectoral muscles, Kuromaru, and you're flexing them.

Plus it would be a nice compliment to Touta's lack of understanding of what love is if his best bro has trouble differentiating best friend brotherhood and tingly girly feelings.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gyges posted:

Jack Rakan, Col. Sanders, or a Springfield. Any other guy is probably going to be or get chumped.

Fate? Takamichi? Kotaro? The devil guy from the post-Kyoto arc?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Fate isn't a real boy, Takamichi got chumped if I remember, so did the devil guy if it's who I'm thinking of. Kotaro should be added to the list I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gyges posted:

I do kind of want Kuromaru to stay a boy but keep convincing himself that he's totally changing into a woman. Oh god, my chest is getting bigger. I can feel it. They're called Pectoral muscles, Kuromaru, and you're flexing them.

Plus it would be a nice compliment to Touta's lack of understanding of what love is if his best bro has trouble differentiating best friend brotherhood and tingly girly feelings.

What I'm getting from your post is that Kuromaru needs to become Jack Rakan, and I completely agree.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Fate isn't a real boy, Takamichi got chumped if I remember, so did the devil guy if it's who I'm thinking of. Kotaro should be added to the list I guess.

Did Kotarou strip girls casually too?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

chumbler posted:

What I'm getting from your post is that Kuromaru needs to become Jack Rakan, and I completely agree.

As long as anyone becomes the new Jack Rakan, I agree. Except Kirie because we need another Chisame.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

chumbler posted:

InfinityComplex posted:

As long as anyone becomes the new Jack Rakan, I agree. Except Kirie because we need another Chisame.

Yup, I'm down with all of this, though Kuromaru is more likely to become another Setsuna instead. Dunno who'd be able to take up the broken cheat code mantle of Rakan though.

Speaking of which, I wish Ken would go back to the Setsuna/Konoka kids a couple chapters back. Wanna see some new generation Konoes get caught up in Ala Alba type shenanigans alongside Mizore, Chachamaru (if that really was her accompanying Ayaka) and possibly Mana, since she's still at Mahora.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Keitaro is immortal, think he'll show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Keitaro is immortal, think he'll show up?

Only if the story ever moves to turtle-based ruins.

• Locked thread