Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Holly hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
shameless self promotion, here's my band playing in lithuania a few weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOan9XNRgY

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

nerve posted:

Can't wait till I start hearing Baroness on my local alternative rock station

This already happened with Yellow/Green. Take My Bones Away was in pretty heavy rotation, at least where I live.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Polegrinder posted:

Hey send me some knowledge on good Florida Doom/Sludge/Stoner bands. Thank you in advance!!

Cosm and Cave of the Swimmers are both fun, in addition to what has been said.

Dyna Soar posted:

Consular, Railsplitter, Dark Castle, Shroud Eater, Cavity, Floor, Dove, House of Lightning, Torche and Sloth off the top of my head. Not sure how many are active any more.

Bit of a derail but Railsplitter was the first actually heavy band I ever saw live. I've got copies of 860 Some Odd Lbs. (CD and vinyl :smugdog:) and Sunday Morning in the Church of the Head Crushing Riff that are my my sacred treasures.

You never forget the first time your eyes vibrate from bass :allears:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

nerve posted:

everywhere gets skipped.

True :(

I should start actually using some time off and go to some shows in MD anyhow. I just missed a ton in Frederick of all places.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ChickenArise posted:

True :(

I should start actually using some time off and go to some shows in MD anyhow. I just missed a ton in Frederick of all places.

I regularly go to Madison and Chicago for shows. Milwaukee plus those two means I get most stuff. It's pretty great.

And being so close to Bongripper is just heaven to a stoner/doom fan

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Another new Baroness tune ahead of the album's December release:

https://youtu.be/hS5osAdTnm0

I like it. I was a huge fan of Yellow & Green, though, and this feels like a continuation of that sound.

Yellow & Green owned and this track is pretty good, excited as hell for this album

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Maybe it's old news, but The Body released an album with Krieg. I don't know who the latter is.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

anticake posted:

This already happened with Yellow/Green. Take My Bones Away was in pretty heavy rotation, at least where I live.

I remember flipping thru the stations here in Knoxville, and Take My Bones Away coming on. I stopped surprised, and then my wife asking me why I stopped on what she thought sound like 90's Nickelback garbage. I tried to explain to her how wrong she was, but now I can't stop thinking about Nickelback when I hear anything from that album (Cocainium is a great song).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

smallmouth posted:

Maybe it's old news, but The Body released an album with Krieg. I don't know who the latter is.

They're a not very good American black metal band.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

A human heart posted:

They're a not very good American black metal band.

The Body is really really good though so maybe it will balance out

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I actually really like the album. It's more in the vein of I Shall Die Here.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Late to the party, but holy poo poo is Fuzz II good. I know it's a little bit pysch-y, but Segall continues to be the poo poo. So stoked to see him in January

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I saw Spirit Caravan last night and not only did they rule but they played new music from a new album that is coming next year and it was good. That is exciting to me, I didn't know there was new music in the works until last night.

Elder was loving great. Glad I braved the loving brutal weather we had yesterday, woooorth.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Is anyone doing anything interesting sludge wise lately
Other than thou, the body etc.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 19, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Stravinsky posted:

I wished. What would I give for a new good 'Acid Bath' type group to come out. Hell what would I give for Dax to give in, and rejoin Acid Bath for one last tour (Sammy said Dax is the one holding out).

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

gently caress-Ushima for some grindy sludge or sludgy grind, whatevs. https://gently caress-ushima.bandcamp.com/

sludge as it was made back in the good old days seems to be dead & gone unfortunately. oh well, i'll put some greenmachine on on my way home.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Stravinsky posted:

Yeah, Bongripper and Inter Arma released some noteworthy material last year.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj39FpvdNGE

gently caress-Ushima appear to have one of the worst best music videos of all time.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Stravinsky posted:

Did you listen to Old Man Gloom's album(s) from last year?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Yeah, Bongripper and Inter Arma released some noteworthy material last year.

Are either of those sludge, though? I mean I'm first to admit the whole term is retarded and vague to begin with, but I've always thought sludge being poo poo like EHG, Grief, Noothgrush, Dystopia etc, not artsy poo poo like Inter Arma or lazy pentatonic riff worship like Bongripper. Back in the 90s, when a band was called sludge you kinda knew what you were getting but now, it could range from Mastodon or Torche and their pop sensibilities to artsy weirdo poo poo like Inter Arma to the nihilistic grindcore of gently caress-Ushima. I mean, what is sludge in the year 2015? Cause it sure ain't what it used to be.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 19, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

Are either of those sludge, though? I mean I'm first to admit the whole term is retarded and vague to begin with, but I've always thought sludge being poo poo like EHG, Grief, Noothgrush, Dystopia etc, not artsy poo poo like Inter Arma or lazy pentatonic riff worship like Bonbripper. Back in the 90s, when a band was called sludge you kinda knew what you were getting but now, it could range from Mastodon or Torche and their pop sensibilities to artsy weirdo poo poo like Inter Arma to the nihilistic grindcore of gently caress-Ushima. I mean, what is sludge in the year 2015? Cause it sure ain't what it used to be.

Atmospheric sludge has been a thing since Neurosis stopped playing punk, so almost as long as regular old sludge has existed. Inter Arma definitely qualifies.

But yeah, as far as the classic hateful NOLA sound or its derivations I've got nothing for this year. Last year had Indian and Lord Mantis at least.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Atmospheric sludge has been a thing since Neurosis stopped playing punk, so almost as long as regular old sludge has existed. Inter Arma definitely qualifies.

But yeah, as far as the classic hateful NOLA sound or its derivations I've got nothing for this year. Last year had Indian and Lord Mantis at least.

Well, Neurosis is a differnet thing and transcend all genres but I guess this is the fanboy in me speaking, hah.

I think it might be part because punks aren't making sludge anymore, the aesthetic and overall sound has moved towards a more psychedelic 70s thing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Henchman of Santa posted:

I hate that it wasn't until the late 90's that I got into sludge, but that NOLA sound was just amazing. I already mentioned them, but there are two bands that I can always listen to and never get tired of, one is Pink Floyd and the other is Acid Bath. While Dax Riggs is not the greatest front-man live (he comes across as too shy at times), he is one of my all-time favorite vocalists (plus his lyrics are beautifully dark). Dax's voice mixed with Sammy's background screams are the greatest one two punch vocally I have ever heard. I know they are a mix of different metal genres, but I still consider them part sludge. God I'm always looking for an excuse to jizz over Acid Bath (now playing Dr. Seuss is Dead).

Also Dyna-Sonar mentioned Dystopia (who I consider pure sludge), and man their album Human = Garbage is disgustingly great.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I hate that it wasn't until the late 90's that I got into sludge, but that NOLA sound was just amazing. I already mentioned them, but there are two bands that I can always listen to and never get tired of, one is Pink Floyd and the other is Acid Bath. While Dax Riggs is not the greatest front-man live (he comes across as too shy at times), he is one of my all-time favorite vocalists (plus his lyrics are beautifully dark). Dax's voice mixed with Sammy's background screams are the greatest one two punch vocally I have ever heard. I know they are a mix of different metal genres, but I still consider them part sludge. God I'm always looking for an excuse to jizz over Acid Bath (now playing Dr. Seuss is Dead).

Also Dyna-Sonar mentioned Dystopia (who I consider pure sludge), and man their album Human = Garbage is disgustingly great.

Dystopia are the best. So are Acid Bath, especially their first album. Second one is great, too but there's so many ballads, hah! Still a great SLUDGE band no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5PU9YNlGM

It's not just NOLA, though although NOLA had a lot of great sludge. Grief were from New England, Dystopia from the Bay Area with Neurosis, Iron Monkey from England, Corrupted & Greenmachine etc. from Japan.. It was a worldwide phenomenom.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Stravinsky posted:

BEASTWARS put out a very nice sludgy album a couple years ago. They also have awesome album art:

https://beastwars.bandcamp.com/album/blood-becomes-fire

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if ur in canada theyre called beasties

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

OpaqueEcho posted:

BEASTWARS put out a very nice sludgy album a couple years ago. They also have awesome album art:

https://beastwars.bandcamp.com/album/blood-becomes-fire

These guys have a dumb name but they're very good live. They're also supposed to be putting a third album out next year sometime.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A human heart posted:

These guys have a dumb name but they're very good live. They're also supposed to be putting a third album out next year sometime.

I think they're too old to know it was a childrens show about transforming robots

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Here's another new Mammatus track. This one leans more towards their classic stoner sound: http://thebaybridged.com/2015/11/19/premiere-mammatus-emerges-from-santa-cruz-with-new-heavy-psych-jams/

Also, a new Waingro album: http://waingro.bandcamp.com/

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Waingro is cool, gonna peep that new album.
Indian Handcrafts played last night and it was pretty sludgy. Two piece that's kind of mix of Melvins/Big Business/Black Cobra, new album on Sargent House engineered by Toshi Kasai. Seen them open for Boris before and wasn't expecting much- was actually there to see the grungey openers Greys.
Also Shooting Guns/ ZAUM collab is good
https://shootingguns.bandcamp.com/album/himalaya-to-mesopotamia

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Dragged into Sunlight & Gnaw Their Tongues' collab is out in full on Spotify and Bandcamp:
https://draggedintosunlight-official.bandcamp.com/album/n-v

Maybe more suited to the metal thread but there are a few DiS listeners in these circles.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Where do I start with Sunn 0)))?They are touring and I am curious if I should go

I realise they are an experience rather than a band you listen to but I need to know their "hits" I guess.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Laserface posted:

Where do I start with Sunn 0)))?They are touring and I am curious if I should go

I realise they are an experience rather than a band you listen to but I need to know their "hits" I guess.

monoliths & dimensions is the most accessible if the word is in any way meaningful in this case, heh.

go see them, you won't regret it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Laserface posted:

If you like drone, ии Void.

If you like black metal, Black One.

If you like weirdo experimental poo poo, White1 then White2.

Monoliths & Dimensions is great but I think it's more interesting in context.

Also a couple of their live recordings are quite good though they'll prepare you about as much for Sunn O))) live as watching Lethal Weapon will prepare you for getting shot. Try Domkirke or Agharti. Or their bandcamp which has half the shows they've performed in the last ten years

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

skasion posted:

If you like drone, ии Void.

If you like black metal, Black One.

If you like weirdo experimental poo poo, White1 then White2.

Monoliths & Dimensions is great but I think it's more interesting in context.

Also a couple of their live recordings are quite good though they'll prepare you about as much for Sunn O))) live as watching Lethal Weapon will prepare you for getting shot. Try Domkirke or Agharti. Or their bandcamp which has half the shows they've performed in the last ten years
Great post. Domkirke is a great record, if you treat it like their other LPs rather than a "live album".

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Laserface posted:

If you like Sunn O))), try Burial Chamber Trio. It's Greg Anderson and Attila Csihar with multi-instrumentalist Oren Ambarchi. They released a live show on vinyl back in '07 that was pretty cool.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I'm with you on Acid Bath, I jizz all over them whenever I can. Got into them before I had internet (I am old) and heard them on a local underground radio show. He can be shy, in some of the old live AB shows he conjured up some shirtless intensity at times though (I have that bootleg DVD thing that Rotten released). While I still love Dax's voice I'm not too jazzed about his solo work. Pretty basic stuff. Funny that you mentioned Pink Floyd because I always thought the DBATEM album "If This is Hell Then I'm Lucky" sounded like Pink Floyd with heavier guitars. Agents Of Oblivion was pretty awesome too, some of the live vids like this one include some screams that evoke Acid Bath a bit, even with crappy audio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3by_KIVUU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I like we sing of only blood and love a lot but the second one, say goodnight to the world (i think?) is kind of boring yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Listening to Bullhead for the first time in a long while and it's even better than I remembered. I don't think it will ever be topped as the best sludge rock album ever.