Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Because I would have thought someone else would have done it before me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EQ-SWIt_Lw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Turnquiet posted:

I saw the title of the video and I had an idea of what it was before I even clicked play. I clicked play, it turned out to be exactly what I thought it was and I had a good laugh. Nice job :golfclap:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't to the tune of "My Sharona". Fail.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

Outstanding

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I moved house the other day and my mom tore the corner of my righteous fury road poster D:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

MrWillsauce posted:

I moved house the other day and my mom tore the corner of my righteous fury road poster D:

:sever:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MrWillsauce posted:

Matricide.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Should I cut her breaklines so she can die historic?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MrWillsauce posted:

I had a poster! I had a righteous Fury Road poster! And it was perfect! Perfect in every way!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MrWillsauce posted:

Should I cut her breaklines so she can die historic?

She is not wanted in Valhalla. :colbert:
:mediocre:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Miller has a pretty cool filmography

You really do forget how visually striking those penguin movies are. Also, needs more Babe 2, there isn't a single shot in that movie that isn't astonishing to look at.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You know its weird these catchphrases aren't getting old at all. Seriously, no sarcasm at all, I love these catchphrases and I usually hate catchphrases.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Basebf555 posted:

You know its weird these catchphrases aren't getting old at all. Seriously, no sarcasm at all, I love these catchphrases and I usually hate catchphrases.
The reason for this might be that not only are those lines funny/badass/wonderfully over the top, there's also at least a little bit of actual meaning behind most of them; they don't just exist for the sake of having catchphrases. Or perhaps it's simply because they're associated with a really drat good film. v:shobon:v

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MMAgCh posted:

The reason for this might be that not only are those lines funny/badass/wonderfully over the top, there's also at least a little bit of actual meaning behind most of them; they don't just exist for the sake of having catchphrases. Or perhaps it's simply because they're associated with a really drat good film. v:shobon:v

I think you're right. They're not just meaningless sayings or joking one-liners, like "Git'r dun" or something. "Shiny and chrome" is a reference to a super badass film that also has a tangible meaning behind it, like you're giving a real compliment to something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love these catchphrases too, and I'm a Star Wars fan who never thought "a hive of scum and villainy" was worth quoting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Witness Meeeee!!!!!" especially is a really a interesting phrase and you could spend a lot of time thinking about what exactly it means to the warboys and how they think about death. Like, they all seem to have come to terms with their own mortality and I suppose a slow death by radiation poisoning will do that, but the culture Immortan Joe has developed seems to really emphasize living on through those that witnessed your ridiculously badass exploits.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
The Nut Behind The Wheel

By the standards of our society, Nux is a suicidal and bloodthirsty lunatic, but by the standards of his own mad world and the twisted and evil society that spawned him, he is a truly good person, a veritable Boy Scout, upright, correct, and totally sincere. He takes part in objectification and oppression, but only because he has literally never been exposed to any other point of view. He never even thinks to wonder how the "breeders" feel about captivity, all he knows is that some filthy traitor took his Savior's stuff and he's going to get it back or die trying. He's not horrified by the up-close look at the true power of the Fury storm, he's overjoyed that as he sees the other pursuit vehicle explode he not only got to witness so many of his friends dying awesome, the explosion of their vehicle gave him the idea of how he can stop the War Rig. The fact that he will immolate himself in doing so is seen as a positive because he will die in battle and not from non-Hodgkin lymphoma. He doesn't even consider that other people might not share his point of view, that Max may object to being tied to the front of a car and drained of his blood. "Witness me, blood bag!" He tells Max, as he mixes gasoline and nitromethane in the cab of his car. Because obviously if Max survives the explosion his first priority is going to be to walk back to the Citadel to return to life as a blood bag, but before he's hung upside down in a cage for the mutant albino vampire psycho buffet he'll be able to share the heroic story of Nux blowing himself up to stop the Rig. That is a completely reasonable and plausible chain of events in Nux's awful worldview.

And yet this completely brainwashed youth is turned into a true hero by being treated as a person, not a cog in a war machine. Being shown genuine human love, respect, and friendship for only one day turned Nux from "generic psycho in a Mad Max movie" into "good person by any standard". As in John 15:13, Nux lays down his life for his friends in what is easily my favorite scene in this movie.

Nux wanted to "die historic on the Fury Road" and he did. He died a more historic death than any War Boy ever, despite being arguably the second-greatest traitor to his society in history behind Furiosa. Nux had things to lose with his death, things no other War Boy in history ever had, things like the respect of Furiosa, the friendship of Max, and most importantly the budding romantic love of Capable. Unlike all the other War Boys in history, Nux had just seen (or at least heard) the Savior himself die, the keys to Valhalla metaphorically fall from the Gatekeeper's lifeless hands. For the first time in his life, Nux was not completely sure of what would happen when he died, but he made the choice to throw away his own life to block the pass so that his brothers in arms Max and Furiosa and his first love Capable would have a chance to create a new society, and although he didn't get to see it, it worked.

http://i.imgur.com/Leue4LR.jpg

There is no Valhalla for Nux to go to, it is a fiction created by Joe, cobbled together from various pre-collapse myths and religions, deliberately calculated to inspire the maximum amount of suicidal devotion in Joe's followers. Yet, Nux does indeed ride eternal, shiny and chrome. Witness me, he whispers to Capable through the windshield of the War Rig as Rictus tears out its heart. But he's not just asking Capable to witness him, he's asking the viewer. As Nux was privileged to witness Morsov's awesome death against the Buzzards, so are we priviliged to witness Nux's historic death on the Fury Road. Just as I do not believe as those around me do when they bow their heads to say grace at the dinner table, but still I bow my head out of respect for their beliefs even if their ideas are no more true to me than Nux's concept of Valhalla, so do I throw up my hands in the sign of the V8 when Nux asks the viewer to witness him. Any male who ever did something because it was badass and awesome and not because it was the smartest thing to do, any guy who ever drove a car at an unsafe speed or fought a dude he didn't know if he could beat, better throw up the sign of the V8 for Nux. As long as there's one DVD or Blu-Ray of Fury Road and a machine to play it on, Nux rides eternal through Valhalla.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Witnessed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I will also state that The Capable, when she witnesses Nux, does the Vuvalini gesture for remembrance, further reinforcing the film's central thesis of cross-gender cooperation and respect is required for us to thrive.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

I will also state that The Capable, when she witnesses Nux, does the Vuvalini gesture for remembrance, further reinforcing the film's central thesis of cross-gender cooperation and respect is required for us to thrive.

I saw a gifset somewhere that had a shot of her face as he points to her----she's whispering back, 'Witness!' and that's his cue to jackknife the Rig. He knew she saw, and that was enough.

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 18, 2015

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I asked my new friend from work if he saw Fury Road, and he was like gently caress yeah that movie was badass! And then we talked about how awesome it was and then we talked about metal for like an hour. We're buds now.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
This has probably been mentioned before, but I was watching Fury Road the other day and realized that Slit's scars are the kind of thing you'd see on somebody that slammed gums first into a steering wheel and got their face peeled back. Maybe he used to be a driver, but lost his ride. It would kind of explain his attitude some, he lost his car and missed his chance to enter Valhalla.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This has probably been mentioned before, but I was watching Fury Road the other day and realized that Slit's scars are the kind of thing you'd see on somebody that slammed gums first into a steering wheel and got their face peeled back. Maybe he used to be a driver, but lost his ride. It would kind of explain his attitude some, he lost his car and missed his chance to enter Valhalla.
His right eye is messed up as well, which might have rendered him ineligible to drive. Although no one seems to mind a guy lacking depth perception throwing thunderpoons, so who knows.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

MMAgCh posted:

His right eye is messed up as well, which might have rendered him ineligible to drive. Although no one seems to mind a guy lacking depth perception throwing thunderpoons, so who knows.

I've always liked that Slit's right eye and the skull's right eye on the wheel he picks are both red. Does the film ever specify whether specific wheels "belong" to specific cars/drivers? I much prefer the idea that each driver picks one from the shrine each time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cheston posted:

I've always liked that Slit's right eye and the skull's right eye on the wheel he picks are both red. Does the film ever specify whether specific wheels "belong" to specific cars/drivers? I much prefer the idea that each driver picks one from the shrine each time.

Every wheel is unique to the car. You can even see that when the Peacemaker's wheel is attached to the War Rig, Furiosa has a little difficulty getting it to lock in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nux flat out yells at Slit for taking his wheel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nux flat out yells at Slit for taking his wheel.

Well they're partners so it could be interpreted as Nux yelling at Slit for trying to usurp his position as driver. But yea, all signs point to the steering wheels being individual.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Well they're partners so it could be interpreted as Nux yelling at Slit for trying to usurp his position as driver. But yea, all signs point to the steering wheels being individual.

It looks like Slit is at least as good a driver and fighter as most of the War Boys and gets promoted to driver for the final chase. I'm guessing he used to be a driver, and may have even been Nux's driver once, but suffered a massive crash that failed to kill him and just scarred him for life. This led to the weak Nux becoming the driver, which Slit would resent.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Got three copies of Fury Road on DVD for Christmas for me, my Dad, and my brother. Good poo poo :cool:

My Dad may also get a nice boxset of the original trilogy on DVD too so he doesn't have to keep firing up the VHS player when he wants to watch them :v:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
On my God-knows-how-many-th time watching Fury Road again, I finally realised that the reason the Vuvalini rather uselessly tries to club Rictus with her rifle near the end of the final chase isn't because she goes berserk after he struck one of her companions. (Though that no doubt figures into it too.) Rather, when Max snatched her gun from her to shoot the chainsaw mook about to kill Furiosa a few minutes prior, it still had the ramrod in its barrel. By firing the rifle at him he impaled the guy with the ramrod, therefore making it essentially impossible for the Vuvalini to reload the gun any more. :aaa:

This probably wasn't news to anyone other than myself, but it totally put into perspective a scene that had always seemed a little nonsensical to me before ("let's engage the hulking brute in hand-to-hand combat when I have a perfectly good ranged weapon :downs:"). What a film. :allears:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
It was pointed out the me the other day that Morsov (Witness Him!) starts out as the gunner on the vehicle that goes into the spike trap, then he's picked up by one of the motorcycles and does his bit as a lancer, and then he's brought over the war rig and put in charge of the harpoon gun. The details in this movie.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 24, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

It looks like Slit is at least as good a driver and fighter as most of the War Boys and gets promoted to driver for the final chase. I'm guessing he used to be a driver, and may have even been Nux's driver once, but suffered a massive crash that failed to kill him and just scarred him for life. This led to the weak Nux becoming the driver, which Slit would resent.

Slit's onscreen driving career lasts like eight seconds before he zips between a couple of fighting tankers and gets punked, I'm not sure how you can do any worse in a desert expanse with nothing else to crash into

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Slit's onscreen driving career lasts like eight seconds before he zips between a couple of fighting tankers and gets punked, I'm not sure how you can do any worse in a desert expanse with nothing else to crash into

So basically, Slit is Tina and Joe is Bob and this is what Slit's driver training probably went like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_EKHGgWJQ

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Poor Slit, the guy tries so hard but just can't win.

Do you realise that Slit is one of the warboys who didn't get witnessed on his death? He was in Max's car as it got crushed between the two trucks, but even if anybody took notice of the car between the two big rigs they still wouldn't have known it was Slit, he wasn't supposed to be the driver.

He did look pretty happy as he died, maybe he believed it was enough for Valhalla, but still his little "witness me" probably went unheard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That's because Slit was :mediocre:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
What did happen to the fourth War Boy riding in the Razor Cola, anyway? The one who fires the speargun gets killed right away by one of the Vuvalini, and the Valkyrie later shoots the driver. But that still leaves the other guy, who drops the spike strips when the car gets in front of the War Rig. Yet when Slit's at the wheel, he's nowhere to be seen.

I bet Slit just laid him out with a punch and took the car for himself. Because he's a dick.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

What did happen to the fourth War Boy riding in the Razor Cola, anyway? The one who fires the speargun gets killed right away by one of the Vuvalini, and the Valkyrie later shoots the driver. But that still leaves the other guy, who drops the spike strips when the car gets in front of the War Rig. Yet when Slit's at the wheel, he's nowhere to be seen.

I bet Slit just laid him out with a punch and took the car for himself. Because he's a dick.

I always figured he did to that guy whatever it was he was planning on doing to Nux in the first chase.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I don't remember Slit ever trying to hurt Nux

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrWillsauce posted:

I don't remember Slit ever trying to hurt Nux
He did plan to take his car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Nessus posted:

He did plan to take his car

Yeah but he was already a corpse.

• Locked thread