Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this poo poo sucks

as it turns out, you can basically do about the same poo poo. open up facebook. read an email

"worlds most advanced operating system"? who cares if using computers is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

welcome friend

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
install kali and windows 7 congratulations you have the best laptop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most people would probably be excited to get this laptop

i mean the hardware is fuckin nice. ive always admired it from afar but in person yeah its about as good as it gets

but ugh setting up a thing..

"do you want icloud drive. icloud drive is not compatible with
*lists every other device I have*
"

I guessed and clicked "not yet"?

and its runing moutain osx. i know its now mexican osx but is it worth upgrading

and poo poo about osx has impressed me always and in person yeah its so satisfying how the l;appy is so fast to open and apps open so well i can see how windows sucks compared to

but then something is different. ugh. shut the lids. computers are a waste of time. have sex with youre wife instead anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm an overmachaver

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

its almost like y, and in fact every, os is a pos

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

gangtag

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

and its runing moutain osx
mountain lion from 10.8? did you get a 3 year old laptop from 2012 much like how you buy your iphone?

guess that's not too bad since that should be sandybridge based, but the battery life is a lot worse than haswell and later

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no moutain. the desktop has a large picture of a mountain

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the one that sounds like vegemite

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

the one that sounds like vegemite

if vegemite is pronounced vegy-mity sure

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

echinopsis posted:

most people would probably be excited to get this laptop

i mean the hardware is fuckin nice. ive always admired it from afar but in person yeah its about as good as it gets

but ugh setting up a thing..

"do you want icloud drive. icloud drive is not compatible with
*lists every other device I have*
"

I guessed and clicked "not yet"?

and its runing moutain osx. i know its now mexican osx but is it worth upgrading

and poo poo about osx has impressed me always and in person yeah its so satisfying how the l;appy is so fast to open and apps open so well i can see how windows sucks compared to

but then something is different. ugh. shut the lids. computers are a waste of time. have sex with youre wife instead anyway

how is icloud drive not compatible with other apple stuff you have? Are you still sporting a cool 4S in a leather flip case that has all your cards and cash in it?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
osx doesn't really shine until you've been using it for a year and realize you weren't forced to jump through any bullshit hoops that windows has

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
If you want to Linux up your OSX I suggest Hammerspoon, OP.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i am also now a machaver, got a refurb 13" mba this week

so far all it has done is expose flaws and issues with other companies' poo poo

went to watch something on amazon prime video in safari. had to install silverlight because amazon doesn't do html5 video in safari!??!!!?? that made the mba get nuclear hot and sound like a jet taking off

so installed chrome but when i tried to play a video it gave me some poo poo about updating a drm thingie, told me to go to about:components and click the update button for a component. I did and then the video worked but why couldn't it do that automatically???

anyway yeah the mba is a nice machine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah, there's really no reason to use safari on a mac. unless you want to watch those apple keynotes or something

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Necc0 posted:

osx doesn't really shine until you've been using it for a year and realize you weren't forced to jump through any bullshit hoops that windows has

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

akadajet posted:

yeah, there's really no reason to use safari on a mac. unless you want to watch those apple keynotes or something

It's faster these days and uses much less power than Chrome, which should only be used when you need it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

is there any reason not to sell my 2015 13" mbp and buy/trade for a The New MacBook

i p much only use it for internets in bed and travelling

Necc0 posted:

such as.................

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

this poo poo sucks

as it turns out, you can basically do about the same poo poo. open up facebook. read an email

"worlds most advanced operating system"? who cares if using computers is the worst

ok now imagine that you will be able to keep doing this, for 5-8 years, without having to buy a new one or worry about it turning into a creaky piece of poo poo from normal use

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

is there any reason not to sell my 2015 13" mbp and buy/trade for a The New MacBook

i p much only use it for internets in bed and travelling

such as.................

updates are ready for your computer. we've scheduled a restart for you

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

such as.................

off the top of my head: scroll mouse scrolling your focused window not the one your mouse is over, buggy and janked hibernation/sleep, oem wifi drivers that have a mind of their own, soundcard that decides it will start blasting white noise at full volume with no warning even if it's muted

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Necc0 posted:

off the top of my head: scroll mouse scrolling your focused window not the one your mouse is over, buggy and janked hibernation/sleep, oem wifi drivers that have a mind of their own, soundcard that decides it will start blasting white noise at full volume with no warning even if it's muted

well okay you me with the focused scrolling, but i never had that last prob in like 10 years of onboard realteks and the sleep/wifi prob honestly happens to me more on macs, like I would leave my macbook for a couple of hours and come back and its not sleeping or hibernating, it friggin shut down, and turns out the fix for any problem like that is reset smc/pram which gets kinda old because i can never remember the steps. also my '15 mbp still has that problem where if bluetooth is enabled then wifi take likes two and a half centuries to reconnect, and also sometimes when i wake the macbook it tells me theres no bluetooth device (like not just disabled, but literally greyed out) and if a restart doesnt fix that I have to delete some .plist or some poo poo

otoh I haven't used a windows laptop in like 7-8 years so i dont really know how much worse a windows laptop would be

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

they put off focus scrolling in Windows 10 at least

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well okay you me with the focused scrolling, but i never had that last prob in like 10 years of onboard realteks and the sleep/wifi prob honestly happens to me more on macs, like I would leave my macbook for a couple of hours and come back and its not sleeping or hibernating, it friggin shut down, and turns out the fix for any problem like that is reset smc/pram which gets kinda old because i can never remember the steps. also my '15 mbp still has that problem where if bluetooth is enabled then wifi take likes two and a half centuries to reconnect, and also sometimes when i wake the macbook it tells me theres no bluetooth device (like not just disabled, but literally greyed out) and if a restart doesnt fix that I have to delete some .plist or some poo poo

otoh I haven't used a windows laptop in like 7-8 years so i dont really know how much worse a windows laptop would be

a Windows laptop will easily have all these problems and more except there isn't a Genius Bar to take it to

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pc laptops will have problems like the lid switch breaking (because it's a physical switch and not a Hall effect sensor) and the latch not latching (because it doesn't use magnets) or the case creaking (because it's cheap chintzy plastic even thou you paid as much as a MacBook or more)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my only osx gripe is that I made customizations to the ken burns screensaver because the slowest default setting is way too god damned fast and it gets overwritten every time I update to a new release

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also pc trackpads are universally, unmitigated garbage whereas the Mac trackpad at least sorta works

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Necc0 posted:

my only osx gripe is that I made customizations to the ken burns screensaver because the slowest default setting is way too god damned fast and it gets overwritten every time I update to a new release

Agreed, but this is also shamefully nerdy

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Silver Alicorn posted:

also pc trackpads are universally, unmitigated garbage whereas the Mac trackpad at least sorta works

oh how did i forget the most infuriating thing about my work laptop: mine has a nipple mouse in the keyboard and it's impossible to disable. it's also super sensitive so if i'm ever typing and so much as even brush that nip it registers as a mouse click and lol now i'm typing somewhere else. every time i disable the loving thing it re-enables itself within a day.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

trackpoints used to be cool. what happened

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the other great part of a Mac is getting a new Mac and restoring your time machine backup to the new one

getting a new windows computer is whole wasted day with windows updates, drivers, app installs, changing settings and coping files

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

the other great part of a Mac is getting a new Mac and restoring your time machine backup to the new one

getting a new windows computer is whole wasted day with windows updates, drivers, app installs, changing settings and coping files

lmao if you don't take a new computer as an opportunity to start fresh

:pt: all day every day

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

i hope you like swishing your fingers about in your lace cravats

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Silver Alicorn posted:

they put off focus scrolling in Windows 10 at least
it's felt incredibly inconsistent though in my experience :confused:

but inconsistency is windows over the last 4 years in a nutshell

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

emoji posted:

It's faster these days and uses much less power than Chrome, which should only be used when you need it.

i use safari as my ~*daily driver*~ and then fire up chrome if something i want to see needs flash

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

here are some of my favorite macthings:

1. In every IDE on the planet, double-clicking a file in the project view will open that file in the IDE. In Xcode, double-clicking a file will open it in a quirky cute fun design language pop-up window outside of the IDE. This is wonderful and great and never annoying. Especially when switching between Xcode and normal IDEs several times a day.

2. In Finder, double-clicking a folder navigates you into that folder. This is also true in Windows Explorer. And every other operating system. This is also true in every "Open File" dialog ever.

However, In Xcode... and I am not making this up:

- Select "Add Files to project"
- A normal-looking Finder-type "open file" dialog appears.
- Double-click a folder....

There is no confirmation. There is no indication that Xcode did anything. Xcode is now importing your entire loving home directory. There is no way to cancel this.

Why is your Xcode project now taking up three terabytes? Because gently caress you that's why.

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 21, 2015

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yeah xcode is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

iCloud Drive works on iOS, windows and mac so what the hell devices are you talking about

• Locked thread