Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
No bots.
And people were regularly banned for buffbotting and bot-botting. There was a public bans forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If they see anyone on the same IP or on the same router they watch to make sure there are real live people playing or they will probate the poo poo out of you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PriNGLeS posted:

No bots.
And people were regularly banned for buffbotting and bot-botting. There was a public bans forum.

Sounds like how you play daoc in hell.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Bots were the worst thing to happen in DAoC. Most classes are balanced around not having buffs.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

If they see anyone on the same IP or on the same router they watch to make sure there are real live people playing or they will probate the poo poo out of you.

I think after they watched and then suspected they would port you to their "test zone" and would make you do simultaneous movements and poo poo. Then ban you if you failed.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, the coolest part of DAoC was how it became $30 a month to play.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

PriNGLeS posted:

Yeah, the coolest part of DAoC was how it became $30 a month to play.

Yeah if there was a list of the most hated poo poo on Mordred it would be:

1) Buffbots
2) Sin Vida
3) ISIS

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
A significant amount of the time I spend on Mordred was actually searching for hidden AFK bots and killing them for free RP's.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

im gay posted:

Are there any remotely similar games to vanilla DAoC with similar PvP? I have a really bad itch.

Depends on how you define DAoC PvP.

ESO and GW2 both have 1v1v1 non-instanced persistent siege-based PvP-PvE maps. And GW2 is free to play unless you want the expansion (which is not needed to play its iteration of RvR).

If DAoC was solo zerg-surfing, both those games do pretty good impressions. GW2's is better.

If DAoC was stealth groups ganking soloers, look no further than ESO.

If DAoC was 8-man zerg busting, no, that is dead and gone. PvP design has moved away from hard disables lasting more than 3-ish seconds and AOE target caps are the norm now.

If DAoC was 8v8, honestly WoW took that ball and ran with it in 5v5 Arenas and 10v10 organized battlegrounds.

If DAoC was 8v1, you'll be happy to know that gank squads are alive and well in ESO and GW2. Maybe more in ESO since GW2's rewards are slanted heavily toward capturing objectives.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
GW2 WvWvW is bad and boring. Oh look I'm downed. Press butan and endlessly smash doors.
ESO, I don't even know, I got so loving bored after 30 minutes of clicking a ballista and then getting 2 shot by a trebuchet or oil or something. Game is bad.
WoW PvP is alright, though, I guess. Battlegrounds are poo poo. Arenas are cool, rated BG's are whatever.
Nothing is really comparable because it's all "for funsies" pvp without any actual benefit or character progression. Or I guess you can get some stupid rear end mount and a boring title in WoW.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

PriNGLeS posted:

GW2 WvWvW is bad and boring. Oh look I'm downed. Press butan and endlessly smash doors.
ESO, I don't even know, I got so loving bored after 30 minutes of clicking a ballista and then getting 2 shot by a trebuchet or oil or something. Game is bad.

Are you sure you played daoc?

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

boho posted:

If DAoC was 8-man zerg busting, no, that is dead and gone. PvP design has moved away from hard disables lasting more than 3-ish seconds and AOE target caps are the norm now.

RIP winning 8 vs 100 fights pre-LA nerf, 3 healer setups. You were a fun thing to happen.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Mux posted:

RIP winning 8 vs 100 fights pre-LA nerf, 3 healer setups. You were a fun thing to happen.

It was briefly (well kind of brief? a couple of months) back right after ToA released. The hardcore groups that got ml10 while the rest of the server was 1-3. Held off a 150 man relic raid with 8. 3 tanks, 2 druids, bard, 2 animists. Easily the coolest thing I've ever done in a videogame. Well I guess it was kind of 16. Another 8 man was running interference/intercepting additional groups/people porting back.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Are you sure you played daoc?

Yeah, I wasn't bad so I had groups to play with.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

http://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35276

Trishin posted:

Hello everyone!

It has been a while since we have had a news post, so we thought it was time to give you an update of what has been going on, along with an update on what we are working on right now, and what will happen in the future. Spoiler: This will not include ETAs, as we don't want to disappoint you if an ETA is not met.

What has been going on:
We are very happy to announce that bonedancers, necromancers and pathing have been fully implemented. We know we talked about this being done before, however we have now reached a state where we could actually let players have a look at them. Having something implemented unfortunately doesn't mean that the work stops, and that no further effort needs to be put into them to make them work, so a lot of our downtime since the last post has been about finding edge-cases and polishing these three systems.

What is going on right now:
Right now we are having a very closed testing session with a few players. These are players who are very dedicated and have been following our progress closely. Additionally these players are very thorough testers and are sometimes abused like robots. We thank them very much for their dedication and testing resilience, and for all the time they have spent on making Uthgard a better place. Because of these players we have had some great progress since we first opened the testing phase: We have had about 200 bug reports created, and resolved within a month. That is 5-6 bugs / day that has been discovered and fixed, I hope you will agree with us that this is amazing work of both our developers and testing team.

If you want to join the testing, please fill out this form: http://goo.gl/forms/KojWIyrcEa - Remember, we hand pick who is invited to the test, filling out the form will not mean that you will be able to participate in future test cycles. You will get an email notification when we are ready for more testers.

Some of you might be sad about not being part of these tests, however as someone who have observed our testers at work, you have nothing to envy. The work they are doing is very boring, and often consists of repeating the same task over and over to figure out exactly how to reproduce behavior and bugs. Not much actual gameplay is actually being experienced by these testers at this point.

What will happen in the future:
Our focus at this time is to finish our RvR rewrite (I know, are we still on about this?!). This is a bigger task than anticipated to be honest with you, and at it's current state we don't feel comfortable to have anyone but our internal testers look at it. Once we have this at a state where we are comfortable having more eyes looking at it, we will move on to the next phase.

Our next phase will be some sort of open testing (you can call it an open beta). This hopefully will reveal bugs that our testers missed, but also give us a chance to see how some of the mechanics work that aren't testable with a small group of people (relic raids, dragon raids, etc).

Lastly, we will have a stress test. This test will be done to secure that as many players as possible will be able to connect at launch without experiencing lags. Hopefully this will show any major performance issues we might have created during our downtime, and give us a chance to have a smooth launch where everyone is able to play.

So as you can see we have been hard at work the last couple of months to get the server to a state where we can reopen for everyone. We as much as you, want to play again, and see our server full of people.

Hope you enjoyed our update on what is going on with Uthgard.

Warm regards,
Your Uthgard Staff.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Nice update. Maybe in 2016.....

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

PriNGLeS posted:

I'll give you the same advice I was given when I identified the exact same problems in DAOC, which also was and is a bad game:

Sounds like you soloed and were new and bad. Maybe you should try finding an organized group of players who are actually GOOD? :smug:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll believe it when I can log in. So far the Uthgard page has been pretty good about telling me what season it is.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

It was briefly (well kind of brief? a couple of months) back right after ToA released. The hardcore groups that got ml10 while the rest of the server was 1-3. Held off a 150 man relic raid with 8. 3 tanks, 2 druids, bard, 2 animists. Easily the coolest thing I've ever done in a videogame. Well I guess it was kind of 16. Another 8 man was running interference/intercepting additional groups/people porting back.

Yeah, ToA was pretty dumb too.

Getting 100+ kill spams in a fight was pretty hilarious though. People thought we were hacking/exploiting for the longest time until people realized what we were doing with our group setup, and how broken the classes/CC spells were.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Lethantis PvP server should be up soon. I'll check it out while waiting for Uthgard. Basically, it's OF only as the map. You spawn in a small village depending on realm choice, and cannot be attacked until level 10. Each realms map has been connected together so it's one big PvP zone, so there's no porting or zoning. There are 6 dungeons ranging from Nisse's Lair to Stonehenge, 2 for each realm, they've added to the OF map. It'll be like Mordred in many ways, with limited safe zones and guilds able to claim keeps to be able to spawn from them.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Here's the map:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Moderately impressed.
what about crafting/materials/trainers.

Is Darkness Falls one of the dungeons?

Is leveling speed increased?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Hmm. It's worth a try I guess.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
I'm in, what realm/etc.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Evernoob posted:

Moderately impressed.
what about crafting/materials/trainers.

Is Darkness Falls one of the dungeons?

Is leveling speed increased?

There is one safe zone with merchants and trainers, etc. Special currency will drop from mobs, and more so from pvp like bounty points you can use to buy different tiers of gear not found in the map dungeons.

DF will come if the server is popular enough to support it with the keep mechanic.

Leveling is 150% normal.

nousername posted:

I'm in, what realm/etc.

Only your guild matters, its pvp.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
er, yeah mordred-like. Didn't even think about that. ALRIGHT now that I'm done being an idiot.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
You aren't.... I actually missed that too.
With PvP I thought they meant 'no real pve areas, just the frontiers'.

Hmmm, kind of a downer for me. I loved Mordred for what it was... especially when hunting for people in those very PVE zones and ruining their day.
So does that mean cross-realm teaming is completely possible? Those starting area's are going to be a mess. (well, just beyond them)

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
What was the best 8-man class composition on Mordred anyway?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Far too many options, impossible to say.

I think the core of our group was Bard+Cleric+Druid, adding an Aug healer when we were Melee Heavy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Evernoob posted:

You aren't.... I actually missed that too.
With PvP I thought they meant 'no real pve areas, just the frontiers'.

Hmmm, kind of a downer for me. I loved Mordred for what it was... especially when hunting for people in those very PVE zones and ruining their day.
So does that mean cross-realm teaming is completely possible? Those starting area's are going to be a mess. (well, just beyond them)

Sorry yeah I should have been more specific. Cross realm teaming should be completely possible. You cannot be attacked by another player until level 10.

Without looking it up right now, there is keltoi, Stonehenge, Mithras, nisses, varulvheim, and prob like coruscating mines or something.

It's Mordred except straight to the point, not needing hundreds of players to support a giant gameworld. The three RVR maps should be quite large enough with the dungeons and mobs available over land. I'm thinking 50+ people will be enough to have a grand ol time assjamming people to my hearts content.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm going to be making a "stealth only" guild, and we can own all three stealth keeps all the time.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Oh god a new DAoC Shard, there goes my free time.

Also I'm totally gonna roll Minstrel.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I want to roll a Minstrel, too, and I want to AT him. :(

I'm like 99% sure it's mordred rules, but sometimes these foreign people have poor english and leave me slightly confused. Take this video as example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGafRm3vNXE

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Any guide to download? Don't you just download the official client + the launcher?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I used the lethantis launcher after a recent hd wipe. I assume you can just go official and use daoc portal, but I can't log into the server yet to tell you.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
If we're doing a stealth group, I'll rock an inf

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

nousername posted:

If we're doing a stealth group, I'll rock an inf

Shadowblade :dance:

or infil for dragonfang, or scout ranger minstrel :derp:

DAoC had too many good classes.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Especially on Mordred where each role can be done by 3 or more classes, which slight variations in skill/utility.

I never was a fan of Albion classes, but their stealth groups also having access to Minstrell skills was something the other two realms could only dream of.

(Them main reason I did not like playing Albion so much was mainly due to the fact that the "mandatory' skills were spread out over to many different classes, with endurance regen on the Paladin being the main culprit. I completely hated that class and thought they were useless before they got the Bodyguard skill)

A bit earlier someone asked for the perfect Mordred 8 man setup, and I looked up what we used to run :
Bard (Speed/End/PoM - Mez/AE Mez) was our group leader
Cleric (Yellow buffs, body/spirit/enerty resists, rest healing)
Druid (Buffs up to yellow haste, matter/heat/cold resists, rest healing)

Warrior (Main Assist, Shield + 2hander toggle)
2nd damage melee (Berserker or Savage were used, but BM, Merc or Hero would have worked fine)

We usually ran with two casters on Mordred
Eldritch (Light Eld, cold damage, baseline stun, nearsight, AE mez)
2nd caster or a melee was usually a pick-up

last slot for anyone. Sometimes an Aug healer when running full melee group.

The thing is there were so many options on Mordred, but the core of Bard/Cleric/Druid is very tough to beat as they have every required support buff and resists. and offer strong healing.
Only with this setup you had the option to run 5 dps classes, or 4 Mellee and an Aug healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Since Lethantis is new RAs I've decided to make a Minstrel on Uth with the old RAs and make a SB for PvP. That way I won't feel compelled to AT and miss all the sweet PvP exp. God knows a Minst with only stealth and weapon would be fodder to everyone. And I love the 50 instru, 37 slash, 25 stealth spec too much.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2015

• Locked thread